Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
jambo

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by jambo » 14 Aug 2017, 10:15

Getting back in to NMS as well, I forgot how nice it is to just be in that universe.

0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 14 Aug 2017, 10:24

What exactly do you to in NMS? Is it just Minecraft in space?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 14 Aug 2017, 10:41

It's an exploration game for me mostly. While the drive for the exploration is often about finding resources to build stuff, it's still just the joy of going places and seeing new things (and scanning it all to sell the info later).

So far, I've made 5 warp jumps (stopping each time to locate the resources to make the components of a warp battery), met 20+ aliens, learned maybe 30 words of the Korvax language, built myself a lovely home base and destroyed 80 sentinels (annoying little robot shitheads). Within that I've taken a raft of screenshots to capture the insanely gorgeous juxtaposition of planetary scenery and nearby planets and AI fleets.

Think of it as Euro Truck Sim 2 in space, if that helps. I put 4 hours in last night with exactly ZERO steps made towards the centre of the galaxy, just enjoying life in the 'verse and ticking off the excellent new random missions you can pick up in space stations.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 14 Aug 2017, 10:42

You wake up on a planet next to a crashed ship.

You run around and collect resources to fix it, and then fly around the planet or out in to space.

You can fly to other planets or space stations, or even to new systems, but you will always need to upgrade your ship to warp farther, or have better guns or more inventory space.

There's also a story, which was just overhauled in the patch from last week, where you can visit special space stations with a bit of a religious feel to the story.

The main goal is to get to the centre of the galaxy, which takes a while. They also added base building so you can concentrate on that if you want instead. You can farm and research and hire aliens to carry out tasks.

The new patch also added missions, so that's another option if you don't want to follow the 2 main story paths.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 14 Aug 2017, 10:56

That's a much better overview!

Would add that base-building is quite brilliant in that you can teleport there from space stations so you might make your way to the galactic centre but can still get to your base whenever you want.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 19 Aug 2017, 12:33

Right, NMS to the side for a short while (5 nights in a row, 22 hours is quite enough for now).

Anyone played Styx before? Very tidy little stealth game. Nothing fantastic to recommend it, it's just a good stealthy grind.

Grabbed a few new games recently and will add F1 2017 to it next Friday. Bonus time approaches, there'll be a few new games in the coming weeks before an horrendous drought for the rest of the year.

UFC 2: 'tis beautiful to behold in slow-mo when you see trails of bloody splaying about.

We Happy Few: new Life in Technicolour update is out (I have it on Xbox Preview) so I'm quite excited to see how that goes... downloading now.

Bought Xbox Game Pass, $10 a month for a bunch of free games, surprisingly quite a few I don't already own on Xbox! Now downloading Res Evil 6, DiRT Rally, Mad Max and Halo 5.

Wife and eldest are at the cinema watching Deplorable Me 3 and the youngest is sleeping. This is the most peace I've experienced in a very long time.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 19 Aug 2017, 14:43

Why didn't anyone tell me how fun Black Flag is?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Artful-dodgeR
Location: A part of Victoria that is basically South Australia.

Post by Artful-dodgeR » 19 Aug 2017, 18:23

FYI Disco, Black Flag is fun AF. You should play it.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 19 Aug 2017, 18:39

Started Prey today. They ripped that intro / tutorial right out of Half Life.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 19 Aug 2017, 22:05

Do you smash a headcrab with a crowbar?
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 20 Aug 2017, 00:16

Artful-dodgeR wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 18:23
I have been, grabbed it on XB1 last week and have been enjoying the shit out of it
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 20 Aug 2017, 01:41

Gave Foxhole a good go tonight and once I'd found a good squad it was lots of fun.

Foxhole is the 140 player iso-RTS that has recently been building a solid playerbase on Steam.

General sequence of events for me so far is;

* mine scrap
* take scrap to manufacturing plant to refine into building materials
* use building materials to either create weapons or support building crews across the map
* for weapons, take the disassembled weapons and ammunition to Town Hall for assembly, this gives everyone access to creating their own
* for building crews, either build a truck at the truck depot (resource and time intensive) or find someone already doing supply runs and join them (that's what I did tonight)
* if you do well by other players, you can receive commendations which bolster your rank.. rank does little but ensure more people listen to you

If you want, you can locate the frontline and get in the fight, but whoever is there doing that is dependent on the supply chain behind them.

Very cool game concept and quite fun to play, if a little slow (build timers for weapons/etc can be up to 5 minutes which is a little bit punishing). Certainly everyone is very helpful and polite (partially driven by the commendations system).

Looking forward to more of this, including my first taste of combat, in the coming week.

EDIT:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1115152293
...an example of the impact of timers. A player call Magical had advised the team he had built sledgehammers at our main base. These are used to gain components from rusted tank shells that can be used to level up buildings and create more things... problem was, it's a 5 minute timer and he called it before he placed the order so 3 supply trucks and a bunch of players showed up only to wait around forever.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 20 Aug 2017, 13:09

My first Top 10 in PUBG with a 7th place finish. Got very lucky at the start choosing a house that ended up just 200 meters outside of the last few zones.

Good game, but makes me want to play Escape from Tarkov. EDIT: Fuck it. Preordered.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 20 Aug 2017, 20:39

Disco wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 00:16
Artful-dodgeR wrote:
I have been, grabbed it on XB1 last week and have been enjoying the shit out of it
It's one of my favourite games. After playing it it really made me wish there were more pirate games.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 20 Aug 2017, 20:52

Matty wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 20:39
Disco wrote:
Artful-dodgeR wrote:
It's one of my favourite games. After playing it it really made me wish there were more pirate games.
Lucky there's 2 coming out next year :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... ut-in-2018
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Disco

Post by Disco » 21 Aug 2017, 08:58

Matty wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 20:39
Disco wrote:
Artful-dodgeR wrote:
As usual I wish it had Co-op
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 21 Aug 2017, 10:37

black flag is good fun definitely my favourite AC
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 21 Aug 2017, 11:39

At work now, all I want to do is go home and play more Black Flag, seriously fun little game although I'm not very good at naval combat when I get ganged up on
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 21 Aug 2017, 23:14

Okay so yeah, I'm feelin' PUBG at the moment. Weapons and shooting are fucking spot on which helps a lot, world-building is superb, but it's that desire to be one of the last remaining that keeps me going. Two top 10s so far which I'm reasonably happy with, probably could have hit top 5 tonight if I could have seen through the grass in-front of me.

What is it with crates though? The 700BP crates are almost impossible to open, just endless clicking and reconnecting, really annoying.

Also played more Tarkov. Certainly is brutal, pretty, gunplay is magnificent... but online just seems so punishing. You can pay a lot to insure your items, but if you get killed you only get them back if no-one picked the items off of your dead body and you have to lodge a claim within 24 hours of dying. That's why I keep reading knife strategies for Factory... just run around with a blade and nothing on you so that way if you die you lose nothing. Not a very well balanced game if that's the best starter-strat. It's got a huge amount of promise too... world-building is incredibly good, lots of boutique assets, great landscaping and massive play-spaces.. it's just that so far I'm not risking my newly bought AK-74u on a game with no Oceanic servers (and therefore the potential for crippling lag).

Devs have acknowledged this and will be bringing AU servers online which is welcome, if they can just rebalance the punishing nature of online play this will end up being something of a minor hit.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 21 Aug 2017, 23:25

Zelda BotW is definitely my favourite game of the year, sorry PUBG, hanging out to see what what Mario + Rabbids kingdom battle is like. Switch is definitely paying for itself though
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 Aug 2017, 08:48

DarkMellie wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 23:14
Okay so yeah, I'm feelin' PUBG at the moment. Weapons and shooting are fucking spot on which helps a lot, world-building is superb, but it's that desire to be one of the last remaining that keeps me going. Two top 10s so far which I'm reasonably happy with, probably could have hit top 5 tonight if I could have seen through the grass in-front of me.

What is it with crates though? The 700BP crates are almost impossible to open, just endless clicking and reconnecting, really annoying.
PUBG is now my most played game of all time on Steam, Nekosan and I hit top 2-3 and manage wins fairly often, not sure what you're talking about by the crates though? They work/open for me the only problem being they're utterly pointless.. You can spend tens of thousands of BP on them and only end up with the same items.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mini

Post by Mini » 22 Aug 2017, 09:06

I buy crates in the hope of getting something I can sell for a few cents on Steam...
I might grab one of the new crates and sell it on steam as they are worth a bit unopened
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 Aug 2017, 09:10

I'm just not into them, I see a lot of people running around in bright yellow clothes at the moment, which is great, it makes them easier to see at range :D
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 22 Aug 2017, 10:00

They just don't open. I click open, nothing happens, sometimes the game will go back to the 'connect' screen.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 Aug 2017, 10:14

I ever gotten about 55% through Shadow of Mordor on my second playthrough, and I feel done with the game. It's been fun, butt this playthrough hasn't the same magic as the first time I played.

Time to move onto Prey.
0 x