Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Mini

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by Mini » 23 Apr 2019, 11:10

So after buying a new RC car last week I have already broken it... now off to the shop again to buy the replacement part.
I may have crashed it harder than I thought, as one of the front suspension arms has broken and come out of its mounting. Seems to be all holding together fine, just the wheels aren't quite in alignment anymore.

I will say though that electric RC cars are insane these days... 80kmh out of an electric car that is less than a metre long is bonkers!

Ahh the fun of hobbies...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 23 Apr 2019, 18:53

Disco wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 07:53
We can't get Crossbows in NSW :/ Do you need a licence there Sath?
Sorry I didn't see this reply till now... nah mate, don't need a license here, unless it's been changed recently. Back when I used to do field archery I'd see guys using them up at Archery Park but the laws got stricter and the owner couldn't get them covered by her insurance anymore. However you can just walk into an archery shop and buy them afaik.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 23 Apr 2019, 23:56

Jeez i was just looking through the laws, seems like Qld are the only ones who really looked at the issue before making a decision... Vic went the total opposite way to everyone else and just seem to give absolutely no fuks at all.

It really interests me that bow hunting is legal, yet more humane crossbow hunting isnt, go figure.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Disco

Post by Disco » 24 Apr 2019, 12:43

Sathias wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 18:53
Disco wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 07:53
We can't get Crossbows in NSW :/ Do you need a licence there Sath?
Sorry I didn't see this reply till now... nah mate, don't need a license here, unless it's been changed recently. Back when I used to do field archery I'd see guys using them up at Archery Park but the laws got stricter and the owner couldn't get them covered by her insurance anymore. However you can just walk into an archery shop and buy them afaik.
I wonder what the closest Archery shop to here is :D Nevermind, you need a permit.
Nekosan wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 23:56
Jeez i was just looking through the laws, seems like Qld are the only ones who really looked at the issue before making a decision... Vic went the total opposite way to everyone else and just seem to give absolutely no fuks at all.

It really interests me that bow hunting is legal, yet more humane crossbow hunting isnt, go figure.
NSW's Crossbow laws are FUBAR, unless they've changed it reads that you can only own/use a Crossbow at an approved Crossbow range (there are none), with a Police Commissioners Permit (yeah, sure, that's possible).
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 29 Apr 2019, 12:44

Anyone here a government worker and know where I can find an accurate breakdown/description of what a Clerk Grade 3/4 is?

Most stuff I've been able to find on google seems a little outdated.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mini

Post by Mini » 29 Apr 2019, 13:14

Haha, every government department has a different definition of that.
I'm not "government" enough to help though, water corps are technically "private" with government loans, so our grades are slightly different
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 29 Apr 2019, 21:42

What Mini said.

In QLD, we have a Capability and Leadership Framework that details the expected performance attributes for each classification level. I'm guessing you're looking at the NSW Gov Cherry. If so, this looks to be their equivalent:

https://www.psc.nsw.gov.au/workforce-ma ... -framework
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 29 Apr 2019, 22:00

Incidentally, I had a family dinner tonight to celebrate my cousin's first child. Another cousin who I hadn't seen in about 16yrs+... she's 19 now and at Uni and boy is she super assertive and talkative. She was keen to find out how to get work in a government department... I think I've got more mentoring to do on this front.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 30 Apr 2019, 12:06

Thanks Mugsy, that link seems to have the info I'm after - considering applying for a Client Services role at the Court House, it just says it's Clerk Grade 3/4 but doesn't go into further details of what that really means. I'm having a few issues where I am and think that it may be best for me to consider moving on, getting a bit tired of being made feel that I shouldn't be accessing my leave entitlements etc... it would also be nice to have a job that I can go home from, without the need to be on call every night during the week and up to 3 weekends each month and a job where there's more than two employees.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 30 Apr 2019, 23:32

No probs Cherry. A few other pointers I can think of (you may know some of these but I thought I'd list it just in case)...

If NSW recruitment practices is similar to QLD, for each of the selection criteria (or capabilities) in the position description you'll need to give an example of how you satisfy that capability. Use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to answer them. If there's a 'Duties' section, it's a good idea to group the duties under the relevant selection criteria/capability you think it falls under. This will help you identify examples from your work history that would be suitable for answering that selection criteria/capability.

I also suggest calling up the contact on the PD and asking a few questions so that you know your application is addressing what they're after. It's also useful to get your name in the panel chair's head... helps with getting shortlisted as they'll likely spend more time looking at your application as they'll be intrigued with how you measure up following the phone call (assuming you make a good impression).

Use Arial, font size 11, preferably 12 if you have the space on paper to spare. Any font that's a bit more fancy looking (even Times New Roman) can be straining on the eyes by the time they read the 10th application. That's what's advised at job application training and also coming from experience with being on a selection panel last year. Sounds trivial but you'd be surprised how the little things add up sometimes.

Good luck with the application!
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 30 Apr 2019, 23:38

CherryRed wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 12:06
I'm having a few issues where I am and think that it may be best for me to consider moving on, getting a bit tired of being made feel that I shouldn't be accessing my leave entitlements etc... it would also be nice to have a job that I can go home from, without the need to be on call every night during the week and up to 3 weekends each month and a job where there's more than two employees.
Sorry to hear that but from our past discussions, it sounds like you've more than given them your all. Definitely wouldn't hurt to get a job where taking leave isn't going to cause any dramas.

That's not to say that the government job won't come with its own dramas... but as my bro has come to realise, there's drama everywhere one can work. May as well work where the benefits are the best if that's the case.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 May 2019, 10:52

Finally trying that damn Hellfire burger.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 03 May 2019, 11:12

I still utterly despise iTunes, spent the last little while trying to figure out how to upload a PDF via iTunes (wasn't too complicated in the end, but I had to spend ages updating iTunes).

Still not sure why they just wont adopt a drag and drop type accessibility that every tablet other than an iPad has, rather than trying to force me to use their terribly program.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 03 May 2019, 13:47

I'd imagine the answer is that if you let the users do what they want, some users would break it bad and Apple would have a harder time fixing it. Locking it down is kind of smart for particular kinds of users (the ones with the illusion of competence), though it's frustrating for the rest of us.

Back when I used to have an iPod, I was able to use it as an external HDD (as a student this was part of the appeal at the time). So going backwards must have been a conscious choice at some point.

(Incedently, this is why I tell my partner I won't do tech support if she ever got an iPhone / iPad / MacBook. Android and Windows are workable, while every experience of using someone else's Apple product has been an impenetrable nightmare)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 May 2019, 16:13

I just stick to non-Apple products. Never liked how locked down their products are.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 May 2019, 16:43

I've been summoned for jury duty. I was wondering how long it would take for them to pick me!

I'm tempted to see if this actually works...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

ChainsawMcP

Post by ChainsawMcP » 04 May 2019, 20:05

CherryRed wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 12:06
Thanks Mugsy, that link seems to have the info I'm after - considering applying for a Client Services role at the Court House,
Mugsy's advice on applications is good

I'd just add that if a selection criteria asks you to "Demonstrate" something - you need to provide an example that actually demonstrates

Demonstrated experience in mountain climbing

"I climbed Everest" - is a claim, but there is no demonstration that you have experience
A few short sentences about the mountain you chose, the planning and training you had to do, the permits you needed to obtain and THEN "I climbed Everest" is a demonstration of experience

These are some bullet points I put together for a presentation to my team about making applications easier for the panel (before I left...)

Ideally, I want my job to be easy
Each Selection Criteria separately addressed – listed by number, with the Criteria you are addressing as a header. This also works as a prompt for you, regarding the information you are trying to cover in each response
A clear example or demonstration - that you did something, how you did it, what the result was
Short punchy sentences/paragraphs – I don’t want to have to read the same text three times to see if you have delivered an example I can assess
Don’t compress your font, or shrink your margins – throw words out instead – it will make for a more dynamic document
Don’t think that “one page” or “no more than two pages” means you can cram huge amounts of text onto a page (or use A3)
White space makes it easier for the reader to keep track of where they are – and find something if they need to refer back
Put your name, the position number, etc into a header or footer – if the panel needs to flip back and forth in a big bulky folder to do comparatives, those details make the job easier
Check a printed version of your doc – it might look different. Panels sometimes work from the printed version
Name your files sensibly, so that it is easy to see which file is which and has your name
Consider providing a PDF or “washing” your doc if you are at all concerned about somebody bothering to look at tracked changes
Mugsy wrote:
03 May 2019, 16:43
I've been summoned for jury duty. I was wondering how long it would take for them to pick me!
Nerdy nitpick... that would be Summonsed rather than summoned

I'd be happy to serve on a jury... but I was exempted about 30 years ago when I worked with the courts and never had that exemption removed... Maybe I should do something about that - give me something to do now I'm retired
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 May 2019, 17:38

ChainsawMcP wrote:
04 May 2019, 20:05
I'd just add that if a selection criteria asks you to "Demonstrate" something - you need to provide an example that actually demonstrates
Chainsaw's advice here is really important. I remember being given this advice when I was going for AO4 and AO5 level positions back in the day. These days, all my job apps ask for me to demonstrate the required capabilities so I subconsciously write to demonstrate things naturally.

It should be noted that if you can demonstrate that capability even when they don't ask for it, it usually puts you ahead of the pack... but it's a double edged sword if what you demonstrate doesn't gel with how that team functions. Under those situations, I tend to look at it that I wasn't meant to work in that environment anyway but that's just me.
ChainsawMcP wrote:
04 May 2019, 20:05
I'd be happy to serve on a jury... but I was exempted about 30 years ago when I worked with the courts and never had that exemption removed... Maybe I should do something about that - give me something to do now I'm retired
LOL. Jury duty does sound like something to keep retirees engaged. With all that life experience, you'd be able to add value for sure.

I spoke to my workplace about this and seeing how I work in the public service, it's kinda given that we should support jury duty (though, with all the body corp stuff I'm doing RE building defects, I really would prefer to have done this later in the year). We'll see if I get called in.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 09 May 2019, 15:43

Jury Duty.. they can stick that where the sun doesn't shine, I'll do it when they start giving out reasonable punishments.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 09 May 2019, 18:01

At the risk of starting the crazy debate again, what would you define as "reasonable"? :dance:
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 09 May 2019, 18:22

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:
09 May 2019, 18:01
At the risk of starting the crazy debate again, what would you define as "reasonable"? :dance:
If Cherry's signature is any indication, I personally think having what they did to the victim done to them would be fitting but that's only if the person was definitely guilty which I think is the point you're getting at. In which case, maybe a guitar jammed up their arse would be reasonable :lol:
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 May 2019, 15:12

Went out exploring the girlfriends neighborhood. The local shopping center is meant to have a kebab shop. Couldn't find it so bought a $5 lunch box with skewers and potato gems from the butchers instead. When driving out i saw the kebab shop... It's at a separate building with nandos, maccas, etc. And i was deliberately avoiding maccas for lunch too. Fuck me.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 11 May 2019, 18:55

How does anyone actually make a choice when buying a laptop? I've been looking at buying my first and the variety (along with their related issues) is driving me around the bend.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

ChainsawMcP

Post by ChainsawMcP » 12 May 2019, 23:03

Yurtles wrote:
11 May 2019, 18:55
How does anyone actually make a choice when buying a laptop? I've been looking at buying my first and the variety (along with their related issues) is driving me around the bend.
Having made a small but annoying mistake a couple of years back...

Set a price point FIRST
Read a few review sites - immediately forget everything they said
Write a list with all the features* that you have to have, and the ones you REALLY want - leave nothing out and assume nothing
(I stupidly didn't even think about Bluetooth because of course ALL laptops have Bluetooth nowadays - well mine didn't - so I lost a USB port to a dongle)
Then decide whether branding is important to you... and how important
Consider whether this laptop needs to be "futureproof" - or only needs to last a short while (Mine is still capable of holding its own against current models)
Read some more review sites - remember some of what they say

Do NOT look at the great new technology that is being released in a few weeks - because while you wait for it another new one will appear on the horizon

Start looking at models at your price point and work DOWN ('Cos you'll come back up later guaranteed)

When you do buy something, immediately stop looking at review sites for anything other than the model you have.

* Features include but are not limited to...
Processor - AMD v Intel - what spec
SSD v Harddrive - capacity
Graphics capability
Inputs and outputs (Ethernet, Wifi, Bluetooth, VGA, HDMI, DP, USB 3/2 and number of ports ... ...)
Screen size
Battery life
Tablet/Book/Full laptop

Want to buy a slightly used but still capable laptop? No onboard Bluetooth...
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 May 2019, 23:32

I usually have a think through what I need the laptop to do to determine how critical the specs are. Some examples:

For gaming, I first set price point, then figure out what specs I can get at that price and if it will run the games I play. Screen size is usually around 15.6" and battery life is usually so-so.

For work/study and lugging around frequent, I set price point and then things like size (13" ideal for this), weight, battery life, boot up time, connectivity, OS, storage capacity, etc is more important.

I'd add that I have a netbook/tablet... cost me $400 but it runs Office well and also has a 250Gb HDD built into the keyboard tray. Does exactly what I need from a Windows tablet.
0 x
CherryRed wrote: