The expanse

boars

The expanse

Post by boars » 28 Nov 2015, 15:25

Based on the quite interesting series of books (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expan ... el_series)) is a new SyFi tv series.

The pilot has aired and sounds promising from what I've heard, if you're partial to a bit of space opera.

Seems to have a decent budget but beyond that I don't know too much other than some characters from the second book supposedly make an appearance in the first episode.

The author can definitely keep ahead of the series (unlike RR Martin) as he has released a new book every year in June for the past 5 years!
In fact I didn't even notice the last book come out... so now I've got some reading to do too! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to getting my teeth into it.

Edit: welp time to read the new book I missed :D
0 x

Nekosan

Re: The expanse

Post by Nekosan » 28 Nov 2015, 18:58

The budget isnt amazing i dont think, they were very good at hiding it in the first episode though.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

boars

Post by boars » 28 Nov 2015, 19:02

A few million an episode if I recall correctly, not huge I admit but it wont look too terrible... hopefully :D

Thankfully the books don't need big budgets ;)
0 x

solo0017

Post by solo0017 » 29 Nov 2015, 17:39

boars wrote:Looking forward to getting my teeth into it.
The author of this book series is actually two guys (Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) who use James S. A. Corey as a pen name - Abraham is also a collaborator of R.R. Martin's. I have really enjoyed this book series and I'm looking forward to watching the series to see how it compares.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 30 Nov 2015, 06:28

I've watched the first episode and it was quite good except for one thing.... Thomas Jane. I loved him in The Punisher and he was fantastic in Hung, but nearly every thing else I've seen him in, he always comes off as 'creepy' to me and again in this he just feels creepy. Hopefully he will lose that creepy feeling as I really did like the first episode.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 01 Dec 2015, 00:18

Thomas Jane doesn't bother me in this, doesn't exactly match up with the books but he didn't seem creepy to me... and really Miller isn't exactly a great guy anyway. A bit compromised...

Anyway finished the latest book in 2 nights @_@ I need more sleep @_@

Enjoyed the latest book quite a bit.
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 11 Dec 2015, 08:40

Just started on the 5th book myself! Looking forward to seeing how the series turns out...and crossing fingers we get multiple seasons out of this. Not enough decent space based Sci-fi shows if you ask me!
It'd be good if someone made a TV series based on "The Saga of the Seven Suns", by Kevin J Anderson.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 02 Jan 2016, 00:18

It's been renewed for a second season - http://www.blastr.com/2015-12-31/space- ... eason-syfy
Great to see that happen so early in its first season.

4 episodes in now and it's all really starting to ramp up and iirc (it's been a long long time since I read the first book) it just keeps on going up and never looks back from here.

Also, really cool link to have a look at, the website of guys who did the ship concept art for the show. Has some clean pictures of pretty much all the ships seen so far - http://www.northfrontstudio.com/
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

boars

Post by boars » 02 Jan 2016, 00:24

Oh that's great news!

Thanks for the link, I'd wanted a closer look at them.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 02 Jan 2016, 20:57

Damn there's some amazing artwork on there.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants