Australian Parliamentarians a nest of dual citizenries

ButterflyEffect

Re: Australian Parliamentarians a nest of dual citizenries

Post by ButterflyEffect » 17 Aug 2017, 19:55

Deputy National leader also a dual national!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-17/f ... de/8817998
0 x
Go on,try it. I promise you won't end up on Youtube.

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 17 Aug 2017, 19:58

2017 is so fucken weird
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 17 Aug 2017, 20:03

I suspect there're all shape changers from the planet Zonk... all hail the Zonkians for they are wise and trumpiods ...

well at least parliament doesn't sit on a Friday so we have a few days of respite :shock: :roll:
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 17 Aug 2017, 21:14

ButterflyEffect wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 19:55
Deputy National leader also a dual national!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-17/f ... de/8817998
Waited until a minute before the Senate knocks off to say anything, though she's known since Monday. Scumbag.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

linxus

Post by linxus » 17 Aug 2017, 21:33

So the Nats are about as good as the Greens when it comes to checking up on their MPs backgrounds :D :D
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 18 Aug 2017, 08:59

brimlad wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 20:03
I suspect there're all shape changers from the planet Zonk... all hail the Zonkians for they are wise and trumpiods ...

well at least parliament doesn't sit on a Friday so we have a few days of respite :shock: :roll:
Someone on Twitter said "It's almost as if all the white people aren't from here!" Got a bit of a chuckle out of that :lol:
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 18 Aug 2017, 11:57

fiona nash is seriously dodgy, she new on Monday she dual citz but waited till 2 minutes before the end of the week before the 2 week break to announce it to parliament !

NZ is having fun with it good read this...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/ ... d=11906059

and Laura Tingle sums it up pretty good...

http://www.afr.com/opinion/its-off-to-t ... 817-gxyicu
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 18 Aug 2017, 14:18

All of these people knew the requirements when joining parliament. If they didn't bother to check their citizenship status, it's their own damn fault. It is a pretty stupid requirement given we are a nation of migrants and that we live in a more global world than ever before, but the rules are the rules.
0 x

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 18 Aug 2017, 14:40

I think that assuming that someone told them that they had to actively renounce citizenship that they had never asked for, is a bit of a stretch.

Personally I think this whole situation is a storm in a teacup, that needs to be resolved by the high court.
If I thought they were competent, I would think this is a distraction tactic.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 18 Aug 2017, 15:04

I don't know about you guys but I was well aware of my citizenship potential by the time I was in my mid 20s, and so did many friends of mine. Reason being was that I did the thing of living/working overseas for a year or so and needed to know what visas I required and what options I had. As it turns out, I'm 6th generation Aussie on every side (mum's, biological dad's, adopted dad's) so I didn't have any other citizenship options available. Other friends had parents or grandparents from other countries so had more options available, and some took up their residency or dual-citizenship status.

And this is with regards to young adults in their 20s who never thought of being politicians and hence didn't have strict Constitutional restrictions on them. So I guess I am trying to say that being aware of this stuff is not unusual, and any politician who isn't has been grossly negligent. Except maybe Nick X, because the idea that a Cypriot father could mean his son is British is just weird.

There is a reason that all of the people sprung so far are not from the 2 major parties (i.e. Nats not being part of the Libs officially) because I reckon the 2 majors have much better processes in place to stop this stuff from happening. It's ironic because the Libs got spanked in the last election, and the Nats actually did pretty well, in effect saved the Coalition from defeat. Now it looks like the Nats' sloppiness could even cost them government.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 18 Aug 2017, 15:28

If nothing else (and I agree with Sathias, it was something I figured out when I was a teenager), it's due diligence on the part of what it means to run for office in this country. If they can jump through all the other hoops required for a tilt at parliament, they can find this out.
0 x

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 18 Aug 2017, 15:36

But apparently they couldn't.
Was it not made clear to them, or did people think it wasn't important?
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 18 Aug 2017, 15:54

Sathias wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 15:04
Except maybe Nick X, because the idea that a Cypriot father could mean his son is British is just weird.
No excuse for him either. He might not have known he could be British but he could have had Cypriot citizenry. Bet he didn't check that either.

If this was the first time it had ever been an issue some leniency would be fair. It's not. The first time Jackie Kelly (Liberal) was elected in the seat of Lindsay a by-election had to be held because she was still employed by the RAAF and because she hadn't renounced her NZ citizenship.

There's a whole host of things you need to do before nominating to run in an election, particularly if you're running as a member of a party. Checking your citizenship status, particularly for those born overseas, should be a no-brainer. But I think we've seen you don't really need a brain to be in politics!

Also, the notion that the Nationals are a separate party is a farce. They're the bumpkin arm of the Liberal party.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 18 Aug 2017, 15:54

André Axe'm wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 15:36
But apparently they couldn't.
Was it not made clear to them, or did people think it wasn't important?
I guess it is the responsibility of the party to do that, they do orientation at Parliament House for new MPs/Senators but by that stage they are already elected. If the party doesn't have good enough processes in place they might not check all the eligibility requirements they should.

Being that people are now being busted for having pecuniary interests with the Federal government, I can't for the life of me see how Clive Palmer was ever eligible. Surely amongst all his business interests, one of them has a financial interest in a government project?

I reckon it's just a case that no-one really checked up on these things too closely before. I've read Eric Abetz was in parliament for 15 years or so before he gave up his German citizenship. This current furore was kicked off by an independent journalist who was looking into Hinch's eligibility, Hinch wrote an interesting column on it this week.
Some of you might remember those childhood games of dominoes and pick-up-sticks? Jeez, I thought of them this week.

If that constitutional legal nerd, Perth lawyer John Cameron, hadn’t decided a month ago to go after my antecedents, hadn’t gone sniffing around in Wellington to see if I had renounced my Kiwi citizenship, the Turnbull government might not be in the “deep doodoo” it is now. The dominoes might not have fallen. The sticks might not have moved.

Deputy Prime Minister and National Party leader Barnaby Joyce — aka Crocodile Dunedin — might have avoided being exposed as an All Black by descent. Come on down, Baa-naby! As many newspaper headline writers dubbed him this week.

Greens leader Richard Di Natale told me, with some passion, this week: “It’s all your fault.”

You see, Cameron came after me. He got Greens Deputy Leader Scott Ludlam as collateral damage and then the rest of the dominoes started to fall.

Cameron told the Weekend Australian: “I checked about three weeks ago with the NZ Department of Internal Affairs and applied to search the register in relation to Mr Ludlam and Senator Hinch. I expected the Human Headline may not have done it and Mr Ludlam would have done it, but it was the other way around.”

“I received the certificate for Mr Ludlam which showed he was still a citizen but for Mr Hinch the certificate shows that he renounced his citizenship before the last election.”

So, queries about my citizenship (where I proved to be one of the few responsible cleanskins) could bring down this shambolic, clumsy, government.

Ludlam fell, then Larissa Waters failed scrutiny, and then Malcolm Roberts and then Barnyard Barnaby. And, in a desperate manoeuvre to muddy the waters the usually astute and level-headed Foreign Minister Julie Bishop bowled underarm to New Zealand.

Then we saw really tawdry behaviour from the “chief law officer in the land” as they call him, Senator George Brandis, as he tried to suspend standing orders to censure the Opposition’s Leader in the Senate, and opposition foreign affairs spokeswoman Penny Wong.

He accused her of “inappropriate conduct” — pretty mild when words like “treason” were being tossed around the other place — but he then alleged Wong had engaged “in conduct which makes her unfit to ever hold the office of Foreign Minister of Australia”.

I invoked the ire of Senator Doug Cameron by announcing I would support the suspension of standing orders. He claimed that my support gave the defamatory Brandis motion credibility.

I pointed out that I will never gag debate in the chamber. And, as I told the Senate, I supported the government in trying (they failed) to get the issue to the floor, but had told Brandis in advance I would vote against a censure motion, which I considered a smokescreen for Barnaby Joyce and the government’s citizenship quagmire.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 18 Aug 2017, 15:58

Mythor wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 15:54
Also, the notion that the Nationals are a separate party is a farce. They're the bumpkin arm of the Liberal party.
Sure, in effect they are the Libs puppets, but in an organisational sense they are managed separately. Well, now that I think about it, Barnaby and Nash are both NSW so they would be part of the NSW Nationals, Canavan is in QLD so would be part of the combined QLD LNP.

So yeah I would partially agree in Canavan's case especially.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 19 Aug 2017, 12:36

Yep, Xenophon is a dual citizen too

http://www.news.com.au/national/politic ... 9d8cbfde24
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 20 Aug 2017, 20:42

Man, the karma for leaking the RFT came at him at mach speed.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 25 Aug 2017, 11:32

kiwis have a sense of humour... :D
while the Allblacks know how to inflict pain :(
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 11 Sep 2017, 10:33

these videos by Huw Parkinson are quite funny... the latest high court outsourced :)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-10/h ... 44/8889658
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 27 Oct 2017, 15:11

5/7 ineligible. lol
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 27 Oct 2017, 16:03

Hilarious! By-election in the seat of New England set for December 2nd, Tony Windsor won't run against Barnaby though.

Still, it would be even funnier if Barnaby lost his seat after this. What a bell end.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 27 Oct 2017, 18:40

Barnaby is a dead cert to get back in if Windsor doesn't run, shame. So glad that Roberts is gone though. Word is he is running in the seat of Ipswitch in the QLD state election.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 01 Nov 2017, 16:15

And now #6 is gone.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 01 Nov 2017, 17:41

There is also a number 8 with Stephen Parry now revealing himself to be a dual citizen.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... zcjxc.html
0 x