I need new headphones! What do people recommend?

Mythor

I need new headphones! What do people recommend?

Post by Mythor » 27 Nov 2015, 21:29

After many long years of service my Steelseries 5H V2 headphones have finally kicked the bucket. I can't use them for TF2 if I can only hear out of the left cup. :(

Before just buying the V3 or something that costs a bit more but is rated well I thought I'd ask if anyone has any they recommend in particular? I need them primarily for gaming, so good, clear sounds are a must. An attached microphone would be good, but would consider a modmic? And no USB connector, just regular headphone plugs so I can stick them in a phone or tablet from time to time.

Budget-wise I'm looking at $99 for the low end, as that's the price of the V3. To maybe $200, $250, for particularly nice headphones or headphone/modmic combo or a good warranty/returns policy?

Any suggestions? :shifty:
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Matty

Re: I need new headphones! What do people recommend?

Post by Matty » 27 Nov 2015, 22:08

I would also like to know the recommendations here.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Makena

Post by Makena » 27 Nov 2015, 22:29

$79 Beyerdynamic DT235 Headphones http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=553
$129 BeyerDynamics MMX2 Headset http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=382
$249 Audio Technica AG1 Closed Headset http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=962
$249 Audio Technica ADG1 Open headset (my preference and what I own) http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=963

Those are my recommendations, if you go up in price beyond these then you get well beyond my experience lol
1 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 27 Nov 2015, 22:37

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 $149.00 + Antlion Modmic $69.

I swear by this combination, you seriously cannot get any better.
2 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 27 Nov 2015, 22:40

Anon. E. Moose wrote:Audio Technica ATH-AD700 $149.00 + Antlion Modmic $69.

And for reference ADG1's (http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=963) are basically the AD700s (AD700x if we're being pedantic) with a mic attached.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 27 Nov 2015, 22:45

Makena wrote:And for reference ADG1's (http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=963) are basically the AD700s with a mic attached.
Even for that price, I'm still weary of full headsets, I can't help but feel no matter what, the quality of either the mic or headphones is usually sacrificed for the other.

AD700's + Modmic works out a bit cheaper including postage, I've had my AD700's for about 4 years now and they're still as good as the day I got them. The modmic is about a year old now, the logo sticker has fallen off the side but other than that, the glue holding the magnet to the side is still perfectly strong and haven't had a single issue with it. I just love the fact I can take the modmic off and use my headset as regular headphones.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 27 Nov 2015, 22:49

Anon. E. Moose wrote:Even for that price, I'm still weary of full headsets, I can't help but feel no matter what, the quality of either the mic or headphones is usually sacrificed for the other.

AD700's + Modmic works out a bit cheaper including postage, I've had my AD700's for about 4 years now and they're still as good as the day I got them. The modmic is about a year old now, the logo sticker has fallen off the side but other than that, the glue holding the magnet to the side is still perfectly strong and haven't had a single issue with it. I just love the fact I can take the modmic off and use my headset as regular headphones.
The ADG1's are great, and as they also come with a USB DAC, it makes it incredibly simple to use, and good quality regardless of what sound hardware your pc has. I'd take the slightly higher cost for the simplicity in this case, and I just fold the mic up, and they're basically just regular headphones.

EDIT: that said, whatever floats whoever is buyings boat, I personally prefer a good headset, but others may like the option of removing the mic.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 27 Nov 2015, 22:58

Makena wrote:EDIT: that said, whatever floats whoever is buyings boat, I personally prefer a good headset, but others may like the option of removing the mic.
This. It's a shame because headsets are the sort of thing that you really need to try before you buy, but unless you have friends that own them, good luck finding somewhere to try them out. :x
Unless you're a true audiophile you wont find much difference at all between $100-250 headsets so it all comes down to personal preference.
0 x

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 28 Nov 2015, 02:11

I've got G930 and i'm pretty happy with them. Logitech for life for me :)
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 28 Nov 2015, 02:17

Anon. E. Moose wrote:Audio Technica ATH-AD700 $149.00 + Antlion Modmic $69.

I have that exact configuration and it works great. Always go for the Modmic but then choose a good quality headphones that suits you.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 28 Nov 2015, 17:12

Thanks guys, that has helped a bunch. :)
Makena wrote:$249 Audio Technica ADG1 Open headset (my preference and what I own)
These are the ones I was leaning towards, good reviews and such. Will have a look at modmics again, then stew some more. :D
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 28 Nov 2015, 19:04

I'm using a launch generation version of the Astro A40's, I know some people dislike them but they're by FAR my longest lasting headphones/mic in a good 20 years of gaming.

* Decent sound

* mix amp

* usable as optical/USB/jack

* great tolerances on the internal wires so no breakages etc

* everything external unclips (mic can change sides in 2 seconds) and the jacks are solid, I've stood up about a million times and had the cable be under my hair or desk or something and it just unplugs itself so no damage but still seats solidly after all this time

* no wobbly mic (you could just order another if you managed to break it somehow), no extra cables, just pick it up and wear it(and jack the mic in if you take it out when watching movies etc) and im not even REMOTELY scared of breaking them, after the amount of times it has fallen off my desk im pretty sure they're indestructible. I have friends who come back from tradeshows with 5-6 headsets some years and AFAIK they all still use their ASTRO's.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 29 Nov 2015, 22:44

We have the Corsair Gaming H2100 Wireless Dolby 7.1 Gaming Headset, which cost me around $150 when our puppy chewed up Disco's last headset... I bought the same ones again (except a slightly better model) because we both really liked the sound quality and found them comfortable. I can't really comment on the microphone as I haven't used it, but Disco plays online so anyone who voicechats with him regularly would be able to say whether he comes through clearly or not.

Wireless, which we love - 12m range so with a tiny house you can pretty much walk anywhere. Battery lasts about 9-10 hours before they need recharging.

I'm a bit of a spazz with headsets, I have one at work that I barely use and a few weeks ago our HR Business Partner called me through voice chat... she couldn't hear me and insisted I sounded like I was in a tunnel. It took a bit of stuffing around before I realised my headset was on backwards and the microphone was buried in my hair :P
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 30 Nov 2015, 17:09

I'll definitely throw my hate in my Beyerdynamic, I've had a pair of DT 990s for years now and they are fantastic.

I use a Zalman clip on mic and it seems to do the job, no idea if they are around any more though.

A mate of mine recently got to borrow a Blue Yeti USB mic and it was amazing. He didn't really know much about them so didn't appreciate it as much as others would.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 30 Nov 2015, 17:45

I have the logitech wireless ones g930. I can hear stuff and talk to people so thumbs up from me. Also useful when I want to ignore the children/husband
0 x

PirateEggs

Post by PirateEggs » 30 Nov 2015, 18:18

I have these; ATH-M50X and I love them. You can probably pick up the M50 (non x) for pretty cheap too. Essentially the only difference is the M50X has a detachable cable.
jambo wrote:A mate of mine recently got to borrow a Blue Yeti USB mic and it was amazing. He didn't really know much about them so didn't appreciate it as much as others would.
I've got a Yeti, it's pretty awesome, very, very overkill for what I use it for, but oh well. It's really fun to mess with people and enable the stereo on it and then move to the left and right of the mic. Randomly whisper in someone's left ear when you're being nice and quiet in TeamSpeak.
0 x
ImageImage

bender

Post by bender » 30 Nov 2015, 19:29

Unless you need the isolation, open headphones are much better IMHO. Just from being open they sound better as they dont have to deal with the complexities of fully enclosed spaces - reflections, resonance etc. It also feels way more natural as you can still hear things around you - so they are way better for listening to music. I also find them better for immersion. When wearing closed, it sounds like something is covering your ears, with open, i often forget i'm even wearing headphones.

I have the AD900's with a mod mic attached for the occasional time i use a mic and it works great. I think the extra $100 for the AD900 was worth it at the time. I dont think they make the AD900's anymore, but the AD900X is available. It doesn't have as wider soundstage as the AD900, apparently it is more rounded and has better bass, but not quite as good on the mids and highs. I would still recommend them though.

The AD900X can be had for $250 at http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=817

If you are getting them purely for gaming, then maybe just get something cheaper (AD700's as others have suggested). If you think you might like them for music as well, then definitely go for the AD900X.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

jambo

Post by jambo » 01 Dec 2015, 09:36

PirateEggs wrote:I've got a Yeti, it's pretty awesome, very, very overkill for what I use it for, but oh well. It's really fun to mess with people and enable the stereo on it and then move to the left and right of the mic. Randomly whisper in someone's left ear when you're being nice and quiet in TeamSpeak.
You sound like some ASMR loving weirdo :dodgy:
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 01 Dec 2015, 13:30

What is the difference between the ATH-PG1/PDG1 and the ATH-ADG1/AG1 apart from price :S
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 01 Dec 2015, 13:34

Disruptor4 wrote:What is the difference between the ATH-PG1/PDG1 and the ATH-ADG1/AG1 apart from price :S
Band design, smaller cups, no USB DAC, A series allegedly sound better, but I'm not sure how much is in it. I prefer the mic design on the A series too (looks slightly shorter? but that could just be the pictures I've seen, it does fold up on the A and not the P I don't think), but that's probably personal preference.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 01 Dec 2015, 13:39

The P's are the older model, looks like there's larger drivers in the A's and better frequency range and 1 ohm less impedance. Whatever that means. And the A's have the "wing support system" instead of a traditional headband.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 01 Dec 2015, 13:45

Nice thanks. I bought the Turtle Beach XP Seven's something a year or two ago on a big sale. They work good and sound good, but at the same time, I bought them because I had the urge to just buy something new even though my old headphones still worked fine so I've been tempted for a while to buy the ADG1/AG1's (whichever is open) but I'm waiting for a sale to justify the purchase :P
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 01 Dec 2015, 14:01

$249 is the best price I found. They were $299 at JB. Hoping mine arrive from PC Case Gear today. :D
0 x

PirateEggs

Post by PirateEggs » 01 Dec 2015, 16:29

jambo wrote:You sound like some ASMR loving weirdo :dodgy:
m8. no. it's just fun to mess with people. I obviously can't hear myself, so how would it affect me?
0 x
ImageImage

Shinanigans

Post by Shinanigans » 01 Dec 2015, 16:51

I won't be touching Steel Series headphones again.

I had a set of 5HV2 for about 18 months and while putting them on, the arm just broke on them.

I then replaced them with a pair of Siberia Elite's and the leather on the cups just fell apart in just 8 months.

I'm obnoxiously careful with my belongings and take good care of them. They're just shit quality products.
0 x