Training and fitness.

"Would say maybe Arts/Crafts/Cooking/Gardening but then the forum title gets a bit long..."
Nekosan

Re: Training and fitness.

Post by Nekosan » 23 Mar 2016, 18:12

storm84 wrote:My training at the moment consists as running as long as I can twice a week

Running is for poor people, buy yourself a road bike and join the "nearly die every day while exercising" master race :lol:
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

easp

Post by easp » 24 Mar 2016, 16:10

storm84 wrote:Achieved a milestone today. It's been my goal to run around the local lake in less than 40 minutes. Total distance is 6.7km. Gotten within a minute a couple of times, but today was the first time I managed to get under that time. Did it in 38:40!

Even happier considering I'm still sore from the weight training on Sunday.
Nice work mate. I had a chat to a couple of the trainers at the gym about long distance training and all they gave me was that I should look up http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/145.shtml

This is one of my main reasons why I dislike trainers so much. They try and sell people that they know what there doing and they can really help you and the reality is they just rip shit from the internet and don't put an ounce of effort into their clients.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 24 Mar 2016, 17:39

Thanks for asking around anyway, it's really above and beyond. :)

Reading through that website, I realise I'm not even at what they'd call the beginner stage. Guess I really should start stepping up soon, though I think I will take your advice (and others in this thread) and start making sure I put in the time for weights training in addition to my running. That and try to severely cut down on junk food consumption. :P
0 x

easp

Post by easp » 24 Mar 2016, 17:50

storm84 wrote:Thanks for asking around anyway, it's really above and beyond. :)
Sure is when asking a trainer to do their job or even have the slightest bit of knowledge :evil: anyway...

You can eat all the junk food you want if your metabolism is high enough it depends how bad you want it. Your base metabolism is mostly determined by your lean muscle mass. That and you can shift it to a burn more calories through HIIT. Just rehashing pretty much. That's why weights is pretty much always the best option for body composition.
0 x

Chooky

Post by Chooky » 28 Mar 2016, 21:30

no CrossFit?

why no CrossFit?
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 28 Mar 2016, 22:08

Chooky wrote:no CrossFit?

why no CrossFit?
Because last time I went there it was $45 p/w to be a member (at least at my local club, injuries and poor form not to be discussed), seriously, $90 a fortnight? Fuck that
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Chooky

Post by Chooky » 28 Mar 2016, 22:46

Disco wrote:
Chooky wrote:no CrossFit?

why no CrossFit?
Because last time I went there it was $45 p/w to be a member (at least at my local club, injuries and poor form not to be discussed), seriously, $90 a fortnight? Fuck that
That is an unfortunate experience dude, and i would say that not all CrossFit gym's are like that in my experience.

You are right in that CrossFit isn't cheap, however with the right coaches and the right training you can get value for money.

It all depends on your end goals, if like the OP its get strong, huge and cut for competing in body building, then its not for you. If you want to move faster, better and loose weight, it might work for you.

The things to consider with crossfit is that they are all affiliates, which means that they can charge what they want, coach how they want and do as they please, this unfortunately leaves a bad taste in the mouth for some people who try it out and have a negative time. It sucks, but thats the nature of the beast.

I have to disagree with the OP about the Deadlift and the Squat too.
theses lifts are not overly complex, nor are they lifts that a beginner should not attempt.
They are the best lifts for a beginner. With the right supervision and the right direction and correctly warming up and activating all the major muscle groups a beginner can be taught how to execute the lifts with ease, teaching the right muscle activation's only requires you to pay attention to the lifter and to coach them properly.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 28 Mar 2016, 22:50

One thing I liked about it was that it was quick, intense, varied - that really appealed to me vs going to the gym over and over and trying now things, but I can't justify that kind of cost for a gym, compared to $9 p/w for every other gym in town. Right now I'm hoping to join an Anytime and hit it up with a mate who played high level rugby who knows his shit
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Chooky

Post by Chooky » 28 Mar 2016, 22:55

Totally understand the value for money perception and i can't really argue with that.

Anytime Fitness and training with a mate will win out in some cases.

The variety in CrossFit along with intensity, and the community that a good crossfit box has can sometimes return the value of the fees.
When things are lacking and the coaching is shit and people are getting hurt from that, then it sucks and it shouldn't happen.
0 x

easp

Post by easp » 29 Mar 2016, 00:32

Chooky wrote:When things are lacking and the coaching is shit and people are getting hurt from that, then it sucks and it shouldn't happen.
This my issue with crossfit and why I personally would not recommend it to my friends and family. When you are performing multijoint movements for time there will eventually be a break down in form and an injury is going too occur.

I am not trying to trash your sport. Being active in anyway or form is excellent and the more people who lift on the forums the better :)

I would never on the other hand recommend that people take up bodybuilding either. It is an incredibly unhealthy sport, for many reasons, even on an amateur level where comps are tested and drugs aren't involved.

My post had nothing to do with body building or getting huge however(And body builders are piss weak compared to other types of lifters) and its here in the hopes of making people who aren't very confident in the gym a bit more comfortable. My stance on squats and deadlifts should of probably been better explained. If your a fit healthy young adult with someone who knows what there doing then go for it. I would never get my old man or mum for example doing these exercises. Activating muscles that your body has taught itself not to use literally takes thousands on thousands of repetitions to retrain the mind-muscle connection.

Just too further expand, without knowing anyone's fitness or history the program's I put on here are very low risk. getting injured is the last thing anybody needs and you should proceed at your own pace and don't get suckered in by people telling you that you *have* to do these lifts. Only you know your body and if it don't feel right don't do it!
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 08 Sep 2016, 19:20

After running by myself against myself for years, I've finally got up the nerve to join the local running group that runs near my office on lunchtimes on Wednesdays. It's a 6.1km run, so within my range, though it's hillier than the local run around the lake.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 08 Sep 2016, 20:13

I need to start doing some type of activity. Considering buying myself a pait of runners for my bday and giving it a shot. Cheaper than going to the gym :)

edit: damn phone
Last edited by kharis on 08 Sep 2016, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 08 Sep 2016, 20:25

I just tracked my food and ate less energy than I used. Legit worked.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

storm84

Post by storm84 » 08 Sep 2016, 20:29

Matty wrote:I just tracked my food and ate less energy than I used. Legit worked.
Did that for a year and lost 20.5kg. People kept asking me what my secret was...
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 08 Sep 2016, 20:41

Matty wrote:I just tracked my food and ate less energy than I used. Legit worked.
Well lah-dee-dah Mr Scientist. Take your common sense weight loss secret and go play with your climate change buddies. Some of us have non-evidence based fad diets to go spew all over social media.
2 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 09 Sep 2016, 09:27

Ralph Wiggum wrote: Some of us have non-evidence based fad diets to go spew all over social media.
Legit had a guy in my facebook feed this morning posting about some new electroshock therapy machine thing which is meant to work your muscles while you sit on the couch, hes thinking about trying it after the previous method of just covering himself in overpriced glad-wrap didn't work out.

I've dropped a couple of kgs since getting back on the fitness bandwagon, just finding the time to regularly work out with my current schedule is the hard part, been waking up half an hour earlier than normal recently and going to try to up there to an hour earlier so I can do a workout, either hope on the bike or do some DDP yoga. Need to get back into lifting some weight or hitting the punch bag which I always enjoyed, but they are hard to do before sunrise with the whole being outside on the balcony and everyone else still being asleep.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 09 Sep 2016, 09:55

Hey, if it's good enough for Bruce Lee, it's good enough for that guy.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 14 Sep 2016, 15:34

storm84 wrote:After running by myself against myself for years, I've finally got up the nerve to join the local running group that runs near my office on lunchtimes on Wednesdays. It's a 6.1km run, so within my range, though it's hillier than the local run around the lake.
Managed to do it today. 37:51 for the journey, which wasn't too bad considering the rain and having to stop and wait for others to get directions a couple of times.

My goal is to get that down to 36:00 by the end of the year.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 14 Sep 2016, 16:24

I went for a run which turned into a brisk walk. Well at least it was something
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Sep 2016, 22:29

Having back and neck issues, I tend to avoid exercise with a sufficient amount of impacts so unless I'm running at the beach, I tend to avoid running or jogging.

I've started back at pilates about a month or so ago. Need to get some resistance training happening again now that my core is stronger and spend some time on the elliptical trainer again for cardio. Wouldn't mind taking up boxing classes when my body's stronger.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 18 Nov 2016, 20:12

Met with a PT from the gym on Monday, who gave me a training regime to help me out with my running. DId my first resistance training session today - I haven't been this sore after a workout in years.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 09 Jul 2017, 13:02

Signed up for the Canberra fun run in 8 weeks time. Got 8 weeks to get back into shape...
0 x