Australian Parliamentarians a nest of dual citizenries

Sathias

Re: Scott Ludlam resigns over failure to renounce dual citizenship

Post by Sathias » 14 Jul 2017, 15:50

Yet Tony Abbott has steadfastly refused to prove that he no longer has British citizenship.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 14 Jul 2017, 15:57

I like the guy, don't get me wrong. But I have to ask: does that mean he is required to pay back his pollie's salary he's received this whol time?
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 14 Jul 2017, 17:09

Ralph Wiggum wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 15:57
I like the guy, don't get me wrong. But I have to ask: does that mean he is required to pay back his pollie's salary he's received this whol time?
Depends if the government wants him to or not. They let Bob Day off the hook but are going after Rod Culleton for his.

btw I take it back re Tony Abbott, he posted his proof about 20 minutes ago
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 14 Jul 2017, 18:08

Amazing Abbott has this letter now when people have been requesting confirmation for years.

As for Ludlam, what an idiot. Also calls into question whether any checking of this stuff happens as he's been in the Senate for years. How many others are getting away with the same thing?
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 14 Jul 2017, 18:17

I don't even see how its unconstitutional considering the Constitution describes New Zealand as a state of Australia

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/ ... n/preamble (section 6)

Section 44 disqualifies people based on their citizenship of a foreign power, so Ludlam being disqualified means NZ is both a state of Australia and a foreign power, as far as the Constitution is concerned. There is a High Court challenge in that IMO.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 14 Jul 2017, 18:48

New Zealand isn't a state, it's a country. The reference in the constitution was to leave the door open to them joining us as a state or states and people continue to push, from time to time, for it to happen.

The proclamation of the Commonwealth featured only the states we have now, no mention of New Zealand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proclamat ... _Australia

The only grounds for challenge might be if he could reasonably argue he was unaware of his status as a dual citizen and believed he was solely a citizen of Australia. As he was born in New Zealand and moved to Australia quite young, it's possible he could make that argument. Doubtful the court would risk setting that precedent though, the rules are very clear.
0 x

bender

Post by bender » 14 Jul 2017, 23:29

From my understanding the idea behind the law was to make sure there were no conflicts of interest with foreign countries and that the politicians have allegiance to the head of state. Technically the head of state for both countries is the same - the Queen. I guess the wording of the law is clear and cant be interpreted that way, but ultimately both countries serve the Queen.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 15 Jul 2017, 07:34

Scott was a good politician sad to see him go
and I don't think there will be any challenge, it really isn't worth the effort best option for Scott is to renounce his NZ citizenship and run again next election which might not be that far away
and I doubt they will pursue him for money, he has done some great work on the committee circuit and has earned his money and is well respected by the major parties; honest mistake so I doubt there will any grief thrown at him.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 15 Jul 2017, 09:36

bender wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 23:29
From my understanding the idea behind the law was to make sure there were no conflicts of interest with foreign countries and that the politicians have allegiance to the head of state. Technically the head of state for both countries is the same - the Queen. I guess the wording of the law is clear and cant be interpreted that way, but ultimately both countries serve the Queen.
A guy on The Drum said a similar thing, and that a High Court challenge could be successful in cases of Commonwealth countries like you have said.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 15 Jul 2017, 09:48

the other option for Scott that I just heard and Antony Green mentioned is for Scott to renounce NZ the greens appoint no.3 on their ticket and then no.3 resigns creating a causal vacancy that then Scott could take up, messy but possible though given he took leave last year I'm guessing Scott will have a break and assess if he wants back into the political life.
0 x

bender

Post by bender » 15 Jul 2017, 21:47

brimlad wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 09:48
... though given he took leave last year I'm guessing Scott will have a break and assess if he wants back into the political life.
Yeah, I expect that he will just wait for the next election if he wants back in.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

ChainsawMcP

Post by ChainsawMcP » 18 Jul 2017, 00:05

I was not surprised to find out that Abbott had proof but didn't release it when he was asked...

But I was disappointed to learn that Scott was possibly made aware in 2014 that there might be a question - however slight - of him having dual citizenship
https://www.change.org/p/scott-ludlam-s ... -illegally

(Yeah - 10 signatures isn't much - but it's the sort of thing you have to be scrupulous about - so it DOESN'T become a problem)
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 18 Jul 2017, 13:39

And now Larissa Waters has to quit for the same thing

http://greensmps.org.au/larissa-statement
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 18 Jul 2017, 13:57

amazing, Larissa was another stellar politician so sad to see her go... why can't it be the fail politicians that have to leave... it gets worse by the day :(
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 18 Jul 2017, 14:18

Mark DiStefano posted something interesting about Malcolm Roberts...
Long story short (if you can't be arsed clicking through the pics) Roberts was born in India but never had Indian citizenship, according to him. But between 1950 and 1987, anyone born in India automatically got citizenship. Roberts was born in 1955.

I would love it if we saw the back of Senator Empirical Colon.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 18 Jul 2017, 16:07

Very much doubt anyone outside the Greens will be volunteering to step aside. Pretty appalling two from the same party running afoul of the same thing in short order.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 18 Jul 2017, 16:18

One less Greens member is a good thing, right?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 18 Jul 2017, 18:08

Scott Ludlam was pretty much the only member of parliament who understood issues like encryption and privacy in the digital age. Losing him from parliament sucks.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 18 Jul 2017, 18:38

storm84 wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 18:08
Scott Ludlam was pretty much the only member of parliament who understood issues like encryption and privacy in the digital age. Losing him from parliament sucks.
Damn straight.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 15 Aug 2017, 12:23

not sure where to place this but we might need a new thread titled the carnage of section 44, looks like the game has just hotted up with accusations of treason and other tasty things... should be a fun question time !
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 15 Aug 2017, 15:51

That was a fun question time, Julie Bishop going off tap... and there's always humour...
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 15 Aug 2017, 17:43

brimlad wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 12:23
not sure where to place this but we might need a new thread titled the carnage of section 44
Have changed the title to better reflect the current shemozzle that is our government. :D Makena can alter it if he wants to rephrase since it's his topic.

Don't think anyone can really question Barnaby's loyalty to the country, whatever else he might be he's obviously a proud Aussie. But the rules on this are SO CLEAR. He has to go, surely? He can renounce his citizenship of New Zealand and stand in the by-election, and likely win because his constituents probably won't care, but he wasn't eligible for election.
0 x

brimlad

Re: Australian Parliamentarians a nest of dual citizenries

Post by brimlad » 15 Aug 2017, 18:55

good move Mythor, this has legs; one alternative for Malcolm is to invade NZ and claim it as Australian hehe
ye it has been a good day on twitter :D
0 x

Yurtles

Re: Australian Parliamentarians a nest of dual citizenries

Post by Yurtles » 15 Aug 2017, 20:10

All I can think about is how incredibly smug Turnbull was after the Greens senators stepped down. Highly probable he used the word "shambolic" to describe their party. Funny how things can turn out, lol.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.