List of issues

Want a new group or a setting changed, this would be a good place to ask.
NoobyMcNoobnoob
Posts: 337
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:36

Re: List of issues

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 05 Nov 2015, 23:46

yeah cept i dont facebook, tin foil hat reasons
0 x

User avatar
Spooler
Posts: 772
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 17:42

Re: List of issues

Post by Spooler » 05 Nov 2015, 23:54

NoobyMcNoobnoob wrote:yeah cept i dont facebook, tin foil hat reasons

So you have a sign in system that allows comments from local users (forum accounts) and one that allows facebook commentors on the front page.

That'd be the most logical approach imo.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

NoobyMcNoobnoob
Posts: 337
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:36

Re: List of issues

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 05 Nov 2015, 23:57

Spooler wrote:
NoobyMcNoobnoob wrote:yeah cept i dont facebook, tin foil hat reasons

So you have a sign in system that allows comments from local users (forum accounts) and one that allows facebook commentors on the front page.

That'd be the most logical approach imo.
sounds good that way
0 x

User avatar
Giblet
Posts: 37
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 18:28
Location: Brisbane

Re: List of issues

Post by Giblet » 06 Nov 2015, 01:05

Spooler wrote:
NoobyMcNoobnoob wrote:yeah cept i dont facebook, tin foil hat reasons

So you have a sign in system that allows comments from local users (forum accounts) and one that allows facebook commentors on the front page.

That'd be the most logical approach imo.
Yeah, that would be great. Allow forum members to comment while allowing non-members to comment without having to sign up to the forums. Unless the website is wanting to attract members that way. Either way would be good.
0 x

User avatar
jambo
Posts: 703
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 00:25
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by jambo » 06 Nov 2015, 01:20

Would it be possible to have an option to display more posts per page?

I always like more than most people, even up to 100ppp on some forums.


Also is it easy enough to get avatars on the left hand side of the forums? I'm assuming that's just a skin.
0 x

User avatar
Nacimota
Posts: 300
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 22:45
Location: Queensland
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by Nacimota » 06 Nov 2015, 01:45

So three or four days ago, after we had first heard that GoN was going down, we were looking into alternatives for forums and PirateEggs and I decided to throw one together because there didn't seem to be any viable alternatives at the time (kbm.io doesn't look like it will be open until next year, and while I think Player Attack was mentioned somewhere, there was no forum at the time).

We had a few people sign up but it looks like Player Attack is now the place to be post-GON. Makena - who I've basically been following around on the internet for the last five years - sold me on coming to Player Attack by making these points:
  • Because you guys are running an actual news site here, you're probably more committed to running these forums long-term than PirateEggs or myself would have been
  • The forums here are more likely to be continually active as the news content will most likely stimulate the forum
  • There already seems to be more users and more activity here as it is and it definitely seems to be where everyone on the GoN forums is planning to go
So yeah here is definitely the place to be, I think. I feel a little bit silly/embarrassed for working on our forum in the first place, so in an attempt to relieve that feeling, I would like to share some of my thoughts and experiences from the past few days, as it relates to issues raised in this thread (you may already know all this stuff, but I figure there's no harm in me posting it anyway).

Skin
I'm sure we'll see a new skin that fits in with the Player Attack homepage or something, but I'd ask you to consider leaving prosilver enabled as an optional (non-default) theme. I actually really like it - apart from the avatars being on the right, which I'll get to shortly - and as Disco already alluded to, it's a really mobile-friendly theme.

Moving the avatars over to the left (where they belong, in my opinion) isn't too difficult to fix in prosilver (if you care to, which you might not if you're building a new theme from scratch). It basically involves some very minor changes to two stylesheets and two template files. This guide is out of date but it gives a rough idea of what needs to be done. In our case, I also decided to change the diagonal "Online" banner to a text indicator like on GoN, as the banner gets covered up by avatars in certain situations.

If you do decide to build a theme from scratch, you might want to base your theme on prosilver by using template inheritance, which could save a fair bit of work if you want to keep a relatively similar structure.

Custom tags (youtube etc.)
Just a note that when we first tried to do this via the custom bbCode section of the ACP, we got hit by HTTP 403 errors which was the result of mod_security in Apache.

Quick reply
  1. Go to ACP > Forums and click the edit button next to the forum you want to enable quickreply on
  2. Under General forum settings, set Enable quick reply to Yes and click Submit.
As far as I know, you have to do this manually on every forum; I'm not aware of any method involving the ACP to set them all in one go.

Posts per page
Jambo brought this up with us as well, and I agree that the default 10 is way to low. Most forums typically have it set around 20-25 (we went with 25). You can change it under ACP > General > Post settings > Posting > Posts per page.
Last edited by Nacimota on 06 Nov 2015, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
CherryRed
Posts: 1999
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 19:13
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: List of issues

Post by CherryRed » 06 Nov 2015, 06:31

Spooler wrote:
Giblet wrote:Is there going to be a way to comment on news articles without having to log into facebook?

This would be nice I imagine player attack is going to get a little bit of a tweaking to adjust to the new forum community it picked up pretty much over night. So i could see this happening, forum ingegration with a "sign in using facebook feature" to get the best of both worlds.
Sign in with facebook becomes an issue when the place you primarily access this place from is work, and Facebook is blocked, you cannot even sign into anything using your facey credentials... so yeah, I also support being able to do this without having to log into facey.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

User avatar
CherryRed
Posts: 1999
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 19:13
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: List of issues

Post by CherryRed » 06 Nov 2015, 06:34

Nacimota wrote: So yeah here is definitely the place to be, I think. I feel a little bit silly/embarrassed for working on our forum in the first place, so in an attempt to relieve that feeling, I would like to share some of my thoughts and experiences from the past few days, as it relates to issues raised in this thread (you may already know all this stuff, but I figure there's no harm in me posting it anyway).
Don't feel silly... like you said, when you started to set it up there was no alternative on offer. I had no idea you were doing that (not sure if I missed a post, or if it hadn't been mentioned) but I personally think it was a really thoughtful thing to do and just shows that you are yet another person serious about keeping the community together. Thanks for doing what you did, even if it didn't take off in the end.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

User avatar
Nacimota
Posts: 300
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 22:45
Location: Queensland
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by Nacimota » 06 Nov 2015, 08:02

CherryRed wrote:Don't feel silly... like you said, when you started to set it up there was no alternative on offer. I had no idea you were doing that (not sure if I missed a post, or if it hadn't been mentioned) but I personally think it was a really thoughtful thing to do and just shows that you are yet another person serious about keeping the community together. Thanks for doing what you did, even if it didn't take off in the end.
Thanks, Mrs. Disco :) I think the issue there is simply that we didn't put enough effort into promoting it outside of IRC. It was mentioned casually once or twice on the forums and not at all on the news comments (where I now understand a lot of the discussion took place).
0 x

User avatar
dotarray
Site Admin
Posts: 181
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 16:24

Re: List of issues

Post by dotarray » 06 Nov 2015, 08:44

Nacimota wrote:So yeah here is definitely the place to be, I think. I feel a little bit silly/embarrassed for working on our forum in the first place, so in an attempt to relieve that feeling, I would like to share some of my thoughts and experiences from the past few days, as it relates to issues raised in this thread (you may already know all this stuff, but I figure there's no harm in me posting it anyway).
Thank you, Nacimota. Don't feel silly at all! The fact you were prepared to put the effort in for the community is really admirable - and you obviously learned a bunch about phpBB in the process :P (Thanks for the tips!)

As Kingsley/Punkley/UgLyPuNk mentioned elsewhere, he's in Japan right now (bastard), and he's the guy who handles most of the back-end/coding/programming stuff. Tricky to do that on his hotel room internet connection, so we might be stuck with this for a week or so. I can make some changes - first task is quick reply and more posts-per-page - but in the interests of not setting the place on fire, I should probably stay away from tweaking too many things.

I'm also going to edit the top post in this thread with a current(ish) list of Things We Need To Work On, complete with things already crossed out because we've done them. Keep the suggestions coming, this is - obviously - a hurriedly thrown-together thing right now, so we need your help to mould it!
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

User avatar
kharis
Posts: 3083
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:59
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by kharis » 06 Nov 2015, 09:46

if you guys need any help with the themes or phpbb stuff in general i'm happy to help out. Setup a few forums for guilds and whatnot
0 x

User avatar
SuBw00FeR
Posts: 109
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 21:47
Location: Where you aren't.
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by SuBw00FeR » 06 Nov 2015, 09:56

Thanks for fixing my name :D
0 x
Image
Main PC: i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz - 4x4GB Corsair RAM - SLI'd G1 Gaming GTX 980 - MSI Z77 MPOWER

User avatar
DarkMellie
Posts: 1441
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 22:36
Location: GoNer

Re: List of issues

Post by DarkMellie » 06 Nov 2015, 10:31

Nacimota, you're a bloody champion for thinking of us and doing all that groundwork. Sorry from me that I didn't even know you'd done so!

And yeah, I like PA because of the news frontpage and because it's run by people we know (or know of).
0 x
Image

User avatar
Chucky
Posts: 111
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 17:42
Location: Bris-Vegas!
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by Chucky » 06 Nov 2015, 11:04

jambo wrote:Would it be possible to have an option to display more posts per page?

Also is it easy enough to get avatars on the left hand side of the forums? I'm assuming that's just a skin.
+1000000 to these two requests! :)
0 x
Image

User avatar
Punkley
Site Admin
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 16:21
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by Punkley » 06 Nov 2015, 11:21

Hi Chucky,

Done and done
0 x

User avatar
jambo
Posts: 703
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 00:25
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by jambo » 06 Nov 2015, 11:23

My request goes ignored, then Chucky's is put in place within 15 minutes

Image
0 x

User avatar
Nitephyre
Posts: 780
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 10:32
Location: ormeau@gc.qld.au

Re: List of issues

Post by Nitephyre » 06 Nov 2015, 11:29

Hooray for Leftatars! :)
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

User avatar
Punkley
Site Admin
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 16:21
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by Punkley » 06 Nov 2015, 11:30

Jambo, they were your suggestions (and are done), I was just saying hi to an old friend Chucky.
0 x

User avatar
jambo
Posts: 703
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 00:25
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by jambo » 06 Nov 2015, 11:32

Punkley, I was joking ;)
0 x

User avatar
Punkley
Site Admin
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 16:21
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by Punkley » 06 Nov 2015, 11:34

jambo wrote:Punkley, I was joking ;)
Oh good :)
0 x

User avatar
Punkley
Site Admin
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 16:21
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by Punkley » 06 Nov 2015, 11:37

Nacimota wrote:So three or four days ago, after we had first heard that GoN was going down, we were looking into alternatives for forums and PirateEggs and I decided to throw one together because there didn't seem to be any viable alternatives at the time (kbm.io doesn't look like it will be open until next year, and while I think Player Attack was mentioned somewhere, there was no forum at the time).

We had a few people sign up but it looks like Player Attack is now the place to be post-GON. Makena - who I've basically been following around on the internet for the last five years - sold me on coming to Player Attack by making these points:
  • Because you guys are running an actual news site here, you're probably more committed to running these forums long-term than PirateEggs or myself would have been
  • The forums here are more likely to be continually active as the news content will most likely stimulate the forum
  • There already seems to be more users and more activity here as it is and it definitely seems to be where everyone on the GoN forums is planning to go
So yeah here is definitely the place to be, I think. I feel a little bit silly/embarrassed for working on our forum in the first place, so in an attempt to relieve that feeling, I would like to share some of my thoughts and experiences from the past few days, as it relates to issues raised in this thread (you may already know all this stuff, but I figure there's no harm in me posting it anyway).

Skin
I'm sure we'll see a new skin that fits in with the Player Attack homepage or something, but I'd ask you to consider leaving prosilver enabled as an optional (non-default) theme. I actually really like it - apart from the avatars being on the right, which I'll get to shortly - and as Disco already alluded to, it's a really mobile-friendly theme.

Moving the avatars over to the left (where they belong, in my opinion) isn't too difficult to fix in prosilver (if you care to, which you might not if you're building a new theme from scratch). It basically involves some very minor changes to two stylesheets and two template files. This guide is out of date but it gives a rough idea of what needs to be done. In our case, I also decided to change the diagonal "Online" banner to a text indicator like on GoN, as the banner gets covered up by avatars in certain situations.

If you do decide to build a theme from scratch, you might want to base your theme on prosilver by using template inheritance, which could save a fair bit of work if you want to keep a relatively similar structure.

Custom tags (youtube etc.)
Just a note that when we first tried to do this via the custom bbCode section of the ACP, we got hit by HTTP 403 errors which was the result of mod_security in Apache.

Quick reply
  1. Go to ACP > Forums and click the edit button next to the forum you want to enable quickreply on
  2. Under General forum settings, set Enable quick reply to Yes and click Submit.
As far as I know, you have to do this manually on every forum; I'm not aware of any method involving the ACP to set them all in one go.

Posts per page
Jambo brought this up with us as well, and I agree that the default 10 is way to low. Most forums typically have it set around 20-25 (we went with 25). You can change it under ACP > General > Post settings > Posting > Posts per page.

I've already fixed a few of these things, I will be doing another skin. .but really it will just be changing the colors to match the Player Attack Purple and adding a header/footer.

So things will stay pretty similar to this.

BTW anything to keep this good group of folks togother is a good thing
0 x

User avatar
Fireslide
Posts: 82
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 17:01
Location: Adelaide

Re: List of issues

Post by Fireslide » 06 Nov 2015, 11:39

Can we get avatars linked to images on web again? I miss my rotating lions and tigers
0 x

User avatar
ginji
Posts: 6
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 11:12
Location: NSW, AU

Re: List of issues

Post by ginji » 06 Nov 2015, 11:39

  • Titles for moderators/admins and coloured text for their name
I can also help with any back end stuff if you want, I've been a web dev for 10+ years now :D
0 x

User avatar
jambo
Posts: 703
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 00:25
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by jambo » 06 Nov 2015, 11:41

Punkley wrote:
jambo wrote:Punkley, I was joking ;)
Oh good :)
90% of my posts are jokes/sarcasm and the other 15% are me getting things wrong.
0 x

User avatar
SuBw00FeR
Posts: 109
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 21:47
Location: Where you aren't.
Contact:

Re: List of issues

Post by SuBw00FeR » 06 Nov 2015, 11:51

Woooooooo the avatars are on the correct side :D
0 x
Image
Main PC: i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz - 4x4GB Corsair RAM - SLI'd G1 Gaming GTX 980 - MSI Z77 MPOWER

Post Reply