Wireless network cards?

Nekosan

Wireless network cards?

Post by Nekosan » 08 Feb 2016, 20:25

Anyone have any experience and comfortable with making recommendations? Am moving the pc shortly to somewhere wired isn't an option so i was thinking a pci-e card but have no idea what's good.

Will be connected to a Netgear D6300 if that makes any difference.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

PALADiN

Re: Wireless network cards?

Post by PALADiN » 08 Feb 2016, 21:04

What motherboard do you have? Recent boards tend to include onboard Wi-Fi.
0 x
XBL/PSN/Origin/Uplay: PalZer0
Steam: http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/PALADiN
Twitter: @PalZer0

PirateEggs

Post by PirateEggs » 08 Feb 2016, 21:25

I've never used a wireless card before, but I've used plenty of USB adapters and they've always done the trick for me. I've played online games on them too, never had any issues.
This one supports 2.4 and 5GHz, https://www.pccasegear.com/products/28069/
It's not a pci-e card, it is USB.

Ethernet over Power is also something you could give a shot, it's plug and play if you have an ethernet port in your computer, they come with the cables you need and works a lot better than 2.4GHz. I used this one: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/21912/
Worked well for the time I used it, around a month until I couldn't use it anymore because the powerpoint I had it plugged into was moved (kitchen reno) and they don't work on powerboards (or it's not recommended to do), so I went back to my wifi. I've since moved out though and I'm on a wired connection.

If you're set on a network card, I could probably suggest one for you, but with how advanced the tech is in the dongles and such there really isn't a huge advantage to a card over a dongle, unless if you don't have any spare USB ports, but then maybe a pci-e USB might be something to look into?
0 x
ImageImage

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 08 Feb 2016, 21:50

PirateEggs wrote:
If you're set on a network card, I could probably suggest one for you, but with how advanced the tech is in the dongles and such there really isn't a huge advantage to a card over a dongle, unless if you don't have any spare USB ports, but then maybe a pci-e USB might be something to look into?
The main factor was heat, every USB network adapter ive ever seen was hot as hell. Would rather have something where my fans can blast it.

Edit: should also mention that with me recent USB port iffyness stability might also be an issue.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 08 Feb 2016, 21:54

I didn't even know USB wireless adapters were a thing until I got my Pi2. I'd love to get rid of my wireless card from a pci-e slot, are they a viable replacement? What's the range/signal typically like? I've been using the same wireless card for 5+ years, I'm pretty sure it only supports 2.4ghz.
0 x

PirateEggs

Post by PirateEggs » 08 Feb 2016, 22:03

Fair enough. I've never had any heat issues with mine. I used the one I linked for quite a while, pretty heavily with no issues. :)

How about the EoP? You should have even less heat issues there.

For cards, I suggest either
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/28604/
or
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/25373/

The second has a cable with an antenna too, both support 5GHz and have heatsinks on them to help with heat. But, because of aforementioned heatsink, make sure to check clearance from your GPU. :)
If you want links from somewhere besides PCCG, let me know, I can find somewhere else for you if you need.
Anon. E. Moose wrote:are they a viable replacement?
I've never actually used a wireless card, but I've used usb wireless for years with very little issue (only issue was the wifi itself, got better router, fixed that).
Anon. E. Moose wrote:What's the range/signal typically like?
I used mine from around 20M away, and from a 300Mb/s signal, I got around 250Mb/s from it. This was through 4 walls.
EoP is always an option too, it's somewhere between a wireless and wired connection, depending on your wireless signal, wireless may be a better option. It was for me. :)
0 x
ImageImage

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 09 Feb 2016, 03:43

Ahh screw it, ordered the ASUS PCE-AC68(i was actually looking at that anyway, you just nudged me right haha), and a new keyboard, and some new fans, and a new mouse mat.

I need to not use my credit card after midnight >_<
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 09 Feb 2016, 20:11

The ASUS PCE-AC68U is a great wireless adapter, well worth the extra expense and hassle of installation over a USB stick.
0 x