Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Mugsy

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by Mugsy » 11 Dec 2018, 20:02

Wow! That was quick... didn't even realise you had headed off to Africa already mate.

And lovely shot... that was one thing I didn't get a shot of over there. The other was a rhino. And awesome tip from your tour guide too! I'm gonna have to remember that. The vignetting really adds to the shot IMHO.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 12 Dec 2018, 08:37

Great photo!
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Disco

Post by Disco » 12 Dec 2018, 10:23

I was only just looking at a Safari in SA yesterday actually, $4,000AUD for 10 nights, plus flights, plus the game animals you pick (some of them are POA, others range from $250 to $10,000 each).

Then I'd have to buy a rifle big enough for plains hunting... .300 Win Mag or .338
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 14 Dec 2018, 12:45

amazing they named a band after me :D

0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 14 Dec 2018, 23:54

Why do i get the feeling thats their friends dancing?
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 15 Dec 2018, 10:22

totally agree :)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 Dec 2018, 18:53

Using Uber Eats for the first time... man, the mark up is ridiculous. Even with a $20 discount code, the price is almost as much as going in store and picking up. I guess being $5 ahead is still $5 ahead. Watching the icon of where the delivery chick is at is a bit of novelty I guess.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 16 Dec 2018, 14:07

There's also the novelty of having your shit delivered, rather than fucking about going to collect it, trying to find a park, your order not being ready, waiting around for 20 minutes getting pissed off, etc.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 16 Dec 2018, 16:26

This ^

I'll take $5.95 delivery and a $2 markup per item any day of the week over actually getting off my ass. The tiny markup is less than id earn working in the time it would take me to go get the food myself.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 16 Dec 2018, 17:04

The problem is that it's not a tiny mark up per item... I did the maths and we're talking ~$7 on the main meal and ~$3 on the side salad and this is before the delivery fee. I'd agree that it's still less than what I'd be earning in that time if it wasn't for the fact that I'm ordering on the weekend when I wouldn't be earning my salary during the time period I'm getting food. Normally it would cost me $26.50 to go instore to get what I ordered yesterday. Via Uber Eats, it was $41 before the discount. I dunno about you guys but $41 for one person is tad pricey, especially since it's like $2.60 in fuel costs to drive there.

Normally I don't get delivery because I prefer to go in store to make sure they've prepared what I asked for. Had a few bad experiences with pizza orders when I was in high school where the delivery guy would arrive, state the wrong pizzas and had to take the pizzas back to the store and get the right ones made. We may have gotten a refund but also had to starve for another hour while they corrected the mistake. When i got my drivers license, it was all pick up from then onwards which I never regretted as there's been a few incorrect orders I was able to rectify on the spot. Normally I'd go up to the counter to pay and also confirm the exact pizzas they are preparing at the same time. If they've stuffed up, it can be rectified in a timely manner.

If I was out and about, busy, couldn't swing by the restaurant, and want a meal delivered by the time I got home in 30min... yeah, I can see the advantage of ordering through Uber Eats. Different stores may have different mark ups too... I may have just ordered from a store with a ridiculous meal price mark up.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 16 Dec 2018, 18:21

Man, I get the feeling any service you don't take advantage of is a good one for them :lol: You know what they say, you have a bad customer experience in the morning, you had a bad customer experience, but you run into bad customer meetings all day, and you're the bad customer.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 16 Dec 2018, 19:44

If by 'them' you mean Uber Eats, then yeah, I'd gladly avoid the service if the mark up is just as high across other restaurants and just order directly through the restaurant themselves and go pick up. Dad's last workplace jumped on Uber Eats as their delivery provider, as did two uncles on Dad's side of the family and one on Mum's side. All said that their profits are down following the move.

The restaurants are caught between a rock and a hard place though. Customers are increasingly demanding the "convenience" of doing everything through a phone app and the restaurants need to expand their presence as much as they can to compete with other restaurants jumping on these delivery services. On the other hand, Uber takes a % cut resulting in some ridiculous mark ups. If they kept it to a flat fee per order, it would be a lot easier to stomach for both the vendor and the customer.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 17 Dec 2018, 14:44

Easiest option is to just not use them if you don't approve of their business methods, I think that will really show them :lol:

We've got Menulog here which is nice to have some options for delivery that aren't crap pizza, but man our food looks like this:

Pizza: 4 places
Indian: 6 places
Thai: 1 place

And that's it
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 17 Dec 2018, 17:49

It's the way of the world. There's an Indian place we regularly order from, and they seem to do great business online. But everytime I drive past, there's nobody in. My guess is that for many cheapish restaurants, home delivery is now more convenient for most people than going out. I'll bet, too, that while they make less per order, their volume is up.

One thing I've found now is that we almost never go to basic restaurants, and instead go to higher quality restaurants instead. Home delivery serves as the equivalent of a TV dinner functionally (though far less crap in quality). For when we can't be arsed to go out and can't be arsed to cook... :P
Last edited by storm84 on 17 Dec 2018, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 17 Dec 2018, 17:52

I don't even know where the Chinese place on Menulog I order from is actually located. I kind of don't want to find it in case it looks sketchy because it's so dang delicious. :D
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 17 Dec 2018, 20:15

Bro looked himself out again. Guess who saved the day?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 17 Dec 2018, 21:15

storm84 wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 17:49
It's the way of the world. There's an Indian place we regularly order from, and they seem to do great business online. But everytime I drive past, there's nobody in. My guess is that for many cheapish restaurants, home delivery is now more convenient for most people than going out. I'll very too that while they make less per order, their volume is up.

One thing I've found now is that we almost never go to basic restaurants, and instead go to higher quality restaurants instead. Home delivery serves as the equivalent of a TV dinner functionally (though far less crap in quality). For when we can't be arsed to go out and can't be arsed to cook... :P
on the money storm... tuna and noddles and go out for a good dinner when you can and cooking steak and chips in between ain't that hard :D
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 17 Dec 2018, 21:41

Disco wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 14:44

And that's it
I don't think I could survive where you guys are... never been a fan of Indian food. The Thai and Pizza places would get all my business - lol

Will have to give Menulog a try. There's a Yiros place nearby that I've been meaning to try for ages that is on menulog.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

ChainsawMcP

Post by ChainsawMcP » 17 Dec 2018, 23:24

CherryRed wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 10:08
Been really happy with the quality of the beers
Day 6: Chainsaw Ale by Prickly Moses, we both liked it.
With a name like that, how could you not like it :wave: ... ... ... and from the description I just read, I probably would too. Looks like the only place "nearby" that sells it is the Old Canberra Inn... (only 15 mins drive for me - a little bit longer for you)
CherryRed wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 10:08
Day 8: Crankshaft IPA by BentSpoke Brewing Co, we both liked it
If you visit your aunt you could drop in to the brewery - (it's a brewery/pub in Braddon) - they have a few other nice drops
Disco wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 10:23
I was only just looking at a Safari in SA yesterday actually, $4,000AUD for 10 nights, plus flights,
:crazy: That's only a few hundred bucks more than the trip I've got booked on the Indian Pacific - Sydney to Perth - with extra days in/around Perth - same number of days and including flights... we really do get slugged hard for holidaying IN Australia
That is booked a year out to get cheaper rates... if I wanted to go earlier - it would top the $4000 mark :wtf:
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 18 Dec 2018, 08:51

Mugsy wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 21:41
Disco wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 14:44

And that's it
I don't think I could survive where you guys are... never been a fan of Indian food. The Thai and Pizza places would get all my business - lol
We have more food options than that, they just don't necessarily do delivery - it will come in time, I'm sure, country areas sometimes take a little longer to adopt this stuff.

In addition to Indian, we have Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Italian, Thai, Chinese, Yiros, Hogs Breath, Rooftop Pizza Bar & Street Food kitchen, an American style smoked meat/burger joint, Noodle Box, Dumpling House, traditional Fish & Chip shops, and classic pub style places. We've got a fair few of your 'standard' fast food places like McDonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks, Red Rooster, Subway, Pizza Hut, Pizza Capers, Dominoes, etc. We also live bang-smack in the middle of a food & wine region, so the quality of our 'fine dining' restaurants is up there but knowing how frugal you are, you'd shit your pants if you saw the price of dining at them :lol:
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Dec 2018, 10:32

Haha... If it's fine dining and they do a good job, it's worth the extra cost. I always make the effort to dine once at Maldini down at Hobart when I visit even though it's a $90+ spend. I just don't over pay on other things so I can afford the fine dining.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Dec 2018, 11:10

Just put in leave to start tomorrow. Can't wait for the day to end esp after a tummy ache last night.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 19 Dec 2018, 17:51

Restaurant we booked for NYE had to close for the holidays because of an injury, so we had to scramble to book somewhere else.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 19 Dec 2018, 22:41

My parents arrive the day before NYE so I'm expecting we will just spend time with them. Good news is that mum doesn't drink so no need for us to dick about with taxis or uber.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 19 Dec 2018, 23:03

NYE will probably be a pot luck dinner at my bro's place with a few of our friends. We're all sick of crowds... nothing wrong with them but we're not in the mood these days. It's just more relaxing being at someone's home where we can hear each other talk. I might make some gumbo this year. Hopefully there will be a few shops open for me to get okra and spicy sausages.

On the topic of cooking, I'm going through my cupboards and clearing out items that need to be eaten before they expire... found two packets of rice paper. I think I'll be eating rice paper rolls up until xmas - lol
0 x
CherryRed wrote: