Recommend an ISP to churn to

Sathias

Recommend an ISP to churn to

Post by Sathias » 07 Nov 2015, 11:54

I've been a member of Internode for around 13 years, but with TPG removing a lot of the premium features I enjoy, I'm not certain how much longer I will remain a member. Are there any ISPs left apart from the big 3 that are worth considering? I may churn to Optus, as I have my mobile with them, but their ADSL plans are fairly pricey. I don't get very good speeds at my place so unlimited isn't a necessity either.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

GamingKen

Re: Recommend an ISP to churn to

Post by GamingKen » 07 Nov 2015, 12:03

Good question...

I'm on NBN with iiNet, but originally joined Internode because of games.on.net (which I found through playing on gon UT3 servers). I had a letter in the mail recently from a company offering a 1 month trial of their NBN plan, which seemed quite good, but as I felt okay with iiNet NBN I threw it away. I wish I had kept it now.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 07 Nov 2015, 12:14

Anyone used Amnet?

I'm thinking of switching to them if they are decent, otherwise I'm just going to give up and go with telstra, already got mobile with them and am doing a dodgy foxtel deal with the guy who lives below me, using his 2nd box and going halves in the bill, but we don't use half the stuff he has in the plan and I've recently learned multiple accounts can work off the same dish.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 07 Nov 2015, 12:30

Have been considering my options as well, particularly with the NBN due to go live near the end of the year in my area. It's hard because friends and relatives are all either with Telstra/Optus/TPG or are in the same Internode boat with me.

Have been considering Skymesh as they offer reasonably priced plans without an annoying contract, but Whirlpool has some complaints of slow international speed. And they're NBN only, which makes them a crapshoot as far as recommending to others. :(
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 07 Nov 2015, 12:49

I won't be getting NBN till god knows when, building doesn't start until end of 2016 :( so god knows when they will finish it. For the moment I will stick with Node, but I think I would like maybe to get cable if that provides better speeds but then the only choices are Optus and Telstra (are there any others?) and those guys do not inspire confidence at all.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 07 Nov 2015, 14:42

I'm going with telstra, no other reason than I don't like TPG and they win by default as the people I hate the least now.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 07 Nov 2015, 20:33

It's really annoying. I feel like churning but TPG are so cheap and the money (or my lack of lots of it) always wins out in the end.
0 x

Shinanigans

Post by Shinanigans » 07 Nov 2015, 22:01

Is there any ISP besides Bigpond which TPG doesn't own now? :'(
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 Nov 2015, 22:07

I'm on MyNetFone Naked DSL... apart from the so-so tech support and issues with setting up my service at my current place, once everything is up and running, it's smooth sailing. And that's experience at two properties. 250Gb peak/250Gb offpeak for $50/mth and no uploads counted.

For NBN, Skymesh I've heard are good. My bro (who's with Node for ADSL2 atm) can't get Skymesh so I'm thinking AusBBS for him (he's got FTTP at his property).
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

.♥. Cupcake .♥.

Post by .♥. Cupcake .♥. » 08 Nov 2015, 00:02

I'm on Activ8me for NBN plans, but I find the customer support and help isn't up to scratch. If it works, it's terrific, but when it doesn't... weeelll just hope you know some tech people. So if any of you guys have reasonably priced NBN provider advice, shoot!
1 x

stingtwo

Post by stingtwo » 08 Nov 2015, 01:40

NotThatDoug wrote:Anyone used Amnet?

I'm thinking of switching to them if they are decent, otherwise I'm just going to give up and go with telstra, already got mobile with them and am doing a dodgy foxtel deal with the guy who lives below me, using his 2nd box and going halves in the bill, but we don't use half the stuff he has in the plan and I've recently learned multiple accounts can work off the same dish.
I'm currently on Amnet, I'll just be repeating myself from IRC about them in less words. International traffic is a bit of arse on weekends or really busy nights, otherwise it's been fine for me for the past 14months.
0 x

Brat81

Post by Brat81 » 08 Nov 2015, 09:51

Look I know most of you aren't going to like what I have to say but.
TPG are if not the best value and most stable NBN RSP I get 100/40 all day everyday, no international congestion. They actually.like to purchase more CVC unlike a lot of other RSPs (Devoted, Skymesh, Optus)

Only issue I had was the default router they send out (netcomm n300) I purchased a Mikrotik crs125-24g in place (no for the feint hearted to setup)
0 x

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 08 Nov 2015, 12:34

We signed on for 24mth contract with Internode when we got our NBN connection a little earlier this year. A little bitter about being locked to them while they close down services I like.
0 x

Brat81

Post by Brat81 » 08 Nov 2015, 12:35

You maybe be able to forfeit your contact ?
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 08 Nov 2015, 14:26

As above, if anything like GoN was mentioned in the contract you may be able to get out of it without paying the cancellation fee, possibly the TPG merger might do it too. TIO might help if what's left of Internode won't help.
0 x

tehdave

Post by tehdave » 08 Nov 2015, 20:28

What features specifically are you missing? Internode has been fine for me and are still great, so I'll be sticking with them and currently plan continue with them when I get NBN in about a year.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 08 Nov 2015, 20:54

Assuming Internode is even still around in a year it won't be very much like the Internode of even today, much less before the gradual erosion that's happened since iiNet took over. If they are still around, don't agree to a lengthy contract! :)
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

boars

Post by boars » 09 Nov 2015, 00:15

tehdave wrote:What features specifically are you missing? Internode has been fine for me and are still great, so I'll be sticking with them and currently plan continue with them when I get NBN in about a year.
Aside from GoN? I don't foresee them keeping freezone, games servers or such features personally but then that's mostly just assuming.

I don't particularly like TPG to be frank and it's not an ISP I've ever considered being a part of, they have never seemed to care about their customers as much as IINET has in the past. We lost a big consumer advocate in IINET, which is a huge loss IMO. Losing GoN was just another kick in the balls for me. As such I'm certainly not putting my money into TPG if I have an alternative but really there aren't many about!

Since my areas version of NBN will ultimately just be cable of a sorts, might as well just get cable now since I no longer have the ability to support what I felt was a (more) moral ISP.
Last edited by boars on 09 Nov 2015, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 09 Nov 2015, 09:04

For now I'll stay on TPGneternode, but if/when the service starts dropping I'll look elsewhere, as really I don't particularly love any of the remaining ADSL providers.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2015, 09:13

yeah i'm lazy i will stick with IInet and see what happens
0 x

InAUGral

Post by InAUGral » 09 Nov 2015, 11:14

kharis wrote:yeah i'm lazy i will stick with IInet and see what happens
I am doing the same. I signed up to a contract free Internode NBN plan two days before GON went dark.

If I was on ADSL2 still I would move over to Club Telco or something.

I expect to have no issues for at least 3 months but after that I may have to change over to someone else. Gotta say Optus is looking like the lesser of the evil's at the moment. Not too many other good options that I am aware of for NBN except Skymesh which sounds good from their whirlpool posts. Skymesh cant provide for my area yet though.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 09 Nov 2015, 15:04

tehdave wrote:What features specifically are you missing? Internode has been fine for me and are still great, so I'll be sticking with them and currently plan continue with them when I get NBN in about a year.
It's pre-emptive to a degree, I just want to know my options. Knowing TPG/Teoh's buisiness MO I think there will be quite a few services that disappear as they try to cut costs. Today it's GON site/forums, then the game servers, next it will be the gaming freezone, then likely the free Netflix data etc etc

And it is only a matter of time till they realise the Usenet server is still there and shut that down too. Buggered if I'm going to keep paying a premium price for TPG style bare-bones service.

I have to admit that part of it is punitive on my part and I'm basically looking to vote with my feet in protest for shutting down GON.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Werewolph

Post by Werewolph » 09 Nov 2015, 17:58

The 18 months I was with TPG for NBN 100/40, I never had a single issue. No speed drops either, which was the main thing.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 10 Nov 2015, 05:08

Sathias wrote:I've been a member of Internode for around 13 years, but with TPG removing a lot of the premium features I enjoy, I'm not certain how much longer I will remain a member. Are there any ISPs left apart from the big 3 that are worth considering? I may churn to Optus, as I have my mobile with them, but their ADSL plans are fairly pricey. I don't get very good speeds at my place so unlimited isn't a necessity either.
Stay away from Optus, they have a lot of congestion (local backhaul, domestically and internationally) and suboptimal routing resulting in higher RTT than other ISPs for many destinations.

Optus also only provide one line profile with high 12dB SNR margins to reduce the potential for dropouts and lower support costs but results in substandard downstream sync rates compared to other ISPs. They also cap upstream to 812kbps for no real reason. For those with bad and/or long lines you can loose 50% of your downstream going from a 6dB SNR margin line profile (most other ISPs have a line profile around this dB) to Optus' 12dB line profile.
NotThatDoug wrote:Anyone used Amnet?

Amnet use Vocus for backhaul and Vocus don't have a good reputation. iiNet used to use Vocus a lot but I don't know if they still do as Vocus had quite a few outages back in the day that cheesed iiNet off.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=2272000

Telstra are pricey, generally have a lot of backhaul for exchanges but RIMs/Tophats insufficient backhaul bandwidth can be an issue resulting in congestion especially in peak times. If you are on an on-net plan with another ISP it is certain you're on an exchange as other ISPs can't provide their hardware in RIMs/Tophats because of size/commercial constraints.
Matty wrote:I'm going with telstra, no other reason than I don't like TPG and they win by default as the people I hate the least now.
It's bizarre that we could end up in a situation where Telstra is the last major ISP with a good network.

Optus are terrible and it's highly likely TPG will stuff up iiNet's/Internode's network/routing by peering only with PIPE in an effort to force other ISPs to peer with PIPE possibly at more POPs.
Shinanigans wrote:Is there any ISP besides Bigpond which TPG doesn't own now? :'(
Most have low service standards comparatively speaking, you just can't be confident they have purchased sufficient exchange/RIM/tophat backhaul and that's before you factor in peering, routing, national and international bandwidth.
Mugsy wrote:I'm on MyNetFone Naked DSL... apart from the so-so tech support and issues with setting up my service at my current place, once everything is up and running, it's smooth sailing. And that's experience at two properties. 250Gb peak/250Gb offpeak for $50/mth and no uploads counted.

For NBN, Skymesh I've heard are good. My bro (who's with Node for ADSL2 atm) can't get Skymesh so I'm thinking AusBBS for him (he's got FTTP at his property).
MyNetFone are an Optus reseller last I checked so line profile issues and congestion issues I mentioned previously for Optus may apply.
boars wrote:Since my areas version of NBN will ultimately just be cable of a sorts, might as well just get cable now since I no longer have the ability to support what I felt was a (more) moral ISP.
Well if the additional cost doesn't put you off I say go for it, Telstra cable offers better performance and reliability than ADSL.

I personally wouldn't suggest Optus cable as there's horrible node congestion in many areas and that's before you factor in all the other issues Optus has.
Makena wrote:For now I'll stay on TPGneternode, but if/when the service starts dropping I'll look elsewhere, as really I don't particularly love any of the remaining ADSL providers.
If a line issue is causing the dropouts they will be present regardless of provider.
kharis wrote:yeah i'm lazy i will stick with IInet and see what happens
In that boat myself. As I'd have to churn broadband, PSTN telephone and two mobiles so if shit hits the fan I'll leave.
Sathias wrote:I have to admit that part of it is punitive on my part and I'm basically looking to vote with my feet in protest for shutting down GON.
Nothing wrong with that, best to support the companies that support you wants/needs.
Werewolph wrote:The 18 months I was with TPG for NBN 100/40, I never had a single issue. No speed drops either, which was the main thing.
Many people find the routing issues and further upstream bandwidth issues hard to spot. Asia in particular can have some poor routing hence high latency and low throughput.

Rather than be the great coming of the digital age the poor decision to go with 121 Points of Interconnect and fraudband/MTM means end users can't be confident even MTM connections will stay congestion free as more users come onboard.

NBN is really dead, the behind the scenes business case/model has completely changed and NBN have reworded their contracts giving them plenty of out clauses for substandard service which is the first sign NBN do expect there to be issues and need to cover their arses to prevent costs exploding.
1 x

boars

Post by boars » 10 Nov 2015, 09:36

I don't think Makena meant line drop outs.... More just a general quality, ie if they make those changes you mentioned re forcing pipe, or generally just being bad like Optus :p also probably dropping things like freezone/steam servers/game servers/usegroups

Otherwise, nice post :)
0 x