REVIEW: DOOM [PC / Xbox One / PS4]

Player Attack News straight from the horse's mouth
Mythor

REVIEW: DOOM [PC / Xbox One / PS4]

Post by Mythor » 19 May 2016, 19:12

Doooooooooommmmmmmm! Oh Doom, it must now be one of the longest running game franchises. Doom was originally created by id software in 1993. This was followed by a number of spin offs, Doom II, Doom 3 and finally back to good old Doom again.

Read more here
0 x

vcatkiller

Re: REVIEW: DOOM [PC / Xbox One / PS4]

Post by vcatkiller » 19 May 2016, 22:01

Lets face it. If you love Doom, you will love this Doom – it is really everything you want in a old school shooter. Yes it has some new game shine on it, but it plays, feels and has the same attitude as the original. Some modern shooter fans might find it a little lacking, but if you grew up with Duke Nukem, Unreal, Wolfenstein and the original Doom, you will have some fun with this one.
Problem is, everything I've watched screams new "old school" rather than actual old school. Anybody who remembers games like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D as a series of arenas that fill with badguys for you to shoot are remembering them wrong. I actually remember multipathed levels filled with secrets, clever traps and a sense of exploration as you kill the badguys. Modern developers just don't get it. At all.
0 x

Punkley
Site Admin

Post by Punkley » 19 May 2016, 23:17

They have multipathed areas, and dude, I remember old-school
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 19 May 2016, 23:29

Punkley wrote:They have multipathed areas, and dude, I remember old-school
In that case, you should remember them as not just giant monster spawning arenas. I remember maps like that for Doom, usually they were third party maps made by people with no clue on how to make a level and just getting started out.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 20 May 2016, 08:27

1 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 20 May 2016, 08:38

I'm still on the fence.
I keep hearing conflicting opinions like we have here in the comments of some people calling it true old school, and others saying it still isn't.
Hmm, still pretty keen, but I think I'll wait for a big sale at this point.

Why is it so hard to just do true 100% old school anymore these days? =(
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 20 May 2016, 09:23

Stoibs wrote:I'm still on the fence.
I keep hearing conflicting opinions like we have here in the comments of some people calling it true old school, and others saying it still isn't.
Hmm, still pretty keen, but I think I'll wait for a big sale at this point.

Why is it so hard to just do true 100% old school anymore these days? =(
My thinking is it's because of the likes of Serious Sam and Painkiller. Both of those came out proclaiming themselves as "old school" now every time a dev designs an "old school fps" they're looking at those. Yes, they're fun shooters, but they've become a distorting lens that alters people's perspective of what the old school fps really is.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 20 May 2016, 11:01

Same with the Shadow Warrior reboot that I grew tired of and didn't play for more than about 2hrs I guess. It's a tad unfortunate that the definition and meaning has been warped.
Similarly I finally got around to playing and finishing Wolfenstien the new order the other day. Was very much a linear corridor modern military shooter with regen health and cutscenes etc. yet I kept hearing about how that was a title that 'went back to the roots of oldschool' also.
I was like.. "What? No it didn't.." after finishing it.

I guess it's just yet another change of the times, like how 'survival horror' means action heavy third person shooter with an abundance of weaponry these days; or how 'Adventure game' means Telltale style visual novel without any inventory or puzzle usage, etc. etc.
Truly is the indies and/or crowd sourced things that remain true to their roots and need to be followed more than ever.
:(
0 x

PALADiN

Post by PALADiN » 22 May 2016, 23:41

The start of the campaign made me not regret my purchase. When you put on the suit, you get an incoming voice comm but you're like "fuck that noise" and just swat the panel away.
0 x
XBL/PSN/Origin/Uplay: PalZer0
Steam: http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/PALADiN
Twitter: @PalZer0

AnRiv

Post by AnRiv » 23 May 2016, 17:37

NotThatDoug wrote:Image
hahahaha genius XD
0 x

vcatkiller