Game of Thrones (Season 8) - SPOILERS

Mugsy

Re: Game of Thrones (Season 8) - SPOILERS

Post by Mugsy » 22 Apr 2019, 23:03

That first major death is going to hit so much harder after watching this second episode.

They've set up the Battle of Winterfell really well.

EDIT: At least Arya got to lose her virginity in a happy way... unlike the arse raping Sansa got.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 24 Apr 2019, 07:15

LOL, soul crushing stare

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 29 Apr 2019, 21:34

Well, that battle was really epic. So sad for House Mormont...
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 29 Apr 2019, 21:55

Glad Lyanna Mormont had an epic scene.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 29 Apr 2019, 22:42

Yeah, poor House Mormont. For a moment, I thought Jorah was gonna survive to lead House Mormont following Lyanna's demise but having him go out saving Dany was the way to go for sure.

Looks like most of the Dothraki and Unsullied have perished... wonder how Dany will deal with Cersei?

And go Arya! Everything seemed to have come full circle with that one.

So we lost:
Jorah, Lyanna Mormont, Theon (in a fittingly redeeming end), Beric (man did he take a lot of stabs), Eddison Tollett and Melisandre
Last edited by Mugsy on 30 Apr 2019, 07:39, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 30 Apr 2019, 07:18

I actually liked how things happened but this is also hilarious...
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 30 Apr 2019, 12:25

That was.. a pretty lacklustre episode, and I'm at a bit of a loss - I wasn't expecting the NK and his army to be defeated at Winterfel or for it to happen in the 3rd episode - almost feels like years of building a moment, he cracks a smile and dies, and so does his whole army. What's next, the North marches on Kings Landing with the 12 soldiers they have left?

They spent a huge amount of the episode showing the same things, dragons flying around in a blizzard, and each of the characters nearly getting overwhelmed, then saved at the last moment, over and over, for what felt like 2 hours.

There were some great moments, Theon for example, or the young Mormont girl, but the scene for Jorah seemed trite.. why did Denarys land? Just so he could rescue her? Come on.. feeling let down.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 30 Apr 2019, 12:41

I thought it was going to be a blood bath and 1/2 the main characters were going to get killed off. I know this sounds wrong but I'm almost disappointed there weren't a few more deaths of bigger characters.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 30 Apr 2019, 13:38

It was still enjoyable, but there were a few dumb bits
  • Why did the Dothraki charge off into the darkness alone against a huge horde? Apart from the spectacle, they didn't seem to make an impact
  • Daenerys landing the dragon in the middle of the enemy army, followed by staring after Jon while the dragon got overwhelmed
  • Not bothering to thin out the ranks of wights with arrows while they were standing around staring at the fire trench
  • The Night King taking his sweet time about everything and not really using his dragon to attack the keep at all
  • The Night King's posse just standing around not being useful
  • The siege defences of Winterfell itself were pretty pitiful. Oil pots would be amazing against wights - guess they used it all for the trench
I hope the battle against Cersei happens in the day time.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 30 Apr 2019, 14:25

They had to leave some survivors to kill off in the final three episodes. :D

I do wonder what they're going to do to fill out three episodes now though. If they're still going after Cersei it's a straight march to Kings Landing with whatever forces they have left. Unless they're going to retreat to the Iron Isles and make Cersei come for them? A truce or Cersei abdicating in favour of Daenerys, Jon or Gendry seems pretty unlikely, and two episodes of marching or sailing seems unlikely.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

storm84

Post by storm84 » 30 Apr 2019, 18:09

I'm just looking forward to the final part of the prophecy being fulfilled. The only question is whether it'll be Jaime or Tyrion that fulfills it.

I'm also hoping that something happens with the Robert's bastards storyline. Such a big deal was made kid that in the first couple of books, yet it seems to have died along with the leeches taken off Gendry.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 30 Apr 2019, 18:22

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 13:38
  • Why did the Dothraki charge off into the darkness alone against a huge horde? Apart from the spectacle, they didn't seem to make an impact
  • Daenerys landing the dragon in the middle of the enemy army, followed by staring after Jon while the dragon got overwhelmed
  • Not bothering to thin out the ranks of wights with arrows while they were standing around staring at the fire trench
  • The Night King taking his sweet time about everything and not really using his dragon to attack the keep at all
  • The siege defences of Winterfell itself were pretty pitiful. Oil pots would be amazing against wights - guess they used it all for the trench
*where the fuk did Johns dragon go?

The entire episode just shit on like 70% of the storylines that have evolved, Theon is dead? Guess he isn't Azor Ahai then. Matter of fact, since the Night King is dead there's no reason for Azor Ahai, the red star or any of the mystical shit... because winter got killed by a little girl. Are we expected to believe theres a 1000 year prophecy about "the prince who was promised" and it was all about fighting Cersei?

Enjoyable episode but it was all just a disappointment bar Mellisandre, every other story arc just got spat on.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 30 Apr 2019, 23:47

Jon's dragon flew off into the trailer for next week's episode.

(I honestly thought it had died off screen)

My first thought with the Dothraki charge was "WTF did they do that?"... and that was before the lights started going off too. I mean, they had trebuchets FFS! Just keep hurling balls of fire at the dead to thin out their numbers first. Would it not have been smarter to have taken a defensive position inside Winterfell and laid siege to the approaching army from a fortified position? Put the Unsullied and Dothraki on the walls to hack to death any wights that make it over.

Oil pots was also on my mind too.

And why did they send all the women and children into the crypts where there were undead to be raised? That was something I was expecting.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 01 May 2019, 06:50

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 01 May 2019, 07:21

Even real life strategists are slamming the poor military decisions being made.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/thrones-set ... s-discuss/
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 01 May 2019, 09:59

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 13:38
I thought overall the episode was good fun and very well shot and put together, despite a few dumb moves. It gave a good sense of overwhelming dread I thought, esp when Arya was sneaking around the library. I didn't think of the archers when the wights were waiting for the fire trenches to die down though. That is really dumb, going for a cinematic moment over realism I guess. Most of the others don't bother me too much.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 02 May 2019, 18:55

Mugsy wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 23:47
My first thought with the Dothraki charge was "WTF did they do that?"...
Most of the reason was because it was a fucking GREAT shot, all the flames just guttering out.

I think what fucked with me the most was that they could have just ringed the entire place in fortifications and cut a pile of pikes. They had a decent amount of time to prepare and there's forest all over. The Roman legions did this shit every night in some territories, after marching all day.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

storm84

Post by storm84 » 02 May 2019, 19:36

You'd think that the Dothraki would be useless in anything other than a riding assault - at least for that battle.

Only consolation in it all was that it was a great sequence visually and setting the tone for how hopeless the task was.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 02 May 2019, 21:00

Yeah, I agree that it was one hell of a shot. I guess they didn't want to have common sense get in the way of a great scene.

I agree with Neko that setting the place up with fortifications would have been the way to go. I mean, those Czech hedgehogs with dragon glass on the tips were pretty useful. They just needed to bunker down in winterfell with the trebuchets hurling balls of fire out onto the field to thin down the undead numbers, let the dead smash themselves against a sea of Czech hedgehogs with dragon glass on it. Have the unsullied, wildlings and Night's Watch on the walls holding back the undead that do make it up and have the Dothraki flank the undead from the sides when the undead are at Winterfell.

Anyway, I'm sure they had to thin out Dany's army before the fight with Cersei.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

JNehru

Post by JNehru » 04 May 2019, 01:27

To be honest the 3rd episode was too dark to be analyzed. The lighting was not satisfactory!
Then there is Night King, You just can't kill a character after 7 damn seasons building it. OK if you want to kill the NK but let us know why he wanted to kill Bryan or want to kill all the humanity. There are a lot of questions left unanswered which made it the lowest rated war episode in GOT history. I felt heartbroken when I was watching Game of Thrones live online at 5 am in the morning. Let's hope what the other episodes are about to offer, fingers crossed.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 06 May 2019, 20:47

After all the fuss about dragons, and half an episode of Winterfell banter, the dragon being felled so casually seemed really rushed. If we take this as stemming from GRR's outline, then the stuff in A Feast for Crows about the Dragon-horn has come to fruition.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 May 2019, 00:09

Yeah, the dragon being felled was too casual. Hardly epic.

No happy ending for Grey Worm.

And poor Brienne.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 May 2019, 07:36

Hmmm, dunno how they missed this. It's at the 16min 30sec point...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DeadlineDominic/sta ... 01/photo/1[/tweet]
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 07 May 2019, 07:55

Looks like Sansa might be responsible!

0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 07 May 2019, 10:57

I really should stop paying too much attention to the siege weapons they use. Now we have magic ballistae. The show does have a lot of fantasy and magic elements but with a distinct grounding in reality, this last season seems to have just gone "fuck it".

FWIW there is no way a ballista that size should have been able to reach the dragon, let alone with enough force and accuracy from the prow of a ship to get a first shot hit. Then they started shooting up the regular fleet hitting with force (from over a kilometer it looked like) that would have been impressive for cannon fire.
0 x