Elite: Dangerous

A place for all the city-builders, world-creators, transport managers, block-arrangers and intergalactic explorers.
Mini

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Mini » 10 Feb 2016, 07:26

I am currently at LFT 37 and managed to get the discount. So I now have a shiny new Viper Mk IV.

Almost fully kitted out. Just need to go try it now.
Also wondering if I swap 2 gimble weapons for turrets, not sure currently.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 10 Feb 2016, 22:50

Can those who own Horizons please check their steam library? It's completely disappeared from my computer and doesn't even show up in my library. When I search it instore, it's now a 'season pass' and if I press Play Now, it downloads the original Elite Dangerous.

Fairly significant change and I can't find a whisper of anyone else being affected.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 10 Feb 2016, 23:09

Looks like they have changed it to just be Elite: Dangerous now... with Horizons being DLC...
Not sure what is happening though as I don't own Horizons.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 11 Feb 2016, 00:03

Nothing has changed as far as I can tell.

0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 11 Feb 2016, 00:07

Well that's interesting. Definitely gone from mine. Was purchased on the Steam store too so this might be an error.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 11 Feb 2016, 00:18

They recently changed how it works and will be sold, it'll be listed under your DLC for Elite: Dangerous. Don't worry, you still own Horizons, you just launch the base game now.

People who purchase Horizons now no longer get the base game for free, so Horizons has to be bought as DLC or with the season pass, or by buying one of the special editions if you don't own the base game. I'm pretty sure because of this Horizons also had a price drop.

It was done to bridge the gap between new players who purchased Horizons and got the base game for free, and the old players who still had to pay near full price just for Horizons.

Edit: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=230150
Greetings Commanders,

We wanted to get in touch to let you know about a few changes that we will be making tomorrow (5/7/2016) and bring you into the conversation with a little bit of early information.

Since the launch of Elite Dangerous Horizons we have had an incredible response from Commanders in the game. The number of amazing videos, screenshots, player events, CG’s and missions have truly taken our breath away. We are so delighted with the way that the community have taken to the game and we’re super excited for the future releases coming to Horizons throughout the season.

The Elite Dangerous community is truly the most incredible group of players we could possibly ask for. We value the thoughts and feedback from our community and we’re always looking at how we can take that feedback on board. This is why we wanted to give you these details ahead of time and be as upfront and clear of the details as possible. We are all a part of the long term development of the game and we’re delighted to be on this voyage together.

Since its launch we have heard some players say they feel confused by Elite Dangerous Horizons and how the purchasing and upgrading of the game works. Thanks to this feedback we are going to changing the way that it appears in the store and on steam.

To reduce confusion, Horizons will be added as a season pass DLC for Elite Dangerous, rather than an individual product. It’s a relatively small change but it means that on steam and on our store there will now be three options

Elite Dangerous
Elite Dangerous: Horizons Season Pass
Elite Dangerous: Deluxe Edition

The deluxe bundle will include the base game, Horizons season pass DLC and some digital goods.

This will be beneficial in a few ways. First of all it will unite the steam community. This means that we will only have 1 community hub. This is something players have asked for and we’re happy to listen. It also means that the products are clearer for people to understand, reducing confusion, which can only be a good thing!

However, this does mean that Steam Horizons players will have the Horizons portion of their steam game time counter wiped as it moves back to 1 hub (the in-game counter will still work). Nothing will be effected in game but we wanted players to understand the changes and impact fully.

In addition to these there are a couple of other changes we will be making at the same time. The base price of the Horizons season pass DLC will be £25 (or equivalent in other currencies) and will not include access to Elite Dangerous, this must be purchased separately. It will still include the entire season of content coming in Horizons. This means that the current loyalty discount to Elite Dangerous: Horizons will no longer exist as all existing players will be able to upgrade directly to the Horizons season pass.

Finally, by way of a special thank you to everyone who has already bought Horizons before these changes are made, we are giving you an unreleased Asp Explorer gold paint job. And don’t forget, you still have access to the Cobra Mk IV, and this will apply to all players that buy Horizons (and already own Elite Dangerous) before the changes go live tomorrow – new players that get the new deal will not get it.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 11 Feb 2016, 09:03

Went to a random Empire system and did some bounty hunting last night.
Wasn't worried about doing the CG this week as I have kinda missed the boat, so found somewhere close to where I was so that I could get the most shooting in as possible.

Managed to make a bit over 400k in about half an hour, then ran a delivery mission for another 80k, so was a successful night.
Think it was Vank that I was bounty hunting in, so will be back there tonight killing things.

My plan is to start saving for the Vulture now, need a bigger killing machine now I have the taste for it.
If I could get my Empire rank up I would probably grab the Imperial Courier, but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 11 Feb 2016, 09:11

37 hours gone :(

Oh well, 20 minutes in the steam version so time to ramp that up... puts me at 120+ hours overall on Raptr.
0 x

Sathias

Re: RE: Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Sathias » 11 Feb 2016, 09:17

DarkMellie wrote:37 hours gone :(

Oh well, 20 minutes in the steam version so time to ramp that up... puts me at 120+ hours overall on Raptr.
Just leave the launcher open for 37 hours without playing the game ;)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 11 Feb 2016, 10:30

Think I need to buy a HOTAS to get the full Elite experince, my Logitech Xtreme 3D and Razer Orbweaver combo are nice but I really hate the throttle on my joytick, it feels like I'm trying to shake hands with a mouse.

Picked up an Adder the other night give it a rev tonight and do some more deliveries. I tried mining when I got my Adder and really couldn't get into it.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Mini

Post by Mini » 11 Feb 2016, 10:37

Mining is a weird thing to do... I agree...
But I got bored with it and went back to flying missions until I had enough money to buy a fighter type craft...

Remember to hit any of us up if you are on Doug, I am happy to fly around and defend you if required :)
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 11 Feb 2016, 10:45

I can't recommend a controller highly enough. I too used my HOTAS on Elite for the first 100 hours and it ended up being a large part of the reason that I stopped playing. Hunching over it, working the rudder pedals, constantly holding my head steady for Track IR.. it was just too much.

Elite's controller setup is seriously superb with how it lets you activate alternate controls so you end up with very little reason to ever reach for the keyboard... meaning I can play long sessions, relaxed in my chair, clicking right-stick to re-center TrackIR every time I move.

And if you don't have TrackIR, you can click right-stick for free-look anyway!
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 11 Feb 2016, 10:49

Amazingly I play with mouse and keyboard and have no issues at all...
Have looked at my X360 controller, but just can't bring myself to use it.

For me the mouse gives me the control I need, and everything else can be done from the keyboard...
In saying that, I would love one of those Orbweaver style things instead of the keyboard... Would still use the mouse though, just feels normal for me.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 11 Feb 2016, 11:20

Yeah I've been too chicken to go online so far except for the time I ran out of fuel and had a buddy bail me out.

I was just looking at the $70 thrust master HOTAS not ready to go full flight sim gear yet. Maybe I'll assign some buttons on my orb weaver to replace the throttle, the stick is great and having my main buttons all grouped up on the orbweaver is great, although it was a mistake making a side button the jettison cargo button. lost a lot of expesive freight when playing with a cranky baby on my lap last week. But I plan to get into smuggling so I figured I'd need to drop shit and run at a moment notice.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 11 Feb 2016, 11:24

If you are online, get Moose to send you an invite to his private group.
I usually play in it, and that way it is just the people invited to play that are there :)

It is nice having someone else around to help you out, and the Private group allows for that without having the rest of the worlds scum as well :)
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 11 Feb 2016, 14:29

Ooooh yes, meant to ask that. Mooseh, can you throw an invite to CMDR DREDD?

Ta!
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 13 Feb 2016, 08:36

For those that haven't realised new CGs have been released for this week.

Only 2 this week, both federation ones.

1st is bounty hunting again. Okinura space.

2nd is transporting stuff into Okinura (can't remember what)

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mini

Post by Mini » 15 Feb 2016, 08:04

Couple of pictures from last night...

Firstly almost smashing into the side of Moose while we were bounty hunting.

And secondly, this NPC glitched and ended up sideways at the exit slot of the station... He was in lots of pieces when I left the station

Was a good night, and got myself into the Top 40% of the bounty hunting CG
Really need to start looking at the cost of outfitting a Vulture though... The Viper doesn't quite stand up in any sort of fight.
Although I did manage to piss off an Asp Scout and Viper Mk3... killed both in the end, but had to run for a bit while my shields regenerated and to find some security forces to help out
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 15 Feb 2016, 10:48

My favourite screenshot from last night.

The sun starting to rise over Okinura 8 at the resource site.
2 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 16 Feb 2016, 10:36

I bought and outfit a basic trade Python to use for PowerPlay in an effort to fast-track my way up ALD ranks in the next couple of weeks.

So far I've spend about 4mil to fast-track fortifications from Kamadhenu to whatever system needs the fortifications for this PP cycle (https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteLavigny/c ... s_updated/ has links that are updated several times daily to show priority fortification targets for ALD, there's similiar sub-reddits and threads for the other PP factions as well) and I'm sitting on about 600 merits, if I can haul another 1000 tonnes of fortification supplies before Thursday I'll be sitting nicely in rank 4 for next weeks cycle and should be fairly easy to maintain with a couple hours of fortification hauls each week.

Sadly 1000 tonnes is going to cost me 10mil to fast-track, I could wait for the free allotment of supplies I get every 30 minutes but it would take me over 14 hours to fill the 276T cargo of my Python... So basically I have two days to earn 10+ mill and haul 1000 tonnes of supplies across 100LY.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 16 Feb 2016, 10:59

Anon. E. Moose wrote:So basically I have two days to earn 10+ mill and haul 1000 tonnes of supplies across 100LY.
Sounds like we've got ourselves a Smokey and the Bandit situation!

Also can you throw an invite to CMDR Kambel please Moose.

Going to try and hop on tonight depending on how my sickness and my partners sickness is might run some freight and see how my new adder goes.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 16 Feb 2016, 11:06

Yay another commander to fly with :D
If your adder can make it across for the CG it would be well worth doing a couple of trips. Even doing a single trip will get you an extra 200k credits.

This is in the Okinura system though, so not sure how far from you that will be
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 16 Feb 2016, 22:02

What they fuck are FD doing? Horizons (now launchable from Elite but still a separate game to Steam) now requires you to install a downloaded launcher not on Steam in order to play the game.

Are these people fucking serious? Getting very jacked off with their shenanigans.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 16 Feb 2016, 22:13

Not just Horizons Mellie...
I just tried to open ED and got told I needed to download an updated version of the loaded. My copy of ED always opened the launcher from Steam, but I'm annoyed that it requires me to open a web browser and download the launcher separately...
Why can't that be done from steam?
Also it is going sooooo slowly... I'm not even getting 60KB/s...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 16 Feb 2016, 22:20

Luckily was a small file (that required a restart) and then Elite just updated on Steam and now I'm in.

Still, clearly an unintended consequence from their (frankly) fucking stupid decision to cater to morons and change horizons to a season pass.
0 x