Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Disco

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by Disco » 22 Aug 2017, 10:15

DarkMellie wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 10:00
They just don't open. I click open, nothing happens, sometimes the game will go back to the 'connect' screen.
Weird, try refreshing your UI?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 22 Aug 2017, 23:41

Worked tonight on the third restart. Weird.

Escape from Tarkov lets you play PVE and Offline during beta which is a great time to figure shit out. Maps are massively sprawling affairs and the aim of each level is to find a bunch of loot and then extract at one of the small number of exits from each area.

You can also play as a 'Scav' (scavenger AI) in a multiplayer server. Other AI Scavs won't shoot you but if you shoot them you're marked like any other player. Players will also kill you and as the Scav you spawn with random weaponry. Anywho, so on a Scav playthrough there was a bunch of gunfighting but I only saw one person to kill (which I did) and then did 3 laps of the factory looting all the bodies. The other player or players must have extracted because the place was empty. Coolest thing is, you get to keep everything you find and transfer it to your main character. This includes the scavs starting gear. And suddenly I understand how it all works... initially I wonder why on earth you'd take your only decent weapons and armour into a server with such a high chance of losing them. But now, I can take in one of my 3 shotguns or one of my many pistols and know that if I lose them I can always do a scav round and earn some back (obviously i'd still need to extract as Scav and you can only play that mode once an hour).

So with all you PUBG peeps (upwards of 13 steam friends a night still playing... TF2 never even got close to this) do you all Discord or TS together? I'm getting lonely in my playthroughs.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 23 Aug 2017, 09:08

DarkMellie wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 23:41
So with all you PUBG peeps (upwards of 13 steam friends a night still playing... TF2 never even got close to this) do you all Discord or TS together? I'm getting lonely in my playthroughs.
I'm usually on with either other mates or family... always on Discord.
I'm thinking I will start using the Player Attack discord channel for voice again so others can come join us if we aren't a full team.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 23 Aug 2017, 09:26

DarkMellie wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 23:41
I hate Discord, I connect with a few friends on TS mostly.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

jambo

Post by jambo » 23 Aug 2017, 11:11

Why do you hate Discord?

I use it for a few groups and it's super easy for organising everything. We already use it in place of IRC and Steam chat, so we just slap on whatever voice rooms we need for games.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 23 Aug 2017, 22:18

So that's a 'knife-run' in Escape from Tarkov.

You equip just your knife and your container (each tier you can buy the game at comes with a container which saves whatever is in there if you die)... and then run through the level looting corpses and opening up military boxes hoping for a good gear spawn (I managed to pick up a bunch of bullets which was handy).. Grab as much loot as you can then extract.

Did that tonight, got a single player kill and earned 11k+ XP in a single run (straight to level 5). Have repeated this a stack of times and my inventory is chockers.

Best of all, I found a rail to mount to my AK in the insanely detailed gunsmith mode... can finally attach my red-dot sight!

Further to the detail, you need to drag bullets onto magazines in order to fill them, then pack your magazines in your pockets or vest in order to use them (which is cool, love that you can't magically pull ammo out of thin air).

And a random Tarkov image now that I've got Imgur sorted out...

Not normally a fan of DevilDog, but this 'John Wick' playthrough of factory is pretty awesome... note how he's constantly filling clips for his pistol. He's doing this so he only has to carry three clips on him that can be stolen, and then just refills it from the bullet supply in his Gamma container. Means he's only risking 3 clips instead of a bunch of full clips and bullets as they'd be a huge loss.

0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 24 Aug 2017, 12:24

Australian servers will be up within the next few days for Escaoe from Tarkov. Great reason to jump in!
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 24 Aug 2017, 13:13

I am definitely interested in Tarkov, but $57 AUD for the standard edition of a game and it's not on Steam as far as I can see.

Using their own launcher?
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 24 Aug 2017, 15:21

Yes. Works just fine. No clear plan for handing out keys in the move to Steam either, I'm just trusting that they'll do that for early adopters and wanted to play the game badly enough to jump in now.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 24 Aug 2017, 19:18

I wouldnt buy it yet, there's ssome glaring issues with the game that i can see:

* loot is always in the same spots, that means each map has just a few military crates really worth checking
* the best gear seems to come from killing players/ai (kil an ai and you basically get a free shotgun or ak)
* the exits are always in the same spots

Basically there's no incentive NOT to just run to the nearest exit, camp it and take peoples shit rather than grubbing around picking up dollar bills and stray ammo for 2 hours per match. Add to that the fact that the gunplay and movement is still very clunky, the sound is not particularly informative and all you're really doing is farming gear so you can hoard it while you go farm more gear... for... what?

It seems like theres plenty of potential there but atm after spending a night playing it i think it will get rarely touched and i'll just stick to PUBG. It's really made me see how much unnecessary bullshit there is in these games that serves no purpose.

I was really expecting to get in and have to search for clues etc to find the exits and have it be a little different every time via some sort of modular exit spawning system but it's just not. Hell by the time you figure out you need to buy a map you dont even need one because you've just said "wtf, ill just google this shit".
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 24 Aug 2017, 20:05

Yeah I hear you Neko, but disagree on a few points.

There's more than factory is the first thing, not that you've said that but it's what most people play. Yes stuff is in the same place but what do you mean about 2 hours per match? I can join a server, clean and sweep in under 10 minutes and extract then run that over and over. Once I have enough weapons to afford losing some (and selling some others) I go in armed and go to take out players and scabs.

The extraction system does need work, even if it were just a set number of exits but only one or two work each match would be enough to deter extract-camping.

Sound works horizontally but is awful vertically, I'm sure that will be patched soon. Gunplay is fantastic imo.

As to farming gear for more gear... seems no less crazy than winning chicken dinners, I think both have a purpose.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 24 Aug 2017, 22:11

Observer... creepy af.

Rutger is amazing as Lazarski and the environment you work in... strong SOMA vibes.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 25 Aug 2017, 13:38

Instant fail stealth missions are the ONLY thing I dislike about Black Flag, I haven't experienced this level in rage in a video game in a long time, this is controller throwing rage right here :evil:
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 25 Aug 2017, 18:06

DarkMellie wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 22:11
Observer... creepy af.

Rutger is amazing as Lazarski and the environment you work in... strong SOMA vibes.
i got that on my wishlist, looks really good...
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 25 Aug 2017, 18:21

One of the writers who is fed up with Valve's incompetence posted and leaked what may be a version of episode 3.
It's not hard to find online.

I have zero faith or love for Valve anymore these days, so I'm pretty grateful to at the very least have some sort of closure after reading it.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 25 Aug 2017, 20:18

Darkest Dungeon just came out for iPad.

Swear to god this tiny handheld is just a mini-Steam account now... and I love it.
0 x

Artful-dodgeR
Location: A part of Victoria that is basically South Australia.

Post by Artful-dodgeR » 25 Aug 2017, 22:46

Actually its kinda annoying that there *isnt* Steam for mobile games... It'd be an amazing investment.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 25 Aug 2017, 23:26

Isn't that what the Google Play store and Apple's iStore are?
They are shop fronts to sell games... and that is all that Steam is these days
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 26 Aug 2017, 00:24

Mini mini mini... Darkest Dungeon, XCom Enemy Within, KOTOR, Blood Bowl, Prison Architect, Sunless Sea.. you know what I mean. Proper games, not timer-inspired candy-crushing bullshit like so many others.

F1 2017. FUCK YES. YES. YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Amazing. Taking that 2002 Ferrari around Australia just sounds INSANE. Best in the franchise yet and I've played it for maybe half an hour. They've absolutely nailed it this time around... best F1 game ever made.

In other news;

Prey: anyone played it? Grabbed it, barely touched it and needing inspiration.

LA Noire: long, long time since I picked this up. So good. Love the pace of it and the facial animations are still the best I've seen in a game to date.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 26 Aug 2017, 06:34

DarkMellie wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 00:24
In other news;

Prey: anyone played it? Grabbed it, barely touched it and needing inspiration.
The full game? No not yet.
I'm definitely considering picking it up during this 50% off sale after playing the Demo that they put out a week or two ago though. (Especially now that Bethesda has removed all the shitty AU price gouging from steam on their catalogue of games)

All this time I thought it was just some dumb FPS thingy, and didn't pay it much attention. I seem to remember E3 footage of it a while back featuring you as some galactic bounty hunter or some nonsense. Was pleasantly surprised upon starting the demo to find that this couldn't be further from the final product, and that it plays more like a System shock type of non-linear thing with RPG-lite elements and multiple ways to progress and tackle situations. The story presented in the demo so far is very interesting and provided some nice twists also.

Functionality-wise it plays at a perfect 144fps for me, and in a VERY welcome and surprising turn of events it's a game in 2017 that *actually* has manual/quicksaving and *actually* has an FoV slider.. simply put I was immediately impressed at it being a proper and much welcomed PC port with features that are unfortunately becoming less and less commonplace in this day and age of gaming.
This is how you do a demo and get me to purchase something, and to this day I'll never quite understand why demo's up and disappeared when it still works as a marketing tool to garner interest and sales.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 26 Aug 2017, 08:33

If I get a chance, I'll try to get sombre time in on Prey today or tomorrow and report back. So far I've just played the intro.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 26 Aug 2017, 09:08

Stoibs wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 06:34
Was pleasantly surprised upon starting the demo to find that this couldn't be further from the final product, and that it plays more like a System shock type of non-linear thing with RPG-lite elements and multiple ways to progress and tackle situations. The story presented in the demo so far is very interesting and provided some nice twists also.
Pretty much this. I'm quite far through it and have been very impressed with the tools that you have at your disposal. You never really become a combat god, unlike many other FPS's, although the shotgun is pretty damn powerful once you max it out. It's a challenging shooter which requires using resources effectively and using cunning to exploit enemies' weaknesses. I also get the feeling there are lots of moral choices you can make as you (re-?)discover the gameworld around you, which is very open world (in the confines of the environment you find yourself in)

Some of that sounds super vague but it's a hard game to talk about without giving away key plot lines.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 26 Aug 2017, 13:02

Great to hear, guys, thank you for sharing. Will head right into it next chance I get.

Ok so Escape from Tarkov. There are a few annoying elements, one in particular that's making it really hard to continue.

1920x1200 - If you use this resolution (as I do) the cursor on-screen does not match what you're holding. Inventory management is a HUGE part of the game and just now, i'd looted an AKS, a Skorpion, a shitload of ammo and sellables and my first body armour. Lost a lot more loot as I had to close my search screen because I'd hear footsteps. Really frustrating, especially when I need to load ammo into clips mid-firefight. This is a known issue and will be patched.

Movement isn't great. Walking, fine. Running, fine. Transitioning from running to walking, awful. Getting stuck on things on the floor, maddeningly awful. With my every slot filled with new and expensive loot just now, I died just 20 meters from extraction because my character decides that standing there is easier than auto-mounting the 30cm high piece of flat concrete rubble next to me.

With all of that said, I keep playing. Still prefer it to PUBG too (although PUBG might just be me being tired of playing solo).
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 26 Aug 2017, 15:46

Solo PUBG isn't fun, try Duo's or Squad
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mini

Post by Mini » 26 Aug 2017, 16:33

I'm determined to finish both XCom 2 and TW:Warhammer... problem is that they are both huge games and this is going to take a while...

Agree on PUBG, much funner in squads or duos. I actually prefer duos, seem to be able to go better there.

Played a duos game last night where we got stuck in a house being shot at from the building next door, ended up having to run through the blue stuff after they left as they had the better weapons (And ammo), my partnered died on the run, and I only just made it.
1 of the duo shooting at us died on his way as well... I healed myself up (Only had bandages, took ages... ) then went for a run... had a Scar-L with no bullets, and a micro uzi... didn't think it was going to go very well, but went for the run all the same. Found a couple having a shoot out, ran up behind a guy and gunned him down with the uzi and kept running... Zone was now around the top of the tunnels.
Decided at this point I needed to risk the tunnels to find some ammo, ran down and first room I ran into I saw 2 guys in teh corner, shot a clip off at them hit them both and took a fair bit of damage, so again hid, healed as much as I could then peaked and shot one of them, downing him. Watched where he crawled to and ran across looked around the corner and gunned down his mate. Sadly this was the end of my luck... as I ran out of the tunnels and hid behind a tree, then got shot in the head by someone with a Kar98k. Managed to get a 4th though so was happy with that.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord