Federal Election 2016! It's on tonight!

Mekon

Re: Federal Election coming on July 2nd. It's on!

Post by Mekon » 11 May 2016, 14:53

Mini wrote:Would be good having a third major in the mix, might make the parties actually have a think about what they are doing.
Technically, it'd be a 4th major party, no? Given that the Liberals and the Nationals are separate parties, despite having been in a Coalition for donkeys years (because neither can get elected on their own merits).

I'm a big fan of a lot of smaller parties (with their own clearly defined policies/goals), none of whom can govern in their own right, but have to collaborate and compromise to get what they want. The push-me/pull-you aspect of Australian politics has always irritated me - one mob gets in, sets a whole bunch of stuff up, next bunch come in and trash it all. It's a pointless exercise of ideological chest-thumping.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 11 May 2016, 16:19

I consider LNP to be one party now. The nationals don't really seem to influence anything and I don't really understand how a coalition can work if the nationals and liberals disagree on something.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Makena

Post by Makena » 11 May 2016, 17:37

Matty wrote:I consider LNP to be one party now. The nationals don't really seem to influence anything and I don't really understand how a coalition can work if the nationals and liberals disagree on something.
Well, the National party disagrees with the Liberal party, the Liberal party then give them a stern look, then the Nationals agree.
1 x

Artful-dodgeR
Location: A part of Victoria that is basically South Australia.

Post by Artful-dodgeR » 12 May 2016, 10:37

I find it amazing that Abbott was named in the Panama papers yet it's basically not shown anywhere in the media...

Oh wait, we're in Australia. Forgot about that totally unbiased media -_-
0 x

Matty

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by Matty » 23 May 2016, 17:33

Spooler wrote:
brimlad wrote:Enrol to vote today or miss the opportunity to vote in this federal election !
Eh ... where I live is so solidly liberal my vote won't make a damn of difference either way ... if it weren't for the threat of the fine I wouldn't vote.
Well I'll probably disregard the views you have on the government, centrelink and work for the dole now. Don't want to vote? Don't really get to criticise then.

Also you don't have to vote, you just need to mark your name off the register. You don't even need to go into the booth, you can just walk out.

EDIT: Ha, just saw this.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... nge-result
3 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 23 May 2016, 17:49

Just helped my cousin enrol and pointed her to the politcal compass thing on ABC and where to find more info on the people in our electorate... feels good man.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 23 May 2016, 17:57

Matty wrote:
Spooler wrote:
brimlad wrote:Enrol to vote today or miss the opportunity to vote in this federal election !
Eh ... where I live is so solidly liberal my vote won't make a damn of difference either way ... if it weren't for the threat of the fine I wouldn't vote.
Well, if you are gonna give up that easily I spose you don't really deserve a say in how the country is run. But I'll probably disregard every opinion/view you have on the government, centrelink and work for the dole now though. Don't want to vote? Don't really get to criticise then.

Also you don't have to vote, you just need to mark your name off the register. You don't even need to go into the booth, you can just walk out.

The irony is if voting wasn't mandatory I'd have more interest in it.
just getting your named marked of the register ... I already have to fight the horde to get through the line to vote ... like ... might aswell ?

As for "don't want to vote you don't get to criticise"
I always laugh when people spout that utter garbage, If political parties were honest and transparent you might have a point but seeing as they're not and will do whatever the fuck their campaign financiers tell them to do anyway voting doesn't really affect policy.

I honestly believe if people didn't have to vote/get them selves crossed off the roll, voting might actually be meaningful due to the people that come from families of solid liberal/labor and will never change their vote not bothering to vote. But untill that time, I'm going to be cynical and assume whoever has the most Media support and largest number of donators will win the election... that or whoever can scream "defecit" the loudest.

Also this year honestly have no idea who to vote for.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

Matty

Post by Matty » 23 May 2016, 18:06

We live in a democracy, you have a choice to vote mate. The only difference is citizens have to put as much thought into not voting as they do to actually voting. Our system is good, it puts equal amount of thought process into being a part of the country or not.

Spooler wrote: As for "don't want to vote you don't get to criticise"
I always laugh when people spout that utter garbage, If political parties were honest and transparent you might have a point but seeing as they're not and will do whatever the fuck their campaign financiers tell them to do anyway voting doesn't really affect policy.
So your idea for a NWO is: Complain about stuff you don't like but refuse to take part in using your voice to shape the rules because "cynicism"?
The system hasn't failed, it's attitudes like this that have failed the rest of us.
2 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 23 May 2016, 18:25

Matty wrote:
Spooler wrote:
Well I'll probably disregard the views you have on the government, centrelink and work for the dole now. Don't want to vote? Don't really get to criticise then.

EDIT: Ha, just saw this.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... nge-result

So much this ^

Every single person i know who donkey votes is one of those that bitches the most about the government. :lol:
1 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 23 May 2016, 19:23

Nekosan wrote: So much this ^

Every single person i know who donkey votes is one of those that bitches the most about the government. :lol:
It's kind of an intertwined belief that the system is bullshit which causes apathy about the whole thing.

Both of the major parties are full of it but I'll vote anyway in the vain hope that something good might happen.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 23 May 2016, 19:44

Matty wrote:
So your idea for a NWO is: Complain about stuff you don't like but refuse to take part in using your voice to shape the rules because "cynicism"?
The system hasn't failed, it's attitudes like this that have failed the rest of us.
I firmly believe going on a rant on this forum will do as much to change policy as voting.

And I do vote I just wish I didn't have to and yes I know technically no one forces you to fill out the paper but you are forced to go to the fucking venue and that right there is the core problem.

The system hasn't failed it's done exactly what it's intended to do keep the same two political parties the coalition by whatever fucking name they had for a given period and labor in power since well ... 1901 ?

Even if I didn't actually vote which I do usually below the line, last time above. It'd make just as much impact as having voted.

If the entire population knew how to inform themselves and then gave enough of a shit to make themselves informed the democratic process might work but as it is now it's governed by "which sound bytes sound best" and "my parents were farmers so i'm voting coalition" voting is about as much an exercise in futility you can get.

And even this ignores the fundamental problem that even if your preferred party gets in nothing guarantees they'll make policy as you expect them to/as they've claimed to.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 23 May 2016, 20:02

Spooler wrote: The system hasn't failed it's done exactly what it's intended to do keep the same two political parties the coalition by whatever fucking name they had for a given period and labor in power since well ... 1901 ?
Can you explain how our democratic system is set up to do this?
1 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 23 May 2016, 20:10

100 years of the same two parties ?.. even if it's not that way by design 100 years of getting the same result kind of tells you what the outcomes of a system are doesn't it ?
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 23 May 2016, 20:15

Spooler wrote:100 years of the same two parties ?.. even if it's not that way by design 100 years of getting the same result kind of tells you what the outcomes of a system are doesn't it ?
Can you explain out voting system then? Because they don't get elected by magic.
1 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 23 May 2016, 20:18

Ah Politics...
1 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 23 May 2016, 20:36

Matty wrote:
Spooler wrote:100 years of the same two parties ?.. even if it's not that way by design 100 years of getting the same result kind of tells you what the outcomes of a system are doesn't it ?
Can you explain out voting system then? Because they don't get elected by magic.
I'm not saying that they do ?

How the system works is irrelevant when that system has only 2 possible outcomes.
100 years of coalition or labor .

Vaas gets me.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 23 May 2016, 20:39

This may sound crazy but, perhaps the majority of voters want either a Labor or Liberal government.
1 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 23 May 2016, 20:46

Mini wrote:Ah Politics...
my bad, sry Mini :)
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 23 May 2016, 20:51

Matty wrote:This may sound crazy but, perhaps the majority of voters want either a Labor or Liberal government.
:lol:

:clap:
1 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 23 May 2016, 21:16

Matty wrote:This may sound crazy but, perhaps the majority of voters want either a Labor or Liberal government.

The majority of voters aren't well informed enough to know what they want. And generally it's about as well thought out as preference of football team.

The proof of this is that the Liberals got voted in on the back of a "debt is bad" scare campaign that anyone with any understanding of economics knows was utter rubbish.
Made better by the fact that they then increased the deficit and there are still people that believe they're not talking out their asses.

People overwhelmingly vote based on their ignorance.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 23 May 2016, 21:27

Spooler wrote:

The majority of voters aren't well informed enough to know what they want. And generally it's about as well thought out as preference of football team.

The proof of this is that the Liberals got voted in on the back of a "debt is bad" scare campaign that anyone with any understanding of economics knows was utter rubbish.
Made better by the fact that they then increased the deficit and there are still people that believe they're not talking out their asses.

People overwhelmingly vote based on their ignorance.
Whoa, calm down there Donald Trump.
2 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 23 May 2016, 21:48

I ... what ... Donald trump is an exact example of what im talking about the people that would and will vote for him are too stupid/incompetent or indifferent to actually be well informed enough to actually make a vote based on anything other than their pre existing bias.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 23 May 2016, 21:56

You basically just said that the people who don't agree with your ideology are ignorant. Good work Spooler. I don't agree with your views and I'm going to vote. Does that rustle your jimmies?
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 23 May 2016, 23:33

Words being put in my mouth here.

Im saying people are ignorant even if you vote the exact same as i do or hold similar opinions. Doesn't mean you actually have any understanding of said opinions.

Although in some cases people with different ideologies are ignorant.
I.e you think homosexuals are unnatural and shouldn't have equal rights you're ignorant. And you know there's people that vote based on shot like that. As mentioned before my perception of things is that people vote based on pre existing bias rather than informed decision.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 24 May 2016, 00:41

I would say a fair chunk of the voter base vote against either Labor or Liberal and so vote for the most likely party to topple them. See Douglas Adams and lizards.

Probably best to confine the political debates to the election thread.
0 x