Hardware review: ASUS RoG G20CB desktop

Player Attack News straight from the horse's mouth
NewsBot

Hardware review: ASUS RoG G20CB desktop

Post by NewsBot » 19 Jan 2017, 14:21

Pre-built computers for gaming weren't always a viable option for your hardcore gamer - they just didn't have the power to run your favourite games. And if you weren't confident enough to build your own PC, you probably didn't want to sink some of your hard earned cash into a puzzle that can go wrong.
Happily, pre-built gaming PC's are now becoming more affordable and reliable for gamers who want a "set it and forget it" option. ASUS's ROG G20CB is a great looking computer, with the power to back it up - and it's VR Compatible.
The post Hardware review: ASUS RoG G20CB desktop appeared first on Player Attack.

Read more here
0 x

trb

Re: Hardware review: ASUS RoG G20CB desktop

Post by trb » 07 Feb 2017, 19:26

8gb ram? lol
My pc had 16gb 5 years ago, why would they skimp on the RAM?
And yes my RAM usage regularly goes over 8gb.
What a horrible power supply too.
Either that 1080 under load will be starved of power or they have a slow 1080.
while a decently clocked 1080 will overage just under 180W under load it will peak over 300w.
"The ROG G20CB has been designed to age well and not require as frequent hardware upgrades as your homebrew computer"
What does this even mean? This 'ROG' isn't even as good as my homebrew PC and with a highly stressed PSU it'll probably fail sooner than my PSU with over 50 amps available on the 12v rail and 30 amps on the 3.3 and 5v rail.
They are running budget H170 series mainboards which means it can't really be upgraded at all, it can't run SLI both because it doesn't have the power and also the mainboard only has 1 PCIe x16 slot since the case has no expansion room.
You can't overclock, the GPU is already starved for power and they probably bulk bought the lower clocked budget leftover 1080's anyway.
That leaves upgrading the ram, well la-di-da, it didn't have enough to begin with.

BTW the 270 series mainboards and kaby-lake CPUs are already available, so enjoy that budget board and CPU from last generation on your $4k pc.

This is a terrible PC for the price.

Edit: Just for my amusement I priced out a box-only system on pccasegear.com.
$3807 for;
In win 509 glass case
Corsair AX-760 platinum modular PSU
ASRock Z270 Extreme4 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 7700
Corsair Hydro Series H80i 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Water Cooled 8GB
Corsair Vengeance LED CMU32GX4M4C3466C16R 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB SSD [up to 3200MB/s]

Thats $200 cheaper and I didn't cheap out on anything and it'll out-perform that ASUS pre-built by a decent margin and has a closed loop, no-service required, water-cooling system for both the CPU and GPU with a glass case that has a bulk-head separated compartment for the radiators.
And I bet for for $50 you could have the local 16yo put it together for you.
0 x