dotarray
Site Admin

Re: My GON Postmortem

Post by dotarray » 17 Nov 2015, 13:56

*raises glass*
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 17 Nov 2015, 14:11

Fascinating write-up. I was at GameArena long before I had heard of GON and I forgot all about COGS. I won't pretend to know what would have been best for GON but I don't think a paid sub system would have been a good idea either, partly for the reasons you mentioned. You mentioned Battlefield admins doing it rough with limited tools; I never really played Battlefield after 1942 but after watching Slayer deal with tons of reports in IRC I always got the impression he was a really good and effective admin.

I'd love to eventually see community servers at Player Attack. I imagine a couple could eventually be thrown together based on demand and funded by patreon or something. Or not; I don't really know what the costs would be.
0 x

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 17 Nov 2015, 14:14

Oh, Slayer did amazingly. But compared to source based games, battlefield tools were always severely lacking.
0 x

MUG

Post by MUG » 17 Nov 2015, 14:19

Fireslide wrote:Oh, Slayer did amazingly. But compared to source based games, battlefield tools were always severely lacking.
Battlefield 4 yeah, but Battlefield 3 had very similar to HL Tools, so I wouldn't say always.

Either way I wouldn't want Slayer stalking me, he is a bloodhound on a mission and very good at it. ;)
0 x

-Slayer-

Post by -Slayer- » 17 Nov 2015, 14:24

Fireslide wrote:Oh, Slayer did amazingly. But compared to source based games, battlefield tools were always severely lacking.
That quote does not make any sense, I must be reading it wrong.. :?

The TOOLS broke years and years ago.

Their are no inhouse tools for BC2 (yes we still have servers) no inhouse tools for BF3 no inhouse tools for BF4 everything broke and is now run off site to keep them viable, let me say if I wasn't able to get all the anti-cheat systems setup and other stuff as well and the types of plugins and admin alert system I use on all the servers to keep them viable, I would have recommended the BC2/BF3/BF4 servers be shut down years ago. BF2142 servers taken down because of the cheater problems and unable to manage them properly.

Back to BF2, I will say and a big thank you to Ugly for those tools he did for BF2 (harvest system and other stuff) were the most awesome I had seen but after that the tools went to pieces everything broke with forum upgrades takeovers/mergers with no one in UPPER UPPER management to support us, Cas then Tim tried their best but got fobbed off.

Then TPG took over and have reemed everyone and didn't even have the guts to put their name to the shut down of GON.

I'm a staff member at Metabans, though I've also now gone to a global anti-cheat organisation PBBans as a staff member, with the most coolest tools, just a pity the servers aren't around to really use them, though I can now look at the rest of the world. :)

p.s forgot to mention all the COD admins had the same troubles as Battlefield broken tools and so on.... plus some of the other game types GON ran.
Last edited by -Slayer- on 17 Nov 2015, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 17 Nov 2015, 15:09

Cheers Firey. :oops:

Still pretty sure you cheat in TF2. Rare to find anyone any better with that sniper rifle, even now. :P

I remember the first time I played in an Admins vs Randoms TF2 match and was roped in on the Admin side as not enough actual admins had turned up. A sign of things to come, had I known. :lol:
Nacimota wrote:I'd love to eventually see community servers at Player Attack. I imagine a couple could eventually be thrown together based on demand and funded by patreon or something. Or not; I don't really know what the costs would be.
It's come up before. ;)
It's really not just a question of the costs involved though, to do it properly requires a decent time commitment from one or more people, otherwise it's just another half-assed server, of which there are already so very many.

That's one of the reasons IGN/GON got so big and popular, it had the time and money invested into it. Fireslide's post is an insight into just some of the things that were going on behind the scenes to improve or sometimes just prop up the place.

But I feel like I'm just going to do a long post of my own if I carry on... :|
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 17 Nov 2015, 15:18

I remember poor Urban Terror admins having plenty to keep them busy. That was probably one of the first games I played on Gon servers and there never seemed to be a shortage of hackers, but the admins always did their bit when I submitted a tmr. They were probably a happy (or relieved) bunch when those servers got shutdown!
0 x

-Slayer-

Post by -Slayer- » 17 Nov 2015, 15:23

Mearehear wrote:I remember poor Urban Terror admins having plenty to keep them busy. That was probably one of the first games I played on Gon servers and there never seemed to be a shortage of hackers, but the admins always did their bit when I submitted a tmr. They were probably a happy (or relieved) bunch when those servers got shutdown!
Hell yeah I can still remember a certain admin going off in IRC about the cheaters and the stupid and only way they had to ban them. :P

Internode/games.on.net have had some great times over the years but the last few years has seen the brand name take a huge dive, such a shame to be honest.

It will hit the loyal/faithful player base pretty hard seeing 265 servers will be shutting down.
0 x

stingtwo

Post by stingtwo » 17 Nov 2015, 17:24

I remember when site went through a redesign and no admin had access to anything for 2 months or so, it really made us look like useless shits to the players.
0 x

MUG

Post by MUG » 17 Nov 2015, 17:53

stingtwo wrote:I remember when site went through a redesign and no admin had access to anything for 2 months or so, it really made us look like useless shits to the players.
Was it only 2 months? I though it was longer, sure seemed like it at the time.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 17 Nov 2015, 18:05

Is that the one at the end of 2012? Yeah, I thought was about 3 months...
0 x

stingtwo

Post by stingtwo » 17 Nov 2015, 18:16

I can't recall now, we must of gotten so angry with it time flew by :P
0 x

Celticangel82

Post by Celticangel82 » 17 Nov 2015, 18:51

Well said. I wonder if the nwn edon community will set up their own forums.
0 x

bender

Post by bender » 18 Nov 2015, 00:57

Mythor wrote:Still pretty sure you cheat in TF2. Rare to find anyone any better with that sniper rifle, even now. :P
I remember versing him sniper vs sniper back in the day on GoN servers, could never quite get the upper hand. It was very satisfying (and rare) to get a domination.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 18 Nov 2015, 11:09

He wasn't particularly easy to backstab either.
0 x

Angeredsoul

Post by Angeredsoul » 19 Nov 2015, 16:59

good write up, having been with internode and part of the IGN/GON from my first foray into broadband back in 2003 if i remember correctly, it was the pretty much the CS servers and later the neverwinter night server that I really enjoyed. Whilst the days of dedicated servers and their respective forums may be a thing of the past, lets hope the online communities fair much better.

heres to the future :thumbup:
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970985801]Image[/url]

Barramack

Post by Barramack » 21 Nov 2015, 23:54

Mearehear wrote:I remember poor Urban Terror admins having plenty to keep them busy. That was probably one of the first games I played on Gon servers and there never seemed to be a shortage of hackers, but the admins always did their bit when I submitted a tmr. They were probably a happy (or relieved) bunch when those servers got shutdown!
It was a bit sad when the servers went down, but the game was well into decline by that stage. Now it's a big deal if we can get 8 players on the last remaining Aussie server once a week.

I was an UrT admin from 2009-11. I resigned because I needed an extended break to get other aspects of my life sorted (e.g. finishing a thesis). Yes, the TMRs used to stack up pretty quickly and I think Miss Murder was one of the main workhorses in terms of reducing them (with varying degrees of help from the rest of the team). The problem we faced (and no doubt this wasn't unique) was that banned players were simply resetting their modems and rejoining. I've lost count of how many times we issued perm bans to some of the more persistent hackers (e.g Mudkipz).
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 22 Nov 2015, 00:19

Barramack wrote:It was a bit sad when the servers went down, but the game was well into decline by that stage. Now it's a big deal if we can get 8 players on the last remaining Aussie server once a week.

I was an UrT admin from 2009-11. I resigned because I needed an extended break to get other aspects of my life sorted (e.g. finishing a thesis). Yes, the TMRs used to stack up pretty quickly and I think Miss Murder was one of the main workhorses in terms of reducing them (with varying degrees of help from the rest of the team). The problem we faced (and no doubt this wasn't unique) was that banned players were simply resetting their modems and rejoining. I've lost count of how many times we issued perm bans to some of the more persistent hackers (e.g Mudkipz).
My memory is pretty poor when it comes to names from back then, but I think I recall yours if you were going by this same username. I was playing regularly at night on the gon servers around 2010/11, but I went by Mclaren7703 back then. I used to be on pretty late, often around the same time as SuperDavid and a few others that started that WuTang clan thing. I remember a NZ admin (I think) doing quite a few of my TMRs at one point (kaotik?..hmm, no that might not be it. I forget now, I'm terrible with names), but yes I remember the frustration as a player of seeing those people being able to do a reset and come back. Tough job for any admin when things work that way. It was sad to see the end of those servers, I really enjoyed the game back then.
0 x

Freman

Post by Freman » 22 Nov 2015, 01:13

I remember fondly the helping out and the hacking I got to do... not so fondly a certain admin, a certain cheater, and unrelated a whole bunch of ungrateful gits - that's when I pretty much decided to focus on other things.
0 x
[Reserved]

Barramack

Post by Barramack » 22 Nov 2015, 14:38

I can't recall that username, but I was rarely on late at night. I think you might mean Elschorco, but Khaotic rings a bell. My memory of some of the admins who joined later on is a bit hazy. It was certainly advantageous when we had an admin who could be around during the graveyard shift. We had the prime time well covered with myself, Miss Murder, Terrorcakes, Turd2 (Tom), Death. Onyx and Proteus. One of the original UrT admins Led Magnet created a wonderful name/IP logger for the game. Without that, we would have had trouble banning anyone after that fact, given that we had no B3.

I'm with you, it's sad the servers are no longer with us. I look back on those times very fondly. If something similar came back, I'd certainly be up for looking after the servers again, if some of the old guard were also up for it!
0 x

MissMurd3r

Post by MissMurd3r » 23 Nov 2015, 14:33

-Slayer- wrote:
Hell yeah I can still remember a certain admin going off in IRC about the cheaters and the stupid and only way they had to ban them. :P
:evil: :evil: :evil:

I gave up on that game not long before the servers for it were shut. I put up with it for around 3 years before it became too much and I've played it probably 3 times since. No interest in the game at all now. So many hours spent admining it, despite lack of way to actually rid the server of the idiots.

At least in Minecraft I can get rid of the pests for a long time.
0 x

MissMurd3r

Post by MissMurd3r » 23 Nov 2015, 14:39

Barramack wrote:I can't recall that username, but I was rarely on late at night. I think you might mean Elschorco, but Khaotic rings a bell.
khaotiklord and elscorcho007 were both admins on there.
1 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 23 Nov 2015, 14:47

MissMurd3r wrote:khaotiklord and elscorcho007 were both admins on there.
khaotiklord, that's who I was thinking of :)

I watched some gameplay on YouTube yesterday, just for the memories. Was nice seeing the old maps again, but it certainly looked even more dated that my memory recalled.
0 x