Peripherals - Gamepads, Wheels, Flight Sticks etc.

...you guessed it. Any posts that don't fit in the other categories - or any discussions about gaming hardware (including Steam Machines!) - should go in here.
jambo

Re: Peripherals - Gamepads, Wheels, Flight Sticks etc.

Post by jambo » 10 Nov 2015, 12:57

Well he's using his just for XBone at the moment.

Would be nice if you could do that on PC. Surely someone will rip the drivers open soon.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 10 Nov 2015, 12:58

You might be able to create a custom profile in something like Controller Companion (on steam) or Xpadder, to assign key strokes to just those buttons. Have it leave the normal controller buttons/sticks alone, but use a program like those to assign things if they pick it up.
0 x

kablekill

Post by kablekill » 10 Nov 2015, 13:42

Mearehear wrote:You might be able to create a custom profile in something like Controller Companion (on steam) or Xpadder, to assign key strokes to just those buttons. Have it leave the normal controller buttons/sticks alone, but use a program like those to assign things if they pick it up.
Thanks will check this out.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 10 Nov 2015, 13:53

kablekill wrote:Thanks will check this out.
Controller Companion is well worth the $2.99 anyway, and the guy behind it is still adding features to it (he even just added the X360 chatpad support) so I wouldn't be surprised if he adds Elite support to it soon, if he hasn't already.

(but Xpadder might be more flexible with picking up different button clicks, such as those on the Elite)
0 x

kablekill

Post by kablekill » 10 Nov 2015, 14:06

Mearehear wrote:
kablekill wrote:Thanks will check this out.
Controller Companion is well worth the $2.99 anyway, and the guy behind it is still adding features to it (he even just added the X360 chatpad support) so I wouldn't be surprised if he adds Elite support to it soon, if he hasn't already.

(but Xpadder might be more flexible with picking up different button clicks, such as those on the Elite)
Xpadder doesn't pick up the paddles on the elite controller from what I am reading. :(

I think its going to come down to the fact that Microsoft hasn't set these paddles up and there own buttons, but rather short cuts for face buttons.
Last edited by kablekill on 10 Jan 2016, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 28 Dec 2015, 13:39

My thoughts on the Elite controller are here.

I still have my Warthog, it's still the most beautifully designed piece of flight gear I've ever owned.

Bit over my Saitek Pro-Flight rudder pedals but only because I stupidly, stupidly threw out the velcro strip for it years ago, and now it slides all over the carpet underneath my desk. I would actually prefer a twist rudder (but I've permanently loaned my X-52 to a friend).

TrackIR is still working beautifully.

I was gifted a G27 (which would have been nice thanks to the extra buttons on the wheel) but half the casing used to hold the gearstick to the desk didn't come with it. I suppose it would be possible to use the gears from my G25 and just plug those in? Only thing that makes me ask the question is that the G27 doesn't do sequential gears, but they're still just button inputs?

I need something that lets me put the warthog stick between my legs ;) as I get a tired arm in extended flying sessions. I used to have a cat-post but that's gone too.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 28 Dec 2015, 16:48

I can't remember the last time I got out my DFGT. Hell, I don't even remember where I've put it. Never had a good table to attach it to which I probably why I hardly used it.

I did however get a Hori Fight stick 3 recently... pack of two for just under $150. My bro was lucky and got the second one in preparation for when SF5 comes out. Not that he doesn't have his fair share of arcade sticks as he has an old Hori for the PS1/2 that he used on his Dreamcast plus the SF4 TE Arcade Stick from Mad Catz for his PS3. Still, the Hori FS3 is plug and play with PC so we're set for SF5 on PC.

We're sticking it to the console companies this generation for making us pay for online gaming!
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 28 Dec 2015, 17:50

DarkMellie wrote: I need something that lets me put the warthog stick between my legs ;) as I get a tired arm in extended flying sessions. I used to have a cat-post but that's gone too.
http://wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel ... -deluxe-v2

I know this isn't showing your controller, but basically any WheelStandPro could do this if you made your own adapter for the stand. Drill holes into a piece of wood to attach the stick, and from the other side to fit the stand, and and have a home made adapter plate that allows you to use it as a centre post, with a base you can even attach rudder controls to. I used to do this with my old WheelStandPro (which was for my old wheel, but doubled as a flight stick thing too). They are expensive, but that is because that are built DAMN solid. It would last you for life.
1 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 29 Dec 2015, 00:28

Anyone have any experience with a Thrustmaster T Flight X HOTAS? Got a Logitech Extreme 3D but want a HOTAS for Elite and don't want to forkout for the Saitek X52 or X55 yet, the other option is to stick to my Logitech and dust off the Razor Orbweaver I have in a drawer...
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Darius359au

Post by Darius359au » 29 Dec 2015, 11:17

NotThatDoug wrote:Anyone have any experience with a Thrustmaster T Flight X HOTAS? Got a Logitech Extreme 3D but want a HOTAS for Elite and don't want to forkout for the Saitek X52 or X55 yet, the other option is to stick to my Logitech and dust off the Razor Orbweaver I have in a drawer...
I've got one ,works well for elite ,only real problems I've got with it is it could do with more buttons on the stick and throttle ,but what it's got are fine.The other problem is the cord that connects the stick and throttle is short so you cant have them either side of your keyboard unless it's less than 19inch/50cm,(i've got a logitech g110 so got a couple of extra rows of buttons that make it to wide.)

It's easy to set up and once you've set you dead zones ect it's pretty responsive - all up it's a good package and worth it as a cheap HOTAS option.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 29 Dec 2015, 12:25

I've read nothing but good things on the T Flight, seems like a superb entry level HOTAS... might even be the last one you need to buy.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 09 Jul 2016, 17:25

Jesse R wrote:I went overboard a little while back...

Bought one of these lovely couples.

I also went and got a set of these since the stick I wanted (Black Mamba) was not available and VKB don't seem to make throttles either.
Now looks as though the Mambas are being replaced with a couple of different sticks, not sure if either will be good (I kind of like the button setup of warthog and mambas) and they're a long ways off so not exactly an option to use them right now. :(

Having said all that, loving the Warthog hotas setup, beautiful gear.

After tooling around in DCS and Elite, I have quickly realised I need a set of pedals, so have ordered VKB pedals.
http://nerdtechy.com/vkb-sim-t-rudder-m ... als-review

Absurdly priced but they look good.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 11 Jul 2016, 23:05

NotThatDoug wrote:dust off the Razor Orbweaver I have in a drawer...
I have always wondered what they are like to use. Look nice, but I can't justify the cost over just using a keyboard...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

kharis

Post by kharis » 11 Jul 2016, 23:13

i have a g13, feels a bit weird to use, mapped d3 movement controls to the joystick which was nice but couldn't get use to it
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 12 Jul 2016, 08:05

Mini wrote:
NotThatDoug wrote:dust off the Razor Orbweaver I have in a drawer...
I have always wondered what they are like to use. Look nice, but I can't justify the cost over just using a keyboard...
Yeah I got mine for free in a trade with a guy for some other computer parts... I only use it when I'm playing Elite as a companion for my Logitech joystick and I think thats the best use for it, I've tried it with Battlefield and a couple of other games but I preferred the keyboard.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Mini

Post by Mini » 05 Sep 2016, 12:03

Ok... I have been enjoying racing games lately, and the XBox controller just isn't cutting it now.
What are some recommendations for a decent wheel at a budget price?

I probably need to save the money on a GPU more, but I will live with what I have...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 05 Sep 2016, 14:04

Got a price range in mind, Mini?

Generally, bang for buck, look at the Logitech wheels. Anything less than them tends to be garbage, and anything more is heading into enthusiast gear. If you want to use one on an Xbox One and PC, look at the Logitech G920. If you want one that works on PS4 and PC, look at the Logitech G29. Don't freak out if you see a RRP of $499, they can often be found around the place for $300-350. Be aware though that neither of these wheel come with a H-Pattern shifter now, which must be purchased separately. (They do have F1 style paddle shifting though)

If you want cheaper, look around for the last generation Logitech G27 (PC and PS3 only - not current gen consoles). Will do the job perfectly fine and you should be able to find one for $250. This wheel does include a H pattern shifter.

If you want to go even cheaper, before hitting the garbage wheels, look at a Logitech Driving Force GT (DFGT). Under $200, it is the little brother of the G27, but does not include a clutch pedal or H-pattern shifter. It is also a last generation wheel and I don't believe Logitech sell it anymore, but you will find it elsewhere with a bit of searching.

Anything less than these and you will end up with wheels that have only 270 degrees of steering (rather than 900) and poor force feedback.
1 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 05 Sep 2016, 14:26

I was looking at the sub $200 range... and will only be used on the PC.
Don't have a console to use it on.

Will have a look around at the Logitech wheels then
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 05 Sep 2016, 14:47

At under $200 I'd definitely look at the Logitech DFGT if you can find one. I used one in iRacing (and other sims) for many years, and still manage to win races in iRacing with it. It's just more "plastic" than the higher end Logitech wheels, but has 900 degree steering and good forcefeedback. I paid $130 for the one I had, though it has a RRP of $199.

Sadly though, I just looked around for a DFGT and I can't find a new one anywhere :( The only wheel under $200 that I can find that is in anyway "decent" (I use that term very loosely here) is the Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 for $179. That has NO forcefeedback, using a bungee cord system instead, and it only has 240 degrees of steering. I don't even like mentioning this wheel, given how much it is lacking, but it's the only real alternative under $200.

I'd highly recommend holding out and getting a Logitech G29 for $350 or less (don't spend more than that), when you have the money. The difference in quality is worth the price, and that quality makes a huge difference to your experience, especially when you have to take the time to drag out the wheel and set it up each time.

0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 Sep 2016, 06:45

Yeah, the Driving Force GT isn't easy to find. They went for $129 and sub $100 a year or more ago and most places are sold out now.

I bought mine for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. I think I only set it up about 3 times... need to get something to set it up on that doesn't make me arch my back when using it.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

jambo

Post by jambo » 07 Sep 2016, 09:21

I got a DF GT with Gran Turismo 5 as well, thanks JB HiFi.

I don't really need it seeing as I have the G25...
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 07 Sep 2016, 10:09

jambo wrote:I got a DF GT with Gran Turismo 5 as well, thanks JB HiFi.

I don't really need it seeing as I have the G25...
So what you are saying is you might be interested in selling it?
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

jambo

Post by jambo » 07 Sep 2016, 10:38

I would have to take a look at it. I think it's just been shoved in a cupboard, not in the box. Hopefully I still have all the cables and parts.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 07 Sep 2016, 15:47

Mate at work walked past while I was talking to someone about looking for a wheel... he said he has a G25 laying around he doesn't use, is going to think about selling it to me...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

jambo

Post by jambo » 07 Sep 2016, 15:48

Honestly I should probably sell my G25, but I like the idea of having one around, just in case.
0 x