Game of Thrones (Season 7) - This thread is dark and full of spoilers

storm84

Re: Game of Thrones (Season 7) - This thread is dark and full of spoilers

Post by storm84 » 21 Aug 2017, 21:59

I think it's pretty apparent that they're working from a broad outline of the story now compared to when they had the full books as the source material. All that material that filled in the gaps in earlier seasons, that made for intrigue and rooted the story, just isn't there now. Not that makes for necessarily bad television - this season is certainly more action packed than books 4 and 5 combined - but there's a part of me that wonders how all this fits together. It doesn't, tbh, at least not in the way the books go to excruciating effort to.

I pulled out my copy out A Game of Thrones to help make sense of what the relationship is between the Targaryans (and which Targaryan has been omitted altogether) and it struck me just how close Dragonstone is to King's Landing despite no action between those two centres of power. They'd have to sail past Dragonstone to even visit Cersei, let alone get in and out and wreak havoc on Dany's army.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 Aug 2017, 08:44

I've read all the books twice, first I skipped all the chapters by boring characters, then when I reread it I forced myself through the tedious story telling - I'm much happier with the way the TV show is going to be honest, there are already too many slow shows around it's good to have some ass kickery happening
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 22 Aug 2017, 09:55

The way the Ice King dude used his spears irks me. Are they ridiculously difficult to create or something? If they aren't, why didn't he throw a couple at the guys on the island and just move on? If they are, what exactly was he saving them for? What future situation did he foresee where he could reliably utilise this extremely valuable resource and get some kind of equitable return on it?

Oh wait, here's some dragons that he never knew existed and he just happens to have the exact thing to deal with them that he'd been holding onto (and never using in situations where it would have helped) "just in case".
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 Aug 2017, 11:11

Yurtles wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 09:55
The way the Ice King dude used his spears irks me. Are they ridiculously difficult to create or something? If they aren't, why didn't he throw a couple at the guys on the island and just move on? If they are, what exactly was he saving them for? What future situation did he foresee where he could reliably utilise this extremely valuable resource and get some kind of equitable return on it?

Oh wait, here's some dragons that he never knew existed and he just happens to have the exact thing to deal with them that he'd been holding onto (and never using in situations where it would have helped) "just in case".
Isn't the fan theory that the night king is Bran, so maybe he knew there would be dragons and had those prepared just in case?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 22 Aug 2017, 12:24

Yeah that's the fan theory. We'll find out within 7 episodes. That was so sad to type.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 22 Aug 2017, 15:46

Disco wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 11:11
Yurtles wrote:

Isn't the fan theory that the night king is Bran, so maybe he knew there would be dragons and had those prepared just in case?
The Night King = The Three Eyed Raven?

So when Hodor died it was the White Walkers attacking themselves? :wtf:
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 Aug 2017, 16:16

Sathias wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 15:46
The Night King = The Three Eyed Raven?

So when Hodor died it was the White Walkers attacking themselves? :wtf:
I think the guts of it was that the Three Eyed Raven went so far back and into the Night King that he became stuck there and created another version of himself/itself.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 22 Aug 2017, 19:44

I'm still lost RE what Arya's doing. What did that last bit of chit chat with Sansa set up?

And... Clegane Bowl coming up?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 Aug 2017, 19:50

Mugsy wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 19:44
I'm still lost RE what Arya's doing. What did that last bit of chit chat with Sansa set up?

And... Clegane Bowl coming up?
Hope so, I'm sick of The Mountain looming, all he's done for a few seasons is loom menacingly.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 22 Aug 2017, 20:21

Yeah, the last time The Mountain was good was at the end of Season 4. Now that was an epic fight.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 Aug 2017, 20:30

Well The Mountain was poisoned and is alive purely through the citadel-forbidden human experiments of Qyburn. Can the hulking monstrosity that defends Cersei even be called The Mountain anymore?
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 22 Aug 2017, 20:37

I dont think we'll get cleganebowl next week. More important things happening
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 Aug 2017, 21:12

Leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode, leak the episode.....
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 22 Aug 2017, 21:45

I dunno, after Gendry and the rowboat I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cleganebowl happened now. They've at least got the potential to be in the same place at once at any rate. Perhaps give us a taste for a future showdown.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 22 Aug 2017, 23:32

I speculate that the captured wight infects the Mountain who, because he's kinda undead already, probably gets converted quickly and Clegane Bowl ensures... though I'm usually wrong about this stuff.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 22 Aug 2017, 23:56

Love his work as always...

And I think I've figured out Arya's little plan.
She's probably banking on Littlefinger knowing that she puts on different faces and has passed Sansa the dagger to make Littlefinger think Sansa is Arya. Littlefinger will show his true colours to Sansa and everything goes to shits for Littlefinger.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 23 Aug 2017, 10:18

So I saw on news.com.au that apparently when Jon Snow was climbing out of the water at the end of the last episode, the eye on the hilt of his sword (the wolfshead) opens.. wtf.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

kharis

Post by kharis » 23 Aug 2017, 11:47

Yeah its stupid. Someone on reddit starts something and suddenly its news. Its just snow which gets splashed off when his hand comes up

News.com.au really clutch at straws for stories sometimes
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 24 Aug 2017, 14:25

Yurtles wrote:

Yeah it irks me that he didn't go for the biggest and baddest dragon first that was stationary. That would be the logical thing and you can't say he's dumb like the zombies/wights that he's created. He went for one that was flying and hit it with ease from a huge distance. Then misses the big one when it's flying away.

Also regarding that fan theory, not sure if it's related to him being Bran or not, but one theory/part of that theory is that it was his plan all along to trap Jon etc there and wait for the dragons as he had 3 spears so he knew there was 3 dragons. Regardless of if he's Bran or not, he has some powerful Greenseer powers.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 24 Aug 2017, 19:22

Yeah im a bit salty that they throw away characters like that.... i mean really? THAT was what they were saving Benjen for?
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

boars

Post by boars » 24 Aug 2017, 22:49

Blah.

Not sure if they're bad at storytelling or if RRM's vague direction he gave them is terrible... would like the books to release so I actually knew who was to blame for some of these things.

Either way, still enjoying the show.
One ep left is pretty sad though, another year waiting on the plot. UGH.

Oh well at least I'm confident that my yearly dose of expanse novella will be delivered in december, those guys can actually write!
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 26 Aug 2017, 18:35

boars wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 22:49

Oh well at least I'm confident that my yearly dose of expanse novella will be delivered in december, those guys can actually write!

It's pretty funny how there are so many extremely prolific authors who put out decent quality content 1-2 times a year and GRRM/Rothfuss etc can't get their shit together to put out a book every 5 years.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

boars

Post by boars » 27 Aug 2017, 12:34

GRRM has seemingly no ability to focus on one thing at a time, other books, other collabs etc etc. *facepalm*
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 27 Aug 2017, 13:26

boars wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 12:34
GRRM has seemingly no ability to focus on one thing at a time, other books, other collabs etc etc. *facepalm*
he needs to try on new hats...
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 28 Aug 2017, 06:46

Almost time for another season end. Lets see who will die in this final episode.
0 x
CherryRed wrote: