GoT Season 6 Discussion (SPOILERS)

phylum

Re: GoT Season 6 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by phylum » 27 Jun 2016, 19:52

I feel like they could have stretched some of the content from that episode over the rest of the season. I mean holy shit, for a season that was so slow most of the time those last 2 episodes were wall to wall.

I have to say overall I'm not super impressed by the second act of the story. Seriously where did we actually go? Stannis died without achieving much, other than saving The Wall. The Boltons are dead. Walder Frey is dead. As far as the big players go, The North is united under a king, the Iron Islanders are pissed off, Dany has an army and dragons and wants to conquer Westeros, Dorne is pissed off, King's Landing is in control of the Lannisters and there's a crazy Lannister on the throne... oh wait we have actually been here before. I mean there's been some good character stuff, but we've basically gone in a circle and that feels a little cheap. The most interesting book stuff for Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jamie and Brienne was really hammered back and given this middle part of the story has been all about characters that's a really big hit. Not to mention the Dorne and Varys/Illyrio conspiracies that were cut out.

So yeah a few rushed deaths. I know there will be more from the High Sparrow in the books, so I'm looking forward to that. I feel like he did nothing all season just to die. Same with Margaery, and Tommo got a pretty short end of the stick. Still, "maggy" said that Cersei would lose everything to a younger and more beautiful queen, like the one sailing west now, and then die to her younger brother. I just wonder which brother?

Anyway Jon's a fucken Targaryen. I knew it was coming this episode, with him back in Winterfell. I was hoping for this conflict with DA KING IN DA NORF too - he might still have Stark blood, but he's still going to have to choose between being next in line to the Iron throne (Rhaegar's son comes before his sister) and ruling The North. Also I doubt the North has forgotten Aerys Targaryen burning Rickard Stark alive without a trial while Brandon Stark suffocated to death trying to save his father.

Fucking hype seeing those red on black banners at the end though, Dany's going home at loooooooong last.

edit: Oh and Branno is definitely going south of The Wall. I mean Benjen said he had to leave them because he can't go past The Wall, so if they weren't planning on going down to rendezvous with other people then they'd just stay with Benjen... and die.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 27 Jun 2016, 21:55

Makena wrote:
kharis wrote:Dont think bran will go south of the wall. He may have no power on the other side
He might have to, to let Jon know of his parentage
Well, that and he's technically the Stark heir.
Makena wrote:l

Lady Mormont is fucking awesome

Can confirm, best character of the series so far... she's a baller.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

kharis

Post by kharis » 27 Jun 2016, 22:02

i was waiting for this,
but she's still awesome

and this...

so at the moment, we have lady rulers pretty much everywhere...
feeling a bit left out sansa? :P
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 27 Jun 2016, 23:44

The way Sansa was reclining at the end there watching everyone call John the King of the North did she not just have a word with Miss Mormont and set it all up to mess with Littlefinger's plans?

Is Bran going through the Wall not going to let the White walkers through as well? I mean does what happened back at the tree wear off, is the Wall magic different?
Imo, he'll go through, the Wall falls, Winterfell/the North is completely boned and then they fight their way back down to Kings Landing or so before everyone gets their act together, combine/consolidate and make a big finale battle to win it all.
I'm actually not sure how they'll make 2 more seasons out of the show where it isn't just all battles and no drama.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 28 Jun 2016, 00:06

The only bit I didn't get was Uncle Benjen saying there was magic stopping the white walkers from going south... war over then? :P
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

phylum

Post by phylum » 28 Jun 2016, 00:10

Yurtles, well the obvious thing would be that The Wall crumbling won't be that simple ;p

We still have politics. We have the houses of The North united under lord Snow, and he can direct them up to help fight off the invasion of The Others. Cersei is batshit insane. Dany sweeping through is going to be a huge shift of power. Euron is still out there wanting Dany's hand and a to play with her dragons. These are 4 parties that probably don't agree with each other at all, but they can't all fight at the same time :p

On a personal drama level - Jon has to come to terms with being DAKINGOFDANORF,only to have his world shaken when he finds out who his daddy is. Arya is on a vengeful murderspree but has living family still. The Hound is an angry confused dude out there in the world. Jamie has to come to terms with how batshit insane the woman he loves is, and deal with the shit that's going to come from her taking the throne. Dany will probably have some struggles over how many people have to die to get her on the throne - she might have already comes to term with this it's not totally clear. Sansa is going to play some powergames for sure. Bran's probably going to know too much.

The drama in KL is going to be huge. Fighting battles between the crownland, the north and Dany is going to have all kinds of problems with winter here too. The Others are always looming and every battle has serious consequences for their ability to win in the big final fight. There are going to be more battles, and the stakes are going to keep getting higher, but on top of that there's still a lot of drama driving the characters.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 28 Jun 2016, 09:29

Man... Dorne/Varys time travel is weird. So is Arya getting to Walder Frey so quickly. I mean, don't get me wrong, fkn love the fact that Arya fucked him up. I hope she meets up with Jon, Sansa and Bran (when Bran finally gets there and meets the others as well).
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the WW coming to the wall.

R+L=J!!!!

Sansa knows that littlefinger is pissed off that he is king in the north. He is skeeming again the littlecunt. Hope he dies lol.

Wonder how Jon/Sansa/the others at winterfell will take the news Bran delivers, if Bran gets to him.

Jamie, go and kill your sister already. Be the Kingslayer and the Queenslayer!!!
0 x

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 28 Jun 2016, 10:28

House Mormont knows no king but the King in the North, whose name is Geralt of Rivia.
Disruptor4 wrote:Man... Dorne/Varys time travel is weird. So is Arya getting to Walder Frey so quickly.
Sorry, but I do not for the life of me understand why this is so difficult for people. Everyone on reddit, etc. whining about Varys ("omg Varys can teleport"); does it really need to be explained that an arbitrary amount of time can pass between scenes? Or do people really think this entire story takes place over 60 hours? Is it necessary for the show to have "one week later" subtitled at the start of each new shot? It's not just Varys that "teleports" to Daenerys and co., it's the entire naval forces of House Martell (Dorne) and House Tyrell (The Reach). As for Arya, she left the House of Black and White (and presumably Bravos) two episodes ago; it's certainly plausible she could have reached the twins by now via boat or whatever.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 28 Jun 2016, 10:30

Nacimota wrote:stuff
Nah man, we needed 168 episodes (at an hour each) to show Dany loading her entire force onto her fleet of ships, getting provisions and organising it all.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 28 Jun 2016, 10:32

Yeah, coz i said we needed 168 episodes to explain or show them travelling. I'm just saying it looks like they are travelling faster than they should. Never said anything about not doing so. Jesus christ.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 28 Jun 2016, 10:37

Disruptor4 wrote:Yeah, coz i said we needed 168 episodes to explain or show them travelling. I'm just saying it looks like they are travelling faster than they should. Never said anything about not doing so. Jesus christ.
Yes I was being hyperbolic to exaggerate my point, but it begs the question, what do you want then? You seemingly don't want characters covering uneventful travel time over a couple episodes, as Naciomta says it was 2 episodes for Arya to get over the sea and to the Freys, would 3 episodes of off camera be enough, 4? Do you want part of each episode just showing her travelling? There's limited time available in each episode, I don't think using some of that time to show someone just travelling is useful.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 28 Jun 2016, 10:42

Did I say I wanted anything or for them to not cover distances if they aren't on screen? No. Did I say I wanted them to show them travelling? No. I just said it was "weird", meaning I felt like they travel to destinations faster than they should be able to. I didn't say they need to explain it or change it. That goes for Varys, Dorne, Martell's etc. I am not calling it a plot hole either. It's just my observation. Arya's explanation is fine. I forgot she wasn't in Episode 9.

Sorry to ruffle your jimmies with my observation. I'll try not to disagree with you in future.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 28 Jun 2016, 10:46

EDIT: Doesn't matter, difference of opinion etc
0 x

phylum

Post by phylum » 28 Jun 2016, 11:06

The confusing thing that puts a hard limit on how much time has passed had been the looming trial of Cersei. It's not clear how long it took for that to happen, and how much time passed after. Like Jamie made it back to KL seemingly without hearing news of the explosion, which suggests he was well on the road when it happened. The KL stuff could have happened over a day, while Dany's stuff should have taken months. I think the show could do more to tie it together, but this was very easy to follow - it's nothing to get angry about.

The books do time jumps and asynchronous stories too, the chapters definitely aren't chronological. The book handles it better for a few reasons, ignoring that I think that kind of storytelling just works better in books. The show likes to build scenes around drama. This was my big problem with Arya's easy recovery - there have been similar and even more unlikely recoveries, but the fact that they show her getting so dramatically stabbed only for her to sleep it off is having your cake and eating it. People are saying there could have been a time jump there too, but the drama of the stabbing and pace of the following scenes made it hard for me to accept. We have a similar problem with Varys. Rather than having him part of the scene in Dorne, they use him from drama. If Varys had mentioned that he was going back to Dany as fast as he could and he'd be there in 2 months or something, then when we see him at the end we'd know what was going on. They favor drama though. Which is cool, that Varys moment was awesome. They could spend more time working on consistency and establishing time, but then there wouldn't be as much space for the exciting stuff this episode. It's a constant trade-off. If you want a slower more fleshed out telling of the story read the books :p
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 28 Jun 2016, 13:36

Need moar Lord of the Rings style running across ridge-lines :P
0 x

Dinofreak

Post by Dinofreak » 28 Jun 2016, 15:04

Disruptor4 wrote:I am not calling it a plot hole either. It's just my observation.
I know what you mean. Some of the scenes are obviously days/weeks apart but others like Jon Snow's are more like hours. While the episodes flow well, I find it a little odd when things like that happen.
0 x
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 28 Jun 2016, 21:29

LOL @ the "time travel" posts all over the net, the last 3 episodes have been packed with multiple month scene changes just somehow varys is the only one most people noticed.

What i find really interesting is that the last 3 episodes have basically covered an entire book that hasnt been written yet, so when the new season starts Martin will be more than a book behind.

I honestly think he'll choose to stop writing them.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

phylum

Post by phylum » 28 Jun 2016, 23:14

Nekosan wrote:I honestly think he'll choose to stop writing them.
That's very dramatic, and I don't understand what you really mean. The next book is pretty close, and then there's only one left after that. It'll only be another 15 years or so before we have them all :p

At this rate he'll die before he chooses to stop.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 29 Jun 2016, 01:47

0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 29 Jun 2016, 23:40

0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 30 Jun 2016, 08:16

0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Jul 2016, 20:14

For those that need to catch up, Samuel L Jackson's here to save the day...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

kharis

Post by kharis » 14 Jul 2016, 20:58

Saw that this morning so good :)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 24 Jul 2016, 09:06

Bloopers! This had me in tears guys... dunno if it's just me but I haven't laughed this much in ages.

Now we just need one of those reels of how they did the FX for the season.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

kharis

Post by kharis » 24 Jul 2016, 09:55

Those benevolent slavers though...
0 x