Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode VIII)

brimlad

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode VIII)

Post by brimlad » 18 Dec 2017, 11:46

looking forward to seeing 8 after xmas... Question: do we need to see 7 before 8 as we haven't seen 7 yet
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Dec 2017, 13:04

brimlad wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 11:46
looking forward to seeing 8 after xmas... Question: do we need to see 7 before 8 as we haven't seen 7 yet
Yeah, you should. It'll be like watching Empire Strikes Back without seeing A New Hope.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Makena

Post by Makena » 18 Dec 2017, 14:01

brimlad wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 11:46
yeah I'd say you do, you'd work out some key stuff from the context, but other stuff might be a bit murky
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Dec 2017, 19:56

So, now that I've had close to 24hrs to reflect on The Last Jedi, overall, here's a deeper explanation of what I enjoyed from it and what I didn't enjoy:
Thematically, the overall movie is a winner for me. It's very rich in themes and the ones that I enjoyed the most were:
- Letting go of the past to move forward. It's quite a deep theme as you can come at it in different ways... letting go of failure and not letting that stop you progressing, learning to move past success, and learning to accept the truth rather than believe in a lie. This one was ballsy indeed but I think this will help the series move beyond the Skywalker saga after Episode 9 comes out. Hopefully, the star wars universe can go somewhere fresh.
- Learning from the experience and wisdom of others. This one was most prominent in the Holdo/Poe arc which, I quite enjoyed... yes, Holdo keeping the plan from the others did seem a bit silly but from my point of view, it was a good decision considering the mutiny that came about. It's also a theme that's important to me... I've seen too many people in the workplace fuck up constantly despite being told of the risks from someone who may have a bit more experience than they seem at first.

What got annoying for me...
- The execution... there were flaws. For a story with quite heavy themes, the amount of humour was too much... moreso, the type of humour. There's too much 'slapstick' stuff from the Rey cutting off the boulder with the lightsaber and it smashing that wheelbarrow, to the leaky fluid gag with Finn. Some of the humour, like Luke throwing the lightsaber away, worked well... it was unexpected well executed. And the less said about Canto Bight the better... not one second of that arc was enjoyable for me. The chase reminded me of the silly robot factory bit with Anakin and Padme in Attack of the Clones or even the tree swinging sequence in Kingdom of the Crystal Skill.
- A few too many themes shoehorned in... the animal cruelty one felt really out of place. The concept of the wealthy, especially those who profit from war was one I could live with but it doesn't quite mesh with the themes that I enjoyed above. I think the melding of this social commentary and the more internalised themes that focus on how we can better ourselves just doesn't work and ends up off putting. For a deep and personal story, the social commentary just shouldn't be there.

So in the main saga, here's how the movies rank for me:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi/Revenge of the Sith
4. Force Awakens/The Last Jedi (these two are tied... Awakens was more cohesive whilst Last Jedi has the better themes and was more original)
5. Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

Rogue One sits on par with A New Hope for me... I didn't mind the lack of character development as it was mean to just be a snapshot at got the rebellion going.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 20 Dec 2017, 10:19

So I finally saw this and I was... disappointed to say the least. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't entirely a bad film - but it wasn't the greatest film either. Some of the humour was welcome, some of it felt out of place and like they were trying too hard to be funny.

Certain elements felt more WTF just happen here? Is this still Star Wars?
The part with Leia re-entering the bridge - WTF was that? I mean I know there's the force and all but we're seeing it used in ways we've never seen before, it felt a bit much and out of place.
Also, I know they said this wasn't the Empire Strikes Back but c'moooon - it was EXACTLY the Empire Strikes Back with a touch of New Hope only told backwards.

If I had to rate the new Star Wars movies in order I'd say;
1. Rogue One reigns supreme (and it technically wasn't a Star Wars movie).
2. Force Awakens
3. The Last Jedi

EDIT: I wrote this without reading prior posts who seems to suggest similar things to what I was saying.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Dec 2017, 23:17

Well, you knew one of these were coming...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 21 Dec 2017, 11:01

ROFL! That video mentions some really good points I didn't even think about at the time.

Send some ships ahead of them with the FTL. Gold!
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 21 Dec 2017, 11:13

hoping to watch this tomorrow night after work, unless i have to work till midnight again
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Dec 2017, 21:22

Dexterians wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 11:01
ROFL! That video mentions some really good points I didn't even think about at the time.

Send some ships ahead of them with the FTL. Gold!
If you enjoyed that, you'll love all the points this video makes...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 22 Dec 2017, 22:09

Not a happy camper still...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 22 Dec 2017, 22:23

It was... alright. I still loathe both Kylo Ren as a character AND the actor.. not because we're supposed to but because he's such an whiny emo wet blanket. Ugh.

There were a few scenes that, while slightly amusing, moreso had me going "WTF, this isn't appropriate OR Star Warsy?!". Probably know at least one that I mean...
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 Feb 2018, 21:01

Hmmm....

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 17 Mar 2018, 01:35

If true...
Long before J.J. Abrams came onboard to direct, “Jurassic World” filmmaker Colin Trevorrow was slated to helm “Star Wars: Episode IX” and was attached long enough to come up with some ideas for where it should go.

Actor Mark Hamill has previously indicated he and Trevorrow were very much on the same page about the path laid out for the character of Luke Skywalker in the final film. Then Trevorrow was famously let go and ‘The Last Jedi’ changed the franchise’s game plan for Luke Skywalker.

SPOILERS AHEAD FOR “STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI”

Now, a Redditor (via CBM) claims to have some new insight and says Trevorrow fought to have Luke Skywalker remain alive in Episode IX and had big plans for Luke and Leia’s relationship which included exploring her links to the Force in a “beautiful and tragic” way.

Trevorrow also apparently wanted Supreme Leader Snoke to stay alive in order to explore the villain’s backstory and so he would end the trilogy with Luke walking off into the sunset. Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy however were the ones adamant Luke die.
Source: http://www.darkhorizons.com/star-wars-t ... o-posters/

I think I would have preferred to see Trevorrow's vision for Episode IX... but then with Carrie Fisher's passing, no one was gonna get their way now would they.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 29 Mar 2018, 08:46

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 31 Mar 2018, 09:32

Watched it last night and agree with most of the comments here - some bits were OK but pretty disappointing overall. Not sure how they managed to screw it up.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 06 Jul 2018, 18:42

Apparently some Star Wars fans want to remake The Last Jedi. An artist put this together as a statement as to how crazy the whole premise is...
0 x
CherryRed wrote: