Tabletop Gaming

Grab pen and paper, a dice bag and a bunch of tokens, and settle in here to chat about your real-world gaming activities.
vcatkiller

Re: Tabletop Gaming

Post by vcatkiller » 25 Feb 2016, 16:45

Mini wrote:Is Zombiecide hard for someone who hasn't played many indepth board games?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Zombicide is dead easy. I taught my parents and my sister how to play this when they visited one holiday, and we had everything nailed down really quickly. My sister was helping me move the zombies after only a short amount of time.
0 x

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 25 Feb 2016, 18:17

Yeah I'll second zombicide being easy to teach/learn. Turn structure is really straight forward.
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 26 Feb 2016, 10:38

Mini wrote:Is Zombiecide hard for someone who hasn't played many indepth board games?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

To quote Timotab: "Munchkin is a great fifteen minute card game artfully squeezed into a two hour time frame".

Zombicide is pretty decent but you need to get the latest (Black Plague) to benefit from rule changes that makes things make more sense. And if you are playing with someone who knows what they are doing and are not an alpha player, it does not matter if other people are less experienced because it is a pure co-op game.

I would avoid Risk like the plague. That includes ALL flavoured Risks with the exception of Star Wars Risk -- and that is because it is not a Risk game at all but merely a reskinning of a previous Star Wars game that has been long out of print. I say avoid them because it is 2016 and there are so many better games you can play. Whether you want more war gaming stuff or co-op stuff or heavier or lighter or the like, there is a long, long, long, long list of games that should fill that slow in your collection before Risk is even considered.

Great games include:
  • Level 7 [Omega Protocol] (Aliens, the film, in a game. Feels like an FPS), Descent: Second Edition, and Imperial Assault (Star Wars) if you want to have a one versus many dungeon crawl.
  • Bioshock Infinite, Summoner Wars, Neuroshima Hex, Star Wars Rebellion (Warning, expensive and epic but it looks sooooo good), Tides of Time (this games takes ten minutes but is quite strategic and damn affordable), Neuroshima Convoy, for two player games
  • Coup, Mafia de Cuba, Resistance, Sheriff of Nottingham, Bang the Dice Game, Ca$h and Guns, for sowing seed of social distrust and deception (or if you just love lying to people).
  • Shadows Over Camelot, Dead Men Tell No Tales, Mice and Mystics (great family game, especially fi you have kids, but still a great game to play if you are three blokes with beers as well ^^), Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert (the latter being the more game'er of the two but both solid, solid games), Pandemic (by the same guy who did the Forbidden games), Z: Black Plague, Legendary (comes in Marvel, Alien, and Predator varieties. These are a BRUTAL games so do not expect a walk in the park), Dead of Winter (imagine the Walking Dead in a board game; not the killing zombies, but the tension, stress, arguments, white lies and desperation. Brilliant), for pure co-op games, or co-op games with the possibility of a traitor.
  • Chaos in the Old World (warning, as great a game that this is is, it is unbalanced unless you play with the full complement of four players -- or five with the expansion -- and is rather graphic in its demonic themes. The game board is designed to look like flayed skin, for example. This is a game in the Warhammer universe but gameplay wise, is nothing like the miniatures game.), Star Wars Risk, Bioshock Infinite, Level 7 [Invasion] (a completely different genre of game from [Omega Protocol]), Kemet, for some great 'Dudes on a Map' games.
  • Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne (now with Star Wars! :P), King of Tokyo/New York, New York 1901, for easier games to get into but still have lasting depth.

:D…[/color]
Last edited by PinothyJ on 26 Feb 2016, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 26 Feb 2016, 14:03

That pretty much sums up my feelings on Risk right there. So many better games now, with much more strategic depth than just hoard units, cross fingers and roll dice at somebody else who has also hoarded units. Oh and once one side starts getting sets it becomes just a slow point of watching that person steamroll the entire rest of the board. Not fun.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 26 Feb 2016, 14:35

PinothyJ wrote:I would avoid Risk like the Black Plague. That includes ALL flavoured Risks with the exception of Star Wars Risk -- and that is because it is not a Risk game at all but merely a reskinning of a previous Star Wars game that has been long out of print.
To each their own, friends and I break up Zombicide and DnD sessions with some Risk and it's awesome fun, if not just as much fun as the other games when drinking and talking. I also found the Star Wars Risk to be my least favourite which was incredibly suprising.

Finally had a chance to play X-Wing last night and my friend broke one of plastic pegs for a Tie Fighter, he ordered me a replacement pack but needless to say I probably wont play that again with him. :lol:
Now all I need to do is buy a game mat and storage box because the box it comes with is pretty unpractical for storing all the little game pieces.
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 26 Feb 2016, 14:57

Anon. E. Moose wrote:
PinothyJ wrote:I would avoid Risk like the Black Plague. That includes ALL flavoured Risks with the exception of Star Wars Risk -- and that is because it is not a Risk game at all but merely a reskinning of a previous Star Wars game that has been long out of print.
To each their own, friends and I break up Zombicide and DnD sessions with some Risk and it's awesome fun, if not just as much fun as the other games when drinking and talking. I also found the Star Wars Risk to be my least favourite which was incredibly surprising.

Finally had a chance to play X-Wing last night and my friend broke one of plastic pegs for a Tie Fighter, he ordered me a replacement pack but needless to say I probably wont play that again with him. :lol:
Now all I need to do is buy a game mat and storage box because the box it comes with is pretty impractical for storing all the little game pieces.
All that means is I feel that there are so many games that are waiting around the corner who are just dying to blow you mind ^^. For example, if you play with more people you really have to own Kemet -- soo gooood; if you want to play with two, Bioshock Infinite (it can play four -- not three -- but it involves two people sharing the same team with their own shade of its colour. Each to their own); if you want asymmetry, Chaos in the Old World has it in spades!

I was not digging on Zombicide, I was jsut saying that the original games really need to be houseruled in order to fix them…
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 26 Feb 2016, 15:05

We've been playing the Zombicide S1/2 with the expansions for ages without house rules and having a blast. I'm not quite sure what you think needs to be "houseruled."
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 26 Feb 2016, 16:15

vcatkiller wrote:We've been playing the Zombicide S1/2 with the expansions for ages without house rules and having a blast. I'm not quite sure what you think needs to be "houseruled."
I think I covered this in previous replies: ranged weapons are next to useless unless your searches are lucky; and abomination being only be able to be killed by very few things to name a few that I can think of off the top of my head…
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 26 Feb 2016, 16:25

The first - wait what? I don't get it? If you mean because Aaagh cards there are very few of them even in the base deck, so there's not that much danger. Plus you just keep a melee weapon as a backup in case things go south. I don't think we've ever been killed because of an Aaagh card.

As to the second, yes abominations are annoying and can be game enders in unlucky situations, but I wouldn't leave them out or change them for anything. The frantic effect of an abomination appearing is great, and there are usually strategies to deal with them while looking for a way to get rid of them. We've successfully kept abominations effectively paralyzed using a combination of noise generation and Grindlock's Taunt ability, for example, while the rest of the group looked for pa's gun, the concrete saw or something similar.
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 26 Feb 2016, 23:19

vcatkiller wrote:The first - wait what? I don't get it? If you mean because Aaagh cards there are very few of them even in the base deck, so there's not that much danger. Plus you just keep a melee weapon as a backup in case things go south. I don't think we've ever been killed because of an Aaagh card.

As to the second, yes abominations are annoying and can be game enders in unlucky situations, but I wouldn't leave them out or change them for anything. The frantic effect of an abomination appearing is great, and there are usually strategies to deal with them while looking for a way to get rid of them. We've successfully kept abominations effectively paralysed using a combination of noise generation and Grindlock's Taunt ability, for example, while the rest of the group looked for pa's gun, the concrete saw or something similar.
The range rules are ridiculous; because of this you need to be lucky with your search to find scopes and the like to make it so you can actually be versatile in your attack. Why would you hit the survivor first when you rolled a hit? Would you actually hit them on a miss?

Abominations are a joke if you get one on your first spawn and the tools you have to kill them are on the bottom of a search deck. You can end up spending the game just dancing around, dragging the game out why you avoid this damn thing. this is made even more painful if you happen to be playing a tight map.
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 27 Feb 2016, 11:15

So what house rules did you apply for that? Personally we used the "use strategy" house rule where we just planned ahead and made sure no survivors were in zones we were attempting to shoot into.

Although it does help we have characters like Julien (his Steady Hand ability means he never hits survivors in zones - even when driving) and Jeff. (starts with the Sniper ability, doesn't need to look for a scope) Oh and Grindlock who eventually gets slippery in orange, so you can send him into a zone, smack away with a chainsaw and then move him safely back out again.

While I do like the rules added in Black Plague for range I've never had issue with the ranged rules in the basic set.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 29 Feb 2016, 08:35

So went to a local gaming night on Saturday, apparently they had about 1/4 of the usual turn out and no one was sure why...
But I watched a game of Blood Bowl, never seen it actually played, and there are so many rules to remember. But looks like a fairly cool game.

Saw a game of Kingdom Death being played, and apparently only losing a leg on a survivor was a good game, no survivors were lost...
Looked interesting, but I think I need some board games with less or no miniatures after playing Warhammer for so long.

Also had a game of Ninja All Stars, well started a game, as it was every ones first time playing we got through a couple of turns but that was all.
Seemed like a fairly cool game, thinking I might look at actually buying it, just the $120-$140 price tag is a bit off putting...

And someone showed me Kings of War, which was pretty much Warhammer, but not the Age of Sigmar route. Looks interesting and now I am going to go looking for some rules for it.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 29 Feb 2016, 13:00

That sounded fun! I haven't been to an event like that in a long time. Used to be a friend of mine would invite me along to them, but he moved down to Brisbane. But events like that are always cool...
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 03 Mar 2016, 09:18

Wall of Shame:
  • City of Remnants
  • Carcassonne; Gold Rush
  • Coup: Reformation
  • Kingsburg (just received it so give me some slack!)
  • Ninja: All Stars
  • Star Realms: Colony Wars
  • Zombiaki 2: Atak na Moskwę
Then there are games that I have played in a introductory sense but have not played with a full compliment :/.

Oh boy…[/color]
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 03 Mar 2016, 10:21

Well bought the rule books for Kings of War.
And looking at buying some paints soon to actually start painting my Warhammer figures...
Might go through the effort of rebasing some as well. Make them look slightly nicer.

Seriously want to get back into a hobby other than computer gaming, so this is a good point for me.
Especially with me moving out into my own house, where I won't have my wife complaining about the shit laying everywhere :D (Gotta look at the positives)
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 03 Mar 2016, 11:35

Mini wrote: Might go through the effort of rebasing some as well. Make them look slightly nicer.
You'd be surprised how much better they look with goblin/grass green paint and some grass basing flock. Added bonus is the flock hides any bumps and stuff from glueing. Pretty easy to do as well unless you want something that looks extra fancy.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 19 Apr 2016, 11:33

Started fully making my own sandworm style monster
I undercoated him black last night, so will get some more of the painting done tonight and see how he starts coming out.
Hopefully he looks good once painted and the base is completed.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 19 Apr 2016, 14:37

I would appreciate if you guys could do something to get me to stop spending money on games :(.

I need an intervention…
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 19 Apr 2016, 14:53

Can't help you there Pinothy... I have maintained that I am not buying further miniatures until I paint all the ones I have...
This doesn't account for the ones I am fully creating like the above sandworm though...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 19 Apr 2016, 20:05

I'd help but I'm probably just as bad...

Been playing Zombicide:Black Plague the last month. Damn it's awesome. It's gonna be hard when we go back to the standard game I can tell you...
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 19 Apr 2016, 21:20

vcatkiller wrote:I'd help but I'm probably just as bad...

Been playing Zombicide:Black Plague the last month. Damn it's awesome. It's gonna be hard when we go back to the standard game I can tell you...
I have JUST came back into this thread just for you!

Buy these dice to make your zombie kills that more satisfying! They are for another game but that game uses standard D6's just like Z'cide so you are all sorted :). The image does not do them justice and the reds come across as being really sickly in the image whilst in reality they are a fuller, bloodier red.

Trust me, mine arrived today and they look awesome (they are all marblely and stuff ^^)…
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 19 Apr 2016, 22:03

Just played a game of Kings of War... (Warhammer Clone)... and well damn it is so much better than Warhammer...
Rules are so much more streamlined that it is actually playable... 2 hours with an hour of talking for a complete game, Warhammer would have been about 6 hours with less talking...
And because it is more streamlined it is a lot more fun to play...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 19 Apr 2016, 22:44

PinothyJ wrote:
vcatkiller wrote:I'd help but I'm probably just as bad...

I have JUST came back into this thread just for you!

Buy these dice to make your zombie kills that more satisfying! They are for another game but that game uses standard D6's just like Z'cide so you are all sorted :). The image does not do them justice and the reds come across as being really sickly in the image whilst in reality they are a fuller, bloodier red.

Trust me, mine arrived today and they look awesome (they are all marblely and stuff ^^)…
Damn they look awesome. Gonna have to look into those...
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 19 Apr 2016, 23:14

Mini wrote:Just played a game of Kings of War... (Warhammer Clone)... and well damn it is so much better than Warhammer...
Rules are so much more streamlined that it is actually playable... 2 hours with an hour of talking for a complete game, Warhammer would have been about 6 hours with less talking...
And because it is more streamlined it is a lot more fun to play...
If you want a minis game that has actually embraced innovation, check out Deadzone
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 22 Apr 2016, 12:26

Dark Souls Board Game Kickstarter, hoy!
0 x