What are you watching?

storm84

Re: What are you watching?

Post by storm84 » 08 Feb 2016, 20:35

Last night, I started watching The Leftovers. Enjoying it so far. Between that and The Returned airing on SBS2 right now, there's more than enough creepy unsettling stuff to watch.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 09 Feb 2016, 11:29

My Kitchen Rules has always been a guilty pleasure, but this year has been so rough that I'm giving up on it, my partner still watches it while I'm gaming so I've still be following it a bit but I won't go out of my way to watch it.

The first couple of seasons was all about the cooking with some generic sob story 'reality TV' type drama. Then they had a big success with those bitchy Vietnamese girls a couple of years ago and now thats all they try and do is push 1 team to the be the horrible bitchy team, then they hardly show any of the cooking or any of the other people in the contest. They didn't even promote last nights Mother/Son team at all, even though they cooked some awesome food and got the highest score, except for a clip tacked on at the start of the big promo if the bitchy girl can actually cook which is tonight's episode, Its just all so negative and I hate it.

Plus the editing is horrible the promo shows the bitchy girls throwing stuff in the rubbish bin with big CGI explosions on it to cover up the fact she is probably just throwing up actual rubbish, or when the judges say something bad about about a dish someone else made it instantly cuts to a shot of her smiling, but its such an extreme close up so you can't see the table or the people around her to cover the fact it was most likely a shot of her smiling for something completely different.

It's basically this

Now I need a new guilty pleasure. I wonder what the Kardashians are up too...
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 09 Feb 2016, 11:41

I just started Mr Robot a few days ago.
Where has this show been all my life?
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 09 Feb 2016, 11:47

We saw the pilot episode of that then blew out our download limit, looking forward to seeing the rest.

At first I was worried Rami Malek was going to be playing the physical manifestation of a default subreddit political comment thread but he is really awesome.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 09 Feb 2016, 17:24

Yeah best show of last year easily.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Steve_Rogers42

Post by Steve_Rogers42 » 09 Feb 2016, 22:30

So, Back from Hiatus.

My Missus dropped me some early valentine's love in the form of taking me to the cinema, specifically the ACMI in Melb's to see a film I have waited 3 years to see. I thought it would be a perfect time to mention as it's about to drop (as of the 10th, some retailers have released early) for those not in the know.

This may trigger rewatching by those who know the series, as its pretty much what I have been doing the last 2 days or so ;)

Evangelion 3:00 YOU CAN (NOT) REDO (Q)

First up, if your not an Anime fan, or for that matter, an Anime fan, TL;DR :clap: Congratulations! Anime has hit new heights and we can finally embrace [s]instrumentality[/s] owning a film that was officially released back on '12.

For those who want to know more, Imma try and put this into words,

If your a fan of the franchise and have been seeking a resolution, answers, a solid wrap up or conclusion to all that has come before, this is not the answer. Simply, everything that has come before cannot be redone to wrap things up in a simple film, what you get instead is brilliance.

If you hated the franchise as it never made sense, never gave a conclusive answer and the ending to the original series (or the original movies for that matter) was all kinds of wishy washy overhyped cray, if you have yet to invest time into the Rebuilds, please do so now. If you have invested time into the rebuilds, what does 3 bring to the table? Brilliance.

If you have never had the time or effort or liked or thought of or spent time with Anime, and have no idea of the monster that lives behind the words 'Neon Genesis Evangelion'. If you think that 3d animation in Pixar films and in new Disney and another from america is 'good' animation. This series will break you.

I'm Biased, NGE has been a part of my growth from child to man, its a series that has lingered, left questions, changed how I thought and what I thought time and time again. To me it is a hallmark, a Glorious Example of media that can change, inspire and devote people, that rewrites, challenges and destroys concepts and tropes whilst steadily moving like an icebreaker through a sea of clones, alone and resolute.
It can be argued that it is a blatant rip of different anime but at the core it is its own, be its artistic style, its flair or its deranged story.

What 3:00 brings to the table, over the previous two rebuilds is to put simply, a brutal, brilliant, amazing non stop experience from start to finish.

It is unlike an Evangelion that came before, but still Evangelion all the same. You still have all the familiar cast, the same worries, the same quasi-psychological-transendental BS, but then. THEN, you have some of the most glorious 3d visuals, the most OP mix and match of symphonic/metal that just works so GODDAMN WELL, you get some answers and yet more questions but you are hooked the whole time.

I'm a big fan of the new techniques some anime studios are employing blending 2d/3d, if your a fan of the Monogatari series (Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari/Nekomonogatari/Owarimonogatari) 3:0 has a very familiar animation style, whilst still retaining all of the long standing hallmarks of the Evangelion animation, low detail shots, amazing panoramas, and the colour. A lot of the fight footage is reminiscent of Gurren Lagann, with focus on the pilot's faces and the changes of animation styles to reflect the impact during the fight scenes, all the while beautifully rendered Eva Units doing the usual blood 'splosion and crazy antics abound.

For a reboot of a franchise, 3:0 brings with it new hope, Hope that we get an ending to this brilliant saga, or a continuation distraught with all the emotional and crazy in depth writing, brought to you by a studio that loves its audience and has moved on from its rough past to brighter futures.

Yeah, was more amped for this than Force Awakens.

<3

As for what I have been watching, been rewatching X-Files, to lead into the new season, rewatching some Pokemon for the 20th anniversary this year (Team Rocket FTW) and slowly going through my back catalogue of Anime on Crunchyroll / AnimeLab / Hannabee
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Feb 2016, 22:43

hmm i can sense an evangelion binge approaching
0 x

Steve_Rogers42

Post by Steve_Rogers42 » 09 Feb 2016, 23:17

Do it, I have a rewatch atleast once a year.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 10 Feb 2016, 00:24

Watched The Big Short. Pretty damn cool.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 10 Feb 2016, 04:03

Steve_Rogers42 wrote:Do it, I have a rewatch atleast once a year.

What if i watched 2001 too many times and a child an i was happy with the original ending of Evangellion?
0 x

Steve_Rogers42

Post by Steve_Rogers42 » 10 Feb 2016, 09:52

Nekosan wrote:
Steve_Rogers42 wrote:Do it, I have a rewatch atleast once a year.

What if i watched 2001 too many times and a child an i was happy with the original ending of Evangellion?
Then you will learn, hard and fast, what makes rebuilds brilliant.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 10 Feb 2016, 10:07

Still getting through series 3 of The Great British Bake Off.

Blows all of those other shitty cooking shows out of the water.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 10 Feb 2016, 19:54

Steve_Rogers42 wrote:Evangelion 3:00 YOU CAN (NOT) REDO (Q)
I remember seeing this at a film festival a couple of years ago. It's amazing just how far they've departed from the original series with this film especially.

Hope I don't have to wait forever for 4.0
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 13 Feb 2016, 20:12

just finished binge watching 10 seasons of Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Don't know what to binge next, also did 5 seasons of Bobs Burgers
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 13 Feb 2016, 23:24

Binge watching The West Wing atm myself. Last time I saw it was when it was on TV the first time. Better than I remembered it, but it's getting a bit samey after 2 seasons in 4 days. Starting to remind me of Seinfeld - a show about nothing.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 15 Feb 2016, 14:32

Wife and I have been watching X-Files. Makes me want to go back and watch all the OG seasons as I only remember seeing bits and pieces back as a kid and it's a bit confusing and hard to explain certain things to the wife.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 15 Feb 2016, 14:57

NotThatDoug wrote:also did 5 seasons of Bobs Burgers
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 15 Feb 2016, 15:53

Oh my god. I didnt realize he said it that much until now.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 15 Feb 2016, 16:28

Everyone remembers Linda's alrights but never Bobs oh my gods.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 18 Feb 2016, 00:23

The Night Before isn't a half bad movie. If Seth Rogen & co keep putting out movies like this and The Interview for the rest of their careers I won't complain.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 18 Feb 2016, 15:56

I've been binge watching Vikings on Netflix. Damn good show, not sure why I hadn't caught onto it sooner and it is certainly a new addiction (not quite through Season 2 yet). I was surprised to discover Ragnar Lothbrok is played by an Australian actor.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 18 Feb 2016, 16:21

Mearehear wrote:I was surprised to discover Ragnar Lothbrok is played by an Australian actor.
I'm amazed how well he's done with the role TBH, he was originally an underwear model and then he was Tarzan (and terrible) but he really works as Ragnar. There's a couple of easter eggs through out the show too if you know anything about that stage in history.
Last edited by Nekosan on 18 Feb 2016, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 18 Feb 2016, 16:22

Anyone who has US netflix and likes superhero stuff needs to watch Young Justice. it was an awesome animated series following the side kicks of the big justice league memebers going out on their own. its pretty awesome but it got canned after 2 seasons cause they weren't selling enough toys, now Netflix has it and is thinking about bringing it back if its popular enough.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 18 Feb 2016, 16:58

Nekosan wrote:I'm amazed how well he's done with the role TBH, he was originally an underwear model and then he was Tarzan (and terrible) but he really works as Ragnar. There's a couple of easter eggs through out the show too if you know anything about that stage in history.
I completely agree! I didn't know anything about him until I got curious the other day and took to Google. Sounds like acting really came to him late in his career, and he has gone from an almost Saint Kilda footballer (sidelined due to injury, so his wiki says) to things like underwear model like you mentioned. I think he plays Ragnar extremely well! It has also made me look up a little of the history, as I wasn't originally aware that it was based on anything "factual" but it seems he is an actual figure from Norse poetry. Really quite interesting.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 18 Feb 2016, 19:21

Mearehear wrote:. Really quite interesting.

The interesting part is Rollo IMO, there's a part where the seer says something like "if you knew what the gods have in store you'd be dancing on the beach" when Rollo is bitching about always being second fiddle. He was the first king of Normandy and pretty much every Western European royal today is descended from him.

It's interesting to see how they're treating Ragnar's sons because we know they actually existed but very little else about them, things like they know Ivar was called "boneless" but they have no idea if he was a cripple or if he was just a beast on the battlefield.

It's actually kind of messed up how little we actually KNOW about history and how much we "know" is just based off 1-2 accounts from one person and we take it as gospel.
0 x