Steam Controller , Who's got one ?

AzzA82

Steam Controller , Who's got one ?

Post by AzzA82 » 20 Mar 2016, 21:55

I picked one up via amazon international $85 aud

Works a treat for playing Isometric Rpgs on the couch

Played Shadow run Returns + Dragon fall entirely on the SC via in home streaming on the couch , now starting pillars of eternity

How's everyone else finding theirs ?
0 x

Mini

Re: Steam Controller , Who's got one ?

Post by Mini » 21 Mar 2016, 07:56

I'm going to follow this thread, as I really like the look of them, but want to know how they go before I lay the money down on one.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

AzzA82

Post by AzzA82 » 21 Mar 2016, 14:34

They pretty well for what they are
near infinitely configurable , bind alt + F4 to controller gyro , shake to rage quit lol

But in all seriousness , my main desktop is a sim rig so all my other gaming is done on the couch and there is only so many games you can play with a Xbox controller this fills in the gaps.

If you have keyboard and mouse to play on comfortably then this controller may not be worth it , if you are like me and play everything in the loungroom via in home streaming and don't won't to have a couchmaster keyboard tray I can't recommend it more.

It's all the little thing such as Binding of Isacc , you can bind restart to a touchpad click something the original game didn't support

Binding mode shifters in rpgs so the touchpads become on screen menus to access inventory maps quests etc each touch menu can have 20 odd functions

My main Pillars config has both touchpad mode shifted left as scroll wheel for zoom right for menu
Mode shifting is by softly touching the triggers but you can use any button / trigger , I use that so I don't lose buttons as you can still use full trigger click as mouse clicks as the controller treats them as separate inputs

Another nice Idea is using soft trigger pull to mode shift aiming to a lower sensitivity for aiming down the sights in shooters or you can use the gyro , haven't quite got the hang of that yet lol
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 21 Mar 2016, 16:23

Pirateeggs wrote:Calling Pirateeggs
2 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

PirateEggs

Post by PirateEggs » 21 Mar 2016, 16:50

YES I HAVE A STEAM CONTROLLER.
DO I LIKE IT? Yes, I do.
Would I recommend it to someone who wants a controller? No, I would not.

Why would I not recommend something that I like and think is a great piece of hardware? Because it's not simple, it isn't plug and play, it isn't set and forget, it doesn't work natively in every game, it doesn't work flawlessly. If you want a simple controller that just works, get an X360 or XBONE controller.
But, if you're the kind of person who spends their first (or second, or third) day of any RPG, customising your character and what not, then you'll love playing with the Steam controller.

Right now I have 4 controllers on my desk, Razer Sabertooth, Logitech F710, XBONE Controller and Steam Controller. (Ignoring my G27)
My favourite at the moment would have to be the XBONE, using it wired at the moment, haven't been bothered to get an adapter yet.

If anyone has any questions about the Steam Controller though, I'd be happy to try and answer them for you. :)
0 x
ImageImage

AzzA82

Post by AzzA82 » 21 Mar 2016, 17:56

I think we feel the same , its not going to replace a standard controller nor do I think of it as one. It's for playing games that aren't practical for a standard controller.

It fills a niche , of which my preferred game styles and playing format match perfectly

Setup is daunting and it certainly isn't pick the most popular community config and start playing , I've yet to find one I liked and didn't modify to my tastes.

But it gets quicker/easier once your familiar with the possible setups

Plus the first night I honestly wanted to throw it in the bin, you really need time to get your head around all the options.
0 x

AzzA82

Post by AzzA82 » 22 Mar 2016, 20:55

Hmm found a pretty big fault with this 'ere controller

Its not designed for disabled people

Chopped the top of the thumb of today in work accident

Seems Trackpads and bandages are not compatible

Pro tip blunt blades do less damage lol
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 30 Mar 2016, 11:44

I'm pretty happy with my steam controller and have been using it with my Steam link. Both work very well. However, I can't really recommend a Steam controller over an x-box controller, but I'm a mouse and keyboard guy, so all controllers seem the same to me..although I am a bit partial to the twin stick control method used on the PS4 & x-box controllers. (pssst nothing beats KB&M though! :P )
In short, if you already have an x-box/PS4 controller for your PC I don't think it's worth getting a Steam controller. If you currently don't have any form of controller then consider it along side the others and work out if it meets your needs over the others.
0 x

AzzA82

Post by AzzA82 » 15 May 2016, 21:23

So after a few months , I still stand by the steam controller is awesome , in a very specific case

No desktop desk , no keyboard, no mouse, and want to play Crpg games or even non competitive RTS

It can't be beat

Disclaimer my desktop is a sim rig ( no desk space ), so this piece of hardware feels like it was made for me :)

But having said that I haven't picked up my x360 controller since I got it , lets ignore Forza Apex since its windows UAP

And I really really want a Roccat Sova
0 x

Mekon

Post by Mekon » 15 May 2016, 21:26

Picked one up with my Steamlink order from Amazon. Absolutely hate it... far prefer my XBox controller.

Really comes down to the fact that it doesn't do twin-stick in any way competently, courtesy of that "innovative" (read, useless) touch pad thing.

Up for sale if anyone wants it. :)
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 15 May 2016, 22:54

Mekon wrote:Picked one up with my Steamlink order from Amazon. Absolutely hate it... far prefer my XBox controller.

Really comes down to the fact that it doesn't do twin-stick in any way competently, courtesy of that "innovative" (read, useless) touch pad thing.

Up for sale if anyone wants it. :)
I might be interested, how much? Makes it much easier since you are in aus, dont have to worry about trying to get an onshipper.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

AzzA82

Post by AzzA82 » 15 May 2016, 23:32

No onshippers required. Amazon ship direct just check the ship to aus box when searching , but yea if he will do it cheaper go for gold :)
0 x