New laptop for mum

kharis

New laptop for mum

Post by kharis » 10 Jul 2016, 09:48

As the topic says i want to get a new laptop for my mum as the 8 year old hand me down she has us starting to die.

All it is used for is web browsing/gmail and watching things like 7plus. I also have the current one setup with hila in chtome so she can watch the soaps from Greece. Want to connect it to the tv using either hdmi or they have a chrome cast but theyve had buffering issues with it inthe past (mot sure if crappy wifi or crappy laptop or both) so direct connect is no problem (mirrored)

Are the current batch of laptops with 2gb ram enough for this?

Something like this https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tab ... te/856603/

Thanks ;)
Last edited by kharis on 10 Jul 2016, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

GamingKen

Re: New laptop for mun

Post by GamingKen » 10 Jul 2016, 10:19

All Kerbels together now, "Praise the mun!"

Personally, I would say you can get away with the 2gb. My Windows 10 tablet only has 1gb and, while far from perfect, it still allows me to easily do email and web browsing etc, as well as watch Netflix. EDIT - I think really you just have to be aware of how many things you try to do at once with limited ram.
0 x

kharis

Re: New laptop for mun

Post by kharis » 10 Jul 2016, 10:30

damn phone typos, shall fix :)

yeah it's literally just having chrome open maybe 3 tabs max and the odd video file that i'll take over on a usb for the kids to watch when they stay the night

the old one has vista on it and chrome isn't supporting updates anymore
0 x

GamingKen

Re: New laptop for mum

Post by GamingKen » 10 Jul 2016, 10:35

:P

Windows 10 seems to be pretty good for use like that (as was Windows 8 really). I have no troubles doing normal browsing or watching videos on my tablet with the 1gb of ram, and there really is no difference in the OS being on the tablet. Obviously, some things take a moment or two longer but as long as it's not being overloaded with tasks Windows 10 seem to do pretty fine on low ram for everyday basic use. The processor in my tablet seems pretty similar to that laptop you linked to as well.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 10 Jul 2016, 11:01

the main thing that is concerning me i guess is how it'll go with the hdmi to the tv, there isn't really anyway to test it without buying one first and i would probably want to just leave it on mirror mode then have my mum switch the tv input rather to make it easier (and stop phone calls everyday :P )
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Jul 2016, 16:01

I have one of these which have similar specs to the one you linked and you can get away with the usual web stuff, office doc, and video streaming (well, I've only ever tested 720p vids on youtube):

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/se ... reswitch10

Assuming the network adapter drivers aren't screwy like what came with my HP laptop, you shouldn't have any issues.

Ironically, I literally just came home form setting up one of these for my mum:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Asus-X540LA- ... 1054539698?

Got it with 20% off during the last ebay sale. i3 plus 4Gb RAM is good enough for most non-gaming, non-photoshop things though this is probably a tad bigger and bulky and not what you're looking for with your mum.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.