Novel Coronavirus (COVID19)

Disco

Re: Novel Coronavirus (COVID19)

Post by Disco » 24 Mar 2020, 09:51

While it feels like most of the world has moved to working from home, the only way that's going to happen for us is if it's forced - or, we get a medical certificate so we can self isolate (Also known as, a resignation in the eyes of my employer).

I think we are seriously underestimating how much it's spread.

The same employer above has announced they are all taking salary cuts, in what I believe is a lead to.. "so, what are you willing to drop?"
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 24 Mar 2020, 23:29

So 50% of my workplace will start working from home tomorrow and the remainder will be working from home by the end of next week. Will be an interesting time going forward.

Mum will no longer be at TAFE going forward as part of her JobSeeker Allowance requirements... considering she's over 60yo and has gone through chemo, it's a relief for me that she and dad won't need to go out unless necessary.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 26 Mar 2020, 22:34

Well, we got the directive today to work from home going forward. My bro too which gives me some peace of mind with him... now I'm hoping the daycare centres get shut down soon so my GF can stay home too.

I've set up my home desktop to be capable of most of my needed functions for work... finally opened up the free webcam I got 10yrs ago and also dug out my old gaming headset.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Disco

Post by Disco » 27 Mar 2020, 11:46

Still working at the office, not going to change unless mandated.

I did some numbers last night about the number of tests conducted in NSW and the population, it worked out at something like we've tested 1.00008% of the population of NSW.

I kinda thought it would be higher than 1%.
0 x

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 27 Mar 2020, 15:49

I believe we have been importing test kits or something like that. So while we are testing a huge number of people, until we are producing testing materials locally, we can't do much better.
And while I'm not 100% happy with the current testing requirements, I don't think we've had many clusters of cases appearing where there hasn't been a traceable link to known cases, so I guess its working for now.

In other news, while its tricky to make sense of if you aren't familiar with the maths, we had a decrease in the transmission rate a couple of days ago. I'm optimistically thinking it might be real. As far as the maths goes, the number of cases is still accelerating, but its accelerating at a slower rate.
This change is too soon to be likely to be caused by the new restrictions started this week, so we can (reasonably) hope for more improvements next week.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 27 Mar 2020, 22:48

Well, Boris Johnson's got it now.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 28 Mar 2020, 01:50

Testing a lot of people that don't have it doesn't really serve a purpose, we're kind of wasting a bunch of tests at the moment. But at least some people are being cleared so they can get out of the house and get supplies and such.

Went to the Post Office today to mail a present and was pleasantly surprised to see people being very sensible about the distancing stuff. Not too many people inside at once and the rest of the line was spaced appropriately on the outside. Coles, on the other hand, felt a bit claustrophobic with so many people not observing the distancing.

Hope Boris Johnson ends up okay, but I bet he's feeling a bit different about the "herd immunity" rubbish he was spouting only a few days ago.

For those who missed it, Prince Charles has also tested positive, though Camilla was negative. The Queen last saw him quite a while beforehand so she probably wasn't exposed via him.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 28 Mar 2020, 10:08

Mythor wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 01:50
Testing a lot of people that don't have it doesn't really serve a purpose, we're kind of wasting a bunch of tests at the moment. But at least some people are being cleared so they can get out of the house and get supplies and such.
The only concern is that those people don't take the right precautions and get it when they're out getting supplies (or other things they're not meant to be doing)... and and we're down one test kit to use to test them when they do have it.
Went to the Post Office today to mail a present and was pleasantly surprised to see people being very sensible about the distancing stuff. Not too many people inside at once and the rest of the line was spaced appropriately on the outside. Coles, on the other hand, felt a bit claustrophobic with so many people not observing the distancing.
We had the same sort of itinerary! I too found the post office pretty reasonable with quite a lot of people wearing masks even. The poor little girl with her mother was looking around at everyone with masks on and was so spooked. The mother didn't know what to tell her.

Woolies was chaotic. I was directed into the express lane from the self serve counters because I had a trolley (???) and the cashier in the express lane then wanted to let the older gent behind me go through first because he only had one loaf of bread... and then he tried to squeeze on through before I could make room. He was barely 1.5cm let alone 1.5m.
Hope Boris Johnson ends up okay, but I bet he's feeling a bit different about the "herd immunity" rubbish he was spouting only a few days ago.
I had the same thought when I heard the news. Bet he also wishes he had locked down sooner (as do most western countries).
For those who missed it, Prince Charles has also tested positive, though Camilla was negative. The Queen last saw him quite a while beforehand so she probably wasn't exposed via him.
My girlfriend said "Good!" when she heard this. Guess she never forgave him for his affair.

A member of my D3 clan said he got it eating an old bat... so wrong yet I couldn't stop chuckling.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 28 Mar 2020, 10:54

Oh Mugsy that was terrible
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » Yesterday, 17:38

Well, now I've been verbally abused and ranted at for 10 minutes because I told my employer I was concerned about Covid-19 and the fact we aren't self isolating and working from home.
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » Yesterday, 19:36

Ahh, there's the Story :D
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Disco

Post by Disco » Yesterday, 19:40

It gets worse.. but eh, I CBF going into it, but lets just say my head has probably moved up the chopping block pecking order.

And you know what? I almost hope it happens, I don't want to work for these people anymore.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Yesterday, 20:35

That's very irresponsible of them to not be getting their staff to self-isolate if it's an option.

I hear the JobSeeker Allowance is pretty decent these days.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » Yesterday, 21:16

Mugsy wrote:
Yesterday, 20:35
That's very irresponsible of them to not be getting their staff to self-isolate if it's an option.

I hear the JobSeeker Allowance is pretty decent these days.
It's absolutely an option, the employer in question openly states that he doesn't believe "working from home can be effective". Unless you're him. At which point, have it.

All this has taught me is that big business cares significantly more about their employees about small business. Off to work tomorrow I go, to wait for the meeting on Thursday, when we all share the same 3 x 4m space, to talk about the pay cuts we need to take to support the business before the business has any financial impact from COVID-19. In fact, COVID-19 is media hype and anyone who looks at the facts knows better, so we should go to work.

I wish I could win the lottery so I could go to work tomorrow and let them to know that due to their cost cutting measures, I unconditionally and voluntarily withdraw my position to help them save money. Never mind the fact that the "three" staff he thinks he could survive with are taking over $300,000 out of the business annually as their salaries. But it's us who have to take a pay cut.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Today, 10:29

The girlfriend is a daycare centre educator so for the past two weeks, we've joked about kids outdoor activities based around teaching them how to stay 1.5m away from each other (it's nigh impossible for a bunch of 1-3yos to do this when they're all together and just want to play).

Looks like her job will be made easier thanks to the Wiggles...

(Maybe)
0 x
CherryRed wrote: