Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Dinofreak

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by Dinofreak » 16 Jun 2018, 11:18

Just saw the Destiny 2 talk. I'm level 30 but happy to jump in any fireteams if people want an extra when I'm online. Dinofreak#1853
0 x
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Darius359au

Post by Darius359au » 17 Jun 2018, 09:49

DarkMellie wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 23:47
How is it, Darius? RPS looked on it quite poorly and it was enough to put me off for now. But very happy to hear otherwise!

Destiny 2, campaign complete, DLC campaign started. Such an addictive game.
I like it , could it do with more depth? yes ,especially with the park management /guest side of things,(but I only discovered yesterday that the store have management settings to concentrate on things like fun , shopping etc.) , the dino side is spot on though.
Frontier's already said that there will be updates and free DLC ,like Planet Coaster, next free DLC is supposed to be in the next couple of weeks with flying and aquatic lizards :) - planet coaster started of pretty sparse too and now look at it.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 18 Jun 2018, 09:50

DarkMellie wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 23:47
Destiny 2, campaign complete, DLC campaign started. Such an addictive game.
I got through the original campaign last night, was way over leveled and power for the last mission.
Now to move onto the expansion campaigns, and continue leveling.
I do like the cut scenes and story in the game, to me it shows Blizzard's influence on the game
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 18 Jun 2018, 17:37

290 opens up the weekly Nightfall but would defs recommend 300+ based on my experience on Xbox. You, me, Dinofreak... three-man team!

I'm keen for some Strikes tonight if you are, I'm also near the end of the first DLC campaign (occurs out of the Mercury Lighthouse and involves the Vex).
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 18 Jun 2018, 23:06

I have a sickness... several hours questing with Dinofreak (the Warmind DLC environments are bogglingly good looking) and now I'm grinding Syndicate missions in Warframe on Xbox One. Last night was The Division as well.

Seems I really love my loot-shooters.
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 19 Jun 2018, 08:34

i started playing warframe again this week after ages.
im terrible at it, barely a novice really, but i enjoy it. i need to save a prisoner or something in the "campaign" missions in mercury or something. ive tried 2x alone and failed both times. frustrating.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 19 Jun 2018, 10:42

Yeah I know that feeling! Two things you can do for missions that require stealth... grab ciphers, these will insta-unlock things (I carry 5 at a time). The second thing is to use a warframe that supports stealth (can't recall off the top of my head but there's one that will let you turn invisible for a short time.

Also well worth using resource boosters when you get them. I'd never used them before but last night, working through syndicate missions I had one going and I had so many rare resource drops (building a Mag frame right now as a result!).
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 19 Jun 2018, 11:07

Yeah I’m really bad at warframe too but I do enjoy it occasionally. Is it the Loki that has stealth
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 19 Jun 2018, 23:13

A good night following quests across the Plains of Eidolon.

Just cracked 17,000 kills in total... ranking up seems to be slower than normal... two full nights of playing and still a ways off from the next mastery rank. Odd.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 Jun 2018, 11:13

So the Steam sale is upon us. By the end of the sale I'll have enough steam credit from trading cards that I'll be able to get either Everspace or Tokyo 42. Not sure which to get.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 Jun 2018, 13:11

storm84 wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 11:13
So the Steam sale is upon us. By the end of the sale I'll have enough steam credit from trading cards that I'll be able to get either Everspace or Tokyo 42. Not sure which to get.
Ohh that explains why a few games I've wishlisted have popped up, first time I've bought something in a Steam sale in years.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 22 Jun 2018, 18:48

I've started playing Mass Effect 1 for about the 3rd time after reading such strong praise about the series. I thought it best to begin with number 1 because of how the choices you make carry on and also just to understand what is going on. This time I've given it a real shot and have about 9.5 hours play time.

Does it get better? The story is pretty good but I think I'd rather watch someone else play it because the game play is a bit meh.

With the Steam sales on there are other games I think I'd prefer to be spending time on but don't want a gem to slip away if it really is as good as I've heard...
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 23 Jun 2018, 14:10

I love ME1 for the story... the closing few scenes are just amazing. But yeah, you could easily youtube those bits then jump straight into ME2 (which is a truly wonderful game... despite the disappointing lack of controller support for the PC version).

In other news... Warframe is really the best of the loot-shooters. I love Division, I love Destiny 2, but Warframe has the purest grind, the most delicate and deep systems and the best moment to moment gameplay.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 23 Jun 2018, 22:39

DarkMellie wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 17:27
Fortnite is like... Team Fortress Battle Royale. It's so much more fun than PUBG imo.
I can see it, dying every 60 seconds and no-one using microphones, it's very fun.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 25 Jun 2018, 10:55

I love it when no-one uses microphones :D

Wife is in for day surgery so I'm home with the boys... Lucas is playing Trials Fusion and Tom is just running around giggling.

Prepare yourselves...

Here's a few reasons why I love Warframe.

1. I'm 96 hours in on Xbox and there are still locked rooms on my spaceship, the Liset... I've only just read how I can open one of them using the Nidus warframe who I just yesterday happened to unlock. The notion that after almost 100 hours there are deep dark secrets that you can only wonder/wiki at is really quite incredible. Here's a vid of what I'm talking about;

2. Quests. Most quests once you're past the introductory part of the game require you to work hard to even find them. Some appear once you reach a certain mastery level but even then have other requirements... so really the idea is to grind away collecting mats to craft new things and a happy consequence will be unlocking Quests.... and the quests often have the best rewards. Right now, I'm working on a few things to get The War Within started (firstly because it gives me a blueprint for the Chroma frame - for whom I've already built a special hat, and also gives me a mod for Frost's always-useful snowglobe power that will freeze the infected when they enter it (this is cool because Grineer and Corpus all shoot at you meaning the snowglobe protects you and your objective while allowing you to shoot outwards but the infested just physically overpower you so them being frozen will be helpful), and secondly because it unlocks the personal quarters on my ship. Major quests are cinematic now too, as the DE team triple down on building out the very cool lore that sits behind the action.

3. Systems upon systems upon systems. Sure, partly this is because they've just been working non-stop on the game since release back in 2014 so the layering can be quite confusing... but once you start figuring things out. Last night for example, I put a potato (orokin catalyst) into my Frost frame which doubles mod capacity, then I spent maybe 10,000 Endo and 140,000 credits to upgrade key mods leading to my Frost having 300%+ shields and health. Then it was farming excavation missions to get relics which can then be used to unlock cool parts and blueprints by using them as offerings in another game-type. Alongside all that I ground out some Syndicate reputation, ascending to the 'Intelligent' rank for Cephalon Suda, all the while maxxing out weapons and different frames to build towards mastery rank 7 (which has its own rewards).

4. There's always co-op. Mostly it's through Alerts (bringing players together for timed missions with helpful rewards) and once you have a group going, most people are happy to just keep playing. I was stuck on a quest that required me to loot three rooms... each of these are mini movement puzzles that punish you for mistakes... did an Alert, a dude followed my into my quest mission and knocked over all three objectives in very quick order. Then last night while farming excavation missions, I joined up with a party of Aussies and yeah, just sat on mute sucking up all the rewards.

5. The gameplay. The 'movement 2.0' update changed everything by removing the stamina bar and letting you chain moves together. So a slide to a leap with a mid-air roll then holding aim to glide in bullet time, finished with another roll and slide then straight back into the same combo... it's fluid and flawless. Throw in a crazy... a literally crazy amount of weaponry... THEN, throw in a bunch of other player and it's the most spectacular looking game ever made. No idea how many warframes there are in total now but they all have unique looking and acting powers and having four players cracking them off at the same time never, ever, ever gets old.

Like... fuck me.... look at this, just flick through this vid to get a feel;

6. The tilesets. The environment is all just tilesets so yes, you see the same areas over and over again, but I never get bored. Places like the Void in particular are utterly spectacular, but every tileset is incredibly 'other'ly. Never gets old for me. The Plains of Eidolon are a new addition to the game, a single, massive open map filled with quest objectives, fishing opportunities, and OP Eidolons that only come out at night... really cool place but not somewhere I'd recommend new players to go (as you get lots of new materials specific to stuff you can only do in PoE rather than the mats you need for regular crafting.

All in all, one of my favourite games of all time.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 25 Jun 2018, 12:03

I did love playing Warframe, but my brother (My usual gaming partner) had so many issues getting an account to work (But this seems to happen with everything he needs a separate account for).
And as such I never got into it as much as I would have liked. Will get back to it once we top out in Destiny though I think.

Started Space Engineers last night, well when I say start, I mean we played around for 40 minutes getting us all into the same game and the same general area. And then flew our space ship away, crashed and blew up a few things, and then gave up. I think the plan tonight is to start an actual game and see how we go.

If anyone else wants to join us in accidentally destroying our own things, you are more than welcome :D
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 25 Jun 2018, 23:22

SE is so fun with friends. Could never quite find the right balance (or the right friends for that matter). Felt necessary to increase building speed and inventory size but then it removed some of the challenge... and you never truly start from scratch!

Logged into Warframe on PC which I haven't started up in a few years. I have 500k credits and 405 plat along with 9 warframes. Goddamn. And to think there was a window of time (I missed it by a few days) where you could transfer your PC account to your Xbox profile.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 26 Jun 2018, 09:08

Started playing a little bit of PUBG again after a break from it, really liking the new map, get into fights way faster and there's less of the middle game section I don't enjoy where you can go for 10-15 minutes seeing no one
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 26 Jun 2018, 09:10

Really addicted to a mobile game called Almost a Hero atm... it's an RPG "clicker" style game but with a lot more depth than any other clicker game I've tried. You can choose a number of different rings which do damage when you click on an enemy, but you can also recruit up to 5 heroes which will attack enemies also, each of which has their own skill tree and combo together in interesting ways. The idea is you get as far as you can before clicking a "Prestige" button, which resets your progress back to rank 1 and you gain gems which you can use to buy and upgrade artifacts that allow you to get further. There is a pretty strong subreddit which discusses various strategies, which speaks to the depth that the game has. Out of 1000 levels I'm currently getting up to around the 530 mark so still some way to go. This is after a few weeks of playing it off and on so there is quite a lot of gameplay there.

The monetisation strategy is quite good too, you don't need to spend money to progress (but can to speed things up like a lot of these free games), but every now and then a dragon appears above the gameplay area which you can click for a gold, gems, tokens or artifact shard reward. Every now and then this reward will be 10x as much which you can claim if you watch a 30 second video for another game. These rewards are quite substantial and so can be worth it if you can be bothered watching the video. All of the videos are for other games and I've discovered some other interesting looking ones as a result. (Although I'm a bit sick of watching the lame videos for "Hustle Castle")

Not bad if you like that sort of thing.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Mini

Post by Mini » 26 Jun 2018, 13:04

I saw something about Dauntless the other day and decided to give it a go.
Managed to download the game and do the initial area last night, seemed like an enjoyable game so far, but will be throwing more time into it.
As far as I can tell it is like Monster Hunter with the art style of Torchlight 2... I'm assuming since it appears to be free to play, that there will be some premium content, but I will get annoyed at that when I find it I guess.

Also properly started Space Engineers, and started on the crashed Red Ship start point.
So far we have repaired our ship enough to move it, and have been slowly making it materials and a small base on an asteroid to begin with.
I still don't understand the mechanics of most of it, but it is slowly making sense.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 30 Jun 2018, 15:29

Bought a new Warframe... Octavia.

Holy shit.

Here's her powers;

1. Mallet - rhythmically beats damage into nearby enemies and draws their fire. Damage inflicted on Mallet increases its lethality.
2. Resonater - launches a rollerball that charms foes to follow it. Combines with the Mallet to create a roving ball of sonic destruction.
3. Metronome - grants buffs to those who consistently perform actions in time to Octavia's music. Timed jumped offer the Vivace speed buff. Crouching on the beat grants cloaking with the Nocturne buff. Firing it rhythmically bestows Opera multi-shot buff. Timed melee swings give the Forte damage buff.
4. Amp - Draws power from the decibel level of sound in the area and uses it to amplify a damage buff for Octavia and her allies. It also doubles the damage and range of nearby Mallets.

What does all that mean? YOU CAN WRITE YOUR OWN SONGS FOR OCTAVIA AND THEN GET BUFFS FOR KILLING SHIT IN TIME WITH YOUR SONG.

Example;

Recognise the tune?

Here's an example of what writing tunes into her Mandachord looks like...

Seriously, Warframe just gets better and better. If you haven't played in a while (since before Eidolon) then you should jump back in and check it out. There is SO MUCH to do.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 30 Jun 2018, 19:03

Octavia looks awesome. I think I need her in my life
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 01 Jul 2018, 19:54

I wanted Monster Hunter... but it isn't on PC yet...
So I have downloaded Dauntless, and damn I am having some good fun.
Having a giant hammer that doubles as a shotgun helps... But it is just one of those games that is some good co-op fun.
Game is very similar to Monster Hunter... go out into the wild, kill large monster, rinse and repeat. Groups can be up to 4 players, but early stuff can be done on your own, just takes much longer.

I'm also sure there is some premium content (As it is F2P) but I am too early to have found it yet.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 02 Jul 2018, 16:25

Where did you get dauntless from, mini? It isn't coming up when I search on the steam app.

I also see that Steam is still using USD despite charging GST from today. Lazy, hubristic fuckers.
0 x

linxus

Post by linxus » 02 Jul 2018, 16:52

Are they even charging GST at the moment? I neglected to keep an eye on pricing going from Saturday to Sunday/today.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]