Sea of thieves

Lets go build something
boars

Sea of thieves

Post by boars » 12 Apr 2018, 23:20

Everyone knows Rare stuffed this up but here's my 5 cents worth which frankly adds no real new thoughts... :lol:

Such a gorgeous game let down with an epic lack of content and pitiful non-ship combat mechanics.
Didn't get to attempt to shoot another ship as I couldn't find anyone to shoot at or be shot by.

Good:
Smooth engine
Sailing is fun, even solo, easy to control, probably not as advanced as I'd like but it's accessible
Satisfying cannons
Nice weather, even the changing wind adds a bit
Who cannot mention the water... it's great
Free 14 days xbox live pass = try on pc ;)

Bad:
Seemed to have a few random (not damaged) sinking ships with your chicken/chest/loot still aboard
Population on a weeknight is already seeming pretty dead (pc) - I saw one other player all night.
Not much variety in ships
Everything costs an arm and a leg, even the peg legs and there's really not that much variety to buy from. Don't think you can even purchase a single female hairstyle for instance.
No lore or story to make the grind any more palatable.
All major islands look to be mostly mapped out as far as I could tell, named, no real exploration to find new islands of note.
Towns not noted on map - annoying as sin.

Ugly:
Melee combat is atrocious
Ranged combat is atrocious
Variety of on land combat is atrocious - seen one skeleton? Seen them all (well, 2).
Not much consequence to death other than losing a chest or two
*3 quests, content? What content? Grind. Grind. Progression is just rep grinds with 3 factions. Expect new content to add new factions and more rep to grind. 1) Find pig|chicken of X colour and deliver to Y island. 2) Find X island, fight boring skeletons until boss Y skeleton appears. Kill Y skeleton. Pickup skull, return for bounty. 3). Get picture of an island, find island on map, sail to said island, dig up chest at X mark - alternate version is to follow clues and do same thing.
*It's possible I've missed some quest types but I'm willing to bet they aren't much different then those already mentioned. Very cut and paste. Quests contain zero plot/lore/anything of interest
No real character or anything of interest on _any_ of the islands. Find: skeleton/snake/pig/chicken/bird/barrels(with banana/cannon balls/wood within)/ammo boxes/plants ... and that's about all. Ok to be fair some islands have forts... but the forts just contain the above items and really don't contain anything more exciting than a cannon or some other unusable doodads and such.

Wishful thinking:
Be great if there was actual content and by that I mean anything that isn't the same 3 quests over and over.
Heck even a pile of procedural generated islands so that one could perpetually explore new locations would be amazing.

Summary, good for a 14 day trial bash, sailing is quite fun but there's zero long term in this game :(
$100 is ridiculously overpriced. This is currently a $15-30 game at best.
Would be far better playing with someone else, having a crew would be fun, you'll need to talk a lot to make up for the lack of content though!
0 x

Mythor

Re: Sea of thieves

Post by Mythor » 13 Apr 2018, 01:08

We (Player Attack) reviewed it on last week's show.

Re: some points;
Random sinking? Was it raining at the time? Because that can sink your boat. :D
All the outposts have "Outpost" in the name, makes them easier to find. Watch out for islands/rocks not on the map though.

Skeletons come in the basic sword/pistol/rifle/blunderbus varieties but there's also seaweed covered versions that regen health and gold treasure plated ones that are really hard to kill. Might be others, but it's definitely not just 2!

The treasure quests do get more complex later on, having to raise your lantern at certain points, take paces in a direction etc. It is still just digging up treasure chests though, yup. There's some special chests you can find with weird effects as well as smaller trinkets to find just lying around on the ground. They're crazy rare though.

Came to the same conclusion on the price, it's very much not worth the full retail price they're asking. Game Pass is $10/m though and gives access to other games on top, much better value. Will be interesting to see if they add any meaningful content before starting to sell cosmetics.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

boars

Post by boars » 13 Apr 2018, 12:51

That sorry sort of variety reminds me of a panel from the oooooold comic "the noob/cliche quest".

Sadly I cannot find the picture with the 20 types of rats so this one will have to do:

I mean you're absolutely right, there's more than 2.... But ugh. I was really just meaning there's a melee skeleton and a ranged skeleton. It feels like hardly any effort has gone into beyond the initial model.

If they end up releasing cash shop items before any actual content... That should go down well. Much like a sinking ship.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 18 Apr 2018, 19:18

Sums it all up nicely in usual fashion

0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 04 May 2018, 14:04

Look you know for $1 I'm going to give it a whirl, if I throw in the towel after an hour so be it
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

boars

Post by boars » 06 May 2018, 01:27

It's good enough for a couple of hours bash.

It's just incredibly shallow for an ocean... more of a puddles worth of content.

Do enjoy sailing and the ocean effects and mechanics but that's about it :(
0 x