Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Mugsy

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by Mugsy » 09 Feb 2018, 23:52

Had the perfect end to a shitty week... my car battery decided to die for good just as I pulled out of the garage. RACQ got me back into the garage at least but the guy didn't have the right battery so I'll need to get someone out tomorrow.

Worst part is all this battery acid has started eroding away inside the car which the servicing guys two weeks ago did NOT tell me about. Don't think I'll be going back to that place to get my car serviced in the future.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Feb 2018, 11:29

New battery installed now. Ended up calling Marshalls out. They said that the previous battery was a smaller capacity one to what they normally install which might explain how the previous battery has been over worked and had a fuel cell rupture after 3-4yrs. Lets see how this new one goes.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Feb 2018, 17:55

And now my net is down. Lovely.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 10 Feb 2018, 18:14

Things are definitely not coming up Milhouse this week.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Feb 2018, 21:19

No they aren't.

Lost support Barbarian in D3 when that DC hit :(
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 11 Feb 2018, 19:47

Wild storms are hitting Brisbane right now but the weather apps keeps telling me that there are "clear skies"....
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Feb 2018, 19:56

Tell me about it. I had dinner at 4:30pm so I'd be OK to swim from 6pm onwards when there's less people competing for use of the pool.

Storm foiled my plans.

In hindsight I should have gone out to the pool when the chicks in the complex were sunbathing... but then you'd probably see me as the new poster boy for #MeToo.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 11 Feb 2018, 21:30

Can't control yourself around sunbathing chicks?
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 11 Feb 2018, 21:31

Our kitty-cat Lolly has been with us for over 9 years... she was our first child. She's staying overnight at the hospital tonight and we find out she has kidney stones in both kidneys... operation sounds high-risk with low quality of life. Apparently this is actually super-rare for a cat, even rarer to appear in both. Other than that she's in good health.

We're both unable to speak right now, we can both remember the day we picked her up from the RSPCA as a kitten. She's an indoors cat too so we've had lap-snuggles every night of her existence pretty much.

We'll hear from the vet again tomorrow with our options, she had to do some consulting first.

If we do decide to let Lolly have a sleep, I'm going to have to explain it to my eldest (5) too... he's already upset tonight that she's not at home.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 11 Feb 2018, 21:43

I'm sorry Mellie, thats a tough spot to be in :(

As for me, not happy tomorrow is Monday but glad that I can see the physio and get my knee looked at, hopefully start some treatment towards getting it fixed so I can get back into my lifting properly.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Feb 2018, 22:32

storm84 wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 21:30
Can't control yourself around sunbathing chicks?
My bottle of sunscreen is always ready 8)

All jokes aside, I usually keep to myself but in the current environment, it feels like any out of shape man would get blamed for sexual harassment for just looking in the general direction of an attractive woman if that woman didn't want that man around them. Not that I'm saying every sexual harassment case brought up is wrong.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Feb 2018, 22:33

Disco wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 21:43
but glad that I can see the physio and get my knee looked at, hopefully start some treatment towards getting it fixed so I can get back into my lifting properly.
Hope you get it sorted mate.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Feb 2018, 07:10

The internet was OK for the first half of yesterday and then it went to shits (just as my ISP tech support closed for the day).

I better call them up today...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 12 Feb 2018, 11:57

Mugsy wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 22:33

Hope you get it sorted mate.
Me too! Sounds pretty straightforward, seems to have started with a quadriceps strain and developed into Medial Patella Subluxation - something that should be relatively easy to fix with some exercises using a band and some strapping. Starting off in the treatment plan with working on reducing swelling in the joint and a hamstring stretch program and a glute strengthening program, then moving on to strengthening the lower quad.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Feb 2018, 22:42

After speaking to tech support today and being assured that power cycling my modem will get me much better speeds, this is what it is now:

Better... (technically) yes, acceptable, SHIT NO!
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 12 Feb 2018, 23:08

Mugsy wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 22:42
After speaking to tech support today and being assured that power cycling my modem will get me much better speeds, this is what it is now:

Better... (technically) yes, acceptable, SHIT NO!
Look on the bright side... 9% of Australia is worse off then you and you're speed is faster.. which I'm sure that is how your ISP will try and sell it to you. :dodgy:
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 13 Feb 2018, 19:41

Bicketybam wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 23:08
Look on the bright side... 9% of Australia is worse off then you and you're speed is faster.. which I'm sure that is how your ISP will try and sell it to you. :dodgy:
12% are worse off than I am now - hehe

I had comms with 3 techs today... first one couldn't do the line isolation testing they needed to with me as I was on my way to work already, second was via email to arrange a callback, third one was when I just called them back when I was free and managed to do the line isolation test.

Guess what?

They found that my connection was dropping in and out, and it seems to be a line fault. I really wish the first tech had just told me that they needed to do this test and that I would need to be at home for them to do it instead of putting it down to user error and having too many background apps using my bandwidth. Wouldn't have gone on the following rant on whingepool otherwise...

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-r ... ?t=2704693

Part of me is wishing I had just called up tech support on Sunday morning when I was at home... the improvement in speed kinda threw me off but they would have had Telstra out checking the lines 2 days earlier.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 13 Feb 2018, 19:53

I think putting it down to user error is a reasonable hypothesis in most cases. Because, to be fair, most of the time it is, and it's a far quicker and easier problem to solve than the interventions they would need to do. Would wager the vast majority of complaints are solved this way.

Still sucks to have to go through all that before getting real support, even if it makes sense from a problem-solving perspective.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 13 Feb 2018, 20:20

I can see your point, though, the argument I'd have is that I had provided a pretty extensive lowdown of testing I had done in my online support submission going over testing with different cables, my laptop instead of PC, a different phone port in the home, and commented on the modem being the only thing I didn't have a spare of to isolate that component. I had even run a speedtest and was probably just short of providing upstream/downstream data from the modem.

If I was in their shoes and was presented all of this, I'd probably re-evaluate any assumption that it could be user error as the user would seem to have an idea of how to troubleshoot these things.

In fact, I went to all the trouble of doing the testing first to save them and myself time when I now just wonder why I should bother in the future when I still have to go through all the motions and being treated as ignorant.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 13 Feb 2018, 20:37

I remember once being on the phone to Telstra because my Mum's connection was playing up. Everything they asked me to do I had already done. I protested "I've done that already", yet they made me do it again. Unsurprisingly none of it worked. And, unsurprisingly, I was very unimpressed that I had to go through it like they were talking to a complete idiot.

It does give a dim view of the company, in the sense that it's a really poor user experience. But I always try to remember that people tend to overestimate their abilities, and tend to be bad at problem solving outside of their area of expertise. So for every person who knows what they are doing, I'd wager there are 5 people who claim that but have failed on a rudimentary step and can have their problems solved by going through the motions.

We are in a world where everything is a numbers game. Companies talk of how they can improve their user experience, and inevitably that means better service, but they are businesses with bottom lines to maintain. So scripts that diagnose 90% of problems and staff with no domain knowledge is what we get. And it's really fucking stupid, but so are most people (myself included).
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 13 Feb 2018, 20:52

Last time Internode tried to get me to go through the troubleshooting process it was the third time in as many weeks (reoccurring issue that got "fixed" both times after a tech was dispatched). I told them I was fed up with it and could I just please get to the part where they sent a tech out and I accept responsibility for not doing the troubleshooting first. Old mate actually listened to me and did it. Which was nice.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 13 Feb 2018, 22:21

Problem is 90% of the first-line staff you get on the support lines are script-monkeys and you have to keep throwing bananas to get to the gorillas in charge.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 13 Feb 2018, 22:38

Yurtles wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 20:52
Last time Internode tried to get me to go through the troubleshooting process it was the third time in as many weeks (reoccurring issue that got "fixed" both times after a tech was dispatched). I told them I was fed up with it and could I just please get to the part where they sent a tech out and I accept responsibility for not doing the troubleshooting first. Old mate actually listened to me and did it. Which was nice.
Last few times ive tried to get through was like a 3 hour wait. Now i just call the billing line and play dumb.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 14 Feb 2018, 02:35

When I did tech support the 2nd worst people were those who thought they knew what they were doing. Unless you already know they are competent, it's best to go through all the tests anyway.
Whoever you call doesn't know you, so just run through their script (and actually do whatever provided it's not insane) quickly so you can get to the next step. Think of it as a mandatory tutorial level in Call of Duty or whatever :)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Feb 2018, 08:02

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 02:35
When I did tech support the 2nd worst people were those who thought they knew what they were doing. Unless you already know they are competent, it's best to go through all the tests anyway.
That's a fair enough point that they can't distinguish (at least not quickly) those who just think they know what they're doing but really don't, and those that genuinely know how to troubleshoot these matters.

In my case, I still believe the ISP has got some work with their process/tech staff seeing how the first one came to a conclusion/recommendation that was completely wrong. They could have been more thorough with understanding my PC at the time of the speedtest to help rule out a game client downloading in the background and explaining what needs to be done next if the problem persisted. I would have made sure that I was in a position to undertake further testing (as opposed to being on the train to work with the understanding that all testing had been done already).
0 x
CherryRed wrote: