Recommend a Modem/Router

Dexterians

Recommend a Modem/Router

Post by Dexterians » 14 Jun 2017, 13:31

Hey guys,

So the NBN is approaching my area soon meaning I'll need to invest in a new modem/router.
What's currently the *hot* modems to have? I've had my billion for yonks now and it's been so good to me. Are billion still worth buying?

Seeing I'll be upgrading soon, I'd like a modem/router that's high performing - with the ability to stream Xbox via the Xbox App. Yeah my xbox lives in another room and I occasionally stream it to my loungeroom wirelessly. My billion does alright but here or there it glitches the stream sometimes.

The catch, I don't really want to pay through the nose.
0 x

Disruptor4

Re: Recommend a Modem/Router

Post by Disruptor4 » 14 Jun 2017, 14:16

Depends on the technology you're getting I believe. Could be wrong, but doesn't help to know this for recommendations.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 14 Jun 2017, 14:49

How do you mean?

Basically just needs to be a decent gaming router.
I'm also pretty sure that it'll be copper to my unit.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 14 Jun 2017, 14:57

What sort of NBN technology? If FTTN/FTTB you need a VDSL modem/router, if FTTP then you'll just need a router, for HFC I'm not actually sure off the top of my head

You want to be sure of this before you spend money on something I imagine.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 14 Jun 2017, 15:11

I'm pretty sure it's going to be FTTN. But I understand where you're coming from.

Are the price differences between the two technologies that different though?
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 14 Jun 2017, 15:56

Dexterians wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 15:11
I'm pretty sure it's going to be FTTN. But I understand where you're coming from.

Are the price differences between the two technologies that different though?
Not exceptionally, a modem/router may cost a bit more than just a router, but if it's what you need so be it, for FTTN I'd strongly consider the Fritzbox range, but that's largely driven by a good experience using one on ADSL for a couple of years now.

The other choice is to use whatever Modem is provided from your ISP, and connect it to whatever router you want that has features you want (VOIP, Wireless bands/frequency/is bright green/whatever you're after), such a router would also work on any other type of NBN connection in the same manner
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 14 Jun 2017, 16:24

Makena wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 15:56
The other choice is to use whatever Modem is provided from your ISP, and connect it to whatever router you want that has features you want (VOIP, Wireless bands/frequency/is bright green/whatever you're after), such a router would also work on any other type of NBN connection in the same manner
Use the one provided by the ISP or why not just BYO all-in-one?

So Fritzbox is still good then? Even for screen streaming etc?
Have Billion fallen behind or something these days?

Everyone keeps recommending the NETGEAR Nighthawk, I could be wrong but I feel like you can get the same for less.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 15 Jun 2017, 09:05

If you're going to be on FTTN it'd be best to use your ISP's recommended modem/router preferably one that can be bridged to a more capable wireless router so that's an option at a later date.

FTTN is issue prone and when you do have issues using your ISPs recommended modem/router may make troubleshooting easier.

A modem/router using a Broadcom BCM63168 modem would be ideal, a lot of ISPs are supplying modem/routers that use this chipset.

The node's use Broadcom line drivers to communicate with your modem so it's best to stick to Broadcom modems if you value performance and/or reliability.

See: https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_regi ... dem_router

The Fritz's I wouldn't recommend as they don't use Broadcom modems and offer subpar performance and reliability compared to Broadcom modems.

Billion ran in financial difficulties and the company was sold, it is not the same company nor does it have the same support as the support staff were let go when the company ran into financial difficulty. I don't have any opinion personally on the new company as I haven't bought any of their products as there has been better value products from other vendors the last few years and Billion's hardware is generally overpriced IMO.

If there is something you don't like about the modem/routers routing, wireless or other feature(s) getting a modem/router that can be bridged to make it a dumb modem for use with a wireless router could be an advantage.

Since I'm with iiNet I'll probably be getting the TG789 assuming nothing better comes out before FTTN is active in my area and using it standalone for a few weeks/months to ensure FTTN doesn't have issues then I'll be bridging it and using it with my ASUS RT-AC68U wireless router which has better wireless and more advanced firmware.

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Netgear's firmware so I'll be keeping well away from the brand.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 15 Jun 2017, 10:31

Why does everyone recommend using 2 routers, why not just have 1 all in one?
I feel using 2 devices just adds more points of failure.

I'm really just looking for 1 device to do it all.
And that one device needs to be powerful enough for me to do what I'm looking to do.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 15 Jun 2017, 22:16

Wireless modem/routers generally have average at best wireless and often have crippled firmware especially ISP supplied units. Less features = less things to go wrong = lower support costs.

Should a surge come down the PSTN and fry the modem or it just dies it is easily replaced with another modem/router and you don't have to setup static leases etc all over again.

Each to their own.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 15 Jun 2017, 22:23

I used a wireless router modem for years - got nothing but complaints about the reliability of the connection. Switched to a setup where I have a dedicated wireless router, and all those intermittent connection problems disappeared.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 16 Jun 2017, 09:16

storm84 wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 22:23
I used a wireless router modem for years - got nothing but complaints about the reliability of the connection. Switched to a setup where I have a dedicated wireless router, and all those intermittent connection problems disappeared.
I only had those kinds of issues back before I got in to Billion (Dlinks, netgears, etc). The last Billion I bought was just over 4 years ago and it still hasn't missed a beat so I know there are decent modem routers out there that don't require you to own a modem AND a router.

Might give the fritz a go, so far its the only suggestion and I remember them being a close contender back when I bought my Billion. Unless there are other brands that people recommend researching?
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 16 Jun 2017, 10:31

Stay away from the Fritz!Box 7390, it's Ikanos modems FTTN performance and reliability is subpar.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-r ... ?t=2466957

The 7490 is likely better but still worse than Broadcom modems for FTTN performance and reliability.

Since you're in an apartment you will likely be fine with a typical wireless modem/router unless there is some specific feature you need that a basic wireless modem/router doesn't supply.

ISP supplied modem/routers aren't as bad as they once were, even the cheap units have far more powerful hardware than units of yesteryear and aren't as prone to locking up when overloaded.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 16 Jun 2017, 11:01

I was looking at the 7590

I'm still a couple months from getting FTTN, so I've got time. There's no urgency, I just figured I'd better start looking in to options.

So if Fritz is no good you think, what about TP-Link, they still use broadcom right? Are TP-Link still as reliable as they once used to be?

EDIT: http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/deta ... R2800.html
Looks pretty beefy.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 16 Jun 2017, 19:18

The 7590 isn't available yet but it has been confirmed that it uses a Lantiq modem so no way of knowing its FTTN performance and reliability before release. Other Lantiq modems have been hit and miss on FTTN but the general consensus is they aren't as good as Broadcom modems especially for users on longer lines and/or lines that have issues.

FTTN is more susceptible to issues than ADSL2+ so a connection that was solid with ADSL2+ can be completely unstable when converted to FTTN.

The VR2600 and VR2800 have issue plagued firmware so I don't recommend either.

The VR2600 use Atheros hardware whereas and has an extremely large amount of firmware issues which I doubt will ever be fixed, the VR2800 only uses Broadcom hardware so I'd expect it to have fewer issues, no guarantees though.

Depending on which ISP you are with their supplied hardware may be a safer bet.
0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 21 Jun 2017, 20:15

I've heard the Fritzbox is not good for setting static address for network, is this true, does anyone here have one and testify whether its good.

I ask cause I assign IP's to my devices in conjunction with their MAC addresses and close off all other IP addresses...
0 x

tehdave

Post by tehdave » 21 Jun 2017, 20:36

Why would you do that? That will not achieve any extra security, it is just wasting your time.

If you want a nice router, I'd suggest you look at a Juniper SRX650. You can get them used on eBay for just under $2000.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 22 Jun 2017, 11:33

To be fair, it is some extra security. Low hanging fruit and all that.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 22 Jun 2017, 12:01

tehdave wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 20:36
Why would you do that? That will not achieve any extra security, it is just wasting your time.

If you want a nice router, I'd suggest you look at a Juniper SRX650. You can get them used on eBay for just under $2000.
Under 2000? Geeze. That's a bit over the price I was expecting to pay :lol:
I'm not looking for a switchblade, I think that's a little overkill. Just a household modem/router should be sufficient.

I'm thinking I might look in to;
http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/deta ... R2800.html
0 x