Federal Election 2016! It's on tonight!

Mythor

Federal Election 2016! It's on tonight!

Post by Mythor » 08 May 2016, 15:33

The election has finally been called and it is, as expected, a double dissolution election. For those who don't know a double dissolution means all seats in both the House of Representatives and Senate are vacated, where usually it is only half the Senate seats up for grabs each election.

If you have turned 18 since the most recent election in your area, or you will turn 18 before July 2nd, you should enrol to vote! You can enrol online these days, see the AEC website for more details: http://aec.gov.au/enrol/

I know it seems like a chore to vote at times but we're lucky enough to have free and open elections so you should get out and vote. :thumbup:

Please try and keep discussion in this thread civil. I'm sure things will get heated, especially with such a long election campaign, just... play nice. :shifty:
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Mini

Re: Federal Election coming on July 2nd. It's on!

Post by Mini » 08 May 2016, 16:25

Thanks for the reminder, just went and changed my residential address after moving recently.
Much easier now I can do it all online, instead of having to fill out lots of forms and mail them...

And well now I really need to learn what all the parties are promising, remove 3/4's of them, and decide which I like better...
Anyone know of a website that shows the promises of both parties compared?
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Makena

Post by Makena » 08 May 2016, 16:49

Mini wrote:Thanks for the reminder, just went and changed my residential address after moving recently.
Much easier now I can do it all online, instead of having to fill out lots of forms and mail them...

And well now I really need to learn what all the parties are promising, remove 3/4's of them, and decide which I like better...
Anyone know of a website that shows the promises of both parties compared?
Promise tracker:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-08/p ... up/7379572

If you want to see how your views match up with the various political parties:

https://votecompass.abc.net.au/
1 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 08 May 2016, 18:07

Woot :mrgreen:

Being a bit of a politics nerd, I tend to enjoy elections more than is probably normal :eh:
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Disco

Post by Disco » 08 May 2016, 18:09

Well that didn't help me much at all :lol:

GRN: 53%
ALP: 52%
LNP: 49%

Not likely to vote for the Greens in this lifetime, but not much difference between the ALP and LNP.. but I'd rather vote for the LNP, no idea why.

Still.. would rather just not bother voting if I had the choice!
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mini

Post by Mini » 08 May 2016, 18:17

Haha, I'm pretty close to that too Disco

GRN: 54%
ALP: 52%
LNP: 51%
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 08 May 2016, 18:22

May I ask why people won't vote for the Greens? Is it because it's not one of the big 2 (therefore the worse person might get in) or is it some policy thing?

Only policy of theirs that I know about and don't agree with is the nuclear stuff, but no major party is going to really push that for the next 20 years anyway so it's a moot point.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 08 May 2016, 18:24

I'm not against the Greens, I think I put them above the other 2 majors last election.
I'm really not sure who to go for this time around, I need to look at some policies and decide...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Makena

Post by Makena » 08 May 2016, 18:29

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:May I ask why people won't vote for the Greens? Is it because it's not one of the big 2 (therefore the worse person might get in) or is it some policy thing?

Only policy of theirs that I know about and don't agree with is the nuclear stuff, but no major party is going to really push that for the next 20 years anyway so it's a moot point.
I don't really get it either, you'll have people who clearly think like a political party they don't like, ie greens or labor, but will still vote for the Liberals/Nationals because reasons. (Or vice versa, if you agreed with LNP policies but won't vote for them either), if you thoughts align with them, why not vote for them?

Why not vote for The Greens if you like their policies? If you're just assuming you won't agree with them, actually look at what they are and see if you do agree on specifics, instead of just assuming you won't.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 08 May 2016, 18:30

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:May I ask why people won't vote for the Greens? Is it because it's not one of the big 2 (therefore the worse person might get in) or is it some policy thing?

Haha, I'm very much the token redneck, someone update my forum title to token redneck :lol: The Greens have some pretty strong thoughts on a lot of my lifestyle choices around the outdoors, hunting, gun control etc. that I don't agree with, and I certainly don't agree in how they've been seen to manipulate information in the past or outright lie/providing misleading information.

No interest in starting a pro/anti gun debate, just my 2c :thumbup:
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 08 May 2016, 18:31

My Vote Compass thing came out reasonably as expected

Greens - 69%
Labor - 61%
Liberal - 41%
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 08 May 2016, 18:33

@Disco - Fair enough on the gun stuff, they really don't like hunting and so forth. Doesn't really affect me so I don't see it as an issue and I don't think the Vote Compass site does either.

I wouldn't put them out there as the only party that lies and manipulates data to their own benefit. They all do it, it's just how much you care about what they are lying and manipulating data on :)
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 08 May 2016, 18:39

I have been known to vote Green in the past, but I go on and off them tbh. While they are a reasonably good fit for me policy wise (although I'm a bit more centre-left than left wing) I don't like how they get a bit sanctimonious about the politics sometimes, like they are above it somehow. I think their teaming up with the Libs on Senate reform killed that idea for good. Having said that, I reckon Scott Ludlam is the best politician in Canberra. Apart from maybe Albo :P

While I've also gone off and on the ALP during the most recent parliament, Shorten really seems to be showing something right now that he wasn't before, I can't help but think he was playing possum to get through the tricky post-election opposition leader phase. I'm likely to vote a combination of Labor in the lower house (I like my local member) and Nick X in the Senate. The Greens will likely be 2 on both tickets.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 08 May 2016, 18:49

Heh, wasn't expecting these results, interesting.

GRN 85%
ALP 72%
LNP 37%
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 08 May 2016, 19:02

Are labour gonna go back to ftth if they get in? Priorities
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 08 May 2016, 19:19

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:@Disco - Fair enough on the gun stuff, they really don't like hunting and so forth. Doesn't really affect me so I don't see it as an issue and I don't think the Vote Compass site does either.

I wouldn't put them out there as the only party that lies and manipulates data to their own benefit. They all do it, it's just how much you care about what they are lying and manipulating data on :)
That's exactly why I've picked up on it, because it's something I'm interested in, for the most part other than a few big issues I have noooo idea what they're talking about! And yeah, if the Vote compass site picked up on that I expect the results would have changed. Even FTTP wouldn't be enough to get me to vote Green
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 08 May 2016, 21:25

Green 91%
ALP 69%
LNP 35%

Traditionally I've voted Labor but after Shorten's remarks that a person on $180,000 a year isn't rich and his opposition of the $1.6 million tax on super I'm beginning to think he might be out-of-touch albeit not to the same degree as Turnbull.

I don't think either major party will deliver a futureproof NBN.

Neither major party has economic credibility as both refuse to reveal how their long term policies will be funded. If I'm expected to support thought bubble policies that aren't costed I'll go with the Greens as theyir policies won't increase inequality to the same extent of the two majors.

I don't agree with the current inhumane border policies that encourage racist and xenophobic sentiments which both majors support.
kharis wrote:Are labour gonna go back to ftth if they get in? Priorities Image
I'm sure the LNP will sign a lot of FTTN and HFC contracts with Telstra and Optus that contain poison pill clauses so Labor are forced to continue rolling out fraudband. A lot of politicians have shares in or connections to Telstra and I've not doubt the LNP would screw the taxpayer to increase the value of their shares and/or connections with Telstra.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 09 May 2016, 00:38

Disco wrote:The Greens have some pretty strong thoughts on a lot of my lifestyle choices around the outdoors, hunting, gun control etc. that I don't agree with, and I certainly don't agree in how they've been seen to manipulate information in the past or outright lie/providing misleading information.
Disco wrote:but I'd rather vote for the LNP, no idea why.
But LNP were literally the people who took your guns away from you.
1 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 09 May 2016, 07:32

More likely that they will back a Fibre to the Curb model, where fibre goes down your street and you can either connect with copper for the last few metres for free, or fibre at your own cost. NBN is looking at trial installations and the expectation is that model is about the same cost as FTTN.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 09 May 2016, 09:16

Matty wrote:
Disco wrote:The Greens have some pretty strong thoughts on a lot of my lifestyle choices around the outdoors, hunting, gun control etc. that I don't agree with, and I certainly don't agree in how they've been seen to manipulate information in the past or outright lie/providing misleading information.
Disco wrote:but I'd rather vote for the LNP, no idea why.
But LNP were literally the people who took your guns away from you.
I meant to write ALP :(
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 09 May 2016, 11:20

Important thing to remember - it doesn't matter who you vote for, as in 6 months time their party will most likely vote them out and put in whoever they want anyway!

It's not like that isn't the state of politics today. ;)
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 09 May 2016, 11:50

Malcolm is definitely winning... that is winning the race on how not to use social media... yesterday we got a happy mothers day tweet at 6.30 am, thanks Mal we didn't want to sleep in, and again today at 6.30am. I'm in Perth atm Mal and I don't want my phone rumbling with excitement at 6.30am lol
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 09 May 2016, 11:51

I've given up on all forms of politics now after QLD voted yes to 4yr terms with no upper house. It was the last straw. I get checked off, look busy for a minute and walk out.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 09 May 2016, 13:20

Sathias wrote:
More likely that they will back a Fibre to the Curb model, where fibre goes down your street and you can either connect with copper for the last few metres for free, or fibre at your own cost. NBN is looking at trial installations and the expectation is that model is about the same cost as FTTN.
What we're not being told is how much more expensive the remediation costs for ducts and pits will be with FTTdp.

IMO FTTdp is just smoke and mirrors designed obfuscate the LNP's abysmal MTM policy which the LNP know won't meet current needs for SMBs and will be insufficient for larger households and multidwellings that aren't large enough to warrant FTTB.

FTTdp where it has been rolled out internationally is partly about trying to avoid cost blowouts for copper remediation. 90% of the faults in the Copper Access Network (CAN) are between the pillar up to and including the customer's premises, a significant percentage of those faults are between the pillar and premises Network Boundary Point (NBP) which is currently the responsibility of Telstra but will become the responsibility of NBN as areas are handed over to NBN Co.

With FTTN some lines will have up to a dozen joints and that's a lot of failure points before including the copper itself, customer lead-in and modem.
Bicketybam wrote:Important thing to remember - it doesn't matter who you vote for, as in 6 months time their party will most likely vote them out and put in whoever they want anyway!
The LNP don't need to knife Abbott as they already have Abbott-lite in Turnbull.
Nitephyre wrote:I've given up on all forms of politics now after QLD voted yes to 4yr terms with no upper house. It was the last straw. I get checked off, look busy for a minute and walk out.
I just don't buy that longer terms will result in better governance, it's more likely governments will break policies frequently in the first two years, then attempt to pork-barrel their way to an election win in the last year of their term.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 09 May 2016, 15:30

Certainly dropping the Senate was a bad plan. Means the elected party can do whatever they want with no effective oversight until the next election.
0 x