Christmas Traditions

This is where all the random stuff goes
CherryRed

Christmas Traditions

Post by CherryRed » 09 Nov 2015, 20:52

'tis almost the season, and I loooooove Christmas! Would love to hear of any Christmas Traditions you or your family share.

For us, the only real 'tradition' is that we spend Christmas Eve just the two of us - usually a seafood dinner, followed by 9pm mass.

We also usually go looking at the Christmas Lights at some point.

I'd love to create some new Christmas traditions, like a 'Christmas Eve Box' etc.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Sathias

Re: Christmas Traditions

Post by Sathias » 09 Nov 2015, 21:08

Usually just lunch or dinner with my mum, dad, me & my 3 brothers/sisters and their partners and kids. Depending on when my brother and sister are visiting their respective in-laws. Presents as soon as we all get there but really its about the kids more than anything. I usually take my most expensive and oldest bottle of red I've got at the time to try and out-do my dad and brother :P Lots of food, lots of wine, I eat way too much turkey and pass out on the couch for a bit :) I have a pretty chilled and awesome family so its always enjoyable :)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 09 Nov 2015, 23:12

I used to have a Christmas tradition of stay out drinking all Christmas eve and not wrap presents until 1am on Christmas day, that was when I was a terrible bachelor though.

These days its lunch with the family/friends and chilling out on the couch watching random movies or TV, if I'm in the same location as my dad we usually both pass out because we got really drunk together...

My partners family on her dads do breakfast together, both her auntys are divorced, twice for the oldest, so they did breakfast meaning the kids could then go do lunch with dads. while my partner and inlaws could go see mums side of the family.

Really need to figure out some traditions for my daughter, probably shouldn't involve so drinking.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2015, 23:36

We usually do xmas eve at my parents. Greek food galore then do a seafood lunch xmas day at the inlaws. Then go home and hope the kids dont kill themselves with their new toys and try to digest
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 10 Nov 2015, 09:20

I really love the idea of a Christmas Eve Box for kids... it's one gift box that the family open together - I've seen things in it like a new pair of PJ's for each child, a christmas story book, puzzle or DVD, some movie snacks, a new ornament for each child to put on the tree, a letter to each child FROM Santa, etc. You can obviously add anything that works for your family, but the idea is that everyone puts on their new PJ's and the family settles in for some quiet time together reading stories/watching movies etc before putting out the snacks for Santa and heading to bed.

I've seen it done more and more frequently and it seems like such a great tradition - an awesome way to put a little more magic into the night before Christmas.
1 x
Mugsy wrote:
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 10 Nov 2015, 09:56

Christmas eve and Christmas day dinner is alternating with my wifes dads and mums sides (each year they swap). On Christmas eve we always go back to my wifes parents house and open gifts for each other (KK between us 6). Christmas day lunch is always my mums side, different family member each year hosts the lunch while each family member has a task of bringing food.

My wife and I go see Christmas lights all over Melbourne randomly throughout December. Other than that, no real traditions now that we've moved out by ourselves.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 10 Nov 2015, 09:58

Disruptor4 wrote:My wife and I go see Christmas lights all over Melbourne randomly throughout December. Other than that, no real traditions now that we've moved out by ourselves.
I really like looking at Christmas lights, the effort (and money!) some people put in is amazing and something they should be very proud of.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Mini

Post by Mini » 10 Nov 2015, 10:35

We have started travelling to my parents place to spend Christmas Eve with them. That way they get to have a morning of waking up and seeing the kids get there presents :)

We usually do the family dinner as something on Christmas Eve, this year doing our Kris Kringle on Christmas Eve

Then we head off just after lunch on Christmas day and have tea with my in-laws.

Has worked really well because the kids get to sleep in their own beds Christmas night and are then home with there toys, no more travelling around
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 10 Nov 2015, 11:01

CherryRed wrote:
Disruptor4 wrote:My wife and I go see Christmas lights all over Melbourne randomly throughout December. Other than that, no real traditions now that we've moved out by ourselves.
I really like looking at Christmas lights, the effort (and money!) some people put in is amazing and something they should be very proud of.
There is at least one place in Melbourne that i know of that the council pays for the majority of their power usage during the period that the lights are on.
1 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 10 Nov 2015, 11:02

That's a good idea Mini...

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it!) neither of our families are local - it's a 2,000km round trip to get to my folks and a 300km round trip to get to Disco's.

Initially every Christmas was a 'shit fight' after we met, as Disco is an only child so his Mum seemed to have the opinion that she only has one child but my mother has three, therefore we should spend every Christmas with her as my mum as 'other children' she can spend it with (nevermind that I might actually want to spend Christmas with my fam bam). We have been together nearly 6 years and have so far only had one Christmas with my parents.

Anyway, we have now made it clear that we are do a three year rotation - essentially we promise that at least once every three years, each family will get the opportunity to have Christmas with us, whether it be at their place or ours - and one of those three years is ours to do with as we please, starting this year. We decided to do a Christmas Cruise this year, 10 days to the pacific islands, completely disconnected and we can't wait!
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 10 Nov 2015, 11:28

Oh, I'm also organising e-cards to be sent out automatically on Christmas morning so our family all get a personalised message from us on Christmas Day :)
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

jambo

Post by jambo » 10 Nov 2015, 12:56

We always set the tree up on the day of the Adelaide Xmas Pageant.

The day is normally my wife's family over for breakfast and then heading off to my side of the family for lunch. Then if we have enough energy, visiting some extended family.

We're also starting a new tradition with our mates this year, now that we both have kids. Going to get the boys xmas themed pyjamas and a kids movie each, then have a movie night on Christmas Eve.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 10 Nov 2015, 13:15

jambo wrote:We're also starting a new tradition with our mates this year, now that we both have kids. Going to get the boys xmas themed pyjamas and a kids movie each, then have a movie night on Christmas Eve.
That sounds similar to the Christmas Eve Box idea :)
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 10 Nov 2015, 13:28

One stupid tradition we've seemed to develop is that all the men will put a huge slather of hot english mustard on a piece of christmas ham, take a bite and then try to not react to the mustard.
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 11 Nov 2015, 15:14

My christmas tradition is Bah, Humbug. :)
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 11 Nov 2015, 15:15

Nitephyre wrote:My christmas tradition is Bah, Humbug. :)
You suck - this is a grinch-free-zone, be gone with ye! :D
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

.♥. Cupcake .♥.

Post by .♥. Cupcake .♥. » 11 Nov 2015, 21:11

Hmm this year will be different, first year as a married couple and we're trying to split Christmas across 2 states. We're roadtripping to SA via the great ocean road the week before Christmas, then actually driving back to Melbourne ON Christmas day to get back in time for my family's annual dinner and 'grandma's raffle' (where we all get a random number to coincide with a random gift) as a fun thing.

Normally it's a huge family gathering on Christmas Day, and a big dinner at night with the raffle :) Then Boxing Day was when we used to open presents. But over time I've got more impatient..
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 11 Nov 2015, 21:39

.♥. Cupcake .♥. wrote:and 'grandma's raffle' (where we all get a random number to coincide with a random gift) as a fun thing.
That is a cool idea... I'm pretty sure we are doing steal KK this year...
Take it in turns choosing a present from the pile, but if you like what someone else has you can take it from them...
I can't see it ending well..
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 11 Nov 2015, 22:18

Didn't they do that in the office?

I haven't seen too many Kris Kringles, even normal ones, end well unfortunately. Generally at least one person breaks the 'rules' and makes others upset.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 12 Nov 2015, 13:25

KK is kinda stupid if you ask me as the person literally just asks who they've got what they want lol.
I think Christmas is a bit of a farce these days. I would think it'd be better without the presents, but that's just me.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 12 Nov 2015, 13:28

Uhh, who asks the person what they want?! You just get something they would be generally interested in or have mentioned previously.

The main draw with xmas for me these days is catching up with family and having a few big meals over a few days. Any presents are a bonus
3 x

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 12 Nov 2015, 13:43

jambo wrote:Uhh, who asks the person what they want?! You just get something they would be generally interested in or have mentioned previously.

The main draw with xmas for me these days is catching up with family and having a few big meals over a few days. Any presents are a bonus
That's the adult way of looking at it :P
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 12 Nov 2015, 13:46

2 weeks off work, but the kids are home so no resting here
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 12 Nov 2015, 14:09

CherryRed wrote:
Nitephyre wrote:My christmas tradition is Bah, Humbug. :)
You suck - this is a grinch-free-zone, be gone with ye! :D

:lol:
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Celticangel82

Post by Celticangel82 » 14 Nov 2015, 16:57

Our family tradition since we were kids, is to always invite someone less fortunate over for lunch. No matter where we are or if we are without family, we still do it.
0 x