MuscularTeeth

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by MuscularTeeth » 09 Nov 2016, 19:56

sigh
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 09 Nov 2016, 20:01

I feel sorry for the homeland security advisors that have to patiently explain to Donald every day why nuking people is a bad idea
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

storm84

Post by storm84 » 09 Nov 2016, 20:03

Sathias wrote:I feel sorry for the homeland security advisors that have to patiently explain to Donald every day why nuking people is a bad idea
His staff took his twitter account away from him - maybe the secret service will do the same with the nuclear launch codes.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 09 Nov 2016, 20:06

They basically elected the American version of Hitler.

Prove me wrong Donald.
Last edited by Matty on 09 Nov 2016, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 09 Nov 2016, 20:08

As much as I think Trump has no qualities befitting a President, an assassination attempt will just make him a martyr to the nutjob tinfoil hat conservatives and rightwingers.

For all his grandstanding, imo he will be kept in check militarily by the Joint Chiefs.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 09 Nov 2016, 20:11

great wall of china, berlin wall, wailing wall, hadrians wall, now trumps wall.
cant think of other great walls at the moment...
athens had a pretty amazing wall from its city to its port, but that doesnt count.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 09 Nov 2016, 20:20

So if the Mexicans have to pay for the wall, does that also include the Trump branding he will want across the wall as well?
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 09 Nov 2016, 21:25

Alec Baldwin has to be conflicted, on the one had he was a Hillary supporter, on the other hand his career will get a bit of a resurgence with 4 years of Trump impersonations on SNL
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2016, 21:27

Im expecting alec to mysteriously vanish

0 x

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 09 Nov 2016, 22:02

The election that ripped friendships apart, including mine.

I'm not okay.
0 x

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 09 Nov 2016, 22:09

its gonna be hilarious to watch cnn and other networks new people beg and scrape for forgiveness after all their dumping on trump for the clintons.

its a lot like brexit, seems democracy worked differently to the preferential media polls. same sort of thing happend here to a lesser extent with the closeness of last election and the addition of pauleen hanson.

for the USA sake i hope he is able to pass the term limit for congressmen. dont think they are gonna vote themselves out of the life long gravy train but i think if something like 36 states sign for it he can force it through.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 09 Nov 2016, 23:59

Interesting article on Cracked of all places about how he won - http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-t ... lks-about/
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 10 Nov 2016, 00:27

I have my own theory for how he won, spoiler alert it's got to do with the downright stupidity of US voters.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 07331.html
0 x

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 10 Nov 2016, 02:00

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:Interesting article on Cracked of all places about how he won - http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-t ... lks-about/
that's actually a good article minus a bit of hyperbole, thanks.
0 x

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 10 Nov 2016, 02:09

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:Interesting article on Cracked of all places about how he won - http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-t ... lks-about/
As someone who lives in one of those country areas that people like to make fun of and spit on, this article is painfully, glaringly true.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 10 Nov 2016, 07:03

I've read that Cracked article before and it's quite interesting, the part that isn't explained is why Trump is seen as the answer. He's as much New York blue blood as Clinton, and if the poor and middle class think they will get a better deal out of him they are dreaming.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

storm84

Post by storm84 » 10 Nov 2016, 08:29

Sathias wrote:I've read that Cracked article before and it's quite interesting, the part that isn't explained is why Trump is seen as the answer. He's as much New York blue blood as Clinton, and if the poor and middle class think they will get a better deal out of him they are dreaming.
That, to me, is the absurdity of it all. They've shot down Clinton for being an insider, but Trump was born an insider and has been an insider his whole life. What was a liability to Clinton turned out to be an asset to Trump. Clinton was the shadowy figure making backroom deals - Trump was a businessman who should be applauded for doing the same.

For my money, the answer lies in identity politics. It doesn't matter whether Trump will actually do anything to help, but that he shares the same values. When people are asked a question they can't answer, they translate it into a question they can and answer that. If Trump's message managed to resonate with half the voters, maybe we should be looking to what part of the message actually resonated with people. "Will Trump be a better president than Clinton?" becomes "Which candidate understands the problems I'm facing?"

Every indication so far suggests Trump will be an utter fucking disaster (I really hope I'm wrong on this), but we shouldn't underestimate why politicians like him, or Nigel Farage in the UK, or even Pauline Hanson in Australia are gaining a political foothold with their parochial rhetoric. I really hope that over the next few years, the left learns to look beyond dismissing those who vote for the right wing as racist misogynistic bigots who want to set the country back, and actively looks to engage with those voters.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 10 Nov 2016, 09:27

It really was the Dems election to lose, they lost the working class to a guy who is about as far removed from the working class as possilbe, also:
Damn America, get out and vote, but also don't be dickheads about it, there is a rumour Harambe the gorilla got 11,000 votes, Pro Wrestler Matt Hardy got a heap of write in votes
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 10 Nov 2016, 09:41

In Laws are looking after my daughter for the next Perth trip, that's going to make the trip way easier.
0 x

Longflanks

Post by Longflanks » 10 Nov 2016, 11:09

NotThatDoug wrote:It really was the Dems election to lose, they lost the working class to a guy who is about as far removed from the working class as possilbe, also:
Damn America, get out and vote, but also don't be dickheads about it, there is a rumour Harambe the gorilla got 11,000 votes, Pro Wrestler Matt Hardy got a heap of write in votes
While your on the subject of dickheads, this country voted Pauline Hansen into parliament.
1 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 10 Nov 2016, 11:23

Well, you gotta have a little diversity
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 10 Nov 2016, 13:55

Longflanks wrote: While your on the subject of dickheads, this country voted Pauline Hansen into parliament.
TFW you go to prison for electoral fraud and still get elected.... :lol:

storm84 wrote:
Sathias wrote:I've read that Cracked article before and it's quite interesting, the part that isn't explained is why Trump is seen as the answer. He's as much New York blue blood as Clinton, and if the poor and middle class think they will get a better deal out of him they are dreaming.
That, to me, is the absurdity of it all. They've shot down Clinton for being an insider, but Trump was born an insider and has been an insider his whole life. What was a liability to Clinton turned out to be an asset to Trump. Clinton was the shadowy figure making backroom deals - Trump was a businessman who should be applauded for doing the same.

For my money, the answer lies in identity politics. It doesn't matter whether Trump will actually do anything to help, but that he shares the same values. When people are asked a question they can't answer, they translate it into a question they can and answer that. If Trump's message managed to resonate with half the voters, maybe we should be looking to what part of the message actually resonated with people. "Will Trump be a better president than Clinton?" becomes "Which candidate understands the problems I'm facing?"

Every indication so far suggests Trump will be an utter fucking disaster (I really hope I'm wrong on this), but we shouldn't underestimate why politicians like him, or Nigel Farage in the UK, or even Pauline Hanson in Australia are gaining a political foothold with their parochial rhetoric. I really hope that over the next few years, the left learns to look beyond dismissing those who vote for the right wing as racist misogynistic bigots who want to set the country back, and actively looks to engage with those voters.

Pretty much, I think it's really a case of "they might be the same at heart, but we KNOW one candidate is definitely the same old breed of lying asshole... so might as well vote for the other one on the .5% chance he's different to the establishment".

Sure there are going to be people who voted for Trump because of his extreme comments on things, but i think a majority just voted for a familiar face that wasn't a career politician... it could have been any American actor/actress for any party and they might have pulled it off. I honestly think that is Ahnuld was born in America we'd be starting his 3rd term as President.

People were joking about "kanye 2020" but he probably could have won THIS election.

I predict Sanders 2020 and he dies of a heart attack at the inauguration.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Disco

Post by Disco » 10 Nov 2016, 14:08

I think I read somewhere that Trump is the only President that has never previously serviced in a government role or been a high ranking military officer?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 10 Nov 2016, 15:01

NotThatDoug wrote:Damn America, get out and vote, but also don't be dickheads about it, there is a rumour Harambe the gorilla got 11,000 votes, Pro Wrestler Matt Hardy got a heap of write in votes
It was somewhere between 14000 and 15000 votes for Harambe, which is even more disappointing.
People here (as in here in the US, not playerattack) don't seem to realize that not voting and remaining totally passive is part of how we get into these situations in the first place.
0 x