Recommend a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book

Yurtles

Recommend a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book

Post by Yurtles » 30 Nov 2015, 00:00

Just a copy/paste of the recommendations off the old forums. I put everyone's suggestions under their user name rather than trying to follow the thread of discussion that went on. If anyone has any suggestions on editing it better, I'm open to it.

Yurtles:
* Last set of books I truly enjoyed (staying up well past my bed time reading) were the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher and before that it was his Codex of Alera series, just to throw in a recommendation of my own.

* To throw in a couple more obvious must read fantasy ones;
Brent Weeks and The Night Angel series.
Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar.. extravaganza I guess you'd have to call it. It's gone well beyond a mere series or even compilation now.
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

* The Black Company series by Glen Cook. Great set of books, can't believe they slipped my mind.

* The Curse Of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold. Fairly light fantasy in a fictional medieval setting, very good read. Keep meaning to see if anything else she's written is half as good but I haven't gotten around to it as yet.

* Just read The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett, which is followed by The Desert Spear (As recommended by Ezelek). Fantasy setting about a world that gets overrun by demons every night. Not half bad.

* A Trial of Blood and Steel series by Joel Shepherd (Starts with Sasha). Just a nice, well written and long fantasy-ish story. I even found myself caring about what might happen to the characters on a couple occasions. And he's an Aussie author to boot :)

* Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick. New writer/book I found the other day. I hope he writes more in the same setting because he's created a pretty decent world.

* Recently re-read Star Wartz by Patrick Tilley. Stupid name, not very interesting blurb on the back, surprisingly decent book

*I've never really gotten into any of the Space Marine books I've read, but The Ciaphas Cain novels by Sandy Mitchell I really enjoyed. I found them more human, funnily enough.

Just finished reading Chris Wooding's Tales of the Ketty Jay (Retribution Falls, Black Lung Captain and The Iron Jackal - As recommended by War
Very good read. Think Firefly sort of a setup but with airshipy type things instead of spaceships. The first book is a little slow but still good and then the second two are outstanding, it's worth sticking with it.

* Currently working through The Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison, it's been pretty good. First story was published back in the 70's so it's got some of that good old fashioned sci-fi you don't seem to see anymore.

* The Iron Druid Chronicles (series) by Kevin Hearne. Same vein as The Dresden Files and not half bad either.

* Fallen Dragon by Peter Hamilton, the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi or Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs series are all good sci-fi action types. Elizabeth Moon's got couple series that're more spaceship battle focused, but I'm damned if I can remember which series of hers I found to be good and which one was a little bit tedious (but still decent enough that I read it all).

They've all very much got that sci fi action/combat/military/space thing going on (no space operas - apart from the tedious one of Moons) and are pretty good reads to boot.

* Twenty Palaces series by Harry Connolly, darker style urban fantasy. Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey, sci-fi without FTL (hence all within our solar system) which makes for a nice change.

* Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant. It's set after a Walking Dead style zombie apocalypse in a world where the governments actually hung on (but the zombie problem is still relevant with everyone being infected and all). For me the world doesn't quite 100% gel, but the author has enough fun with it all that it didn't really matter.

* The Red Knight by Miles Cameron. Knights vs wyverns and goblins and things with a bit of magic thrown in. The author's a mad keen medieval reenactor and it shows in how it's all written; Probably the most "realistic" and believable fantasy fiction I've read, Which isn't saying that much when you consider the genre, but still.

* Peter V. Brett has a third book is out now; The Daylight War. It's a decent read that furthers the story and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first two....
Buuuuut, it's also twice the length of the first book with maybe a 3rd of the actual content. Every new book he puts out is more Robert Jordan-esque than the last. Literally. At one stage there was an almost full page description of what someone was wearing and most of the important stuff happens in the last hundred pages or so. I find it a bit disappointing to see after how punchy and straight to the point the first book was.

* Redshirts by John Scalzi. It's about redshirts in a Star Trek style universe who notice they're dying pretty regularly on away missions whilst the ship's chief officers always survive. Pretty cool concept done quite well.

* Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson, It's a typical sort of a Sanderson book, unique magical thingumy going on, but I liked it a bit more then his regular fair. This one's a little sci-fi and has super heroes suddenly showing up all over the world and all of them behaving a lot more like supervillians, tearing shit up and the normal people basically (but not quite) helpless to do anything about it.

*Just finished another Brandon Sanderson book - Words of Radiance, third book in his Stormlight Archive series. He's drawing things out a lot more than he usually does but it's still a decent, enjoyable read.

* Chris Wooding's done another Ketty Jay book called Ace Of Skulls. Came out last year actually, but I completely missed it. It remains a thoroughly enjoyable series to read.

* The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch was a brilliant suggestion (by Nekosan), just finished the first book, immediately started searching for the second to read.

* Recently read Firefight by Brandon Sanderson, sequel to Steelheart and hands down the best books he's written I think. Near future setting where some people have developed super powers (and all are supervillians) and the fight against them.

Um, Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs was also pretty good, short and sweet little fantasy story. She writes really well and I'm keen to find out if her other work has a bit more in them.

Patrick Rothfus put out a basically a short story called The Slow Regard Of Silent Things, set in the same world as his other books and is about Auri. Interesting to read if nothing else.

Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines wasn't terrible, guy who uses magic by pulling things out of books (like a story with a gun in it he could pull out the gun). A better imagined world than you'd expect by reading the blurb and a series I wouldn't mind reading more of.

* Wool by Hugh Howey. People living in a massive underground shelter after some kind of apocalypse. It's decent, has some interesting ideas on how it'd all work. Sometimes it gets a bit depressing and oppressive, but that's kind of the point as well.

* Peter V. Brett has written another Demon Cycle book (Painted Man, Desert Spear, etc). Actually came out about 6 months ago but I took one look at the size of it and was reluctant to try it because of how much wordy bullshit was in his last book.

And it makes me so sad that I was right. 600 pages of crap I don't care about and 150 of decent reading. You'd need to be seriously invested in the story to want to read this book. He started with so much potential but Brett's just completely lost the plot now :(

So yeah... not really a recommendation, I just wanted to share my huge disappointment in what was once a great story.

CrazyMonkey:
* I'm enjoying Asimov's Foundation Series at the moment.

I've only read 'Prelude to Foundation' and 'Foundation' at the moment, but imo they're quite good. I just found out there was one in between (written later) call 'Forward the Foundation' too...

His Robot Series sounds interesting, I've read one of them (though the name of it escapes me at the moment). I-Robot was his too :)

Mekon:
* My favourite semi-recent fantasy series:

Stephen Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen
Probably the most epic dark fantasy series I've read - cast of thousands, 10 books, world spanning. I have yet to read a series which matches it (it is often compared to A Song of Fire and Ice, but totally eclipses it, IMO).

Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy
Just good, dirty medieval fantasy. No orcs, elves or dwarves, just barbarians and renaissance types with assassins, dark sorcery, inquisitors and pitched battles.

For sci-fi, pretty much anything by Charles Stross or Greg Egan - I like hard science speculative fiction. On the space opera note, Alastair Reynolds is awesome, as is early Peter F Hamilton (the Greg Mandel and Night's Dawn trilogys in particular, not enjoying his later work as much).

* John Courtney Grimwood - particularly his early stuff, ie. reMix/redRobe and the Arabesk trilogy (wasn't a huge fan of his more recent books).

Charles Stross - pretty much everything he's written.

China Mieville - maybe not for everyone, but I dig his "new weird" pulp stylings.

Possibly already mentioned, but Greg Egan has a great back-catalogue of high concept, hard sci-fi, mixed with a leftist political stance. "Permutation City" stands out as one of my all-time favourites for brain-bending philosophy.

* Been reading Simon Morden's "Metrozone" (or "Samuil Petrovich") series lately - is amusing enough in an alt-history/post-apoc/dystopian/neo-cyberpunk way.

Somewhat reminiscent of John Courtney Grimwood's redRobe, crossed with Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. Not quite as mature (in a literary sense), and mostly character-driven rather than hard sci-fi... but still a fast-paced, enjoyable romp through a decidedly weird alt-future London.

steve_rogers42:

* if you havent already, grab dan simmons Hyperion.

* devoured ian irvine's Geomancer after the GF found it amongst her stuff, yet to find a bloke who can write a decent fantasy where the female protagonist isnt a complete let down, Mary Gentle still gets A+++ rating there...

* Embassytown
3/5
Im a bit of a China fan, have been reading his works since i got my hands on some of his short work and perdido street station. By far The city & the City i would say is his best, and a lot of the elements (alienation etc) reflect back to Embassytown. Its a work of art and having started Among Others i can see why it missed the Nebula, as its quite a splendid book, but back to Embassytown.
Summed, the book is about a ship navigator who leaves her home town to escape it but ends up returning with her husband years later, after she has discovered how unique and rare her 'home' is compared to all the other distant lands, what ensues after her return is a turn for the worse that may be indirectly caused by her and her relationship with the residents of her hometown and the relation with her husband.
What marks China's works are his ability to take a radical concept and make it familiar to you before your halfway through the book. Its not high science or speculative, but there is elements of all and whilst you read you take in his characters and surroundings to the point that you accept the reality he has created. Embassytown does this, and while more political at the start than action-ey, it gets there in the end.
I wouldnt say a must read, but if you want something different than your average sci-fi and enjoy some challenging concepts give it a whirl. the first quarter is a little messy as it tends to jump around timeline wise, but it gathers around the middle, and man the pages fly from there until you put it down.
If you enjoy it, try The city & the City, if you dont like it but enjoy thinking, hit up some mary gentle.

Rendezvous with Rama
4/5
What separates a legendary writer from almost everyone else? when you can pick up their work, and once you settle into some of the times quirks, the work speaks to you, and you see things you hadnt done before.
C. Clark is a boss. If you havent read some of his work, please, do. His works breathe of age but use a lot of simple science and none-to-far-out concepts make reading a pleasure.
Rama is a giant space cylinder that makes its way across the solar system. Man has one chance to see what its all about, and man does just that. Que a vernian' exploration into the cylinder. Que misadventure and strange new things, mixed in with smoking old timers with heritage on earth giving feedback on what to do.
Its marvelous. It would have be awesome to see this made as a film and either filmed as if it occurred as the book portrays or as a modern interpretation, but to say the least, its a very compelling look at what it might have been like if we had made contact with aliens during the 70s. If you want harder scifi pick up some azimov, or if you want another take on far flung out aliens, try The mote in gods eye.

Snow Crash
3/5
What are recommendations that take into account a book you hold dear, and say something is superior? I think when starting snow crash all i could think was that this book was lauded to me as being akin to neuromancer, and well, it has its on merits.
Snow Crash has two major players who are apathetic hacker and punk chic, they save the word using Sumerian and technology.
Its complicated, and 3/4 of the way in your kinda questioning where its all going, but then, man, things get awesome. Like blockbuster computer game awesome, not regular awesome.
Stephenson writes pretty well, and snow crash isnt an exception. There is a lot to take in and while its not say as good as anathema or The Diamond age, its pretty good. like ReamDe. Liked it, get some Stirling or gibson, didnt like it? try Anathema or The diamond age. mans worth reading.

Nekosan:
* Read quite a few decent books lately, most recently "Armor" by John Steakley, deals with the results of prolonged combat stress on the human psyche.

* Currently reading "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell, was less than a quarter in when i crashed last night and had already decided it's one of the better books i've read in the last few years.

In 2019, humanity finally finds proof of extraterrestrial life when a listening post in Puerto Rico picks up exquisite singing from a planet which will come to be known as Rakhat. While United Nations diplomats endlessly debate a possible first contact mission, the Society of Jesus quietly organizes an eight-person scientific expedition of its own. What the Jesuits find is a world so beyond comprehension that it will lead them to question the meaning of being "human." When the lone survivor of the expedition, Emilio Sandoz, returns to Earth in 2059, he will try to explain what went wrong.

For those of you looking for a good reading list i highly recommend taking a bash at the Hugo winners/nominees list, it's all top quality stuff (if you can excuse the year harry potter won for making kids read) and there's something for everyone there ranging from golden era pulp to modern cyberpunk and urban fantasy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Novel

* Read Roadside picnic by Arkady & Borish Strugatsky a month or so ago, probably one of my favourite books tbh, stalker as a game didnt do the idea justice and i was left post-book just thinking "omgomg i want to know more". It had that "just a man living his life" thing going on that i love so much in B grade Takeshi Kitano movies and Yôji Yamada's trilogy.

Pretty much everything by Phillip K Dick is good.

If you decide to pick up "Dune" then do yourself a favour and only read the first book, the rest of them are boring semi-political tripe that are just long for the sake of being long and no other reason, makes me ill when people are all up on their nuts like the series is the bets thing ever.

* A Cavern of Black Ice by J. V. Jones is the first book (sword of shadows is the name of the series), I've enjoyed it all so far although I was confused a little by the recurring character from the Bakers Boy books (even though they aren't connected in any way, she just reused the character).

* In other news, i finally read "Neuromancer" after putting it off for a long long time, I'm a big fan of cyberpunk but i was afraid that being one of those "must reads" it would turn out to be a total techno circlejerk like so many cyberpunk novels do. I was pleasantly surprised, both by the fact that it wasn't and by how well it holds up 27 years after publishing (that's amazing for a tech based novel like that).

I'm currently ripping through the rest of the Sprawl trilogy by Gibson, will probs keep me busy for a week depending on how enthralled i get, I'm still a little confused as to why the novel was called "Neuromancer" rather than "WinterMute"... seems like it would have been a much more relevant name (although the mystery about the name would have been ruined much sooner).

* Currently reading the The Magicians by Lev Grossman (on its sequel actually), think Harry Potter if Harry was a bitter, alcoholic, Narnia obsessed foreveralone 17 year old who goes to magic university.

* The latest Brent Weeks entry was pretty good, unfortunately now it's another 2 years till the next one

* Robert Heinlein - Starship Troopers

John Steakley - Armor
(those are probably the two best military science fiction works ever written, read them if you haven't. ST has no similarities with the movie aside from a few names)

Dan Abnett: Gaunts Ghosts series (starts with "First and Only"), the most popular of any of the 40k novels/series, follows a specialized Imperial Guard unit whose planet is destroyed on the day of their founding, basically it's Hornblower or Sharpe's Rifles in a science fiction setting.

Sandy Mitchell - the Ciaphas Cain series (starts with "For The Emperor"), set in the 40k universe, main character is a coward who keeps running in the wrong direction and ending up a hero.

Jack Campbell - Lost Fleet series (starts with "Dauntless "), junior starship captain is rescued from cold sleep hundreds of years after his ship was destroyed in the opening battle of a war, he awakes to find himself in command of a losing navy that has suffered such massive attrition that they stopped learning tactics decades ago.

* I'm def enjoying the Brent Weeks Lightbringer series much more than his Night Angel trilogy, that felt like a little bit of a Robin Hobb ripoff but the Lightbringer world is def unique, I'm digging the magic system and each book has had multiple "oh fuck" moments... the latest def left me asking more questions than it answered.

* Finished the last book of "The Black Company" last night (picked it up after one of these threads), manly tears shed :cry:
Not sure if want more books in the series or not

* Currently on the third Mistbourne book after people recommended them on here, I've been avoiding Sanderson for a LOOONG time because i wasn't sure if i wanted to ever read his WoT work. Picked them up due to a lack of decent fantasy on my Kindle and so far I've enjoyed them immensely, the series is a little lacking in some areas but it's different enough to set it a little apart from most fantasy stuff while still maintaining a little familiarity.

* I know that was an old post but if you're chasing more Napoleonic goodness after Sharpe's (big fan of Cornwell btw) you should pick up the Temeraire books by Naomi Nokik, basically it starts off as Hornblower except, well.... dragons.

Each side has a small aerial corps staffed by dragons and their humans (when they hatch they bond for life with one person), the main character pretty much only ever wanted to be what he is, a ships captain, then one day some shit goes down and he ends up stuck in the corps with a rather special, wisecracking dragon. Totally entertaining.

If you want something in the vein of the Rifles series but in other settings there's also always:

Gaunt's Ghosts (Dan Abnett): Follows an Imperial Guard regiment, Sharpes Rifles but with heretics, aliens and the occasional space marine.

Honor Harrington (David Weber): basically Hornblower in space with a female captain.

The Lost Fleet: (Jack Campbell): big fan of those, Sharpe in space. Low ranked officer goes down with his ship in the opening fight of an interstellar war, gets woken from coldsleep a couple hundred years later to find he's a famous hero and ends up in charge of a fleet trapped in enemy territory and massively outnumbered. Turns out that the huge levels of fatalities have "dumbed down" the tactics and training of the fleets and he's now the greatest tactician alive (by a long shot).

* Finally got around to reading Perdido Street Station and I'm glad that I did, only got a chapter or two left but I'll definitely be picking up the rest of his books at some stage. Some parts felt a little forced but overall it was pretty damn solid and the world was sufficiently different to set it apart from most steampunk etc.

* Enjoyed the hell out of Steelheart by Brandon Snaderson, it was nice and different. Sanderson seems to be pretty good at breaking the mold somewhat when it comes to his magic systems.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Absolutely glad i decided to give it a go, I'm on the last book atm and it's been a rollercoaster all the way through, I've really enjoyed it. It follows an orphan who gets sold to a gang of thieves specializing in breaking and entering... or so people think :lol:. Turns out they actually run elaborate Ocean's Eleven style scams targeting the nobility and violating the "secret peace" between the nobles and the street gangs. Along comes someone who has something over them and shenanigans ensue as they're forced into someone elses plans.

* I enjoyed Firefight by Sanderson but that Rothfuss short (The Slow Regard Of Silent Things) was terrible, he didn't develop any characters or do anything at all. The entire thing was 'Auri is crazy as fuck for 2 weeks". I was annoyed because she was always my favourite character and that book made her less so.

shadowrunner03:

* The Amtrack wars, post apocalyptic sci fi/fantasy. brilliant series

anything by Robert N Charette
anything by Robert Thurston
anything by Michael Stackpole

* One of my biggest recommendations for Warhammer 40k would be "Emperor's Mercy" and "Flesh and Iron" by Henry Zou(he's an aussie soldier too), 2 books that don't appear to be related at all (the second book is set years before the first) but there's a point where you'll go HOLY FUCKING SHIT! (he's also a BJJ guy, the occasional MMA/grappling name pops up as a bit of an an inside joke).

The Gaunt's Ghosts books are all reasonable (also abnett), they follow a guard unit specializing in stealth and recon who watch their planet destroyed on founding day (hence the motto "first and only") and their not so standard commander, lots of characters you'll get very attached to.

The Ciaphas Cain novels by Sandy Mitchell are great too, Ciaphas in an imperial guard commissar who's also a dirty sneakthief coward but continually blunders his way into being a hero of the imperium, he wants nothing more than the easy way out but always ends up coming out on top, it's a very different pace than most 40k stuff (and i didn't think i would enjoy it) but i REALLY ended up liking it.

Ben Counter also did a decent "Soul Drinker" series that's a little different too, it chronicles their fall into a traitor legion and they're something of an anomaly in that they still love the emperor, just not in the right way.

exe3:
* I've really enjoyed the Halo and Star Wars Republic Commando books, probably not what you're looking for but I don't see why they shouldn't count

otherwise you could wait for the book i'm currently writing to be published :3

Bek:
* I just finished the recently released Deus Ex: Icarus Effect book by James Swallow, quite good, especially for fans of the original game. It brings back some old characters and sets the scene for DX3.

* http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6499287-metagame

About half way though Metagame, pretty interesting so far. I like the way the books gives you short excerpts from 'historial documents' that give you background info on the world and its people.. Reminds me of opening the codex in games.

* The Novice by Trudi Canavan (The following books in the series are very very good too)

http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/Trud ... ovice.html

* Having just watched Game of Thrones I was reminded of this awesome fantasy series: Codex Alera by Jim Butcher

If you like the setting of GoT you'll love these books - the different 'factions' and even individual characters are all very well done and have realistic and interesting motivations, each book in that series was satisfying, exciting and made you intrigued to see where the latest development / conspiracy would take you. It also has a new take on magic use, which builds some pretty interesting lore.

* I've been reading discworld from the start (The Colour of Magic), so far I'm up to Men At Arms (15th one). Awesome series.

Commander Boom:

* Just a few of my all-time favourites, and some I've been reading recently, and really enjoyed.

In Fantasy:

+1 For Erickson's Malazan's series. (Wouldn't consider them greater than SoIaF though)
G. R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.
R. Jordan's Wheel of Time (1-5 are awesome, 5+ merely good).
Naturally, Tolkien. Especially The Hobbit.

In Sci-Fi:

P. F. Hamilton's Nights Dawn trilogy.
David Brin's Uplift saga, particularly Startide Rising.
A. Reynolds' Revelation Space.

War:
* More steampunk fantasy than anything but I really quite enjoyed Chris Wooding's Tales of the Ketty Jay Retribution Falls and Black Lung Captain

Ezelek:

* A Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss is coming out tomorrow, so if you haven't read the first book, The Name of the Wind, you should totally do so. Other good fantasy books I've read lately and would recommend include: The Painted Man/The Warded Man by Peter v. Brett, Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis (WWII alternate history, the Nazis have superhumans, the Allies have Warlocks), and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (The guy that has taken over the Wheel of Time, and will take over for G.R.R when he loses both hands to diabeties)

* Terry Goodkind, the Omen Machine, a Richard and Kahlan Adventure.

* Just finished Metagame ( http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6499287-metagame ) by Sam Landstrom; It was a pretty entertaining read, nice soft gamer-sci-fi. I think I shall read the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher again to get ready for his new book, and if you have not read them, I encourage you to do the same. Also the same if you have read them. Because you always need a little more Harry in your life.

* Finally got around to finishing A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time book #14), and I'm pretty happy with how the series ended, although a little sad that something that has been part of my life for 23ish years is now over.

Now to re-read the Kingkiller Chronicle.

Dexterian:

* The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

passedoutghost:

* Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. Also his Rama Cycle series of books.

Jnr:
* Riftwar Saga Series (Magician, Silverthorn, etc)

Raymond E Feist

Also, anything by David Gemmell is just amazing!

nudge:
* Reading some Alistair Reynolds at the moment, sci-fi based in a universe where it is still impossible to travel faster then light.

Brent Weeks has to be one of my favorite authors that is 'current'.

Also reading Ty Johnsons Twilight saga, Fantasy where gods take a more active role, and their power is directly proportional to the number of followers they have or prayers they are receiving at that time.

Iain M Banks has some good space operas out there as well. Read one and before I knew it I had finished all his culture books and went online to see if any other authors had written books in the same universe.

* Found out that Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep is actually part of a trilogy (Zones of thought). Read it about 15 years ago and really enjoyed it, re-read it and still enjoyed it. Reading book 2 and it is not nearly as good. Not so much a trilogy and only loosely based in the same universe. It could easily be a stand alone book with its own unique universe.

But would still recommend A Fire Upon the Deep.

* I ran out of books to read recently, so dived back into Robert Jordan. I thought now that it is finished (well kinda finished) I might be able to get to the end. Read 3 so far and it is not looking good. He just isn't a very good writer. Every book just leads up to a kinda climax and amazingly every time the lead characters pull crap out of their arses and do things that under normal circumstances they find impossible. It starts in the first book with them just being able to suddenly do magic (which was ok and is done to death in other books), but even further on they just develop skills instantly as they are needed.

RedZombie:
* David Gemmell got me started when I picked up a copy of Legend at a second hand book store - have read all of his books, but I've read Legend so many times the book literally fell apart.

Loved the series he wrote (or part wrote) about Troy too.. after he passed his wife did a good job of finishing it.

dardz:
* The Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks

Raymond E Feist - Anything to do with Midkemia/Kelewan

Stephen R Donaldson - Thomas Covenant series.

Tastynapalm:
* Battlefield Earth - L Ron Hubbard

If you can put all that cult/Scientology stuff aside, you can enjoy a pulp science fiction story which is a fun read. I am about to read the 10 books of Mission Earth next.

scottrob76:
* I have to second Ezelek's choices, all of them great books, met Peter V. Brett in Galaxy bookstore in Sydney some time ago and got both of his books signed, nice bloke.
Also for Sci-Fi anything by John Ringo, David Drake and of course for old school stuff Heinlein. Armour is also good, cept Steakley has passed away so the follow up will never appear.
Arrgh too many great books/series/Authors, most of them mentioned here, read most of those that are mentioned. One of these days I might have to get outside instead of reading, but then that would ruin my perfectly cultivated pasty look :D
Oh damn forgot to also mention one of the best series I have read, The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay, especially for his take on Arthurian legends.

Hotblack:
* Anything by Peter F Hamilton

Fallen Dragon is a good start

* Arthur C. Clarke, if you get past the first book, the Rama series is excellent

corsa826:
* I'm reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. Great series if you want something a little different.

Terry Goodkind's sword of truth is a good one too, I especially like his new book The law of Nines

* To add another one to the pile, J. V. Jones, starting with Baker's Boy. Her second series is better though

*I haven't read a Fiest book yet I didn't enjoy. The series based entirely on Kelewan, Daughter of the empire is the first I believe, was great, heaps of awsome characters.

I'm reading Horns by Joe Hill at the moment. Not sure if you would call it fantasy or maybe thriller. Pretty cool story so far though.

Zombywolf:
* Milan Kundera's "Slowness" is a great book if you're into theory-driven writing :D

also, +1 for EVERY terry pratchett book before and including Wintersmith. Everything after that, well, his alzheimer's has unfortunately taken, i feel, a critical streak of his writing :(

also also, +1 for Rama series and +1 for Hitchhiker's Guide series.

Also, the Dune series hasnt been mentioned yet for some reason :P
personally, I find that Brian Herbert's novels (Frank Herbert's son) are a little more readable.

also also also:
Edmund Husserl's "The Vienna Lecture" for brain melting phenomenology goodness :D

Crocadrilla:
* Phillip K Dick, I'm astonded he hasn't been mentioned thus far...some good ones are;

The Clans of the Alpane Moon - a society built out of a forgotten mental institute.
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich - just oddly awesome.

Also,

Roadside Picknic by Arkady & Borish Strugatsky (the concept of "the zone" from the Stalker games originates here).
Foundation series by Asimov, but take care to read them in the order of publish.

And most important...Dune by Frank Herbert, to quote Arthur C Clark "Unique amonge Sci-Fi novels, I know of nothing comparable to it except The Lord of the Rings".

Boognish:
* if youre a fan of the fantasy genre and you like supporting good australian authors i can recommend the brisbane based author Will Elliott.

he has just released the 2nd part of his Pendulum trilogy called Shadow http://www.harpercollins.com.au/books/S ... 0732289485

the first part pilgrims is still available as well:
http://www.harpercollins.com.au/books/P ... 0732289478

he won the inaugral abc fiction award for his first book the pilo family circus which was not only a beautifully written dark sci fi but it was hilariously funny... get involved

BorisBC:

* A bump for Dan Simmons' Hyperion, it's an awesome series.

Drakand:
*Any fantasy book by David Eddings if fantastic, just read all of them or if you want something to start it off, read "Belgarath the Sorcerer", in my opinion probably the best standalone book i've read, followed closely by "Magician" by Raymond E Fiest.

I'd also recommend the Ancient Future Trilogy by Traci Harding and the The Sovereign Stone Trilogy by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman. Both are fantastic reads!

Marcus Dunn:
* Book 1 of the Horus Heresy by Dan Abnett: Horus Rising

The first three are trilogy, the rest become mostly stand-alone, with a few stand-alone then sequels later on.

While not every book is of the same quality, namely due to the different authors, I can at the very least recommend those first three - they're bloody page-turners you will have issues putting down.

I have just started book 12, A thousand sons.

It's all set in the Warhammer 40k universe incidentally. Actually make that Warhammer 30k, 10,000 years before 40k.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Horus-Heresy <- a good link with most of the current titles, and a bit of a description about the series.

Scrav:

* Trudi Canavan has released some great books. She is even an Australian author as well.

My favourite author (and Australian at that) for the fantasy/sci-fi genre is Ian Irvine, with his Three World Cycle books. 11 have been released so far as 2 quadrilogies and a trilogy. His site has a sample chapter for the books as well.

Tas:

* Reality dysfunction Peter F Hamilton, one of the best scifi I've ever read.

Shaolin$alesman:
* Dune - if you haven't read it... well you haven't read one of maybe THE best sci-fi novel ever written.

Vampire Hunter D Series (16 books) more adult reading, has a few pages of art per book, great series, main character is a badass & baddies are evil as hell, the world it set in is wicked as well, looks like they have some new version of the books out as well with more art in them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... +d&x=0&y=0

=beast=:
*anyone said the Halo books? They are actaully pretty damn good. Fall of Reach was awesome

Marshmallow:
* The Ender saga by Orson Scott Card is quite good.
Starting with Enders game of course!

sar84:
* The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton is part of the Nights Dawn trilogy, "The Neutronium Alchemist" & "The Naked God" are the other two books. And your right, it's some of the best sci-fi i've ever read.

There's also a book called "A Second Chance at Eden", it's a collection of short stories that answer one big question left over from the trilogy. Lastly there's "The Confederation Handbook", it's a guide book to the stories universe but I've never seen it.

Hedwig:

* Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (by Susanna Clarke) is a pretty brilliant book. It's about two very different magicians with two differing mindsets.

DiscoLT:
* Anyone like Simon Scarrow? He writes roman legion type historical fiction from the perspective of two fictional characters in real campaigns. They're quite good.

* Currently reading Brandon Sanderson, The Way Of Kings. Very interesting so far! Nice action, interesting world.. hopefully it stays this way.
Update: Quite a way through The Way of Kings and I've got to say, this is the best Fantasy book I've read in quite some time, the characters are great, the world is magical, it's brilliant.

I'm kind of pissed now that I've realized the second book hasn't been released yet though.. damnit. Part of a ten book series, and only the first book is finished?! I refuse to get caught up in yet another George R R Martin esque waiting period :/ Will definitely start his Mistborn trilogy next though.

I sat up to 0230 this morning to finish it, something I haven't done in a long time. That book really grabbed me, I loved the characters, I loved the ending, I like where it is leading to.. now I have to wait for the next book :(

I'll order his Mistborn book to read at work this week.

* Currently reading another Brandon Sanderson book (The Final Empire), this guy is amazing. Just as good as his other book IMO, really enjoying it.

* Very much looking forward to the next lightbender book (by Brent Weeks), although it's been so long I'll have to reread the original.

I've just finished reading the Mistborn Trilogy.. and feel mind blown. It's not often that I get to the end of a book and WISH there was more and that it wasn't over. I'm already looking forward to rereading it in the future. Best Trilogy I've read in years.

* The Remaining by D.J Mollies - they're on special at the moment in the Kindle store and they're a post apocalyptic type story, seems quite good so far though might be worth a look of you're into zombies.

* Anyone read the Zero novels by Sara King? Forging Zero and Zero Recall.. just finished reading them and was amazed, I don't stray into sci-fi often but dang, excellent books! Just finished them sadly :/

* Only a few pages left of Blood Song by Andrew Ryan, but incredibly disappointed that the next book isn't out until next year, best read I've had in a while!

* +1 to Firefight by Brandon Sanderson it's damned awesome.

ub3r:
* anything by Iain M. Banks I would recommend, in particular the Culture series. Fantastic sci-fi

Avant:

* Definitely Battlefield Earth, loved that book

PSone:

* The Mercy Thompson Series is brilliant. Get amongst it

MaCrumQuo:

* Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick

Blade Runner is loosely based off this book.

Matthyew82:

* Lois mcmaster Bujold has an awesome collection of fantasy and scifi, anything including Miles vorkosigan is brilliant, ive yet to read a book of hers i dislike.

Then of course there is my fav david gemmell, 31 books before he died, truly heroic fantasy, massively recommended

Artful-dodgeR:
* Just picked up Eisenhorn trilogy by Dan Abnett. Was told it's one of the best series for 40K fans (just finished Space Wolf omnibus 1 + 2, loved it). wasn't going to pick up an Inquisition book because Space Marines are my favourites, but thought what the hell, gotta give it a shot. I saw that Ben Counter did a Grey Knights omnibus and I find them kinda interesting... Also want to try Blood Angels. Find them quite good, love the black rage/red thirst. Gene-seed flaws ftw, lol.

When I have a few years spare I'll start the Horus Heresy series too -_-

* +1 the recommendation on basically anything Dan Abnett Warhammer 40k-wise. His Eisenhorn trilogy is damn well written, just getting onto the Ravenor Omnibus after I finish American Gods (Neil Gaiman, fucking fantastic book so far, highly recommended).

* So I've been trying to read the Gaunts Ghosts series and it just feels a bit.. I dunno. Not grabbing me, yes it's a chapter of soldiers but they really lack character IMO, with only a few really memorable bits.

So now I'm going to try the Salamander Omnibus. Fucking love me some pew pew 40k space marines so lets hope this one is good.. if not I might try Path of the Eldar series. The the Blood Angels saga

Jonkhorn3:

* I got a free copy of Jennifer Fallons book 'The Lion of Senet' with my copy of a dance with dragons. read it after adwd and its was really quite enjoyable, easy to read with cool characters which has now prompted me to buy the next 2 (3 parts, its called The Second Sons Trilogy). Onto the last book now after blitzing through the 2nd :D. Its a fantasy book set medieval times without all the magic and such.

Bmunch:

* Raymind e feist riftwar serpent war and even Faerie Tale was a good read
Prism pentad series by troy denning *love broms artwork*
Dragonlance books *huge amount of books in this range*
Spiderworld series by colin wilson *takes abit to get into it*
Terry Brooks shannara and magic kingdom for sale/sold
just a few of my fav's
Got into fantasy reading with hobbit and funny enough steve jacksons fighting fantasy*i have about 35 of these lol*
ooo near forgot Druss the legend type books,Against the horde/legend got me hooked

Helelix:
* +1 to Brandon Sanderson, The Way Of Kings. Im finding it quite enjoyable so far. So much thought has been put into the world.

* Brandon Sandersons books are really amazing. In fact, all of his books are set in the same cosmiverse. i.e. same fantasy universe but on different planets within that universe. And even more amazing, is that he includes reoccurring characters within a few of his books. These characters are worldhoppers (not really a spoiler) and have the ability to travel between various worlds using their herpa derp magic ability's (one way to do this is by using 'the Void' or 'Shadesmar' as its know in the Stormlight Archive). In all of his books (which I have read), he creates a unique world with politics, religion and magic, and I can see that somewhere along the line they are going to merge. To me all of his books so far could be a prequel to something greater.

If people are interested, you can find more information at The Coppermind wiki and fan theroys at 17thShard

Tim Colwill:
* I finished Way of Kings a little while ago and really enjoyed it! Loved the way the world and magic system are thought out, very elegant and compelling.

Remy Lebeau:

* geomancer is good, but the series gets really wierd from then in ...

+1 to Brent Weeks. Next one in the lightbender series is coming out soon!

Mearehear:

* I think I saw someone mentioned Traci Hardings Ancient Future Trilogy (there is actually 6 books in it, but I forget the name of the 2nd part trilogy) and I have to give it a thumbs up. Read them all years ago. Australian author too.

Shes gone a bit further to the "girly" side these days, but the Ancient Future books were quite imaginative.

cdkit3:

* Just finished reading the Riftwar saga by Raymond E Feist. On the whole, its a decent read, although I think the Song of Ice and Fire series has ruined fantasy for me, as I expect people to die, and they never do.

Just grabbed American Gods by Neil Gaiman today, so looking forward to getting through it as I have heard it is amazing.

Tera:
* Reading The Saga Of The Seven Suns at the moment, about to start the fourth book. While predictable in some places it's a really enjoyable read, I love the setting and it's very readable.

MuscularTeeth:
* i just finished the Hydrogen Sonata by Banks. His latest Culture novel. always a damn fine read.

* recently given a book by my uncle called THE HAMMER by KJ PARKER. sorta fantasy, but not really. more steampunky but not futurish... hard to explain..different and enjoyable. a shortish read.

* anything by China Mieville is fantastic.. very gripping reads..

almost finsihed peter f hamiltons great north road, and frankly its not as good as i hoped it to be. he has difficulty wrapping up tales (the reality dysfunction was one of the greatest sci fi novel trilogy until the end and the deus ex machina ending)..

* eddings book the Belgariad was fabulous.
that Althalus one was preteen material in my opinion. not his greatest work by a long shot.

fiests early works were excellent. but his last say half dozen books are a bit ...lacklustre.

still cant get over there will be no more Culture novels from I M Banks. dammit.

thefinn:
* If you like really dark gritty vampire stuff, Robert Ludlum's Necroscope series is good ;)
His writing of characters can be a bit iffy from time to time, but the story is compelling.

PlasmaDavid:
I've been reading sci-fi short story collections on iBooks. My jaw dropped when I saw the "Megapack" compilations, $300-ood for 500+ pages of sci-fi short stories. Some really great stuff, and very different from one story to the next. Currently on the sixth volume.

Makena:
* Finished the Ender's Quartet this morning, I think Ender's Game is easily the best of the 4 books, I felt the 2nd (Speaker of the Dead) also fit well enoguh into the world created, but I also think that Xenocide and Children of the Mind (Book 3 and 4) drited a bit far from the Sci-Fi I was expecting, which unfortunately slightly coloured my view. There was a bit too much mysticism and discussion about gods for than what I was looking for, but that could be impacted by my current mindset. I might give it some time and then pick up the other books set within the Universe, as it seems they might tie some of it back together well.

Overall though, I think that Ender's Game is a fantastic read, and even ignoring the rest of the series, it's well worth checking out, and if you did enjoy it and want to know more about what Ender does, then get the rest

* Quick and dirty reviews of the last big pile of books I've worked through, typed this up for facebook when asking for more recommendations, before accidentally $180 on more books

The Name of the Wind & The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle books 1 and 2) by Patrick Rothfuss
Awesome, wish I had book 3 now, well written and an entertaining read, very eager to see what happens to the main character

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
A little strange, but alternate history can be that way, I think it was good, but if you're not a fan of Dick as it is, not sure I'd recommend it

The Ender Quartet Set - by Orson Scott Card
First book is fantastic, 2nd was ok, I found 3 and 4 far too preachy for my liking, don't think the stories he had to tell justified the books he wrote.

His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, & The Amber Spyglass) - by Philip Pullman
The anti Narnia lol, quite well written, again with a good story and characters you care for and want to see what progresses, few powerful moments I won't forget.

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Glad I read this, but it was basically as expected, very strong vibes of the era it was written in and factual accounts I've read of the Vietnam war/various battles within.

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks
These wanted to be good, story was good for first 2 books, got a little silly by book 3, and I found them to be averagely written, would randomly mix in modern day language amongst the more traditional language when characters would speak, would pull me out of the moment

Embassytown by China Mieville
Weird! Took me a bit to get into the writing style, once I did though it was a gripping read, if you're after a sci fi with some intrigue, this is worth grabbing.

The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan
Really enjoyed this, it's probably aimed at teenagers/young adults more than someone of my age, but I found the characters likable and the story flowed well over the 3 books, worth reading.

* I really liked The Founding set of Gaunts Ghosts books, so maybe I'm weird (Or I just really get into Dan Abnett's style of writing), for space marine pew pew I'm enjoying the Horus Heresy books, but I've only read the first 5, do post how the Salamander omnibus is, and I've been thinking of getting the Blood Angels saga when I grab more horus heresy books, I really should get onto that

WolfSt@r:
* Raymond E Fiest - the entire series. Is brilliant. Fantasy. Magic, Dragons, Elves, Dark Elves, Goblins, Dual worlds etc etc

And how has no one mentioned DAVID EDDINGS??? His fantasy books are possible the best since Tolkien. Yes i said it and you heard it here first...

_Zyklon_:
* Recently, I read the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series, which I absolutely loved. I then needed to find something ASAP to fill the void, so I did some searching for books similar to ASOIAF, and the stand out seemed to be The Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind, A Wise Man's Fear). I have now finished them and I absolutely loved them too! I need to stop choosing unfinished series. Its going to kill me if I have to wait any longer for the next books in these series. Haha.

Xwaste:
* I loved Eddings when I was young, until I saw through his formula, at about the end of the second Sparhawk series. Now it just seems like such derivative crap to me, I kinda felt betrayed. Althalus was a slog, and tedious. I started those dreamers books and they where horrid.

Recently read The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold. I loved it, the main character is great and the setting, based loosely on medieval Spain with a really interesting pantheon and religious system.

A series I really enjoyed that I finished a little earlier as well is the The Black Company by Glen Cook A dark series about a mercenary company who get hired by the sort of people normally the villains in traditional fantasy.

hellbender:
* Brandon Sanderson is also my favourite author. His mistborn trilogy is fantastic, nearly as good as his Stormlight Archive series. I didn't even know about Steelheart though! I'll definitely check it out.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.