Minecraft

Lets go build something
DarkMellie

Minecraft

Post by DarkMellie » 07 Nov 2015, 18:11

I've got some interest back in the old MC after chasing a few achievements on my 360/XO copies... went and visited the GoN server and it's as mindblowing as ever. Thinking of sticking to PC for mods as some graphics/texture mods make it a whole new game.

Two questions;

1. Can anyone recommend a sexy mod pack (and can you run your personal modpack on mp servers)?

2. Who's with me?
Last edited by DarkMellie on 07 Nov 2015, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

kharis

Re: Minecraft

Post by kharis » 07 Nov 2015, 18:30

1. so many mods for minecraft out there, the two most popular ways to get mods are either through the ATLauncher or FTB (Feed the Beast) (these just make it easier to ensure everyone has the same versions running etc) any of these packs can be put on servers as long as there is access to the files and the server can handle it. Same for texture packs, they are everywhere, realism, sphax and soartex are the ones i usually flit between

2. always up for some minecraft fun
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 07 Nov 2015, 18:35

Excellent! Do we has steam together?

And also....

3. Anyone know of a good MC server (GoN obvs but unsure where and how to claim land anymore and unsure how long hosting will continue)
0 x

MissMurd3r

Post by MissMurd3r » 07 Nov 2015, 18:40

On the GoN server to claim land, you ask an admin to protect the land for you.
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 07 Nov 2015, 18:41

Helloooooo Nurse!

As for GONcraft, go for a big walk or get a TP to some uninhabited land (check on the [url]minecraft.games.on.net:5080/?mapname=flat[/url]). Plop down some diagonal dirt pillars and get one of the lovely admins to protect it for you :)

Hah!, Hi MM :D
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

kharis

Post by kharis » 07 Nov 2015, 18:43

not sure if you're on my list, just add me via my sig :)

GoN has vanilla (which is normal minecraft) and also skyfactory2 going at the moment (through ATLauncher) but yeah I'm not sure how long they'll be up for and if the admins lose access to the web based config there won't be anymore updates happening on them

they should still be able to let you claim land and whatnot on vanilla as they can do that in game (as long as a mod is online). options are to muck about on there for a bit and see what happens or try and organise something else, also if there is a specific mod pack that piques your interest it might be worth looking into that

http://www.feed-the-beast.com/
https://www.atlauncher.com/
0 x

Brewr

Post by Brewr » 07 Nov 2015, 18:46

DarkMellie wrote: 3. Anyone know of a good MC server (GoN obvs but unsure where and how to claim land anymore and unsure how long hosting will continue)
http://mcau.org/

Ive been using this one for years and its very good.
0 x
http://postsofpartridge.blogspot.com.au/
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198014333343]Image[/url]

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 07 Nov 2015, 18:58

Do they have the same kind of territory claiming as GoN?

Hi MM, nice to see you here! I remember the policy from my brief window as admin/xp-spammer, just not sure who is admin anymore... took me a minute to find the chat key last night! Probably won't go GoN though, for what are hopefully obvious reasons :(

Hi Nite! I remember your cobstruction prowess well. What things have you built lately?
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 07 Nov 2015, 20:05

Not to be anti-gon minecraft, but I spent quite a bit of time playing on http://www.addstar.com.au/ Minecraft server (ingame address= mc.addstar.com.au), which was damn amazing. Active playtime there gradually increases the land you can claim, which you can do all by yourself with a golden shovel (which you can get for free from the main spawn). I've got myself a little piece of land there that I keep expanding and working on when the Minecraft bug bites. I haven't been on there in awhile, but every time I pop my head in there my land is just how I left it.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 08 Nov 2015, 10:59

I'm a fan of the gon vanilla server, the dyno map is a great feature and MM and the crew do a great job keeping the server family friendly which is much appreciated, be sad to see it go.

and has anyone tried the windows 10 version of minecraft, from what I've read it's still beta but would interested to hear what it's like
0 x

tacitus42

Post by tacitus42 » 08 Nov 2015, 11:28

I have a server that just sits around mostly. My friends used to jump on every now and then and make stuff. I decided to start my own since the GON one would reset when new biomes/minerals would be released and I always wanted to keep my stuff. I spent hooooours making an awesome spawn for it and a rail network to the 4 main continents and had the dynmap going.
If anyone's interested in building something in a 1.8 server that won't be deleted, you can message me and I'll chuck people on the whitelist.
That said, I have no idea what the big named servers are doing these days so yeah. I just have the same protection that the old GON server had, and McMMO.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197973681314]Image[/url]

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 08 Nov 2015, 12:15

I run a server too, it's vanilla client friendly with a bunch of weird mods. Has a chatbot as an in-game diety. If people want to come hang out it's on:

machinespirit.net
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 08 Nov 2015, 12:40

brimlad wrote:and has anyone tried the windows 10 version of minecraft, from what I've read it's still beta but would interested to hear what it's like
Hi Brim :D I've tried it. If you have played the consoles versions of Minecraft it is very much that. Sadly I don't think it allows you to connect to normal Minecraft servers though, as it uses the "friends" system for playing together, like the console versions do. It might have changed a little since I tried it, but overall it is basically the console version. It does run well and look great though.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 08 Nov 2015, 13:14

I've staked a claim on the mcau server and installed one of the mod packs mentioned earlier (looked for the realism mod but there's heaps of 'em!). So easy to add mods too! And so easy to run different visual packs.

When you say 'console versions' Meare, they're pretty much on parity now, yeah? Except it has the excellent system where you don't have to place objects to craft them, just choose the template and it's done? If, however, you mean console version as in it won't let you use mods, then I'd wonder why anyone would buy it at all!
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 08 Nov 2015, 13:20

DarkMellie wrote: When you say 'console versions' Meare, they're pretty much on parity now, yeah? Except it has the excellent system where you don't have to place objects to craft them, just choose the template and it's done? If, however, you mean console version as in it won't let you use mods, then I'd wonder why anyone would buy it at all!
If you log into your account at Mojang you will get a redeem code to get your Windows 10 copy for free, which you redeem through the Windows 10 store, or Xbox App. I forget which. By console version I mean pretty much all you just said. It has controller support, the easier crafting system, but yes I do not think it supports mods. Though I am not really sure on the last bit.
0 x

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 08 Nov 2015, 13:26

I am pretty grumpy about the whole "windows 10 version" because it's such a Microsoft move. I guarantee we'll see their investment in development shift to make the Xbox and Windows 10 versions the flagship Minecraft versions and the rest of us will end up being left out in the cold. /end angry linux gamer rant
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 08 Nov 2015, 14:13

acegiak wrote:I am pretty grumpy about the whole "windows 10 version" because it's such a Microsoft move. I guarantee we'll see their investment in development shift to make the Xbox and Windows 10 versions the flagship Minecraft versions and the rest of us will end up being left out in the cold. /end angry linux gamer rant
That actually sounds like exactly what they'd do... fairly understandable given how many billions they paid for it!

Thanks for the tip, Meare, will grab my copy just for the hell of it.
0 x

Juice

Post by Juice » 08 Nov 2015, 15:48

I have a different minecraft taste, I want a pvp server. Cas once maintained a server for GoN that was Hardcore PvP and it was some of the best fun I've ever had.

I don't suppose any one knows of a good Australian pvp server?
0 x
I like games, stop by, make fun of my shit some time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Juicenessify
http://www.twitch.tv/juicedanger

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 08 Nov 2015, 16:50

mcaus seems to run a dedicated PVP server.
0 x

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 08 Nov 2015, 16:55

All I know about the GoN PvP server was that there was rarely anyone on there when I connected. I've also heard tell of rampant cheating but I never witnessed any myself.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 08 Nov 2015, 17:14

Yeah people using x-ray cheats were a big problem, from what I remember of playing PVP then.
0 x

tacitus42

Post by tacitus42 » 08 Nov 2015, 18:23

Nacimota wrote:All I know about the GoN PvP server was that there was rarely anyone on there when I connected. I've also heard tell of rampant cheating but I never witnessed any myself.
Yup aaaand yup.
First time I logged in, the spawn area was completely wrecked and there was only 1 other player. They flew around the place before finally coming up and hitting me with a sword so I ran away but they just flew after me and I died haha!
I just thought that was how minecraft PvP worked, so I never really went back.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197973681314]Image[/url]

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 08 Nov 2015, 21:54

I'm thinking that one of the best parts of Minecraft is starting a new map so I might restart the MachineSpirit.net map tomorrow if people want to come play. Any suggestions for a 1.8 seed?
Last edited by acegiak on 08 Nov 2015, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 08 Nov 2015, 21:59

Yeah I think map resets every few months are a must. I get bored pretty quickly if the map stays the same for too long.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 08 Nov 2015, 22:10

jumped on your server earlier. a reset sounds good :)
0 x