Star Wars: Squadrons

A place for all the city-builders, world-creators, transport managers, block-arrangers and intergalactic explorers.
Mugsy

Star Wars: Squadrons

Post by Mugsy » 16 Jun 2020, 07:36

I'm one of the ones who still believe the best space sims out there have the words X-Wing, Tie Fighter or Freelancer in them so I'm cautiously optimisitic about this one.

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Otto-matic Reiffel

Re: Star Wars: Squadrons

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 16 Jun 2020, 12:10

You forgot Freespace and Wing Commander :)

Looks good for a CGI trailer, but being EA I'm sure they'll fuck it up somehow. Probably loot boxes and online multiplayer only with a singleplayer afterthought.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 17 Jun 2020, 15:15

I think they said during the announcement that modifications to ships will be unlocked in game? Sincerely hope so, I don't have time for loot boxes, it's a shitty mechanic even when it's free and cosmetic only. And why can't I just click a "I hate loot boxes" option that just unpacks everything, fucks right off and lets me play the game.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Jun 2020, 08:55

Agree that the implementation of loot boxes has gone somewhat overboard.

There's only one time I don't mind them and that's when the game allows me to unlock things the traditional ways of either hunting them down in the game world or purchasing using farmed up in game credits... and loot boxes are just bonuses on top of all this that may give me what I want earlier. It's the only reason I played Heroes of the Storm... I earn gold to buy characters but sometimes the loot boxes will give one to me something I haven't unlocked in advance. Same with the Diablo 3 gambling feature... the gambling currency cannot be used for any other purpose and it just speeds up my ability to get a gear item. But then D3's (and most ARPGs) gear system is entirely RNG based.

Though, don't play MK mobile mate... that whole game is almost based around RNG. The whole purpose of the game is to unlock different Mortal Kombat characters and variations and then rank them up by fusing duplicate unlocks. You use to be able to undertake the fusing directly using ingame currency but they did away with that and you need to purchase the character packs with a random character in each pack or hope that character/variation comes up in a challenge tower or the ingame shop that refreshes every 12hrs but charges a bit more more for the character to eliminate the RNG.

Out of all the mobile games I've played, I'm enjoying this one the most (the fighting mechanics are enjoyable) so I'll stick with it and luckily for me, there are different tiered character packs, each with a limited number of characters/variants in the pool of options so I'm able to keep on top of the RNG to some degree. Not sure if I'll keep going after I max out all the gold characters though... the next tier up (Diamond) can only be obtained via the challenge towers that last 2-3 months or via the most expensive character packs. They don't show up for direct purchase. Most players will save up their in game currency at this point and wait for a US holiday as the game has sales on the Diamond character packs on these days... but that's a pretty miserable game to play... not unlocking characters or increasing their ranks for potentially months.

Anyway, back on topic... I hope Squadrons does well and that some bright spark at EA remembers that gem of a game, Freelancer and decide to do a Star Wars variant where you undertake trade, smuggling and bounty hunting in space. Maybe we can smuggle loot boxes to a gaming planet with suckers who pay up big for loot boxes.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Jun 2020, 18:15

Finally! Some gameplay footage:

I think it's funny that they had to emphasize that all the cosmetics etc can be unlocked by playing the game.

Was at EB Games today and saw this logitech stick for $49. Tempted to get it for Squadrons.

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/pc/1 ... o-joystick

EDIT: Zero microtransactions, I repeat, zero microtransactions...

https://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-squad ... nsactions/
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 27 Jun 2020, 00:59

Still have my Logitech 3D pro that I bought probably 15 years ago. It has been gathering dust for many years - think the last time I used it was when Battlefield 3 came out. Might get it out again if Star Citizen ever materializes in game form.

Pity really, but most of the games have way better mouse and keyboard support than they used to and if generally better. Outside of full sims at least.

Back on topic, is the game going to be strictly 5 vs 5? Seems a little limited but I guess goes with the Squadrons name.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 28 Jun 2020, 14:25

5v5 for humans but in some of the battles there'll be an undisclosed number of AI ships in there too, to make it more hectic. It does seem small though, especially when the canon Rogue Squadron had at least 11 members and 12 in the old non-canon EU. I'm assuming there's some kind of balancing act there between performance and keeping the possibility of an esports league in. If there's no performance issue with more players I hope they open it up eventually, even if it makes the dogfights ridiculously messy. :)
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details