Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

brimlad

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by brimlad » 25 Jun 2018, 09:43

storm84 wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 13:32
brimlad wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 10:36
Thankfully we're on the VDSL2 network (old tranasct network) which is a separate cable so we don't have to switch to the NBN and can enjoy 60mps rather than the 6mps the NBN is offering.
I was curious so that's why I rang Internode to see what the NBN could deliver for us... pointless :(
I like that a year ago when NBN was about to be rolled out in my suburb that iiNet wrote to me to assure me that the VDSL2+ network I'm on will be better than the NBN. I can't even understand why the NBN is bothering to roll out anything when the old Transact network is superior.
It is odd but I'm great-full they aren't rolling everyone onto the transact cable as that should keep vdsl2 network free of congestion. I think it costs about $250 to connect to the vdsl2 network if your house isn't wired up so the option is there if you want the extra speed but I'm guessing most won't.

I think NBN just went the cheap option rather than buying out the transact network but the improvements to the existing adsl2 network seem pointless.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 29 Jun 2018, 22:27

Oh dear... I'm in that position again where none of my camera bags are either too big or too small to hold the new camera on it's own.

So, I'm on the hunt for a new bag.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 30 Jun 2018, 09:03

so last day before GST on steam :(
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 01 Jul 2018, 01:48

Well... we're officially into July. The new financial year. I'm sure everyone knows what this means, where ever you are they should have finished all the last minute road works that they had to get completed by the end of the last financial year so as to be able to get more funding for next year...

0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 01 Jul 2018, 09:10

Oh man, our road works projects here are years overdue and millions over budget, so no real rush for them I guess
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 01 Jul 2018, 10:32

There's stuff west of the Great Dividing Range?!

:lol:
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

ChainsawMcP

Post by ChainsawMcP » 01 Jul 2018, 13:32

brimlad wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 09:43
It is odd but I'm great-full they aren't rolling everyone onto the transact cable as that should keep vdsl2 network free of congestion. I think it costs about $250 to connect to the vdsl2 network if your house isn't wired up so the option is there if you want the extra speed but I'm guessing most won't.

I think NBN just went the cheap option rather than buying out the transact network but the improvements to the existing adsl2 network seem pointless.
We rolled on to NBN FTTN end of March - I sync at 104Mb - which equates to around 90~95mB download - (for some reason I only get 30Mb upload speed which "should" be around 40Mb for that sort of connection) - YIPPEE! Hooray! etc

Had my name on the wait list for years - was activated on the first day they made it available - the tech said I was the second connection he had made

A month of solid connection at 104Mb sync - and then things change - it starts to drift down to 80Mb over a few days - restart and it goes back to 104Mb, and we start all over again

80Mb is still fast enough - even with two teenagers and the wife using the network while I'm gaming - but it annoys me that they* chose not to go with the better FTTP for purely ideological reasons - and even when they put in place a system that could be OK - still manage to f@©k it over instead of doing the half-arse solution the best they possibly can

*"They" being a certain punch drunk former PM with brain injuries from boxing (or at least that's my theory to explain his speech patterns)
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 01 Jul 2018, 14:18

Still over 2x faster than my FTTN
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 01 Jul 2018, 14:55

I still have two more years of nakedDSL at the very least. Current plan is that it'll be FTTC.

I just want a working connection. Speed wise, I'm happy with 1-1.5Mb/s downloads so if the lowest speed connection can hit that and not cost me anymore per month for an internet connection with 500Gb quota, I'll be OK. I really don't need that lightning fast connection and unlimited data... reliability will do me.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

ChainsawMcP

Post by ChainsawMcP » 01 Jul 2018, 16:46

Disco wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 14:18
Still over 2x faster than my FTTN
Don't get me wrong - this is a damn good connection - I'm only a few hundred metres from the "node" - and because of the vagaries of pricing on plans, and whose equipment they are delivered over, I went from 400Gb a month at 18Mb speeds - to unlimited data at 80~95Mb speeds for $10 a month more - but no longer pay $30 a month for a phone line - so $20 a month less for way better

I'm definitely not whinging about that...

It could/should have happened sooner, faster, cheaper - that was what the Liberal slogan promised (so you know it had to be untrue) - and there are still people out there with NBN connections that are worse than my previous ADSL2 connection was... (and I feel sorry for them)

I just find it astonishing that in the capital city of a supposedly first world nation they couldn't deliver robust internet speeds in a timely manner to all the residents
In the last 20 years I've lived in two houses in this suburb
First I had a dial up modem
ADSL arrived and we waited and waited (two years) for it to become available - 512K - and then up to 1.5Mb
Moved house - sorry no capacity - fortunately the ISP backed up their ADSL accounts with dial up access
18 months later - we have capacity - but you are still restricted to 1.5Mb
Over the next few years we descend in to evening congestion hell - pings stretching out to 1500ms (1500 - not a typo) to Adelaide - basically unusable for gaming or anything time sensitive most nights
They finally upgrade the backhaul and we get nice solid connections
People less than a kilometre in most directions get ADSL2 and some even get fibre - others get no fixed line service at all, with Telstra providing them with a mobile service at fixed line rates
Eighteen or so months later we get the artificial restrictions on ADSL speeds removed - my connection now gets the 8Mb that it should have been capable of for years
A few more years and I finally get ADSL2 - nice, solid, stable - but because it has to be delivered across Telstra equipment - I still have to have a phone line at $30 a month - and the ISP isn't able to offer their cheapest plans
2018 NBN arrives - four years after originally scheduled (between 2010 and 2013 it was scheduled to be delivered in 2014 - but something happened in 2013 that changed all that... ...)

I'm not the worst affected - there are still plenty of people worse off than me - but at every step of the way it could/should have been done better - and probably would have if Telstra hadn't been privatised - they'd have seen (and cared about) good long term economic reasons to upgrade the entire network to fibre instead of leaving copper to rot and saving a few pennies for the shareholders... they'd have had a network in place and we wouldn't have needed a new Gov't entity - Telstra would have just provided the backbone as an essential service

OK - rant over... I feel a little bit calmer...
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 02 Jul 2018, 22:34

Didn't end up getting that job in the Gulf. Finally got home again from the trip tonight.

Partly because they've had a few problems on their end setting everything up (so there's not an entire fulltime job to do and no clear indication when there will be), but it was a bit my fault as well. Really put my foot down about work hours. They gave a strong impression of wanting someone who'd work like a farmer - sun up to sun down or until whenever the work finally gets done. They seemed quite miffed about me not being keen on that.

Good luck to them finding someone willing to live in isolation, work stupid hours and who possesses the skillset required. They're going to need a whole lot of it.

But it was a hell of an experience regardless. After visiting a few cattle stations North of Cloncurry to assess potential sites we drove from Mount Isa across to Townsville (Over 1200km all up), where I spent a few days by myself just seeing the sights. Flights, accommodation and (apart from the last 2 days) food all paid for.

If every job I didn't get came with perks like that I'm pretty sure I'd be unemployed for life.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 02 Jul 2018, 23:55

Yurtles wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 22:34
we drove from Mount Isa across to Townsville (Over 1200km all up)
The Flinders Hwy is a hell of a drive isn't it? I did that drive about 7yrs back to inspect industrial estates in the region.

Some sections were so flat which ever direction you look. I remember looking left and right and seeing rain coming down to either side but we were in a dry, sunny patch. Was a weird experience that.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mini

Post by Mini » 03 Jul 2018, 09:04

Wow, the brawl in the Aussies Vs Philippines basketball game... a few players might be ejected for a few games I think.
Also who throws a chair at another player...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

storm84

Post by storm84 » 03 Jul 2018, 09:17

Feels a bit sucky though that the game is forced to be abandoned rather than a win for Australia given the Philippines were behind and fouled themselves out of the game.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 03 Jul 2018, 09:58

Mugsy wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 23:55
Yurtles wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 22:34
we drove from Mount Isa across to Townsville (Over 1200km all up)
The Flinders Hwy is a hell of a drive isn't it? I did that drive about 7yrs back to inspect industrial estates in the region.

Some sections were so flat which ever direction you look. I remember looking left and right and seeing rain coming down to either side but we were in a dry, sunny patch. Was a weird experience that.
Yeah it was something else. Big contrasts.
Going from this near Mt Isa
To this for 100s of kms
To finally getting nearer the coast and this
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 03 Jul 2018, 10:39

storm84 wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 09:17
Feels a bit sucky though that the game is forced to be abandoned rather than a win for Australia given the Philippines were behind and fouled themselves out of the game.
When I saw the footage my first impression was the Phillipines guy hit the Aussie guy with an elbow accidentally (or at least made it look like it) so one of the Aussie guys waded in and threw an elbow intentionally, which is what started the brawl. Is this accepted as what happened? If so, they only have themselves to blame.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 03 Jul 2018, 10:49

I thought the intervention was silly and really set the whole thing off; not a good look for a non contact sport. the resulting sanctions will give us a better idea of what happened initially but could have been unintentional but hard to judge with only one angle to look at. you rarely see that in rugby league these day let alone lol
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 03 Jul 2018, 10:57

Philippines are saying that the Aussie who retaliated was apparently throwing elbows during the warm up... which is odd because usually the teams take half the court each for a warm up and stay to their side. But ah well...
And due to him throwing elbows earlier they wanted retribution.

The retaliation was bad, and shouldn't have happened.
But what happened afterwards was disgraceful to see a whole team pour onto the court and lay into the players with everything they could.
Even to the point of 3 or 4 players laying into a guy on his back on the floor, including the chair being thrown at him.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 03 Jul 2018, 15:23

Definitely Mini the Filipinos went ballistic and face some heavy sanctions; the interview with Andrew Gaze paints us in a better light but in hind sight we should have left the first elbow be dealt with by the ref and from vision that has been shown it looked rather deliberate; the ref should have been allowed to do his job before we took matters into our own elbows :)
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 04 Jul 2018, 11:16

Two houses have been burned to the ground here over the last week, not really sure of the cause although they suspect one was deliberately lit, but the mind blowing thing is that they were both uninsured.

Why the hell can you own a home and not have it insured? It should be mandatory, like CTP or something.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 04 Jul 2018, 11:47

Suppose when it's your own home, the risk is all yours. If it's a cat accident, chances are you'll affect others too.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 04 Jul 2018, 11:52

One thing I do every week without fail is send out birthday cards to every team member with a birthday coming up soon, the card always has a hand-written and personalised message inside. It takes less than 5 minutes, and whilst it gets a bit repetitive and feels like a chore some weeks, it always seemed like a 'nice' thing to do.

Today I had an emotional phone call from one of my Volunteers who was overwhelmed, as she had just received her birthday card. She was a bit teary and I asked if she was okay, she said she doesn't have many family members or friends left in her older age. This is the first birthday card she has received in about 5 years, and she couldn't put into words just how much this gesture has meant to her.

Most people don't even mention having received a card, but thanks to her call, I now realise just how important it is for me to continue to do this. It doesn't take a lot to make people feel like they matter, and often it's the little things that make a big difference.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Disco

Post by Disco » 04 Jul 2018, 12:19

storm84 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:47
Suppose when it's your own home, the risk is all yours. If it's a cat accident, chances are you'll affect others too.
True, it just annoys me because the next thing will be a community fundraiser or a GoFundMe or something like that to help them in their situation, and it bugs me.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mini

Post by Mini » 04 Jul 2018, 13:05

Disco wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:16
Two houses have been burned to the ground here over the last week, not really sure of the cause although they suspect one was deliberately lit, but the mind blowing thing is that they were both uninsured.

Why the hell can you own a home and not have it insured? It should be mandatory, like CTP or something.
My parents remember when bush fires went through the Ararat / Halls Gap area in the 80's, and when it was all done the people who were uninsured were the ones that came out better. This was due to the way that the government grants for assistance were done, and the people that weren't going to get insurance were given more to help them. Problem was that they got way more and insured farms got their insurance and not much more.

This mentality continues on today where everyone thinks they will get a hand out when things go really south and planning for it is a waste (Mainly because most people think "It won't happen to me and is a waste of money").
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 04 Jul 2018, 13:08

Mini wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 13:05
Disco wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:16

My parents remember when bush fires went through the Ararat / Halls Gap area in the 80's, and when it was all done the people who were uninsured were the ones that came out better. This was due to the way that the government grants for assistance were done, and the people that weren't going to get insurance were given more to help them. Problem was that they got way more and insured farms got their insurance and not much more.

This mentality continues on today where everyone thinks they will get a hand out when things go really south and planning for it is a waste (Mainly because most people think "It won't happen to me and is a waste of money").
Same thing happened in the Blue Mountains after those fires a few years back, people had insured their homes for the cost to build + contents, say $300-400k. The problem is, in order to rebuild to the new bushfire ratings, it adds a significant amount onto the cost so they got screwed.
0 x
Nekosan wrote: