Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

storm84

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by storm84 » 02 Aug 2018, 11:27

Turns out they wanted permission to contact my references, so I'll take that as a good sign.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 02 Aug 2018, 12:26

Always a good sign. Good luck mate!
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 02 Aug 2018, 17:07

:thumbsup: storm :)
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 03 Aug 2018, 16:02

There's now a possibility I'm going to get two different job offers on Monday...

Decided to turn today into a long weekend, and I'm sitting in an apartment overlooking the ocean. Everything's coming up Milhouse!
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 03 Aug 2018, 17:13

That sounds hella nice man
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 03 Aug 2018, 17:50

Yeah, it's pretty decent.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 03 Aug 2018, 17:58

Is that your tweeter
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 03 Aug 2018, 17:59

perhaps get those two trees removed, looks good though; water looks cold :)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 Aug 2018, 18:57

Nice view Storm.

No long weekend for me. Need get into the zone for owning my interview. Polishing my shoes, dusting off my suit jacket and practicing my full Windsor might be on the agenda instead.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 03 Aug 2018, 20:36

Disco wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 17:58
Is that your tweeter
Indeed
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 04 Aug 2018, 12:22

My interview was for the same position I unsuccessfully interviewed for in October last year - the guy that did get it got promoted and is moving on.

They had the same interview questions. For which I received extensive feedback on after my first interview.

I don't know if I'm going to get an offer, that stuff comes down to a lot more than just me and what I do, but my goodness do I feel confident that I couldn't have done much better with the interview.

So that's nice.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 04 Aug 2018, 14:42

Good to hear that Yurtles! Hope you get the position.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 04 Aug 2018, 23:55

New neighbour moved in today. I believe he's an owner occupier and seems to be caught up in the excitement of owning a tri-leveled townhouse... so much in that he's invited about 30 of his mates over for a loud party and they look to have invited their mates over too if the human traffic on the other side of my place and increasing number of people in his townhouse is anything to go by.

Unfortunately for him, I don't take this stuff sitting down and especially since I'm now Chairman of the body corp committee, by the end of next week, he'll be one step closer to being fined $2600 by the magistrates court if he keeps this up.

Yeah I know, try a softer approach. Tried that with numerous noisy neighbours I've had. Never worked. It's not until the cops are called, that eviction is inevitable or it looks like their bank account will be hurt that there's any change.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 05 Aug 2018, 16:35

Yikes! One of my white business shirts I wear for interviews is all stained around the collar. Haven't worn it in a while. Luckily I do have another white, unstained business shirt where I can still do up the top button.

My full windsor skills is still on the ball. Haven't done up a tie in over a year but it's like riding a bicycle I guess.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 05 Aug 2018, 18:43

Oh you're THAT neighbour.

Take a chill pill man, the guy is having a housewarming... wait and see what sort of neighbour he is.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 05 Aug 2018, 20:54

So I always thought the Ibis (bin-chicken) had pretty much just expanded into urban areas and was simply being a bit of a pest. But for a large part it's actually been properly displaced from its original wetlands (by us) and the urban populations are now a significant part of the whole.

Which is fascinating. It's a pest and problem of our own making and controlling them in the urban areas is taking a step toward genuinely harming their total population. If only after destroying their habitat instead of moving in they'd had the common decency to go and die like most animals. Would have saved everyone a lot of trouble.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

kharis

Post by kharis » 05 Aug 2018, 21:35

yeah the warehouse complex where i work during the week has a huge ibis problem, but then the owners put in a submission to knock everything down to build units and all of a sudden the ibises are protected :)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 06 Aug 2018, 06:45

Nekosan wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 18:43
Oh you're THAT neighbour.

Take a chill pill man, the guy is having a housewarming... wait and see what sort of neighbour he is.
Yeah, I figure it's a housewarming. But it's also a party that went way past midnight into the early hours of the morning in the middle of a complex that would have affected almost 20 other households assuming he had the balconies to both sides of his lot open (and that's not including the next building which would add another 12 lots at least).

I tried to be accommodating by closing all my doors and windows to my bedroom to block out the noise and turned on my aircon to keep things from getting stuffy and also create some background noise. It could still be heard. It was by far the loudest party anyone's held here. Sorry, refusing to believe that he's just ignorant that he's annoying anyone with a party of this scale and duration.

The worse part is that I had scheduled in a breakfast catch up with one of my mentors yesterday morning. The party kept me up so late into the early hours that I slept in and was too tired for the catch up... and it was partially a mock interview that was meant to help me with my interview today. Couldn't reschedule it for later on in the day as my mentor had family commitments. Considering that it's looking like our body corp will be slugging each lot with at least a $13k special levy if we need to undertake our balcony repairs in one hit and I'm the one putting in the work to see if the body corp is able to delay some of the existing work, I very much need this extra pay and I'm already doing him a favour by volunteering to be on the committee to sort out a big problem.

Yeah, I might just be a bit uptight considering that last bit but if he's held the loudest and one of the longest parties here on his first attempt, I'm not wanting to see what sort of neighbour he is before raising an issue. Done that a too many times in the past already thinking I was just being uptight and my finding is that neighbours who throw large parties will continue to do so... frequently if no complaints go their way. The last one was when mum was staying here doing chemo... I had some polite words about my situation to that neighbour afterwards. The weekend of that same week I spoke to him... loud party again.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 06 Aug 2018, 09:34

I'm glad I don't live next door to you, you sound like the fun police.

It sounds like the party got out of hand, but did you even bother ringing the cops? They probably would have had it shut down pretty quick.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 06 Aug 2018, 11:08

Could you not have a friendly conversation with him? You know "Welcome to the complex... I hate to sound like a stick in the mud BUT the party on the weekend was a bit much. Understand that it was probably a housewarming and you got caught up in the moment, but the noise was a bit over the top. Just keep in mind that there's 20 other households here, and if someone were to complain to the body corporate, there's a pretty hefty fine involved and I'd hate to see you hit with that as a new home owner". Might get you off to a better start.

When i moved into my complex I had some old bitch neighbour come over and abuse me and demand to know who my landlord was (I didn't have one, owner-occupier) because my dog was apparently shitting on the communal lawn. Had she of had that conversation with me using a slightly nicer tone and manner, we could have addressed the issue in a slightly more adult manner - but instead, we spent several years glaring at each other and staring each other down in communal areas and I hated that cunt until the day she died.

Try not to be an asshole about it on a first offence.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 06 Aug 2018, 11:32

CherryRed wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 11:08
Try not to be an asshole about it on a first offence.
Yep.

Or in the words of George Costanza: "You know we're living in a society!"
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 06 Aug 2018, 11:51

One thing I have learned in 18 months of volunteering and 2 years of managing a 'house' where we can have up to 8 families living here at any one time, is that people do not naturally integrate into communal living environments easily (and yes, the younger the parent, the harder it is to get them to comply) - but - most of the time the things they do to upset others is not intentional. Sometimes it's purely lack of forethought, sometimes it's that their idea of 'acceptable' and our idea of 'acceptable' are different.

If I've had a run of difficult families and I'm fed up to my eyeballs with it, and I happen to crack down on a family hard from the get-go, often that family will push back a create waves. If I go into it having a civil, adult conversation and calmly explaining to them what the situation is, how or why this is affecting others negatively and explaining the behaviour we would prefer to see, MOST of the time I get a sincere apology and a family who happily and willingly do what they can to modify their behaviour whilst staying with us.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 06 Aug 2018, 16:51

Yurtles wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 20:54
So I always thought the Ibis (bin-chicken) had pretty much just expanded into urban areas and was simply being a bit of a pest. But for a large part it's actually been properly displaced from its original wetlands (by us) and the urban populations are now a significant part of the whole.

Which is fascinating. It's a pest and problem of our own making and controlling them in the urban areas is taking a step toward genuinely harming their total population. If only after destroying their habitat instead of moving in they'd had the common decency to go and die like most animals. Would have saved everyone a lot of trouble.
I have one that is in my yard 24/7, apparently i have plenty of worms. It was pissing me off until i realized he's aerating my lawn for free. :lol:
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 06 Aug 2018, 20:33

Disco wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 09:34
It sounds like the party got out of hand, but did you even bother ringing the cops? They probably would have had it shut down pretty quick.
I did... twice. The only thing I did wrong was not calling the cops sooner because I thought I'd be a considerate neighbour and see if it's just a small, yet loud party that ends early still. When it started getting really excessive about 9pm, I called the cops the first time. Around 10:30pm when their numbers had doubled, I called again. Both times it was a 10min+ wait which from past experience means the cops are super busy that evening. Pretty sure the cops never came.
CherryRed wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 11:08
Could you not have a friendly conversation with him?
I wish... I so, so, very wish my past experience could convince me to do this but I have never, ever had this work and lord knows I've tried to believe that people can change without me being the "arsehole". I have honestly lost count of the number of times I've tried the softer approach first and just gotten burnt by it. A few examples I can think of at this time:

1. as a renter, I had this butt ugly ute parked in front of my garage one day. I eventually found the owner (the son of the body corp chairman) who did move it the first time. As I didn't want to keep troubling him, I mentioned that I did have a few appointments that day and would need to go in and out quite a bit. Upon getting home, the ute was out at the front again. I knocked on their door but he had the music blasting out and couldn't care less about moving his car. I knocked for 15min and very hard too. My car was left outside all weekend and I was afraid he'd vandalise it. Turns out his mum was away that weekend. She saw his ute block access to my garage when she got home and immediately came down to apologise. She knew he was a jerk. I felt sorry for her as she was a really nice lady (worked as a nurse too). I didn't make a fuss of it with her obviously.

2. loud partiers in the block next door to the first unit I owned. I didn't approach them but the guy upstairs did. The partiers told him to fuck off. My room mate at the time as also sick of the partying and decided to stick up for the guy upstairs. Half a second after the guy up stairs was told to fuck off, she was outside giving shit back to the partiers with me behind her. The partiers stopped at that point. Yeah, we had uncomfortable stares with those guys from that day onwards but they usually looked away first in shame.

3. loud lady living next door... she and her daughter were new and I thought I'd be friendly considering she seemed down on her luck and was struggling. I mentioned that her music was quite loud and the acoustics of the block makes it echo quite badly into neighbouring lots. Since my block had been calling the cops heaps on the partiers in example 2 above, I told the new lady that it's best to keep it down in case anyone else calls the cops on her too as everyone has been a bit edgy. Later that arvo, she had the music up again. I knocked on her door. She came out and said she had turned the volume from 10 to 9 already. I mentioned it was way too loud still. I really tried to work with this one but she just didn't get it and started to get aggressive back from frustration. Two weekends later, I found myself calling the cops on her. The cops only knock on people's doors when they can hear it from the front of the complex (so they tell me anyway) so it was definitely loud. Uncomfortable stares from that point onwards anyway as she knew it was me.

4. loud ethnic family moves in above loud lady's unit. Loud ethnic lady is on the phone (or skype) from 8am till almost midnight at least 4 times a week... has an arvo nap at least but she also leaves her toddler yelling and screaming on the balcony and at the front door. I knock on their door eventually as I can't focus on my assignments with her yapping away. Her husband answers the door. He says they'll keep it down. She doesn't like being told to keep it down and keeps on yapping away (pretty obvious who wears the pants in that family). I try again next weekend. No results. I email their landlord instead of going through the body corp as I thought I'd help the landlord save face and keep it a private matter... boy was that dumb. She didn't want to deal with the matter at all. I sought advice from BCCM who said I need to at least try working it out with the landlord first and that I should get a voice recorder and record how loud the ethnic neighbours are for something to gauge. One night, when the ethnic lady was yapping away on the phone again, I messaged the landlord. It quietened down 15min later. 40min later I got a knock on my door... it was their landlord who said that there's no noise and that she never wants to talk about the matter again. A few minutes after their landlord left, ethnic lady is yapping away again. I had to initiate a conciliation meeting with the BCCM in order to get some results... ethnic lady eventually learnt to lower her voice over the next 6 months so that it wasn't annoying the block. Funny thing though... the loud partiers in point 2 also shouted at the ethnic lady to shut up on Sunday mornings when they were hungover and wanted sleep. I also knew the ethnic lady didn't care about keeping it quiet... I recorded her saying just that and my work colleague of same ethnicity translated it back. Also ironic was that loud lady in in point 3 was going through chemo at one point and couldn't deal with ethnic lady yapping on the phone and wanted me to have words with ethnic lady and her landlord. Yes, I did try to help her get some peace... we may not have gotten along but I believe society needs to make things easier for our sick and loud lady deserved a fair chance when going through chemo.

5. Current place: neighbour next door holds loud parties. I see him in the common area. I nicely ask him to keep it down as my mum had just started staying with me and she was going through chemo at the time. 2 days after I speak to him, he holds a louder party. Was bad mouthing me to his mates (I don't think he realised my bedroom was on the ground floor and right next to their courtyard where they were partying). I call cops. He never holds another party. We have uncomfortable looks until he moves out. The sad thing is that I judged the guy as looking like a reasonable fella which was the reason I spoke to him first.

6. Reveling 20 somethings two and three lots down. These boys and girls took turns holding loud parties in their adjacent townhouse. They boys were the worst as they threw bottle caps at moving cars from their top balcony. Mum was with me still and needed her rest. I call the cops every time they have loud parties as they don't come to the door when I knock and I didn't see them in the common area up to this point. Doesn't deter them from partying again. One evening when they're partying, the cops didn't come. I go knocking on their door with huge thumps for 20 minutes until the girl who was hungover in her swimmers opens the door. I explain that I had a sick parent with me but I was pretty furious at this point. She gets everyone to shut up for the night. Next weekend, they hold another party... I call cops and let the body corp know too. The loud parties stop for the next two months. It starts again, I call cops and lodge complaint with body corp. These two groups eventually move out.

Yeah, by this point I'm sure I come off as an arsehole. But I very much had to be in all the above situations where I got results. If there's one thing that I've learnt though is that when I take the soft approach first, it makes me a target as people know who I am. It get uncomfortable for both parties after I start having to call the cops and lodge complaints with the body corp because the other party can't be considerate.

If anything, it's always better for me to call the cops and lodge body corp complaints without speaking to them first. I remain anonymous and they eventually get the message.

Really, I try to be reasonable. A month ago, the girl who was living in the townhouse that the new guy has moved into, she had her 27th birthday. She put a message in everyone's letterbox explaining that she'd be having a party, that there will be a few people but it wouldn't be rowdy and would finish at a reasonable time. She left her number for anyone to call if we had concerns. Yes, her party went ahead. Did I think she was rowdy... well, I face her balcony so I was always going to get the full force of the noise. But I just closed the balcony door to help block out the noise. She finished at 10pm... a reasonable time IMHO. I had no issues with this. They were considerate, so I was considerate.

New guy though... spends all day doing noisy DIY work on the townhouse (baby a few lots down was crying all day... more than usual... coincidence?). He then holds the loudest party ever in this complex until the early hours of the next morning. Sorry, I don't have the time nor energy in me to work with him on this so he can gradually ease his parties down to something reasonable. I'm just going to continue calling the cops and also lodge the issue with the body corp. The body corp managers keeps this stuff anonymous in the first instance anyway. He may suspect me... but he'll be suspecting everyone else too. And I find that usually going to the body corp first yields results in addition to keeping me anonymous with the culprit. So why do I have to go through all the stress above when there's an easier way that actually gets me better results too?
Last edited by Mugsy on 06 Aug 2018, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 06 Aug 2018, 21:06

Mugsy wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 20:33
**lots of justification**
0 x
Nekosan wrote: