Elite: Dangerous

A place for all the city-builders, world-creators, transport managers, block-arrangers and intergalactic explorers.
Darius359au

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Darius359au » 02 Jan 2016, 11:32

Just "downgraded" from a Cobra mkIV back to a MKIII ,I liked the 4 especially the gun placement but it just never sort of "clicked" with me - I restarted for horizons and I'm going mainly trader atm ,so I'm more looking for an armed trader than a full combat ship ,(still gotta be able fight ,no ones getting my cargo without eating laser! :D ),and the 3 just feels better at it than the 4.
Thinking of maybe a Keelback for my next ship ,seems it might be able to protect it self better than a type 6 but with less cargo but I'm running rares atm so cargo space isn't that much of a problem.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 02 Jan 2016, 12:31

I don't even know what ship I'm in, but it's whatever the noob ship is >.> Swapped over to my Logitech joystick today, flying now feels 100000x better with me being able to control the ship - found the throttle a bit weird though, now have it set to forward only, so I hope I don't have to reverse any time soon :lol:

Currently flying from station to station trying to get some missions but everything seems too high for me at the minute.
0 x

BishopOz

Post by BishopOz » 02 Jan 2016, 12:38

Woo, there's an Elite thread :)

I flew a bit out to begin with and found I wasn't getting any missions, so went back to the systems I started in and been getting a bunch of missions in that and surrounding systems, a lot of the higher paying missions pit me against 3-5 ships and I get boned within seconds though lol even in my viper, which has some decent upgrades now. Only gripe I have with the game so far is some stations in systems are tedious to get to in supercruise, looking at nothing for 20 mins while you fly to a station isn't real fun.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 02 Jan 2016, 12:43

BishopOz wrote:Woo, there's an Elite thread :)

I flew a bit out to begin with and found I wasn't getting any missions, so went back to the systems I started in and been getting a bunch of missions in that and surrounding systems, a lot of the higher paying missions pit me against 3-5 ships and I get boned within seconds though lol even in my viper, which has some decent upgrades now. Only gripe I have with the game so far is some stations in systems are tedious to get to in supercruise, looking at nothing for 20 mins while you fly to a station isn't real fun.
I don't think I'm far from where I started? But then I have zero navigation skills at all :lol: Beyond pointing my ship and going to warp or whatever it is, I'm clueless
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 02 Jan 2016, 14:17

I'm back from camping tomorrow, these clear coastal nights looking at the stars just get me excited to jump back into my Vulture. If anyone's up for a Sunday flying sesh I'll probably be on for most of tomorrow.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 02 Jan 2016, 14:31

Anon. E. Moose wrote:I'm back from camping tomorrow, these clear coastal nights looking at the stars just get me excited to jump back into my Vulture. If anyone's up for a Sunday flying sesh I'll probably be on for most of tomorrow.
I hope that invitation includes people who have no idea what they're doing, because I'm keen :P
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 02 Jan 2016, 14:38

I've been wanting to jump on with all the green pilots around here for some time now, to help you all with tips and whatnot but it's just been busy because of the holidays.

So yes, I encourage those people. =P
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 02 Jan 2016, 15:37

i know if i start playing the rest of my life will go out the window, let me get a couple of things finished first then i shall wander over
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 02 Jan 2016, 15:58

I have over 100 hours in Elite and the biggest ship I've flowb is an Eagle. Not sure exactly what I've been doing with my time!!!

See you all sunday night. If you want a TS channel go to the GoN TS server, Mellie's Random Games channel and the password is gonmellie. Open to you all at any time for any game.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 02 Jan 2016, 22:26

Anon. E. Moose wrote:I've been wanting to jump on with all the green pilots around here for some time now, to help you all with tips and whatnot but it's just been busy because of the holidays.

So yes, I encourage those people. =P
Epic :d Will see you for some games tomorrow then!!!!!
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 04 Jan 2016, 10:47

Disco we are still waiting for that screenshot of the stations not showing the arrows... :D
Had good fun adding bits of information to the Disco and Moose conversation last night, was funny listening to them.
Also really enjoyed doing exploring, need to sell some more and see if I can get myself a cobra to do some more. Currently using the Hauler, and I don't like it much. To immobile for my liking, need something that can actually fight back if needed.

Also found a nice part of the universe where most of the galaxies are unexplored, so making it really easy for me to make some money, too bad most don't have stations for me to refuel though...

Edit: After looking at ships I might go find myself an Adder for now.
Have the credits and it will get me through till I can afford the Cobra :)
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

kharis

Post by kharis » 04 Jan 2016, 11:18

I have no money and no idea what I'm doing. Closest courier job I could get was 71 light years away and I can't afford to upgrade my engine. Might try a different station nearby for better missions
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 04 Jan 2016, 11:21

Yeah look around at different stations, otherwise choose a galaxy over a few and start flying.
That way you can check places along the way and see if you can do some exploring...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 04 Jan 2016, 11:55

Stick it Mini :P Moose and I netted a cool 5mil each last night!
0 x

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 04 Jan 2016, 12:03

The bulletin boards refresh with new missions every 10 minutes if you can't find one that suits you.

Also, I've found the Diamondback Scout to be a great early ship. Super maneuverable while still having ample firepower and a reasonably sized cargo hold.
Last edited by Vital-Blurs on 04 Jan 2016, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 04 Jan 2016, 12:06

Haha Disco, nicely done... did the mining pay off well then?
I need to look into it again, need to earn myself some money first though
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 04 Jan 2016, 13:07

Mini wrote:Haha Disco, nicely done... did the mining pay off well then?
I need to look into it again, need to earn myself some money first though
My first attempt at mining has not gone well.. outfitted a ship today with my money, went mining with Moose as my wingman covering me, was working well and had a hold full of silver and gold when Moose got damaged and returned to base.. as soon as he did that, I got raided and blown up :(
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 04 Jan 2016, 13:17

Disco wrote:Stick it Mini :P Moose and I netted a cool 5mil each last night!
It was a really nice surprise to wake up to, we did three runs of the Bang for Buck CG last night, delivering fireworks from Anduliga to Cherets (It was a fairly long trip, 230Ly one way, also Celsius Estate is 600,000 LS away from the jump in point in Anduliga, so just the final part of the trip takes about 15 minutes in supercruise). About 36 tonnes made us roughly 500k and put us in the top 30%. When we woke up I realised CMDRs had finished the CG overnight and we were able to collect our 5mil bonus. Disco was over the moon and has since bought a Type-6 Transporter worth 2.5mil outfitted for mining.
Last edited by Anon. E. Moose on 04 Jan 2016, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 04 Jan 2016, 13:18

Ouch... Ah well, you know next time to follow the wingman when he leaves...
I would have enjoyed it more when I was doing it, but I don't have forward/rear thrusters bound to anything.
So it was a bit hard to get close enough.

I'm sold on getting an Adder now, will get me through until the Cobra, and even then I will make the choice if I want it or not.
Maneuverability of the Hauler has annoyed me, struggle to do anything when someone attacks, might need to add a turret to get me through rather than a normal gun.

On that...
What are the best types of weapons to use? Cannons or Lasers or railguns?
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

kharis

Post by kharis » 04 Jan 2016, 13:28

yes listening to you two jabber certainly made my aimless flying more enjoyable, gonna switch from the joystick to the xbox 360 controller and see how that flies because laziness :) if i can figure it out i'll stick with it
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 04 Jan 2016, 13:29

Mini wrote:What are the best types of weapons to use? Cannons or Lasers or railguns?
There are four weapon types: Thermal, Kinetic, Thermal Kinetic and Explosive.
Thermal weapons include lasers, they have unlimited ammo, but tend to overheat more rapidly and do more damage to shields.

Kinetic weapons include multi-cannons, require ammunition to fire, have reload times but generate less heat and do more damage to ship hulls.

Thermal kinetic weapons include the railgun and plasma accelerator, they require ammunition, generate a lot of heat and have a high penetration, they're also equally effective against shields and hulls.

Explosive weapons include missiles and tordeoes, they are virtually ineffective against shields and can be shot down by the player or Point Defense systems but do massive amounts of damage to hulls and can even cause splash damage.

I generally fit a gimballed pulse laser and gimballed multi-cannon, I use the PL to take out the target shields them hit them with the MC to tear the hull apart.
My Vulture currently has two medium 3E Pulse Lasers, these things have crazy penetration so I target the ships power generator and shoot at that, I usually destroy the generator before the ship so eventually my targets just turn into sitting ducks.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 04 Jan 2016, 13:44

I haven't got into the whole targetting points of a ship yet... usually trying not to die...
Might go with atleast a single Thermal and Kinetic, and maybe a turreted Thermal/Kinetic on the Adder... depending on funds.
The single weapon on the Hauler annoys the shit out of me too... doesn't quite have enough of anything for me... Especially when travelling round on my own...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 04 Jan 2016, 14:30

If you're getting right into Elite and have a spare few hundred dollars, buy TrackIR.

Once you have that then the whole world of Simulations opens up to you :D
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 04 Jan 2016, 14:58

hubby had an occulus rift that he hasn't used in ages but i can't use it and wear my glasses at the same time :(
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 04 Jan 2016, 15:04

I have a headset that you put your phone into and it runs like an Rift... wonder if I could get that to work...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord