Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

kittycatArcane

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by kittycatArcane » 06 Dec 2018, 16:03

Having second thoughts about my major. Goddamnit.
0 x
Edon Characters: Fade Draschen, Kreznomaar Vorin, Aedvulf, Arkuel Fay'drithe, Kaillyn Cylvaril, Kyreen Fay'drithe

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 06 Dec 2018, 17:16

own it Kitty and then grab another....

and why I'm alive....
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 06 Dec 2018, 18:57

Everyone has second thoughts about their major. My advice...

- pick one you do well in and pays decently. If you happen to still end up miserable, at least be miserable with money
- be prepared to go back for more study. But when it does happen you'll probably know what you want and why
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 06 Dec 2018, 19:54

Re: McRib, It's existed a few times (firstly mid-late 90s) but the last time they brought it back was "eh".
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 06 Dec 2018, 21:33

After getting my degree, I've spent the next 12 years wondering why I didn't get a degree in something else. But unless you need a degree for a vocation, it's pretty easy to just learn stuff in your own time in whatever interests you.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 06 Dec 2018, 22:23

The other thing to keep in mind is if your workplace is willing to chip in with your next degree, it can help you pass the time without having to pay for much. Hint: Public service jobs are great for this if your chosen field exists in the public service.

Also agree that it's pretty easy to learn stuff on your own without the stress of assignments and exams, though, the latter will certainly help drill the concepts into your brain better.
storm84 wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 21:33
After getting my degree, I've spent the next 12 years wondering why I didn't get a degree in something else.
On the bright side, you didn't get a degree that you don't use and also didn't accumulate HECS debt in doing so.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 07 Dec 2018, 02:57

I am somewhat limited in what I can do since I'm frankly not smart enough for something like, say, STEM. Definitely not the right person for social work. I'm currently entering the trades. I genuinely think I'll like what I do, I'm just not looking forward to destroying my body.
Dunno what else there is for me though, I know a career of sitting would drive me batshit :D

I'm just not looking forward to the cumulative physical damage when I have zero guarantees of access to health insurance.

I can get another degree later I suppose, it's not like it nullifies the one I'm getting now. But finding something I'd enjoy and that I actually have the capability for is hard.
0 x
Edon Characters: Fade Draschen, Kreznomaar Vorin, Aedvulf, Arkuel Fay'drithe, Kaillyn Cylvaril, Kyreen Fay'drithe

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 07 Dec 2018, 08:57

I had my 'formal' performance review yesterday with the Board, it went for over 4 hours... relieved that it was pretty well nothing but glowing, there were no areas where they wanted to see improvement and I got so many compliments that I was borderline embarrassed by it all. I do get shitty when I feel I'm not acknowledged for all I put in here, but at the same time I feel really awkward when I am praised.

One comment that made me feel really chuffed was " You've filled this place with warmth, love and laughter. I can see you're someone who thinks you walk into a room and are invisible, that you do everything for everyone but no one sees or hears you. Let me assure you that in this building you are anything but that. You have this delightful sparkle in your eyes when you smile. You light up the room, our families gravitate to you, our volunteers respect you and our staff and Board admire you. You should be so very, very proud."

The only thing I got chipped on was my constant refusal to wear a hat when we are attending outdoor events (fundraisers, community events, etc) because I feel like I look like a dickhead in a hat, so in order to get me to wear one they have decided that they will be taking me to a local lady who is an incredible milliner. She makes crazy expensive custom designed hats for the who's who of the local community. They will be paying for her to custom make any hat I want, as long as I agree to wear it to our outdoor events.

Also a pay rise coming my way, and being backdated to my work anniversary.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 07 Dec 2018, 09:39

trades are good kitty, electrical trade is probably the kindest on the body and if you have any coding skill then that is the trade of the moment... cyber security is screaming for good folk :)

and good morning... the Pipe is rocking :D
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 07 Dec 2018, 09:49

kittycatArcane wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 16:03
Just pick something that will make you money, chasing a dream job is a waste of time - money will allow you a number of things.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 07 Dec 2018, 11:18

The pack of miserable cunts we call a government has passed another bullshit law - https://www.zdnet.com/article/hasty-pjc ... us-report/
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 07 Dec 2018, 11:21

Worst thing about it is the bipartisan support. So it's not like we even have a sensible opposition up oppose it.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 07 Dec 2018, 13:02

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 11:18
The pack of miserable cunts we call a government has passed another bullshit law - https://www.zdnet.com/article/hasty-pjc ... us-report/
it is crazy bad legislation; I'm only about 2/3 in reading it while watching the cricket but it really is bad stupid;
Labor has promised to review it and didn't want to be wedged by the LNP over summer as it looks more likely a march election and no more sitting days.
can't come fast enough to dump scomo the clown and fence punching dutton !
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 07 Dec 2018, 13:46

Unless the tech companies push back properly with something like a boycott, I doubt the legislation will change. Only other thing that might do it is the inevitable massive breach provided they can't blame it on something else.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 07 Dec 2018, 13:54

National security is one area where we can expect bipartisan stupidity, and it's easy to understand why. Displays of insufficient condemnation are taken as not being hard enough, so the outcome is always an erosion of our liberties for (at best) modest outcomes.

The bigger worry with this is how international companies will treat Australia, since we aren't a large market. Methinks we will get Australia-only versions of products to comply with legislation -
which will be circumvented by criminals anyway - and that it'll weaken our IT sector in being able to cater for international and multinational compliance. Or worse, that this starts a trend for authoritarian illiberal regimes to similarly want such access and becomes the beginning of the end for an open Internet.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 07 Dec 2018, 22:10

Disco wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 09:49
kittycatArcane wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 16:03
Just pick something that will make you money, chasing a dream job is a waste of time - money will allow you a number of things.

This ^

If i could go back id smash something out and just work it till i was 30. BOOM you own your first house and now you can do whatever the fuk you want.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 Dec 2018, 22:30

kittycatArcane wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 02:57
I genuinely think I'll like what I do, I'm just not looking forward to destroying my body.
Dunno what else there is for me though, I know a career of sitting would drive me batshit :D

I'm just not looking forward to the cumulative physical damage when I have zero guarantees of access to health insurance.

I can get another degree later I suppose, it's not like it nullifies the one I'm getting now. But finding something I'd enjoy and that I actually have the capability for is hard.
My brother finished with an accounting degree almost 10yrs ago and he ended up working for Treasury. Earlier this year, he got his diploma in remedial massage and is now building up a massage business part time. He got sick of sitting down all day thus the change. The massage work is a bit of a shock to his body at times but he's adapted to it. He's taken a big pay cut though so I hope he doesn't end up hurting himself physically in anyway as that's expenditure/loss of income that he doesn't need to occur.

I on the other hand have been doing desk jobs since 2003 (after 18yrs of a lot of sitting already before that during my studies)... I have back issues, neck issues and my calves have issue stretching and a prone to cramping. I guess my saving grace is that (excuse the pun) I've been saving heaps over the years so can afford the physio etc that I need now.

I guess my point is that no matter what career you go in, you can ruin your body in different ways. As Disco and Neko have both said as well, pick one that earns you a decent bit of money. And save that money for a rainy day because rainy days do some (for me it feels like rainy years atm). If you feel like you need a career change down the track like my bro did, at least have the money available to make it happen.

One thing I did find when picking my second degree... I was wiser and knew what I wanted to do so my grades reflected it, and my attitude and commitment reflected it too. I had no second thoughts.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mini

Post by Mini » 10 Dec 2018, 09:37

Well I have fallen behind with my advent calendar...
I have only had 2 of the beers so far (Day 1 and 2) and then I came down with a nasal congestion and have been on cold and flu tablets since then trying to kill it. Decided I wanted the cold gone, and alcohol wasn't really going to help that, so have held off.

Just means I it will be 2 beers a night from now on to catch up :D
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 10 Dec 2018, 09:58

I'm struggling with nasal congestion, very high pollen count in Canberra atm

and this is beautiful...
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 10 Dec 2018, 10:08

Oh Bugger, sorry to hear you've not been well, it sucks getting sick at this time of year.

We've been having a great time with our Advent Calendar - we had my Christmas Party on Saturday night and I seriously did NOT need another alcoholic drink yesterday but I powered through, we haven't missed a day and we haven't skipped ahead.

Been really happy with the quality of the beers on offer in ours:

Day 1: The Silly Season Hoppy Lager by Hop Nation Brewing Co, I liked it but Disco wasn't a fan.
Day 2: Citrus Bling IPA by Bridge Road Brewers, Disco liked it but I wasn't a fan, it was too bitter for my liking.
Day 3: Tropical Haze Juicy Pale Ale by 3 Ravens Brewery, we both liked it and it's my favourite so far.
Day 4: Okinawa XPA by Temple Brewing Co, we both liked it.
Day 5: Munich Lager by Hope Estate, we both liked it.
Day 6: Chainsaw Ale by Prickly Moses, we both liked it.
Day 7: Tingleberry Hoppy Gose by Mornington Peninsula Brewery, fuck that shit, it was disgusting and we both threw it out.
Day 8: Crankshaft IPA by BentSpoke Brewing Co, we both liked it
Day 9: Sesh Mid Strength Ale by Stockdale Brew Co, we both liked it.

Most of Neko's ciders have been looking good too, I wouldn't have minded one of those. Maybe next year.

We also have enough alcohol in our house now to kill a small brown dog, so we're fully stocked for the festive season - on top of our advent calendars, there's over 100 bottles of beer, just under 30 bottles of wine and half a dozen bottles of bubbly. I'll have to book in for a liver transplant in 2019.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 10 Dec 2018, 11:43

Signed on for some boxing lessons to top up my jiu jitsu and keep me out of trouble, I know almost nothing about boxing and have only been in a few fights so it will be interesting to see just how much I suck
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Dec 2018, 19:14

Boxing is good fun.

I've been advised against it though since there's a bit hip rotation that isn't good for my scoliosis which is a shame seeing how boxing was the best part of the PT sessions I use to get.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 10 Dec 2018, 20:40

CherryRed wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 08:57
TouchyFeelyStuff™
That's pretty damn awesome Cherry! It's nice to feel appreciated at work. Enjoy the sneaky custom stealth beer-hat I know you're gonna get made :thumbup: :wink:
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 10 Dec 2018, 20:44

Nitephyre wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 20:40
CherryRed wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 08:57
TouchyFeelyStuff™
That's pretty damn awesome Cherry! It's nice to feel appreciated at work. Enjoy the sneaky custom stealth beer-hat I know you're gonna get made :thumbup: :wink:
Thank you ❤️
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 11 Dec 2018, 19:37

Back from Africa! I didn't get eaten by any lions or anything. Just going to share one picture, cos everyone's seen all the things all of the times. I took it by putting my phone up to the eye piece of a pair of binoculars - genius tour guide suggestion.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.