Early Warning: Class Removal

Welcome to the NWN forums!
André Axe'm

Early Warning: Class Removal

Post by André Axe'm » 22 Dec 2018, 19:59

After thinking about it for around a year, I think I should actually say something as I can't think of a good reason not to do this...

I am intending on phasing out the Divine Champion (Evil) and Elemental Warrior classes, whenever I get around to it.

"Why do you want to remove classes?"
There is an engine limitation that I was not fully aware of when I wrote the Mythic Levels system. When I added the 4 Invocation classes, the code became too big to compile. I managed to cut just enough stuff out to get it to work.
I would like to make the Invocation classes a bit less painful to play at some point, and adding any more feats will break the Mythic Level code.
Theoretically I should be able to rewrite the system to avoid the limitation. But that will be hard work. I'll probably have to do it eventually, but see the next point as well.

"Why those classes?"
They are both a bit buggy, not very good and similar to other classes.
Divine Champion (Evil): On the off chance anyone ever found something to use Smite Good on, they would have discovered that its hardcoded to only use Blackguard levels. Very similar to Divine Champion (Good).
Elemental Warrior: You can select different elements for Imbue Weapon. Doesn't matter which, as they all bypass resistances and weaknesses for some reason. Very similar to Eldritch Knight.

"But I want to play those classes!"
Since they are both very similar to another class, I'm intending on moving some functionality into those other classes.
Divine Champion would be made any alignment, but you would choose between Lay on Hands and Smite Evil, or Death Armour and Vampiric Strike.
Eldritch Knight would gain the Arcane Spell Failure reduction bonuses, and have some way of replicating Elemental Warrior's damage buff (but in a non-buggy way). (Also tempted to rename the 'Eldritch' bit, as it doesn't seem to fit.)
0 x

André Axe'm

Re: Early Warning: Class Removal

Post by André Axe'm » 28 Dec 2018, 13:43

This will not cause those characters to be removed or locked from use.
The abilities will still work (if they currently actually work).
It should only stop you from levelling up in the removed classes.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 28 Dec 2018, 13:54

I know I haven't played for a while, but reading this, my only hesitations are alleviated by your proposed changes in the last section :) I used to have a Wiz/EK/EW build, but on this new server I changed it to Wiz/EK/Duelist. And I have had evil builds that use Divine Champion, but changing Divine Champion to be all alignments would fix that limitation.

So thumbs up from me :)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

vorly

Post by vorly » 09 Jan 2019, 13:12

I propose another for the chopping block would be Frenzied Berserker. I don't think it distinguishes itself enough from a Barbarian. Open to other peoples thoughts though. I feels it's like a prestige barb to escape xp penalty just not as good as the real thing. It forgoes DR/Defence for negligible damage. Not very attractive in my opinion.
0 x

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 09 Jan 2019, 15:56

Barbarian is a bit of a top heavy class, in that you don't get a lot of the benefits until you invest a significant amount of levels.
Frenzied Berserker however is missing a semi-useless class feature of Unending Frenzy, as it can't really be coded. It does get Inspire Frenzy though, which gives it a slightly different utility to Barbarian. I'm not really sure a lot of people would call an extra attack per round "negligible damage".
Mechanically the two classes are rather similar, but that can be changed. Thematically, they should be different, but the mechanics don't reflect that.
0 x

vorly

Post by vorly » 09 Jan 2019, 16:05

Fair call, I missed the extra attack per round.

Ending frenzy always confused me - you'd want to have a low will save to keep frenzy active?
0 x

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 09 Jan 2019, 17:12

Remove Frenzy is something you manually use, so that you stop the life loss out of combat. But after a while, the life loss it negligible anyway.
0 x