Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

CherryRed

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by CherryRed » 18 Jan 2018, 17:08

Mugsy wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 15:53
CherryRed wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 14:17
Trying to ring a father from a remote community in far west NSW to confirm his accommodation from tomorrow so he can come down and support his teenage child that's in hospital, and every time he answers the phone he just keeps shouting at me "I'm busy, bruh... I'm watchin' a movie... I already told you luv, I dunno who ya are, but I'm watchin' a movie and I'll call ya later, bruh" and he just hangs up. I've tried three times. Every time he shouts at me that he's watching a movie and slams the phone down. Helpful.
That's depressing on so many levels.
That's seriously tame compared to some things I've seen since becoming manager... one of my key responsibilities is to build a close relationship with each of the families, and sometimes that's really, really, REALLY hard because often they're people you otherwise would cross the road to avoid, and often they're doing things and making choices that to me simply don't make sense. It's hard to take my McJudgey Pants off and remain neutral. Thankfully I have a very understanding boss, and when I need to rant/rave/scream about how frustrating some people and/or situations are, she just lets me get it all out.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Jan 2018, 08:56

Reset all my Firefox Quantum extensions in order to get back the channels menu in Youtube... only to later discover that Fox Clocks was the addon that was hiding the channels - grrrr!
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 21 Jan 2018, 10:05

One of my volunteers found some bitch stealing flowers from our garden at work this morning... not just a few flowers, she had a giant washing basket she was filling with fresh cut flowers from the garden my volunteers have worked tirelessly on every week. Pisses me off.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Jan 2018, 17:54

I saw this article on public housing tenants and I have to say that I really feel for the poor residents being affected:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... id=UE07DHP

I was in the same position at my old unit. You just feared for your life. The Housing Commission departments around the country really need to step up their game with managing the impact of the more troublesome public housing tenants on society.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 21 Jan 2018, 18:39

CherryRed wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 10:05
One of my volunteers found some bitch stealing flowers from our garden at work this morning... not just a few flowers, she had a giant washing basket she was filling with fresh cut flowers from the garden my volunteers have worked tirelessly on every week. Pisses me off.
And I bet she was bundling them up and selling them... Sunday is a great day to visit family and it's always nice to bring flowers.. oh hey, there's someone selling flowers on the roadside...

There's always someone willing to make a quick buck... on the backs of other peoples hard work.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 21 Jan 2018, 18:55

Mugsy wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 17:54
I saw this article on public housing tenants and I have to say that I really feel for the poor residents being affected:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... id=UE07DHP

I was in the same position at my old unit. You just feared for your life. The Housing Commission departments around the country really need to step up their game with managing the impact of the more troublesome public housing tenants on society.
What they need to do is start telling people who refuse to live within the norms of society that their behaviour is unacceptable and if they act a certain way, or damage property, that they'll need to deal with the consequences, even if they means living under a bridge.

I lived next to a housing commission home once, it must have cost them a mint in maintenance and repairs because of the damage they kept doing to it, even the flyscreens which were replaced every other month because they just hopped in and out of the windows. No real consequences for their actions at all.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 21 Jan 2018, 19:27

Disco wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 18:55
I'm a racist.

That's what they hear when you try to say that.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

storm84

Post by storm84 » 21 Jan 2018, 19:32

Society really hasn't devised a good way to deal with non-criminal antisocial behaviour, other than trying to set conditions that minimise its frequency and impact. (Intervention in education, social workers, integration in the community, etc.) Usually by the time were talking about adults with families, it's too late to make any meaningful change in the way they live.

Also, not sure what would be accomplished by throwing people out on the street, as that isn't a way to educate people how to better behave. Can imagine it would exacerbate the problem tbh.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 21 Jan 2018, 19:41

Nekosan wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 19:27
Disco wrote:
I'm a racist.

That's what they hear when you try to say that.
Pretty much yeah.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mini

Post by Mini » 21 Jan 2018, 20:02

I have family who are living in housing commission now, currently they are happy because the troublesome neighbour left.
But they have some great stories to tell of random things happening.

Also their neighbour has 3 Subaru Liberties (2 blue and 1 black) but only 1 set of plates, they change car frequently...

Problem they now have though, is that because they have lived in housing commission, they struggle to even get a look in with other rentals. People see that on their history and just throw their application aside
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Jan 2018, 20:38

Disco wrote:
I lived next to a housing commission home once, it must have cost them a mint in maintenance and repairs because of the damage they kept doing to it, even the flyscreens which were replaced every other month because they just hopped in and out of the windows. No real consequences for their actions at all.
They share some of that cost with the poor suckers in the body corporate if one exists. Well, that's my experience anyway.

Some days I wish that the media would hold governments accountable to the social housing mess that's been created (I just saw The Post on Friday night).
Mini wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 20:02
Problem they now have though, is that because they have lived in housing commission, they struggle to even get a look in with other rentals. People see that on their history and just throw their application aside
This is where I believe public housing has been used as a dumping ground for trouble makers as opposed to a means to help people who've fallen on hard times but have the means to get themselves back to being self sufficient. If public housing was used for the latter only, over time and the right information programs, society would come to accept it. I for one wouldn't look past a prospective tenant if they were earning enough to support themselves even if they had been in public housing in the past. People who put in effort to get ahead should be rewarded.

The trouble makers need to go somewhere else where they can get proper help/rehabilitation before being integrated into society. We had mentally ill peeps in the public housing unit next to mine and all I saw was that they were isolated and got worse over time.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 21 Jan 2018, 20:49

The "somewhere else" is always the contention. Where is that, exactly? Public housing is in many ways our last ditch attempt to provide social support and give those people some sort of lifeline when they have fallen through the cracks.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 21 Jan 2018, 21:03

The neighbours I lived next door to had zero intention of ever living in anything that wasn't housing commission.. I still remember the police turning up one morning to ask why her kids weren't in school, and amongst all the swearing and screaming, I distinctly remember..

"MY KIDS AINT GOING TO NO ******* WHITE MAN SCHOOL TO LEARN THEIR ******* WHITE **** LIES SO **** OFF"... or words to that effect. Those kids had no chance.

Edit to add: I dunno, I think my experiences are less of the .. "those poor people", and more of the "they reap what they sew" kind.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Jan 2018, 21:19

I agree that the "somewhere else" is a contentious issue. But atm I only see a lose-lose situation. The trouble makers don't get the support they need and the surrounding residents who are trying do their part in society are having their home life turn to shit. We've had everything from domestic violence and loud parties echoing through the complex and all surrounding properties when people are meant to be asleep to drunks standing in the common area naked and exposed for families to see to parents letting their children run amok and turning the common area into a dump. I lived at my last complex for 7yrs and I can only count 5-6yrs where I wasn't fighting the troublesome tenants.

The politicians only sell the good news stories about the non-troublemakers that they've helped and side step the issue of all the households the troublemakers impact on.

There simply has to be a better way than what is currently happening and until the majority of society start expecting a better way of handling the situation where a win-win can be achieved, we're never going to get there.

As for my experiences on the "poor people" vs "they reap what they sew" kind of tenants, it was about half/half. Some were just there to rot away and didn't give a shit. Others said that they aspired to change for the better but they their actions showed that they just wanted to go back to doing what they always have done and the talk was simply just talk to pep up their self esteem.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 21 Jan 2018, 22:03

One thing that gives me pause is that we are all products of our circumstances. We can't help our genes, nor the socio-economic situation in which we grew up. We know the crippling effects of poverty and its long reach through our lives and beyond. We know the effects of chronic stress on children, and the perpetuation of factors like domestic violence. So I'm really not sure how to take a "reap what they sow" attitude when really there's so little choice in any of it.

And therein lies the political struggle. We all agree that the behaviour is both unacceptable and problematic. We agree something souls be done about it. The way we presently deal with it is to complain when it's in our backyard and wish it to be someone else's problem. Becausethere really is no "somewhere else" except in the relative sense.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Jan 2018, 22:52

I agree that as a society, that's the general attitude. On a personal note, after going through all that I've gone through, I don't wish for it to be anyone's problem... at least not around their homes and families. The majority of society aren't trained or equipped to deal with the issues that pop up.

I think the matters need to be addressed based on the issue at hand and the 3 general reasons for use of public housing (that I know of) are:

1. For supporting the mentally ill.
2. For supporting women escaping domestic violence.
3. For supporting those who've fallen on hard times outside of the previous two reasons.

Each one of these will need to be addressed in a different way.

The problem with Australian solutions IMHO is that we just focus on finding dwellings instead of creating public housing communities where incidents are not only contained but can be properly addressed/supported. Individual dwellings are things we churn out like clock work so it's easy. Creating complexes where a relatively self contained community can thrive is something we've not gotten our heads around unlike Asian countries like South Korea. I think there are learnings to be be had from else where in the world that can be applied to Australia. Of course, this would be a more costly solution which doesn't get votes so we just keep living with the same substandard, non-innovative "solutions".
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 21 Jan 2018, 23:20

I think you've hit upon why it's a difficult issue politically. It's largely a social problem, but it's really cast in terms of individuals when we try to think about the problem. We're not good intuitive sociologists in the same way as we are intuitive psychologists, and that makes it difficult politically to have meaningful change for the better.

Honestly the way to deal with it on a personal level is the same way to deal with most the shit that happens in the world. Get as far away from it as possible and try not to think about it too much. Maybe that's overtly cynical, but realistically-speaking, what else is there one can do?
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Jan 2018, 23:44

Yeah, I agree that the only way to deal with it on a personal level is to get far away from it as possible. It's what drove me to save hard to buy that next property... and I went to great lengths to check for public housing around the new place before signing a contract.

But it's unfortunately becoming harder to get away from public housing. Government's strategy atm (at least in QLD; not sure about the other states) is to spread it out rather than concentrate the public housing in one area. There's no guarantee that the government won't buy up the property next to you and make it public housing.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mini

Post by Mini » 22 Jan 2018, 01:14

That is standard in Vic too... makes for less pockets of all the bad and spreads it around.
When I am looking for a new house to buy I will be speaking to a friend about the areas to avoid.
But as you said, it isn't always possible to maintain that.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 Jan 2018, 07:37

Did anyone see the TV miniseries Show Me A Hero? That spreading out of public housing throughout the community has a positive effect for those in poverty, whereas concentrated public housing tends to exacerbate the problems associated with entrenched poverty.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 24 Jan 2018, 15:06

Just read another one of those "you know, you don't *have* to binge drink" articles where the author is gobsmacked that people still binge drink despite the known ling term health risks. Il given the long history of advertising the health consequences of nine drinking, these articles are equivalent to op-eds that excess the incredulity people smoke *despite* there being all this science that says cigarette smoking has negative health consequences.

When I read these articles, I wonder who they're written for. I don't think there's a single person who reads them and decides to refrain from binge drinking as if they've never realised they had a choice.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 24 Jan 2018, 17:15

They write them for the people who already don't drink / don't smoke. It's preaching to the converted and makes them feel happy and morally superior that they made the right choice.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 24 Jan 2018, 17:22

And they forget it's us drinkers and smokers who fund the medical sector because the government wont :P

So I'll have my new lungs and kidneys please. I've paid for them.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 24 Jan 2018, 17:37

I think they object to the boorishness of it more than anything. It's an offence to bourgeois sensibilities to partake in such vulgar behaviour willingly.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 24 Jan 2018, 18:06

storm84 wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 07:37
Did anyone see the TV miniseries Show Me A Hero? That spreading out of public housing throughout the community has a positive effect for those in poverty, whereas concentrated public housing tends to exacerbate the problems associated with entrenched poverty.
That's interesting, I didn't watch it - but I grew up in a town that had concentrated public housing that was terrible, the kind of place where the Police have a 'no pursuit policy' and only enter in force, like that ghetto from Training Day. AU Post wouldn't deliver, Ambulances/Firies wouldn't attend, and sure as hell no pizza delivery.

This was great for the rest of the community however, because all the drop kicks were in one spot and didn't cause too much trouble. Then they had that bright idea, broke up the estate and bought housing comission homes all through town in good areas. All it did was cause problems for the other owners when those tennants bought their problems with them, housing prices went down, people were stuck with disgusting people as neighbours, it was a nightmare for some of them, and having lived next door to one, I wouldn't want to do it again.

That being said, sticking a bunch of poor people together is a terrible, terrible idea - but hey I don't know what the solution is.
0 x
Nekosan wrote: