Oculus Rift

LordPorksword

Oculus Rift

Post by LordPorksword » 31 Mar 2016, 11:12

Thought I'd start a thread for the Rift!
-----
I checked out the free goodies that come with the release of the consumer Oculus Rift last night, via my DK2.
I'd recommend that owners of DK2's should install the latest run times asap and get the free stuff, off the Oculus store, before they decide to plug that loophole. ;)

They've done a very nice job implementing VR to work with the Lucky's Tale platformer. I've played some of the platformers that have been around for a while but in this case Lucky's Tale has a better level of polish over the others. It's also very kind for motion sickness. Lest to say I only wanted to spend 15 minutes checking it out and finally took the headset off over an hour later... Not sure if I can look at a platformer on a flat TV screen the same way ever again.

I've watched 2 of the 3 short movies so far. Both are interesting, but unfortunately nowhere as cool as the Ghost in the Shell: Virtual Reality Diver VR trailer.

Funnily enough, one of the coolest things is the 3D Art section of the Oculus 360 image viewer. It appears that there was some competition going on, earlier this year, around creating a 3D 360° image. You can view the finalists in this image viewer. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the 3D Art that comes out over time.
0 x

Mekon

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by Mekon » 29 Apr 2016, 08:22

Still waiting for my kickstarter "free" consumer Rift to ship... :(
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 02 May 2016, 10:36

Yeah, I've seen a few folks on the forums comment that they are still waiting for their free kickstarter kits. IMO you guys should have received yours before anyone else!
There also seemed to be unusual delays for orders getting to Australia. I do wonder if any Aussies have actually received theirs yet??
0 x

Mekon

Post by Mekon » 02 May 2016, 20:02

According to the reddit investigation/poll.... one Australian has received theirs (pre-ordered, not kickstarter). *shrug*

I'm not complaining, mind you. I paid $300 for a devkit, got it and then they told me I'd get a free retail version. I can wait as long as it takes. :)
0 x

Mekon

Oculus Rift

Post by Mekon » 23 May 2016, 13:45

Per the "Latest Purchase" thread, my Oculus Rift finally landed on Friday. Put some serious time in on Saturday, bloody impressive.

The resolution increase from the DK1 (the kickstarter devkit) goes a long way to, while not completely eliminating, making the "screen door" effect much more ignorable. And the additional head position tracking, allowing you to physically lean forwards, is brilliant. Feels close enough to to 1:1 mirroring of one's head motion/position... look up/down, left/right, tilt left/right, lean forwards/back - all replicated in gamespace. One of the demos had you positioned in a tunnel; I found myself looking over my shoulder and bending down to see under some blocking objects, was perfectly natural and just worked.

Setup-wise, they've done an astounding job in having a step by step process connecting the various elements: headset (HDMI & USB), sensor stand (USB), included XBox One controller (USB wireless adapter), then positioning the headset on your head, at which point everything is done in VR (adjustment of fit, eye spacing, etc), followed by a series of vignettes showcasing the abilities of the platform, finally taking you to the main shopfront/library (of course).

The Oculus Home software itself (from which you buy/select/run the VR apps) is nicely presented - streamlined, simple, well done. It's the equivalent to Steam VR, which is moddable and configurable, unlike Oculus' offering. Truth be told, at this point I prefer the latter, just feels more polished and easy to use. Downside is that you can only play Oculus-bought games from their interface, have to switch to Steam VR to play other titles... which is a touch irritating, albeit understandable. Feels like Steam/Origin/Uplay all over again. :/

Pet peeve - Oculus Home doesn't let you specify install locations on a game-by-game basis. Or indeed at all, other than when you first install it... so if you run out of hard drive space on the selected partition, you have to uninstall (losing all downloaded games if you didn't think to back them up), and reinstall on another drive. Clumsy and not really acceptable in this day and age - we went through all this with Steam years ago, you'd think publishers would learn that if they are going to push an exclusive platform, it must be feature equivalent with the existing alternatives.

Games-wise, I tried the "free" titles that ship with it:

* EVE: Valkyrie - blew me away, head tracking adds so much to space combat (and I assume flight models in general). No nausea at all, but certainly gets the heart pumping. Simplistic deathmatch dogfighting a-la War Thunder (in space) really, but so good and looks amazing.
* Lucky's Tale - pretty standard platformer in the Nintendo style. It is cute that you can look ahead along the path you're travelling, and the 3D effect works, but it's not altogether revolutionary. One for the kiddies, really.
* Farlands - I've seen it described as VR Tamagotchi, which is pretty apt. Has a cute solution to the motion sickness induced by moving around, in that you teleport from spot to spot, but as a game is a bit lackluster. Proof of concept, with interesting aliens, I guess.

The free demo vignettes in Oculus 'Dreamdeck' are also well worth the look - great for demo'ing to interested parties, gives that wow intro factor.

... and already had/picked up a few extras:

* Pinball FX2 VR - I've always been fond of pinball titles, since the days of Pinball Dreams and Zen Studios contributions have been quite reasonable (nick and diming for DLC content aside). This title has ported 3 of their existing tables (Mars, Secrets of the Deep, and Epic Quest) to VR and, I have to say, it's great! My main beef with pinball on PC is getting the right viewpoint - it's either show everything, but too small/static, or scrolling (which means you can't always judge where you're shooting. As you might expect, head tracking solves this nicely - you can focus on the flippers, glance up the table, lean in, etc.
* Chronos - essentially Dark Souls-lite, crossed with King's Quest-lite. Really cool sword and sorcery third person melee-er, with fixed camera positions. Very competent sense of presence in a pseudo-fantasy world, thoroughly enjoying.
* Elite: Dangerous - looks great, still working out how to deal with the keyboard requirement when you've got a VR headset obstructing your vision... need to get out my flight stick and maybe investigate VoiceAttack. Putting on hold until my new GFX card gets delivered.
* Project Cars - of all the games I played this was the only one that brought on the "blow chunks" sensation. Probably didn't help that I was racing go-karts and that my framerate was pretty terribad (thus affecting head tracking), was sweating within the first 10 seconds... Will revisit with new GPU.

Yet to try: Technolust - some kickstarter I backed a few years back pitched as a VR cyberpunk story. Bit of a stink around the traps from the KS backers, hoping for the best.
Last edited by Mekon on 24 May 2016, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Artful-dodgeR
Location: A part of Victoria that is basically South Australia.

Post by Artful-dodgeR » 23 May 2016, 16:27

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/ ... in_oculus/

I'm sure you're aware but you can bypass a lot of the DRM crap by using ReVive at the moment. It's just a pity the OR is copping so much crap lately the VR area with everyone wanting to jump ship to Vive.

Mind you, if i had the money I would've gone for OR anyway :P
0 x

Mekon

Post by Mekon » 24 May 2016, 08:51

Yup, saw that. :)

Oculus have made some questionable business decisions along the way, and blocking ReVive was just one. :P

Still a fantastic bit of kit.
0 x

kablekill

Post by kablekill » 28 May 2016, 20:27

Did any of you guys pick this up via the retail release(the webstore)? Not via redemption via being a backer on kickstarter or picking up a DK1.
0 x