Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Mini

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by Mini » 22 May 2017, 10:04

I think that is what I am enjoying. You have to read through the quests to know where you need to go. There isn't any hand holding with map markers.
And 1 of my quests is just looking for a guy that killed someone I found in a cave, no more direction other than he was wearing a red cape. So I am assuming I will find someone that when I am reading through their backstory that it will show what they did. So far I haven't found that one, and it isn't a game that I want to go looking at guides for. It is fun just exploring.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 22 May 2017, 15:12

I suck at the combat tbh. What kinda annoys me about the game is how unclear the journal is. Quests from arsehole to breakfast but only a few will actually tell you where the quest is. I need a bit more direction, I don't have 40 hours up my sleeve to find the key to (what I think is) the Troll's lair east of Dyreford.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 May 2017, 17:25

If I didn't use an online guide, there's no way I would have been able to finish Pillars. It was a fun game and there was plenty to explore, but the guide was absolutely essential for not getting lost for me.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 May 2017, 18:09

DarkMellie wrote:
22 May 2017, 15:12
I suck at the combat tbh. What kinda annoys me about the game is how unclear the journal is. Quests from arsehole to breakfast but only a few will actually tell you where the quest is. I need a bit more direction, I don't have 40 hours up my sleeve to find the key to (what I think is) the Troll's lair east of Dyreford.
Yeah this
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 22 May 2017, 19:01

Artful-dodgeR wrote:
21 May 2017, 20:20
I moved onto Reddit a while ago, as Melliman said it's perfect for finding niche likes and communities.
The problem is that it's not real community, you never get to know people.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 May 2017, 19:12

Nekosan wrote:
22 May 2017, 19:01
Artful-dodgeR wrote:
I moved onto Reddit a while ago, as Melliman said it's perfect for finding niche likes and communities.
This
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 22 May 2017, 22:48

FINALLY!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =930788793

Grabbed the Zubmariner DLC for Sunless Sea way back when it released but never actually played it. Finally completed the quest tonight to construct the zub (took about two and a half hours) and am happily exploring the unterzea. Lots of extra enemies which is annoying as I still have the starter ship, but being able to visit places like Low Barnett that were previously just location names without a port... very cool.

Now that my zub is created, I don't need to re-complete the request and just need to go to Port Carnelion (one of the few fixed locations on the map) to refit my ship.
0 x

Artful-dodgeR
Location: A part of Victoria that is basically South Australia.

Post by Artful-dodgeR » 23 May 2017, 08:21

Disco wrote:
22 May 2017, 19:12
Nekosan wrote:
22 May 2017, 19:01
Artful-dodgeR wrote:
This
Some larger communities, I fully agree, but again smaller communities/interests you can get quite a close knit community. Not nearly as close as something like this, I can whole heartedly agree on that point but sometimes it ain't so bad.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 23 May 2017, 22:28

I played Overwatch on the Xbox and wasn't really taken with it. I grabbed it today for PC....

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I've been playing it and grinning like a loon. This is AWESOME.

Mighta helped that I got 18 kills with a 6 kill streak first match. Can also see why people hate Genji though, that guy is a prick.

EDIT: Played as Soldier76. PB for the night was 22 eliminations of which 15 were solo kills. Goddamn that is some fun.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 24 May 2017, 07:22

So another Kickstarted game made its way into my ever increasing 'to-play' backlog today with a launch.
Starcrawlers. Been in early access for a few years until this morning.

Pretty impressed with what I've played so far, if you're ever interested in a Space setting/Firefly/Shadowrun inspired version of Legend of Grimrock with more proper RPG elements such as a town hub with purchasable and upgradable gear, with hirable party members, and missions/faction reps etc. then check it out.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 24 May 2017, 09:21

Stoibs wrote:
24 May 2017, 07:22
So another Kickstarted game made its way into my ever increasing 'to-play' backlog today with a launch.
Starcrawlers. Been in early access for a few years until this morning.

Pretty impressed with what I've played so far, if you're ever interested in a Space setting/Firefly/Shadowrun inspired version of Legend of Grimrock with more proper RPG elements such as a town hub with purchasable and upgradable gear, with hirable party members, and missions/faction reps etc. then check it out.
That description sounds awesome... I am now going to have to go have a look at what this game is.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 24 May 2017, 10:34

That does sound cool.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Artful-dodgeR
Location: A part of Victoria that is basically South Australia.

Post by Artful-dodgeR » 24 May 2017, 12:13

DarkMellie wrote:
23 May 2017, 22:28
I played Overwatch on the Xbox and wasn't really taken with it. I grabbed it today for PC....

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I've been playing it and grinning like a loon. This is AWESOME.

Mighta helped that I got 18 kills with a 6 kill streak first match. Can also see why people hate Genji though, that guy is a prick.

EDIT: Played as Soldier76. PB for the night was 22 eliminations of which 15 were solo kills. Goddamn that is some fun.
I swear I could tell you were a 76 player from the way you wrote it :P If you want to some time you can hit me for a game.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 24 May 2017, 12:21

I haven't played in ages... really should jump back in for a few games.
Hit me up if I'm online
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 25 May 2017, 00:20

Hey Artful, I accidentally invited you to my group but would have been happy had you stayed! I just didn't want to disturb you. Next time, start a game up for us!

Overwatch just as fun if not moreso tonight as I tried on a few new characters. Some really cool shit happening in that game and I'm reminded of the joy I felt playing TF2... speaking of... why isn't there a spy class? Seems like such a missed opportunity!

Endless Space 2... what a fantastic game, easily Amplitude's best (as far as mechanics... as far as fun it's equal to Endless Legend). Started my 4th campaign tonight, this time as the good old human Empire. Apart from maybe 10 turns of negative manpower woes, I grew a tasty empire that saw all AI foes 'wary' of me when they first met me. Ships are running at around 400/400 for attack and defense, I've got trading companies doing some great business, lots of exploited resources and luxuries giving me an income of around +600 Dust per turn and my influence is around +350 meaning my systems grow quicker and I have lots of spare cash to buy stuff outright rather than wait for a build timer. For research, I'm cranking out +800 per turn so am discovering technologies at a rapid rate.

Turn 72 is here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =931941093

Have reach a problem at turn 89 though.. the turn won't end. PC obviously has lots to calculate at this point but am a bit mystified that this is slowing down so early (given I've only discovered probably 35% of the galaxy).

Highly recommend as a 4X game with a tonne of personality.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 25 May 2017, 14:39

Distant Worlds: Universes... the mother of all 4X games, has always been exceptionally expensive at $60USD. Currently on Humble Bundle for $20USD.

Apparently it's almost a true Universe Simulator. You can choose to start on a planet and actually work your way up to building a spaceship and seeding the galaxy, all the way through to controlling an immense stellar empire. What makes it really cool at this scale is that you can automate any and every aspect of your empire. This is under the guide of private contractors who will keep your system running. You can even automate absolutely everything and just watch your universe expand.

There's also a world of mods from the steam library too, pretty sure I'd be playing a BSG mod and living out my Adama fantasy.

Expecting this to be insanely complicated and more of a stretch than ES2 and Stellaris together... which feels about right for me.

If anyone has Stellaris, ES2 or DWU and wants to multi, hit me up, haven't played a multi-RTS of any sort in absolutely years.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 25 May 2017, 15:16

I'll have Stellaris as soon as the next humble bundle payment is collected.
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 25 May 2017, 17:16

i got stellaris and love it, but mate - time. id be logigng in to play with you, then quitting in 5mins cos i have to tend to the little uns... so unpredicatble, thus any MP gaming is near nill atm.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 25 May 2017, 18:13

I have Stellaris and no idea where to begin with it
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 25 May 2017, 20:06

I wonder if it would be handy to have a friend who could walk you through it... hmmmm :D
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 25 May 2017, 21:41

Make a video tutorial on YouTube!
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 25 May 2017, 23:29

lel. no. :D

Distant Worlds: Universe is.. woah... *gulp*... it's gonna be a big learning curve, possibly the biggest I've ever faced.

So played some Endless Space 2 instead.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =932522177

Turn 135, I'm the red blob in the middle, I've just had to make peace with Horatio (orange section: a race of clones of the universe's most perfect man) so I can rush to my Eastern border to fend off the Lumeris (green section: a race of mafia-like xeno-extortionists). I'm leading in 3 of the 6 or so victory conditions but am being outpaced in military tech and it doesn't appear possible to avoid war (particularly with the dark-blue Cravens, a hostile sentient robot cloud who hate everyone). Even one of my allies, the light blue Unfallen, a species of sentient trees who colonise via long root-like tendrils that end up spanning the entire system (they're the think-white wobbly lines that reach across most of the map) don't like me passing ships through their single system that's my easiest path in to defeat the Lumeris.

So, deep in end-game and nfi what to do. I'm pulling in good numbers across my main feeder stats, resources growth is okay but is limiting my ship production (which is kinda okay as my ship production is bleeding my manpower) and I've got another 4 planets I can start-up before I get overpop issues.... but with that said, every planet I have is ecstatic (+100 approval rating) so can probably afford to go over my cap. What's happening now is that the AI are fielding bigger ships with more damage, and I just don't have the weapons and modules research to compete at this stage. Perhaps I withdraw within my borders and work on my science victory.

Great game!
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 27 May 2017, 11:58

Gee whillakers the Dead Space series has still got it. Forgot how freakin' good the start to DS2 is.

Now back to Endless Space 2.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 27 May 2017, 13:19

DarkMellie wrote:
25 May 2017, 20:06
I wonder if it would be handy to have a friend who could walk you through it... hmmmm :D
You never play games at normal times :lol: But yeah I'd be keen
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 27 May 2017, 13:35

Mate I'm mad on Endless Space 2 at the moment (obvs). Jumped into Stellaris last night and had forgotten where the hell my game was at. Stellaris is more of a simulator which I like, but ES2 is more of a game with clearer objectives (which honestly makes it easier to play).

I'm on my 5th campaign as I get to know all the major factions, playing as Riftborn. They create their own populations, have an Industry and Science focus (arguably the two most powerful elements of any 4x) and can create wormhole singularities that give you 100% boosts to production. They also don't grow Manpower, so occasionally after going crazy with fleet-creation you need to generate some manually (uses up all industry each turn and gives you 50% of it back as manpower). With lots of tech unlocked I currently control 16 systems out of a max of 16 (before penalties) with a command power of 22... means I can roll with some huge fleets with 20k+ hitpoints and high-damage output).

Each race is so obviously, amazingly different.

Played some more Distant Worlds too. I can see what it does and how some of it works, the only thing I'm struggling with is the automation... what should I and shouldn't I automate, it's all so crazily complicated. Also kinda annoying how everything is in orbit so you can't stare at your planet and ponder as it will quickly leave the screen. Also dig that due to the automation, there's a gameplay element that is perfectly normal of just taking control over a single ship and, say, doing bounties. You literally play the one ship while the universe goes on entirely without you. Reading the reddit forum for it, apparently it gets easier as the game goes on to play manually so I dunno... if I can drag myself away from Es2 I might find that out.
0 x