Game of Thrones (Season 8) - SPOILERS

Nekosan

Re: Game of Thrones (Season 8) - SPOILERS

Post by Nekosan » 07 May 2019, 17:18

I'm just going to ignore the dragons, the killed one and now the other one will be "too much of a risk" to use, so things are more even.

I'd like to point out that the best way to supplement your budget is to leave a starbucks cup in a shot and ensure that everyone istalking about it. Likewise i wouldnt put it pas them to slip someone a cool mil in return for doing it.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 May 2019, 07:31

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 13 May 2019, 23:57

I'm not sure I'm enjoying how the show is ending. Had the episode on one screen and Diablo 3 on the other... and I was only cleaning up my stash with Diablo 3 and I was focused on that so much more.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 14 May 2019, 01:44

After all Daenerys has seen and done and all the people she's lost, she loses her mind over Missandei? Oh, the Targaryen curse, blah blah blah.

Feels like all the work she's done for seven seasons has been a waste because they want Jon Snow on the throne, so suddenly she's the mad queen.

And Cersei's fate was deeply unsatisfying.

I hate it, and I'm glad there's only one episode left. :(
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 May 2019, 06:51

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt the same way.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 May 2019, 07:01

Maybe this is what drove her mad...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 14 May 2019, 08:04

Main thing that annoyed me was them changing the prophecy. Damnit, Cersei was meant to be choked to death by her younger brother! Apart from that, I really liked the episode. Arya in the streets trying not to get caught up in the chaos and being otherwise useless was quite refreshing. The destruction of the city was brutal in a way that US generals must dream about when they liberate countries from tyrants.

There's a part of me that sees Littlefinger's hand in all of this - that he contrived his own "death" in order to better place himself when WMDaenerys destroys the kingdom. Chaos is a ladder...
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 14 May 2019, 12:15

One final note, reading on the internet about how surprised everyone seems to be that Daenerys went super crazy. This was a person who grew up being told Westeros was her family's birthright, and that she would be welcomed with open arms when the Usurper was overthrown. The stark contrast she had seen when she finally got back to Westeros where she had inadvertently become the outsider whose name didn't inspire the love or respect she needed to rule. We've had two seasons now of her clashing with every Lord and Lady where she expected them to unfurl the banners they were said to secretly knit. In that moment, and with that level of rage, the character arc feels like it has come to its tragic completion.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 14 May 2019, 12:31

She's also shown those tendencies in earlier seasons with burning of people who displease her, particularly in Westeros.
Seems a little pointless that she sent in the army when she was going to nuke the whole city anyway.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 14 May 2019, 17:42

That was a steaming pile of shit, capped off with an absolutely inadequate preparation for Dany going postal. Aerys is the benchmark and he took over a decade to go mad(and it turns out they drove him to it, they WERE after him), she was sulky for one episode, cried for one episode then burns a million people to death with (suddenly) infinite dragonfire.

I feel like a 6 year old could have shit out a better episode than that. Seriously... how much better would that have been if Cercei escaped to Essos and the episode ended with her walking along in the market and a street child runs up and gives her a fancy box that has one of those beetles in it that they tried to assassinate Dany with.

Now we just get to sit back and relax as everyone dies but Arya and her(conveniently legitimized) Baratheon heir.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 May 2019, 18:54

Phone froze earlier so I lost what I had typed up at lunch time.

I'm on the same page as Neko... they didn't prepare for Dany going mad adequately. They needed have started last season and carried it through this season. It's like they've just let the travel time issue plague character development too by rushing things.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 14 May 2019, 19:19

Since they've gone off book, they have the outline GRRM gave them on where the story goes, so they've been connecting plot points for 2 and a half seasons now. I can't be too harsh on them for that reason. It's Martin's story, not theirs, and Martin is taking forever because of how difficult it has been to go where the story needed to. The flip side is books 4 and 5 that went so slowly because they were building up characters and events.

I think maybe the extremity of the annihilation of King's Landing may have been a surprise, but I disagree it's out of the blue that she's capable or willing to go that way for the reasons I pointed out above. It has been coming, even if it escalated quickly.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 May 2019, 21:31

Don't get me wrong... Dany going mad is something I'm OK with. It's just the execution is a bit rushed.

I barely watched the episode as it was rushed and came off dull.

Cleganebowl was also underwhelming.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 14 May 2019, 21:55

I'm trying to watch season 8 without reddit Freefolk and different forums upsetting me or clouding how I feel. But watching it I can see things that make me go WTF. The writing is just incoherent and really bad.

I'm not going to re-hash my feelings of the last episode because they're all over the net but (if I may) my biggest disappointment was Cersei and Jaime's endings - they could have done so much more with that (though I find it hard to believe Jaime would have gone back to Cersei after falling for Brienne and the whole character arc thing - but whatever).

There are so many threads and characters that have just been left abandoned or forgotten. There was so much material the writers could have worked with. If I'm honest I wanted to see some of the main characters die - but not how it was done.

Some friends at work are waiting till season 8 is released and going to binge watch it. I'm doing everything I can to bite my tongue though they're asking a bit about it sometimes. I feel like they're going to be disappointed...I'm just glad there is one episode left.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 15 May 2019, 12:55

You could always direct them to the YouTube clip of the various actors giving their brief reviews of the final season. It will probably put them off though.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 May 2019, 17:37

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 17 May 2019, 07:43

I finally watched the episode last night after being away on business all week, preparing for the worst with all the complaints that have been circling around the internet. But I have to say I *loved* the episode. I loved it precisely for it's suddeness, all of the sudden all assumptions about heroes and villians go out the window with the saviour of Westeros being the mad queen, her troops descending into battle lust, and Jon in the middle of it not knowing how its all happened. Meanwhile Cersei is completely broken and has suddenly turned from being the cold ice queen to just being terrified for the life of her unborn child. Classic GoT I thought.

I thought the Cleganebowl sections were amazing, the cinematography of the hulking form of The Mountain looking down the stairs at his little brother was perfect, and the reveal of the damage done to him was really effective. The Euron bits were a bit naff but as a character he's pretty naff anyway.

I mean what did people want exactly? Jon and Dany triumphantly march into town, have a medal ceremony and Chewie roars before the credits roll? I sort of feel like with the long gap between seasons and the amount of expectation that there was always going to be disappointment, and I'm worried that the absolute freaking out that seems to be going on online (not saying anyone here is at that level, but petitions to remake it? Please) will dissuade future TV producers from attempting to make anything on this scale ever again.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 17 May 2019, 10:29

I agree that the general cinematography and directing is top notch (barring some of the Battle of Winterfell), but the writing, pacing and order of events is a bit ehhhhhh.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 17 May 2019, 18:17

Sathias wrote:
17 May 2019, 07:43
I mean what did people want exactly?

I wanted it to not be obvious they were just lazy assholes pissing away a 90 million dollar season budget.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 20 May 2019, 15:23

And now our watch has ended....
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 20 May 2019, 16:31

I'm going to watch the last episode either tonight or tomorrow. Can't really browse Reddit for spoilers at the moment... :)
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 20 May 2019, 18:51

Watched the last episode tonight, no social media, turned of my phone the whole shebang.. and I'm underwhelmed.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 20 May 2019, 20:14

Disco wrote:
20 May 2019, 18:51
Watched the last episode tonight, no social media, turned of my phone the whole shebang.. and I'm underwhelmed.
Yep.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 20 May 2019, 20:34

Wish the spinoff was Arya's adventure. Definitely the only good thing to come of the finale.

At least it's done now!
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 20 May 2019, 21:05

I thought the last ep was fine... not amazing, but not awful. There have certainly been worse last episodes of big shows. A tricky proposition to get right I guess.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite